Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Both my grandfathers were into their Genealogy as "something to do while retired" My maternal grandfather even wrote up a little spiral bound book of the family history and had a few dozen copies made. I think my mom still has one. He was able to go back to Rollo (Rolf) [the guy from The Vikings TV Show] in Normandy in the late 890s, early 900s. My paternal grandfather was able to go back to Wenceslaus I, Duke of Bohemia (who miiiight be the one the christmas song is based on)

Really, though I think they found close enough connections to "famous" historical figures and said "there, that's a good a point as any to stop looking." I mean, there got to be a gazillion people that could all claim the same ancestry from both of those guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

ltr posted:

the Daughters of The American Revolution often has their history traced back even further.

Yeah, my wife is DAR, and she's got her Genealogy very well documented out to a hilarious degree for her membership.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Snapchat A Titty posted:

How long are graves kept in America? I suppose you have enough space to keep them a good while. Here, graves are reused after 20 years if noone wants to pay for an extension. The headstones are thrown away & ground up for roadfill or what have you, though sometimes a church may save particularly old or interesting ones along the cemetery wall. Some of m great great grandparents' headstones are by the wall in my hometown.

Up here in New England they're kept...basically forever. I can walk or drive to just about any cemetery and see headstones from the revolutionary war era or earlier. Sometimes too you can come across a little family cemetery that isn't used anymore and see a dozen or so ancient headstones on the side of the road, or just visible from the interstate or even in the woods (most of the wooded area in New England is second or third generation forest, there isn't much original woodland so what is now a forest was likely farmland 150 years ago)