Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
My father wants to research his family tree, and as the person in his life who is Good At The Internet I have been conscripted to help.

So far this has proved to be loving impossible. Here's what we have going for us:
-My dad has a good memory for family history
-His father kept a journal with some records of births/deaths in it

Here are the setbacks:
-As far as anyone can tell we have been Turkish farmers for a few hundred years with no links to nobility and thus few online resources
-The Baltic wars happened and everything got messed up forever, leading to a loss of official records from his village
-Everything is in Turkish, which I can't read
-Everything before 1920 is in old Turkish, which my father can't read
-No one had a surname before ~1930

Are there any resources out there for non-European genealogy research?

Do we just suck it up and go to Turkey to dig through old documents?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
You are a scholar and a saint.

Time to dive into the stacks~