Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

REI Quarter Dome T1 or w/e their solo tent is nowadays. The sleeping space is fine, but I could really use a better vestibule situation. I also have the Half-Dome T2, but IIRC it's pretty heavy for solo missions.

You people who sleep in hammocks, is it possible to sleep In any other fashion than "on your back"? Seems like one of those fads that's going to go away in a couple years, though my buddy from NE swears by 'em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

OSU_Matthew posted:

It's already been mentioned, but sleeping at a diagonal is key to comfort because you lay flat and your body is caressed equally with no pressure points. At home, I'm a stomach/side sleeper, but in a hammock, I have zero issues sleeping soundly on my back, which I can't do in a regular bed. I sometimes roll over on my side or downward diagonal to change it up, but I'm otherwise perfectly content on my back in a hammock.

Also seems like every time I go out, I see more and more hammocks represented. Hammocks are win win win, less weight, superior comfort, more exposure to the outdoors while being isolated from rain runoff and ground bugs/critters, easier to find a site, plus you can cook breakfast and coffee in bed. Never going back to a tent.

Solid. My buddy is coming with me on a trip in a couple of weeks. Aside from the obvious tree-line related issue (I live in CO), I'm pretty interested in seeing how this thing works.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Welp. Anyone have experience with the polyurethane delamintaing off a rainfly? I just set up my Quarter Dome T1 to prep for a trip later this week and the fly is sticky as hell. As far as I've been able to research, this means the PU coating has basically melted off the surface and is irreparable. The tent is 8 years old, but I've used it exactly once. :smith:

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Yeah, you can't just buy a fly from REI. I'm going to take it in tomorrow and see if they'll treat it as a warranty issue rather than a "return" since I'm perfectly fine with a repair/replacement. Interestingly, the Half Dome 2HC I got from them something like 13 years ago is still in great condition, and I've used it a ton.

Edit: The good news is — and I didn't know this before — old purchases are grandfathered in to REI's old über return policy. The bad news is that REI's "warranty" is essentially their return policy. Based on the new 1-year return policy, I asked the guy if they warranty their tents for any longer than a year. He said no, if anything fails for any reason after a year, you're SOL. Something to think about when tent shopping. :shrug:

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 15, 2016

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Just got back from a two day trip with the Cooper Spur UL2. Got to sit through everything from 60° and sunny to torrential hail. The tent held up like a champ. It's significantly lighter and more packable than any other tent I've used so far (it's replacing the Quarter Dome T1 mentioned above for solo use). The only caveat is that there's no way in hell I'd feel comfortable using this tent without a footprint. Other than that, it's got tons of pockets, tons of space, and travels very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I have two kids. We generally use a different tent.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Aug 21, 2016

• Locked thread