Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

So glad I was pointed to this thread! I made a thread in Ask/Tell but this thread answers a lot, including questions I didn't know I had.

I think my current goal is to verify whether a certain man really is my ancestor. There is some dispute about whether he was or not. I'm hoping there's enough DNA info out there to verify whether he is or not. I'd love advice on the best way to go about this.

Andre Bernard was born in or around 1620 in Beauvoir-Sur-Mer, in western France. He became a stonemason, and around 1641 migrated to New France (or Acadia), and came into the service of one of Acadia's governors, Charles La Tour. There were two governors, La Tour and Charles d'Aulnay, because the lieutenant governor had died and the bureaucrats in France divvied up the land between these two. However, their incompetence in doing so caused these two to quarrel over certain places.

La Tour had built a fort on the shore around where Saint John, New Brunswick is now. It was a strategic trading location and d'Aulnay was not happy about this. While La Tour was better liked by people, d'Aulnay had better connections (he was apparently related to Cardinal Richelieu). d'Aulnay attacked the fort while La Tour was away, which became the Acadian Civil War. La Tour's wife led the defense of the fort, and it held until the 3rd day. d'Aulnay promised to let the men go if he could take the fort, but once Madam La Tour agreed he changed his mind and had almost all the men executed, and made her watch with a noose around her neck.

One man from La Tour's fort was the hangman, it's not certain whether he volunteered for the role or was forced into it. That man was Andre Bernard, my supposed 8-greats grandfather. After the hangings, he was sent back to France and told the courts what happened, who then sent him back with an envoy to figure out what the gently caress to do about this shitshow.

Apparently the villagers and even Andre's wife (Andrée Guyon, they'd had children) wanted nothing to do with him, so he took up with a Mi'kmaq (Indian) woman and they also had children. Andrée meanwhile married another man, Antoine Belliveau and they had children. So the question is who among these four are the parents of Rene Bernard, different sources have different answers. I believe the University of New Brunswick may have info about Andre's second wife.

Fun facts:
- I visited Beauvoir-Sur-Mer in August. There's a church there that was built in 1040. Got a lot of photos.
- after the Acadian Expulsion (1755), Acadians were still being mistreated and displaced by the English. The village of Tignish in PEI was founded by 8 (or 9?) founding families, one of them headed by my 4-greats grandfather. They were apparently in hiding until the English left before they founded the village.
- my 3-greats grand-uncle was a farmer who became a justice of the peace, and PEI's first Acadian politician (and was a Speaker of the PEI legislature). Here's a photo of him:

A current PEI politician is his direct descendant.

- my great-grandfather was PEI's first Acadian lieutenant-governor. Here's a photo of him:

The current Lt-Gov may be related to him as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

British Isles goons: Oxford Dictionary of Family Names in Britain and Ireland is free for a week, starting today

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

AncestryDNA is 40% off: https://www.bradsdeals.com/p/458938?c_id=5189&u_id=67424549&d=081320

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Oracle posted:

Oh hey, clear your calendars. newspapers.com is free all weekend (if you already have an account and signed up for their spam they send a link right to you).

The one with all the actual useful stuff that's usually blocked with the poo poo-tier subscription included in 'all access' on Ancestry. Publisher Extra or whatever they call it. ALL the papers.

Thanks for this! I logged into my account, connected it with my Ancestry account and checked the box for "Send me Newspapers.com Special Offers and Surveys" - guessing that's the right one to get the email. I'm expecting to be snowed in and Monday is a holiday for my company, now I've got something to do.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Gravitee posted:

I have an account there, just the free one right now, and I never got the email. I tried to search but I'm still locked out of the good stuff.

Same :(

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Seems to be working, thanks!

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

What relation is my great-grandfather's first cousin to me?

I've found a lot of articles concerning my GG (who was a lieutenant-governor), and quite a few about his cousin, who was an Arctic Explorer (and his cousin's uncle, who was part of the Canadian Arctic Expedition).

Thanks again for the heads-up about newspapers.com, I've spent a lot of hours finding great stuff including this from 12/23/1920:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Thanks! I had looked at a couple other charts but that one made it click for me.

Next question: what relation is that cousin's uncle to me? I'm thinking first cousin 4x removed if I'm reading that chart correctly.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Oracle posted:

Oh also:

MyHeritage is offering free uploads and access to their DNA tools:
For a limited time only, between February 21–28, 2021, we are waiving the unlock fee! You can now upload your DNA data and get access to all advanced DNA tools for these files - forever!
https://www.myheritage.com/dna/upload

Instructions:
https://faq.myheritage.com/en/article/how-can-i-upload-a-dna-file-to-myheritage

Oh man, if I could get my Ancestry results in time for this I'd be all over it.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Carthag Tuek posted:

What's CB?

Also lmao "a nearby Aussie corporal to arrest them, who also refused in an abusive manner" I wonder which words he used :thunk:

Confined to Barracks

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Upgrade posted:

We're redoing our garden and deciding what plants to plant. We have a small dog. We're interested in planting inkberry (nkberry ilex glabra), but I've found some websites (https://www.pawsdogdaycare.com/toxic-and-non-toxic-plants/inkberry) say its toxic for dogs... but it turns out like every shrub and bush is toxic for dogs. Our dog doesn't eat dropped berries, but theres a world in which she accidentally ingest something -- is this a terrible idea? Does anyone have recommendations for non-toxic shrubs/bush type plants?

You might try asking in a different thread.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Question:

So, my mom passed away in October (gently caress you, cancer), and recently a first cousin of my dad's heard the news and reached out. Paul and I connected on Facebook, and we noticed a mutual friend in Matt, a guy I went to school with. Turns out he's somehow related to me:

Me -> Paul (1st cousin once removed) -> Carla (his sister in law) -> Matt (her brother).

What relation is Matt to me?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I'm just curious as to where he falls in the cousin chart. Just for fun.

Thank you though, for the kind words about my mom.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I'm guessing Utah, and FamilySearch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES