Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Ooh that's some excellent news. Maybe I can find some Irish cousins...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Carthag Tuek posted:

Also I just heard through the grapevine that a major hospital near me is going to trash like a century of their records, only keeping the ones that hit a specific day of the month. loving sad and idiotic.

oh man. I mean I get the privacy aspect but that data would be very valuable to researchers of several stripes, like epidemiologists doing historical dives into health outcomes and such, much less genealogists.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Carthag Tuek posted:

im gonna see if i can push my genealogical society to make a civil petition (50k signatures mean they have to take it up in parliament)

THat's a good idea, actually. If the law was made back when disk space was expensive as hell it would make sense to revisit it in the age of 400gb flash drives and such.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Carthag Tuek posted:

i think these laws are originally 60s-70s, so physical space was probably still the major consideration. like, you have to keep all the data for X decades, but after that, only keep 1/30 to save space

ive seen photos of some of these archives, and tbf they are massive. but yea filming the stuff that is deemed trash would make me feel a lot better about trashing the physical documents & as you say disk space is cheap af now

60-70s disk space by and large didn't really exist for anyone short of NASA, it'd have been all about the microfiche.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Carthag Tuek posted:

oh like this is paper archives, so its shelf miles and miles. i get it, its a nightmare. microfiche & -film is wonderfully easy. we should still film stuff before we trash it.

anyway we had a doctor come by and showed us photos of a magnetic tape of some records he had as part of his presentation, like "this tape is impossible to decipher. you can never get the data from this again" and we all work in archives were like "uhhh did you try. you should do that. there are literal societies for data preservation that will help transfer for free. they have the old machines up and running. you should contact them before its too late." hes like "oh! interesting, i might check that out". such a domain expert mindset, to just assume its impossible because nobody in your immediate social circle knows it

Doctors and engineers are especially bad about this, good for you all. I’d follow up with him because I’m betting he won’t because what do a bunch of librarians know anyway/I’m a busy man.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Carthag Tuek posted:

even tax-funded national broadcasters like the bbc or the danish dr routinely taped over their shows until the 1970s/80s

there's a danish christmas mini series for children (we have a new one every year) that was first broadcast in 1980 but only half of the 24 episodes exist in their archives because it wasnt well received (tbf it was weird, it was about two dudes who fell in a hole and they just talk about stuff, then at the very end you see santa claus behind a tree & people were super mad about it) but thats like twice the reason to preserve it to study mores and poo poo, this is tax funded!!

its just nuts to me that they would be like "ehh, lets juts use this tape" when recording something new, like a dad trying to decide whether to keep the godfather or goodfellas but one of the tapes is actually their kid taking their fist steps

NASA actually recycling tape of the moon landings, yeah, stuff was valuable and reused. I think a bunch of Dr. Who episodes were lost the same way, and they found some in Africa where they'd been broadcasted and not erased and reused.

quote:

and im like uhhh why would you put that in writing you horndog. ever heard of opsec?
Holy poo poo well mystery solved. (do DNA to confirm but that's a drat smoking gun. Why can't my drat Swedes be that literate and dumb at the same time, sigh)

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Ever wanted to be on Finding Your Roots and have them solve your brick walls? They've put out an open call! (Yes you have to be in America).

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

50% off gift memberships on ancestry ends the 28th. If you already have a membership just don’t set it to go live until your old one expires because it’s for new memberships only not renewals. This is good for any level of membership and you can choose 6 months or one year.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Define ‘not too expensive.’

Ancestry DNA tests are 49 dollars right now. Since neither ancestry nor 23 and me allow uploads this will be the easiest way he could access their 12 million+ user base to look for DNA matches. Combine that with a six month subscription (you missed the Black Friday sale, though they’ll have another a few days after new years that’s usually pretty good) and he’ll be a happy genealogy nerd.

If money is real tight get him Blaine Bettinger’s The Family Tree Guide to DNA Testing and Genetic Genealogy (2nd Ed)
Only 27.99 and the genetic genealogist’s Bible.

If he’s already beaten you to all this stuff you could try and get your oldest living relative on any of his lines to test (makes going back further easier because you’re cutting back a few generations). If you have to choose choose ancestry; bigger database, you know the population is more likely to be family tree oriented than 23&Me, and they have a nice set of records to search through.

Super DUPER cheap: upload his 23&Me DNA file to FTDNA and take advantage of their 9 dollar offer to unlock family finder there. Lots of European matches there he might not find on the big two (ancestry and 23&Me). It will also allow you to build your family tree there as well. And if you come into more money later you can get him a YDNA test for 47 markers there.

That’s just off the top of my head; if none of those work or he already has them come on back and I’ll throw more at you.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Phlegmish posted:

Thanks for the suggestions! We generally don't give each other physical copies of books anymore, but I'll probably make an exception for the one you mentioned there, especially if it has diagrams and such (which are always tricky to display in e-book format). It sounds like something that would be right up his alley.

It comes in ebook and audiobook formats too.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Carthag Tuek posted:

hoo boy someone found the last will and testament of Benjamin Musaphia, father-in-law to the Gabriel Milan I talk about in one of my first posts itt. Most pertinent to my case is that it gives an alias for the latter: Isaac Semach Arias, a name that has not so far been associated with him in the literature.

So here I am transcribing 17th century Portuguese lol

That sounds a bit Jewish. Wonder if he was a converso?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

They just extracted Mendels’ DNA too!

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Carthag Tuek posted:

also speaking of Sephardim, apparently Dr Jeffrey S. Malka has traced his family back 800 years & is going to do a talk on this channel on sunday 11am pacific
https://www.youtube.com/SephardicGenealogyAndHistory

that sounds like a lot, what sources are even preserved about families and relations in the 1200s??? well i guess we will find out

Doomsday Book goes back to 1086, I suppose it’s possible there’s some equivalent, possibly related to Jews that left Spain and changed their names. I hazily recall something like that put out by Spanish authorities in France (where a lot of them ran).

Somewhere like this maybe

quote:

Since the end of the 13th century, an enclave belonging to the Papal States existed in the Avignon area (today in southern France), with important Jewish communities in Avignon itself and neighboring Carpentras. Until 1791 (when the area was integrated to France), local Jews were not concerned by the French legislation. Isolated from other Jews, these communities mainly remained endogamous. When in 1808 a law signed by Napoleon forced all French Jews to take hereditary surnames, local Jews retained the family names they used for many centuries such as Crémieu(x), Milhaud, Monteux, Naquet, and Cohen. Of the total of about 2,000 persons, a huge portion was covered by only a few dozens of surnames.

The Jews from this Papal enclave are the only families whose presence in the territory of modern France was non-interrupted for many centuries.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Carthag Tuek posted:

yea sure there are fantastic spot sources that will put you back then — if you can make a chain to another source

royals and nobles can do it easy but i wanna know what types of sources there are for regular people... technically its impossible to be even bourgeois if you were born before say 1400

He probably tied in to some royal/noble honestly.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Buddy_Cthulhu posted:

So I've been getting into all of this stuff on and off the last couple years and wish I'd spotted this thread earlier!

The document digging journey has been fascinating, although now I'm running into mysteries outside my understanding how to deal with.

My great grandmother passed away giving birth to her second child, and shortly after her husband abandoned their children, so my grandmother was raised by my great grandmothers parents. Trying to track down my great grandfather is proving a challenge. The record situation is puzzling. This is all in rural Missouri, USA in the early 1920s, but I've found surprisingly good info for the area. I've found her death certificate and tombstone (is it normal for a tombstone to record it as "first name, maiden name, wife of X"? That struck me as odd.) These both confirmed the great grandfather's name. What I can't find is virtually ANYTHING else about the man. No marriage cert, even in the local county marriage records for time period, which I thought was my best hope of narrowing him down. You'd think marriages and deaths would be a bit better recorded in newspapers so starved for stories that "So and so is in town visiting their sister so and so" is front page news.
Welcome!

So it’s possible they ran off to get married in another county/across state lines for whatever reason (family disapproved, she was too young, he had family there, ‘mixed marriage’ where the mix could be religion as well as race (lots of Catholic priests frowned on marrying outside the church for instance) there were several ’Gretna Greens’in America that were basically jurisdictions that would marry you in a hurry few questions asked.

Aside from the various courthouse fires church closings etc there is the possibility that they didn’t actually get married legally and just had a common law thing going on, or only had a church marriage. Check for local churches of her denomination to see if they have any records. Some might be closed but there are archives for most of the major denominations where records from closed churches might go. Google for things like ‘Missouri synod closed church record repository’ or along those lines.

To find him in particular you might want to check census records for nearby jails and prisons, check land deeds with the county clerk/recorder office to see if he owned any land or the house they lived in at the time of her death etc.
Check probate records to see if his surname pops up. Check census records from before they were married to see if you can find family; sometimes you have to go ‘out and down’ to get back up (find descendants of siblings or cousins and trace their lines back in time). He might be living with a brother or sister but listed as a ‘boarder’ or ‘hired hand’ or ‘brother in law.’ He may have changed his name and headed for California or Chicago or wherever the nearest big city is to get lost and make his fortune. He may have killed himself and they hushed it up (suicide or any mental illness was very shameful; speaking of which check asylums and sanitariums as well, The Great Influenza was going around and if they were particularly hard hit he may have ended up in a mass grave or pauper’s grave).
If he was from Mexico check for him in those records as well.
All else fails DNA doesn’t lie, you may well find some cousins who wonder where great-grandad came from and how he seems to have just popped into existence in the 1920s…

quote:

<priest gossip snipped>
WHY IS EVERYONE NAMED SOME PERMUTATION OF ANNA MARIA GERTRUDIS. THERE ARE OTHER SAINTS PEOPLE.
Ah you are singing the song of my people.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Carthag Tuek posted:

warning, kvetching below

helped a guy find some ancestors in sweden on the danish society's forum (https://forum.slaegt.dk, they have an english language subforum too), but he's not reacted to it. two days later i pinged to say "was this usable?" still nothing, but he's replying to other threads. cmon man, at least say thanks :(

also,

turns out its the latter. he is absolutely sure he got the right guy and im wrong about my own research :mad:

nerd fite nerd fite worldstar (I had a similar exchange with someone who put my great-aunt on their tree as married to some relative of theirs I'd never heard of. I found the right person of the same name and commented complete with marriage record. They demanded to know my sources for how I knew she hadn't been married to the guy. I was like 'she literally raised my mom with her husband and I knew her personally for my entire life.' this was apparently not good enough to prove a negative. People gonna people. Don't waste your breath.)

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Carthag Tuek posted:

yeah see this is why i dont maintain a tree online lol. this all is over mail so i can just stop replying if he gets too annoying. still, its my personal honor so i am forced by genealogist bushido to give a poo poo

but strictly speaking, lived experience isnt a valid source :evilbuddy: you could write it down and publish it somewhere, but thats only a secondary source ;)
LIES. (I did find the correct woman, had the same name but nothing else matched and had a marriage cert to the man in question whereas my great-aunt... did not).
And I've long since marked my tree private to avoid harvesters with a note on my profile to message me if they think they match or what have you and that I'd be happy to share. Very few takers most people just want to dine and dash as it were.

quote:

btw geni did a really weird thing the other day, theres an old tree  on there that i built with my late uncle in the 00s, so i sometimes go there to see if anybody uploaded photos (iirc they sync with myheritage? tbh im not sure but i check a couple names once in a while to see if pics show up, its worked before). anyway it had some weird glitch in the tree view: several of my greatX grandparents had my nephews' or nieces' names but when i clicked om them they went to the right ancestor. just now looking again now it seems to be fixed so im just glad my nieces and nephews wont have offspring that result in me being born in 1890, that'd be awkward.
geni ancestry and myheritage will act up occasionally but don't touch it and try to fix it, they usually straighten it out on the backend within 24 hours and everything goes back to normal, unless you tried to unattach and reattach people to make it look right in which case it can screw everything up. Mostly I suspect its just some kind of db corruption and they roll back to the last good copy or something.

Oracle fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jun 3, 2023

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah motivation can be hard. I'm sitting on gigs of evidence I need to upload to the various ancestors found by a researcher like five years ago and every time I look at it I just go 'ugh.' I know I've got it, dammit! Screw everybody else! My tree is private anyway!

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Carthag Tuek posted:

Just found out that my guy who was in America in the 1850s but returned to Denmark willed a part of his estate to the baptist community in Copenhagen. There's been no other indication that he wasn't a regular member of the Danish Church, so now I wonder if he was a cryptobaptist.

What's the record situation like for 1850s baptists?

In the US? Depends whether or not it was south of the Mason-Dixon Line. If he was in a secessionist state it’s possible the records were burned during the war (or in a regular old fire; poo poo caught on fire with depressing regularity in those days and courthouses and churches were no exception). If you know which denomination it could help narrow it down; there was a lot of fragmentation in those days.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Carthag Tuek posted:

thanks! i figured it would be a pretty difficult situation. either way, i know absolutely nothing about denomination or even where in the country he was. ive written the danish baptist church, so we'll see what they say.
do you know when he was in the US? If it was over the decennial census (year ended with 0) he’d possibly be mentioned (or if he were in a state that did their own state level census on years that ended in 5, depending on the state.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Carthag Tuek posted:

it's uncertain, but something like 1852–60 (in december 1860, he says he's been 8 years in america, and he is not in the danish 1860 census taken on feb 1st).

you actually checked ancestry for me back in june 2019 :D

i assume he was either missed or had left the country when US census was taken in 1860 (wow, wikipedia says it was taken over 5 months)

Yeah either is possible, though I had one relative show up in two different households in the same state one year. You also have to keep track of which month it’s taken in because they’ll ask ages and other date related questions as of ‘on or before’ the date they come to your door, which is listed at the top of the sheet.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Hey I’ve got people from Jönköping! Like way the hell back in the 1700s or something, but yeah.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Bilirubin posted:

I'll have to check how far back our records go, off the top of my head I recall the village of Ingatorp near the Kalmar border into the 19th century but IIRC they got back farther

Oh almost certainly; once you get back to Sweden their records are a genealogists wet dream: complete, well-written records that go back centuries and traces every time they move and where alongside the usual b/m/d. It’s like the polar opposite of Irish records.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

drat that’s a lot of documents. Happy anniversary!

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Erainor posted:

Just getting started with my heritage.com. Recommended from one of my youtuber historians i follow. Glad to see it has a good reputation.

The main goal for me is tracing moms family back to the old world. Thanks for being here goons.

Well that's exciting! Where at in the old world? You doing DNA testing?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Lots of Germans and Irish too. And a surprising little pocket of Welsh in the UP along with the Finns (all that mining experience, used to be a lot of copper mines up around there).

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Welp, dad died and I went back home for the funeral and on our way out of the parking lot my sister gave me all kinds of stuff my aunt had saved for me from when she was cleaning out grandmas house (she died a decade ago and we are all a bunch of pack rats so it was… a lot of work).
Y’all there are a ton of news clippings dating back to the 40s, including a Christmas card from my deployed grandfather from 1944. Grandma kept every drat thing that related to our family in the paper. Like ALL the tea.
God drat newspapers were gossipy back in the day. She has clippings of various relatives arrests for drunk and disorderly, drunk driving, punching a cop, my dad being quoted by the labor reporter for the local paper from when a bunch of laid off autoworkers took busses to DC to lobby in the 60s, her and my grandpas picture in the paper when they were the first patrons of some new rural land bank or something…
And every. Single. Engagement, wedding, funeral, birth announcement, even freaking land sales. EVeRyTHING that had to do with our family, down to like 3rd and 4th freaking cousins, it’s there.
My husband says the clippings smell like black mold lol. More like genealogy gold am I rite? I’m still going through them. She has my moms news clipping from when she married my dad which has a picture I’ve never seen before (she may or may not have burned them when they got divorced).
I am in like some kind of nirvana induced shock. Here’s hoping it’s not the black mold, heh.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Carthag Tuek posted:

having a brain fart, what's the word for the "vital data" of a person? like basic birth/baptism/marriage/death/burial dates+places

e: not the vital records themselves, but the summary data

I don’t know that there is one. We usually use BMD (for birth marriage death) and most departments you request that data from are called vital records. Vital events?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Woo!

I’ve decided to take a brute force approach to figuring out the father of my great-grandfather, who has a relatively rare surname for the part of the country he’s in, and am just doing the trees for everyone of his last name in the county. Interestingly enough the spelling changes over the years quite a bit (mostly because spelling wasn’t standardized until towards the end of the 19th century but also due to semi literacy because it’s spelled consistently in other places where English is the dominant language). I signed up for an Irish newspaper archive subscription on a Black Friday whim for a year hoping I could find an article about his trip back home in the 1920s but no such luck. I did however find out a different great-great-grandfather testified in a murder trial when he was twelve! That’s kind of scary (and probably explains some other things).

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Carthag Tuek posted:

Congrats, Erainor! Keep it up :D

I just found one of my great-10-grandfathers, a man named Willum Davidsen. Basically one sentence stating that a fee was paid for bringing part of his inheritance out of the fief on October 15, 1588. He probably died young — an adult son bearing the name of David Willumsen, ie. the first-born, is mentioned 1613 through 1649, and was thus likely born in the 1580s — so let's say he was born in the 1550s. drat.

There is only one older extant record from that area, the fief accountings for 1582–83 in which he is not mentioned, so that's the end of that line! No more to find :o:

drat. I had a researcher find a record from the 1580s about some umpteenth great grandfather in some podunk Bavarian village who’s listed as coming ‘from elsewhere.’ Like thanks guys way to vague that up.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Erainor posted:

1485 and 17 generations back in the highlands of Scotland.

Awesome, whereabouts? You hit the Doomesday book?

I have Scots-Irish from Ayrshire that all their Protestant descendants are adamant there are no other records for and get quite flustered when I find them in Catholic ones in both Ireland and Canada. Makes sense why they lost those family lines, given that’s how mine got sundered (guy married not just a Catholic girl but a French-Canadian Catholic girl).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah I’ve seen that mentioned as an equivalent. Also my bad, Domesday was both earlier than the cited date and didn’t cover Scotland as at that time it was a kingdom in its own right and not under William the Conquerors domain. There does not appear to be a Scottish equivalent.