Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I did a lot of searching for our family which is ironic as I'm adopted and not related by blood. Eventually I realized none of them gave a squawk and so why should I.

Some of what I found out ...

Traced my wife's, mother's family back to 17th century France. Wife's father is Irish and those are murky records, only got to early 19th century there.

Traced my mother's family to Kentucky, late 1800's. One problem was illiteracy, the family name spelling and data changed from census to census. Trying to trace people/decedents as they moved across country in those days was interesting.

Traced my dad's family back to Massachussets, late 1700's. My great-aunt told me the family originated from 2 brothers that came from Ireland. She claimed to have a diary kept by one but never showed it to me. I found there were probably 3 brothers, one disappeared from the record, one moved to Canada is presumably the founder of our namesake there. The other is the founder of our namesake in the US. (we have an uncommon name)

I just went to Ancestry.com where all my data was stored and they apparently wiped it; all gone. Pictures I had scanned and uploaded. Graves I had photographed and uploaded. Gone. I hadn't been on there in a couple of years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Worst assassin ever.