Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Here we go:

quote:

Se Tillæg Nr. 18. Blandt dem, hvis Arvelodder Th. Bang havde bestyret, var Simon Pedersen Hoff, sikkert en Søn af Fynboen Peder Simonsen Hoff, der døde som Præst i Blidstrup i Nordsjæland. Simon Hoff blev 1653 Student fra Frederiksborg Skole og var siden Lærer for Bangs Børn og tillige hans Amanuensis. Den 12 Dcbr. 1658 anbefalede Bang ham som «en lærd og fin Karl» til at blive Konrektor i Ribe. Dette Embede opnaaede han dog ikke. Derimod blev han Rektor og siden Lector theol. i Trondhjem, i hvilken Stilling han døde i en høj Alder 1708 (se mit Skrift, Studenternes Deltagelse i Kbhvns. Forsvar, S. 277, og. Nyt hist. Tiddskrift. VI, 542).

quoted from Kirkehistoriske samlinger / udgivne af selskabet for Danmarks kirkehistorie, tredie række, femte bind, by Holker Fr. Rørdam, Kjøbenhavn, I Komission Hos Univ. Boghandl. G. E. C. Gad., Thieles Bogtrykkeri, 1884–86

page 245, permalink <https://hdl.handle.net/2027/hvd.ah67vf?urlappend=%3Bseq=253>, accessed 21 May 2019

This is in a chapter/article entitled “Professor Dr. Thomas Bangs Levned” by Holger Fr. Rørdam, pp. 193–299

In addition, the book has an annotation that reads: “Version: 2018-09-25 14:57 UTC”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
There’s a reason I posted what I did. I don’t know what Krankenhaus is using as a citation format but best to give them everything I can.

Of course Krankenhaus SHOULD be citing my excerpt as a forum post rather than the underlying material but... The least I can do is give the information for anyone who comes looking.

Also, can I suggest telling the Internet Archive to archive any webpage you’re planning on citing with the Save Page Now feature?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Oracle posted:

Oh that was absolutely not aimed at you CC. I just came across it and thought it was a nice resource, especially since I tend to be haphazard about my sourcing and just write everything down I can possibly find about the source so I can 'clean it up later.'

No offense taken! Was just trying to illustrate how important citation is by pointing to something just a few posts up.

My own personal strategy is to jot down everything like you do, but I try to clean it up according to the style established by the incredible handbook Evidence Explained, but it sometimes gets a bit pedantic when I’m entering data into GRAMPS.

I do wish software developers would spend some time on citation UIs so it doesn’t feel so tedious, since it seems equally bad across all platforms.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Your best shot IMO would be to go probate hunting. With any luck, your ancestor left a will that would name that son. Of course, your ancestor being that young when he died, it very likely went into administration instead and you may be out of luck.

Another option given the mid-1870s to 1880 timeframe would be to try to find a newspaper obituary. 1875 to 1910 or so was the heyday of the rural newspaper and if they were notable enough you MIGHT get a listing of the kids’ names. It’s a little less of a sure thing though since your Arkansas locale may not have kept a newspaper archive or you might not luck out and only get a report that he died without even listing the number of kids he had.

Finally there’s nominally still good old-fashioned church records, I suppose, but I haven’t had enough experience to know how reliable those are in Arkansas around that time.

If those all fail I don’t have much else to suggest that I’d be comfortable relying on. A death certificate for the son may list his parents, but this is not a guarantee, and is obviously going to be unreliable, based on third party remembrances 50 to 80 years later. Depending on Arkansas laws, how long the son lived, and whether he needed one, there’s also a possibility the son might have had a delayed birth certificate issued while he was still alive, which might be marginally more reliable (but still based on second-hand knowledge 40 to 60 years on). The couple of delayed birth certificates I’ve found were issued in Illinois in the 1940s to people born in the late 1880s and 1890s, though, and not so much the mid 1870s so YMMV.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jul 2, 2019

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

*tsk* The Archdiocese of Freiburg would be so much more helpful to me. Oh well.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Yeah, city directories aren’t usually helpful in my research, but there’s been one notable exception:

An ancestor of mine, Anton P., had always been known to have immigrated to America, but his daughter had stayed behind in Europe with her grandparents. I had always wondered what had happened to him and stumbled upon a death record with his name in turn of the century St. Louis.

Unfortunately, this Anton was poor, with no relations (his death record was my first time learning what a “potter’s field” was) and while the record was suggestive that it was my Anton (roughly correct age and a birth in The right country) there just wasn’t enough to make me sure it was the right Anton, and census records never revealed him any time between when he left Europe and his death.

By pure chance, I happened upon his name in a St. Louis city directory the year before he died though, and since it was 1901, I assumed he might be in the 1900 census at the same address. From there I was able to dig around in the Census records for the page where the enumerator went through his building.

Sure enough, there he is (with a badly digitized name, which is why I couldn’t find him before) and with his immigration year and birth country, I felt certain I had found the right Anton.

So yeah, it really is a matter of knowing when and where to use those directories. If you have ancestors who lived in cities and might have moved from apartment to apartment, they can be invaluable in connecting folks across the city, if you know their occupations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
By the way, if you haven’t previously encountered them, you should familiarize yourself with the concept of dit names, because the records are gonna have a lot of them and they are gonna confuse the heck out of you if you aren’t familiar.

quote:

A name such as Adolphe Guillet dit Tourangeau can translate as "Adolphe Guillet, called Tourangeau", where both "Guillet" and "Tourangeau" are used as surnames, sometimes together and sometimes individually in different situations. The dit name carried the same legal weight as the original family name with regard to land transfers and the naming of children.