Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
Hi all. Count me in as someone foolish enough to try to sort through Latin American (Mexican) genealogical records.

Following up on last page's FTDNA sale discussion, can someone explain the pros/cons for choosing FTDNA's Y-37 versus mtFull sequence?

Y-37 is on sale for $139 (from $169) but the mtFull sequence is on sale for $149 (from $199).

Is the mtDNA Plus package ($79) more than enough for purposes of a very passive hobby?

Conventional records-based research into my ancestors gets us back to about the 1830's on my father's paternal side and 1770's on father's maternal side. On my mother's side, 1730's (paternal) and 1830's (maternal) side. Not too optimistic on a continuing records search as church records probably burned down in Native American raids, priest's writing is intelligible or records are water damaged, etc. Would still find it interesting though to see what more could be uncovered on both paternal/maternal sides using DNA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
Was looking through a ship manifest to track down my wife's great-great-grandfather's arrival.

Anyone have thoughts on what the listed profession might be? Might be a lost cause.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
Thank you both for the suggestions.

The ship sailed from Liverpool to Quebec in 1901. The notes all appear to be in English.

Many of the professions are rather easy to read (miner, barrister, jeweler, merchant, teacher, student, physician, school master, engineer, labourer, dentist, justice of peace, clergyman, cattleman, stonemason, carpenter, etc.).

Best I can conclude is that it says "Butcher" (based on a comparison of similar entries) but that might be influenced by my wife's aunt mentioning that she thought this relative was a cattleman (butcher) back in the old country.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
To further support the 'Butcher' theory, the 1910 US Census shows this individual as working in a Butcher Shop. [Thank you to those who recently posted the free Census access info!]

It also lists what might be "Petrol Merchant"? I know that one of his sons later went on to be a coal merchant, so it would be a logical connection if it in fact does say 'petrol merchant'.

Powaqoatse posted:

Also, though it looks like it says he's from Russia, I wonder if he was in England during the April 1, 1901 census – perhaps that could clarify. It's available online at multiple places.

Another option would be to look into the men listed below him in the original pic. They all should have the same occupation, might be sufficient to search the 1905/1910 US censuses & see if there's a majority of butchers under those names.

Thank you for this tidbit of information.

The family is from present-day Belarus. It's believed that the family traveled first to Bremen, Germany where they likely sailed to Hull, England and then later left Liverpool by boat. The three eldest children apparently traveled on their own as the ship manifest doesn't include them. Might be that the family secured their travel to Quebec/New York first and then followed suit. If that's the case, could be that they were in England around census time. Will look into that a bit more.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre

Bilirubin posted:

:colbert:

It clearly says "Retard Merchant" which isn't terribly sensitive today but back then was probably pretty prestigious

Ha! Going to side with "Retail Merchant."

If anyone ever needs any assistance with translations from Spanish, feel free to PM me.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
I have a last name in my family tree of "Merinam". But this was a Spanish-speaking priest transcribing the name as he was hearing it.

For reference, he wrote "Turill" for what appears to be "Terrell".

Anyone have any suggestions on what English/Irish surname could possibly be close to "Merinam" in pronunciation [merr-i-nahm]? [Well, as close as Thu-reel is to Ter-rel]

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre

Oracle posted:

Possibly Merin/Marin or Merina/Marina, if he was writing in Latin the -en and -am suffixes are latinization of Anglican names. Like Martinus for Martin and what have you. Google translate suggests Merino.

Here's a big ol' list of Latinized names and their Anglican counterparts.

(Yes, this is for Irish records but Catholic means universal so yay Latin).

Here's a list of Merin variations in Irish records, just for funsies.
How far back a record we talkin here?

The marriage record is from 1868.

I think that for the longest time, we simply had the name "Samuel Turill" (or "Toril"). I think my brother had scraped it off someone else's tree for future research.

He and I both tackled it at different points but we weren't finding anything as we didn't have their age, wedding year, etc., to help guide the search.

Eventually we track down the marriage record from the Catholic Church archives. It lists Samuel's father as "Juan" and his mother as "Rebeca".

Nothing too out of the ordinary with the names "Samuel" or "Juan" for Northern Mexico but "Rebeca" and "Turill" definitely stood out as first/last names for that area and time. The record also notes that Samuel is originally from (present-day) San Antonio, Texas which is about 800km from where the marriage took place.

Revisit it some time later and discover a written note on the subsequent church record page in which the priest notes that the 'foreign' 'suitor' had approached the church about marriage [to the Catholic bride-to-be] months prior but that church approval was held off pending contact with the Archbishop of San Antonio so that they could identify witnesses that could attest to his marriage status and other stuff. I'm guessing there was a fee associated with this research as the priest goes on to note that the "foreigner" was "very poor" but that the services would be provided for free since the suitor had true desire to finally be married within the Catholic church and that otherwise they would be living a life of sin as they'd only be married under Civil law. (Unfortunately, no civil records of that era seem to exist).

Of note was that the priest explicitly referred to Samuel as a "foreigner".

Fast forward two years after their wedding in Mexico and it's possible that Samuel and his Mexican-bride are still living on the border but two miles north on the Texas (US) side. Reason for this possibility is that it happens to be time for the 1870 US Census and there's a record of "Samuel Terrell" and "Victoriana Terrell". It also notes that they have a 10 year old son. Assuming these two Samuel and Victoriana are the same as the ones above, it could suggest that they had in-fact been married under Civil law for some time (or just had a baby out of wedlock 8-years prior to their church marriage).

The census person also notes that though this Samuel Terrell was born in Texas, both of his parents are foreign born.

Piecing this all together, we think that our "Samuel Turill" who married "Victoriana" are possibly the same people that were living a two miles away two years later who reported being "Samuel Terrell" and "Victoriana Terrell", with a son named "John" (possibly named after "Juan" or "John" Turill).

Could be the case or we could be off on this one. Would like to try and find the birth record for "Samuel Turill" or "Samuel Terrell" to see if it all fits. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find the 1830/1840 church/civil records for San Antonio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre

Powaqoatse posted:

That's a very reasonable hypothesis imo, but where does Merinam enter the picture?

fwiw, marinam is accusative feminine singular of marīnus (marine, adj), as in "videō ___ marinam" (I see the __ of the sea) – I think, anyway, I don't actually speak latin :D

Merinam was noted as Samuel's mother's surname.

From the marriage record, dated April 1868:

quote:

Samuel Turill originally from San Antonio de Bejar and resident here as of 10 years, legitimate son of Juan Turill and Rebeca Merinam [Merrinam, Merenam, etc.]

And from the priest's note dated January 1868:

quote:

Having presented before me the foreigner Samuel Turill, originally from San Antonio de Bejar, and resident of this village for 11 years, legitimate son of Mr. Juan Turill and of Mrs. Rebeca Moriman

Merinam, Merrinam, Merenam, Moriman, who knows? :shrug:

The priest's note calling Samuel a "foreigner" makes me think that he was simply noting that Samuel wasn't Mexican.

The Texas Revolution took place between 1835-1836, with Texas becoming a republic in 1836. New waves of emigrants arrived in Texas after it became independent from Mexico (they really wanted white people to settle the border lands), bringing Germans, Czechs, Irish, French, and other Europeans into the area.

Based on the 1870 census, Samuel was born in Texas around 1838. His parents both being noted on the census as being of "foreign birth" makes me think they were likely part of one of these emigrant waves that first arrived in the San Antonio area.

To help settle the border lands, the U.S. Army established Fort Davis in 1854. This outpost was approximately 130 km from where the marriage took place in 1868.

Piecing it all together (forcing it into a possible scenario):
1836 - Texas Independence
1836-8 - Terrell family arrives in Texas
1838 - Samuel Terrell is born in San Antonio.
1854 - Fort Davis established (Samuel is 16)
1858 - Samuel (aged 20) arrives in the area.
1860 - Birth of son, John
1868 - Marriage in Mexico under the Catholic church. (aged 30)
1870 - US Census, noting Samuel Terrell is 32 years old.