Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
The coolest part about the vive is the large amount of unique and interesting games that haven't been available outside of cell phones till now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Oh hey, a Vive thread, great! It's even god a top quality OP! Since I've turned my back on Oculus this seems like it would be a great place to...

oh.

So in non "Knifegrab continues to be a crazy person" news, my Vive is looking to arrive early next month and I am hype as hell!

Cheston posted:

Is there a way to reduce the threshold at which the chaperone bounds become visible? I have literally the minimum space required for room-scale, and in games like Job Simulator the chaperone grid is constantly turning on and off as I reach for things and bring them back to me, even though by the game's own design I never go out of bounds. I just want to turn the grid off for that game and take responsibility if I hit my TV or something.

(Also, is there a way to make Job Simulator not turn everything near the threshold transparent when the chaperone grid pops up?)

Is there no longer an option for this in the advanced developer menu?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
Lol at people coming into a effort thread about the Vive that knifegrab made and then getting lovely with what he might say about the rift how retarded do you have to be

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

TomR posted:

Knifegrab this is true and not a troll. Things that are true and presented without snark are not trolls.

You do have other assholes in here trolling though so that sucks. Seriously Knifegrab did a great job on the OP and there are things to discuss about how cool and good the Vive is. No need to troll.

It is a troll. I will rework my wording, Oculus is not targeting roomscale. They can do seated, and they can do standing, and while capable of limited roomscale it is not a major area they are targeting

quote:

It's more about how the technology is presented than the differences in how the two platforms work, Moore claims. "The only difference is marketing," he said. "Oculus is putting all their chips behind the fact that no one has a living room or wants to sacrifice the space, and and Valve is saying it's better this way. It's all a marketing thing.

The APIs reflect this, with Oculus' software being geared towards seated experiences. "But it's not limited to that," Moore said. "So we're really excited about room-scale Oculus support. But we understand that most people will have both cameras set up on their desk with the Oculus."

Source.

Edit: I decided to just remove the part mentioning the rift at all in the OP so as not to trigger some of you delicate flowers.

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 01:43 on May 24, 2016

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'm going to make a custom foam for my vive. Pressing it against my head so the foam squishes a bit makes the sharp fov wider still, though I don't really have the small sweet spot issue some were describing. Most of the fov is perfectly useable for even reading text already, but the difference is still between "VR owns" and "ahh, such clarity".

Also, I found a single dead subpixel while browsing this thread earlier. It's only really apparent on a flat white or other similar bright colour background, as it turns cyan (I guess a dead red subpixel). Very annoying. I'll see if it goes away again in the next few days, otherwise it's calling HTC and raging time, though I have doubts they'll even want to hear about replacing over 1 dead subpixel?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Truga posted:

I'm going to make a custom foam for my vive. Pressing it against my head so the foam squishes a bit makes the sharp fov wider still, though I don't really have the small sweet spot issue some were describing. Most of the fov is perfectly useable for even reading text already, but the difference is still between "VR owns" and "ahh, such clarity".

Also, I found a single dead subpixel while browsing this thread earlier. It's only really apparent on a flat white or other similar bright colour background, as it turns cyan (I guess a dead red subpixel). Very annoying. I'll see if it goes away again in the next few days, otherwise it's calling HTC and raging time, though I have doubts they'll even want to hear about replacing over 1 dead subpixel?

Do those sites that flash a bunch of colors through your display to "wake up" dead pixels even work anymore? Did it ever work? Have you tried using that in like the desktop viewer or something?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Hmm. I'll try doing it, but I don't think oleds work like that. Thanks for the idea.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Truga posted:

Hmm. I'll try doing it, but I don't think oleds work like that. Thanks for the idea.

Yeah sorry its been a long while since I've dealt with dead/stuck pixels, this article might help though: http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/how-to-fix-a-dead-pixel/4/#:spqmDwcMkJ1OGA

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Knifegrab posted:

It is a troll. I will rework my wording, Oculus is not targeting roomscale. They can do seated, and they can do standing, and while capable of limited roomscale it is not a major area they are targeting

I mentioned standing, not roomscale . . .

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Poetic Justice posted:

I mentioned standing, not roomscale . . .

Sorry mix up of terms then I thought you were talking about roomscale. I removed the offending bit from the OP so you can chill out. Regardless I have found more quotes of people saying the API is targetted towards seated so my point still stands but I don't give a gently caress because this is the Vive thread and not the Rift thread.

Also lol if anyone would ever want to play a standing (but not roomscale) game laffo.

Off to play Overwatch.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Knifegrab posted:

Sorry mix up of terms then I thought you were talking about roomscale. I removed the offending bit from the OP so you can chill out. Regardless I have found more quotes of people saying the API is targetted towards seated so my point still stands but I don't give a gently caress because this is the Vive thread and not the Rift thread.

Also lol if anyone would ever want to play a standing (but not roomscale) game laffo.

Off to play Overwatch.

True true, it's all good man :)

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Knifegrab posted:

Off to play Overwatch.

Most Vive games that use teleporting are defacto standing, since once you start teleporting there's not really any reason to walk around. I think this is generally borne out by peoples' experiences; it's certainly been mine. I'll move around for stuff like Job Simulator and Space Pirate Trainer but for stuff like Vanishing Realms and The Gallery there's really no reason to walk around.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
So you can get a Vive in what, 2 or 3 weeks now? Did anyone get a chance to try the Elite beta with the Vive? If so is it any better than it was?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

TomR posted:

So you can get a Vive in what, 2 or 3 weeks now? Did anyone get a chance to try the Elite beta with the Vive? If so is it any better than it was?

I have been playing the elite beta with the vive. First off performance and clarity has been improved drastically. Text is still a bit problematic. They posted patch notes in beta 5 that included something about scale UI for the vive, but the change never actually made it to beta 5 or 6, hopefully the next beta adds it. I'll post about it when it drops.

Also yes it seems to be about 1-3 weeks currently.

Lemming posted:

Most Vive games that use teleporting are defacto standing, since once you start teleporting there's not really any reason to walk around. I think this is generally borne out by peoples' experiences; it's certainly been mine. I'll move around for stuff like Job Simulator and Space Pirate Trainer but for stuff like Vanishing Realms and The Gallery there's really no reason to walk around.

Completely disagree. If I am in a game that teleports I walk as much as I can and only teleport when I have to. Also roomscale in things like vanishing realms means when I fight an enemy I can run around him, get behind him, avoid his attacks etc. If that were a "standing experience" I would just stay in place and swing my sword, lame.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

Knifegrab posted:

I have been playing the elite beta with the vive. First off performance and clarity has been improved drastically. Text is still a bit problematic. They posted patch notes in beta 5 that included something about scale UI for the vive, but the change never actually made it to beta 5 or 6, hopefully the next beta adds it. I'll post about it when it drops.

Also yes it seems to be about 1-3 weeks currently.

Thanks brother, I'm looking forward to it.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
The HTC oculus store is hard to use. I don't like how they mapped the cursor to the front of your face. I have to run around this room scale area to even launch lucky tail.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Knifegrab posted:

Completely disagree. If I am in a game that teleports I walk as much as I can and only teleport when I have to. Also roomscale in things like vanishing realms means when I fight an enemy I can run around him, get behind him, avoid his attacks etc. If that were a "standing experience" I would just stay in place and swing my sword, lame.

I guess you theoretically could but given that the enemies in Vanishing Realms track you extremely quickly I highly doubt that. You can also get behind them faster with teleporting.

The problem with people is that they'll largely do whatever's most effective even if it's less fun. If teleporting is faster and more efficient, then they'll just do that. Budget Cuts does it the best because there's some measure of tradeoff with teleporting, where it's much more of a deliberate action, so for very short distances it does actually become faster to take the step or two, but in Vanishing Realms especially you just sonic hedghog everywhere.

If you make a deliberate effort to walk around then yeah, you'll walk around more, but the game needs to be specifically designed to encourage it and most games (at least, so far) aren't.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Lemming posted:

I guess you theoretically could but given that the enemies in Vanishing Realms track you extremely quickly I highly doubt that. You can also get behind them faster with teleporting.

The problem with people is that they'll largely do whatever's most effective even if it's less fun. If teleporting is faster and more efficient, then they'll just do that. Budget Cuts does it the best because there's some measure of tradeoff with teleporting, where it's much more of a deliberate action, so for very short distances it does actually become faster to take the step or two, but in Vanishing Realms especially you just sonic hedghog everywhere.

If you make a deliberate effort to walk around then yeah, you'll walk around more, but the game needs to be specifically designed to encourage it and most games (at least, so far) aren't.

I would agree with you in most games people do whats most effective, and maybe they do in the Vive, but when I play VR stuff I play it specifically to have the most fun, not be the most effective. Maybe that is due to the lack of difficulty in most VR games, I don't know? I also play SPT to have fun, playing like NEO and diving and using two guns with no shield, but you also tryhard as gently caress that game so maybe you just have a problem playing a game for something other than being highly efficient.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Fighting enemies in Vanishing Realms yeah I just kind of teleported around because it was more effective, but I still enjoyed it a whole bunch. The part that made that game stand out hard for me though was the visual scale of things and how I remembered things in my head. You are *in* the world, looking over and around walls, crawling and crouching, that stuff added so much ~immersion~ for me to really send that game into an extremely enjoyable zone. It was just good fun enjoyable in a way that you literally can not get anywhere else besides that game wearing the vive standing up and walking around your play-space.

I know it was asked already but has anyone done any VorpX stuff with the Vive? I've burned most all the content so far and am looking for more even if it's kinda crappy.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

TomR posted:

I'm not playing the beta and the experience I have with the Vive feels at a minimum equivalent to the 0.5-0.6 experience with the DK2. It's perfectly playable and fine on a 970; if the beta version is better than that's great and I'm looking forward to it.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

KakerMix posted:

Fighting enemies in Vanishing Realms yeah I just kind of teleported around because it was more effective, but I still enjoyed it a whole bunch. The part that made that game stand out hard for me though was the visual scale of things and how I remembered things in my head. You are *in* the world, looking over and around walls, crawling and crouching, that stuff added so much ~immersion~ for me to really send that game into an extremely enjoyable zone. It was just good fun enjoyable in a way that you literally can not get anywhere else besides that game wearing the vive standing up and walking around your play-space.

I know it was asked already but has anyone done any VorpX stuff with the Vive? I've burned most all the content so far and am looking for more even if it's kinda crappy.

I'm not making a commentary about how good I think Vanishing Realms is, just that standing vs room scale in that game, there isn't a huge difference, because the mechanics don't encourage you to move around. You do need to turn around, and it's always better to have more room, but if you only had room to stand, you wouldn't be missing out on much. That's in contrast to something like SPT, where if you only had room to stand, I'd say don't bother. One of the most common comments about that game is also "oh man, I wish I had more space!" which isn't the case with a lot of the teleporting games (for a perfect example, see Windlands. All I did for that game is turn around and maybe take a step or two when I didn't trust the touchpad for movement but wanted to line a jump up a little better).

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

I am a bait taker

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 05:36 on May 24, 2016

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Knifegrab posted:

And that's fine if you want to play games like that, but standing still when I have perfectly good feet sounds awful to me. Moving adds to my immersion and I don't need a carrot for that.

That's fine, but the point is that you can make good games that are standing scale, room scale, seated, etc, and you aren't necessarily missing out on anything if you don't live in a warehouse.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Baited, look at me I am a dummy!

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 05:36 on May 24, 2016

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I'm not arguing against room scale being great, my point is to point out that fun, well designed games exist at standing scale.

You said "Also lol if anyone would ever want to play a standing (but not roomscale) game laffo." and I mean you're entitled to your opinion but Audio Shield as a very extreme example is very popular and the game has you stand in one spot and face one direction.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I was enjoying the hell out of my Vive before the 3M sticky things I was using failed after like a week - I'm gonna get extendable shower-curtain rods and pop them up vertically + attach some camera mounting things for the lighthouses to screw into, but in the meantime I'm stuck with standing / sitting only which sucks

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Lemming posted:

I'm not making a commentary about how good I think Vanishing Realms is, just that standing vs room scale in that game, there isn't a huge difference, because the mechanics don't encourage you to move around. You do need to turn around, and it's always better to have more room, but if you only had room to stand, you wouldn't be missing out on much. That's in contrast to something like SPT, where if you only had room to stand, I'd say don't bother. One of the most common comments about that game is also "oh man, I wish I had more space!" which isn't the case with a lot of the teleporting games (for a perfect example, see Windlands. All I did for that game is turn around and maybe take a step or two when I didn't trust the touchpad for movement but wanted to line a jump up a little better).

Sure I get that but when playing it I constantly was running into the bounds of my playspace and would get the 'go back to the center idiot' prompt that came up. I was moving around my playspace and hiding behind trees and things and I also appreciated that it didn't punish you for having less space to play like SPT does. If you are asking them to incentivize roomscale with some sort of game mechanic I don't know how I feel about that.
You are right though, more space is better and a way to have a whole warehouse would be aces but this is as close as we can currently get right now. I'm still of the mind that locomotion is a software problem more than a treadmill problem but hey, the future will provide.

Lemming posted:

I'm not arguing against room scale being great, my point is to point out that fun, well designed games exist at standing scale.

You said "Also lol if anyone would ever want to play a standing (but not roomscale) game laffo." and I mean you're entitled to your opinion but Audio Shield as a very extreme example is very popular and the game has you stand in one spot and face one direction.

True but given the choice I'd take a well-designed room-scale game over a standing scale one. Audioshield works because it's built into it's design, something like Budget Cuts works far better as a room scale game.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I'm not trying to argue that room scale isn't fun or good or that it can't add anything. My entire point was just that lots of games already exist that are fun even if you stand still. Room scale can add a lot when the game is designed for it (or even if it's not and walking around makes you happy!), but you can still have a lot of fun with the headset even if you don't have a lot of space or just don't feel like walking around for whatever reason.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Lemming posted:

I'm not trying to argue that room scale isn't fun or good or that it can't add anything. My entire point was just that lots of games already exist that are fun even if you stand still. Room scale can add a lot when the game is designed for it (or even if it's not and walking around makes you happy!), but you can still have a lot of fun with the headset even if you don't have a lot of space or just don't feel like walking around for whatever reason.

Having an HMD that is limited to just standing and not roomscale would suck.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Knifegrab posted:

Having an HMD that is limited to just standing and not roomscale would suck.

OK, that's an opinion you're entitled to, but I'd argue that because games like Audio Shield exist it shows you can still have fun with a headset even if you don't have much room.

There are plenty of fun games you can play standing scale on the Vive, like Hover Junkers and Job Sim.

Edit: edits

Lemming fucked around with this message at 04:33 on May 24, 2016

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

i think just standing in every single game available to me would be pretty boring after a while, even if there are some fun games where i'm just standing.

can one not be better than the other or are we just trolling and console warring to suggest that?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Lemming posted:

OK, that's an opinion you're entitled to, but I'd argue that because games like Audio Shield exist it shows you can still have fun with a headset even if you don't have much room.

There are plenty of fun games you can play standing scale on the Vive, like Hover Junkers and Job Sim.

Edit: edits

There are also experiences that are seated that are dope like elite. The neat thing about roomscale is it is a super set that includes seated and standing.

Tweak posted:

i think just standing in every single game available to me would be pretty boring after a while, even if there are some fun games where i'm just standing.

can one not be better than the other or are we just trolling and console warring to suggest that?

No but you see there exist some games that have you standing so clearly roomscale is dead.

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 04:42 on May 24, 2016

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
Why would you even argue that standing is acceptable when you can have roomscale, room scale gives you the option of standing or moving about jfc its the same as people saying walled garden content is good

Sure its a option but as a customer why the gently caress would you pick the substandard option of the two?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Edit: ^^^^^ I'm only taking about the Vive here bro.

Tweak posted:

Again I'm not saying that room scale isn't fun. It certainly has a bigger design space since you can do things in room scale you can't standing and not the other way around, but the point is that just because room scale exists doesn't mean that games where you just stand are "worse." "Better" is also not that useful a description because games are better or worse, control inputs aren't. Control inputs can only be more or less suited to certain tasks, like a racing wheel is more suited to a racing game than a mouse is, but a racing wheel isn't simply "better" than a mouse. As an example, I don't think Audio Shield would be improved if the dots targeted different areas of the room, forcing you to walk around to hit them. The fun part in that game is hitting blobs with your hands, and adding walking wouldn't really add much there. I don't think room scale would be "better" for that game (obviously I could be wrong, this is hypothetical)

Edit 2: I'm not trying to ascribe any intentions to other peoples' posts but you all seem to be assuming I'm making an argument I'm not. The Vive is still fun even if you don't have a large room to play it in. There are good games at standing scale, and even if you have plenty of room, there are games that target standing that are still worth playing. Obviously having a ton of room gives you more options. Nobody is saying room scale isn't fun or worthwhile.

Lemming fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 24, 2016

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Lol I took the bait.

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 05:23 on May 24, 2016

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Knifegrab posted:

Who are you arguing with? No one is saying some standing games aren't good or fun, no one is saying audio shield would be better being roomscale. We're saying that roomscale capable HMDs own because they can do seated and standing and roomscale.

Literally you, right here, saying you think it's funny anybody would ever play a standing scale game

Knifegrab posted:

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Lemming posted:

Literally you, right here, saying you think it's funny anybody would ever play a standing scale game

Here let me fix that for you.

Knifegrab posted:

Also lol if anyone would ever want to only play standing (but not roomscale) games laffo.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Knifegrab posted:

Here let me fix that for you.

OK, so you're changing your argument then. For balance's sake, can you point out where I argued this, which you seem to sarcastically imply is what I was saying?

Knifegrab posted:

No but you see there exist some games that have you standing so clearly roomscale is dead.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
lol if anyone would ever want to post (but not shitpost) in the thread laffo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Lemming posted:

OK, so you're changing your argument then. For balance's sake, can you point out where I argued this, which you seem to sarcastically imply is what I was saying?

Have you considered that the Vive owns and the Rift is poo poo?

• Locked thread