Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Jaguars! posted:

I'm now in absolute awe of the rootschat forum.

Thanks for mentioning this. My father passed away earlier this year and it's got me interested in genealogy since we didn't know much about his side of the family. I learned way more than he ever told me just by finding his birth certificate and old passports, for example. My mother had mentioned he was born near Stonehenge, which I wasn't entirely sure about. His passports all list Devizes as his birthplace, and it's somewhat close. But sure enough, his birth certificate lists a street address in Netheravon which is only a few miles away from Stonehenge.

I'm looking at scanning in a lot of family photos. What systems for organizing them have worked well? I found this open source tool called Gramps, is it any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

uvar posted:

fake edit: Oh boy why do I always write so much. I really didn't mean for this to be so long and didactic, sorry about that, please enjoy my drivel!

That's all helpful, thank you. Gramps looks like the average open source project with a less than ideal UI and should be useful for the actual genealogy work.

Was your issue with the scanner the speed of each scan or the quality? I'd be nervous putting photos through an autofeeder like a ScanSnap in case it mangled them. I got a nicer Canon flatbed scanner for this project and I can already tell I'm going to need to dust and clean the glass pretty often.

Do you do anything special with the reverse side of the photo? I'm sure some are going to have handwritten notes, and I probably won't be able to decipher a lot of the old-timey cursive handwriting. I could scan it in too, and just give it the same file name as the front side and append -reverse or something.

I was a little wary of putting too much info into the metadata for photos so it's nice to hear from someone that it works. How do you go about searching through the metadata, is it just dependent on the features of the software you're using?

Have you found any methods that work for getting extended family to help identify people in photos? I can imagine most of mine are not very tech savvy and it could be a real mess when they respond that the one with people by a picnic table has Uncle Bob and Cousin Vinny in it, and there's multiple photos with picnic tables and you can't tell if Vinny is on the left or right. Not to mention sending potentially hundreds of photos as attachments. Now that I'm thinking about it, doesn't Google Photos allow people to add comments? They'd just have to have a google account I think. Some of them are old enough they don't even use computers. I guess I could mail prints of the scanned photos and ask them to write notes on the back and mail them back?