Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

uvar posted:

I don't know about the rest of the continent, but The Oxford Dictionary of Family Names in Britain and Ireland was published about a month ago, and is kind-of-searchable for free. The closest match it has is Legassick, which is "unexplained, possibly Huguenot". (Index page, you can get entries from the search preview if you're cunning/patient) Ancestry.com records look like probably French, but I don't have access to those sections from my home computer. And I never really know how trustworthy these kinds of sites are: https://www.houseofnames.com/legasse-family-crest

No developments with my tree - father has got distracted with rebuilding his old car, and I'm busy with work. I guess it's never too late for my mother to have a turn...

Huguenots! Fun! My father's side is Huguenot. Our family is pretty well documented in America both in general by the Huguenot Society and specifically in a book written by my relatives that traces my family from me (it was written shortly after I was born) to my ancestor who fled France and arrived in New York in the 1670s-90s.

However before that ancestor it gets much harder to find information. His birthplace in France is known but not his birth date or parents. One of these days I want to pick up the search. I'd do it now but I don't have a copy of the book (my dad has it and he is across the country) to start entering data and searching online. Maybe I'll remember next time I go home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU