Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

DrGreatJob posted:

So, we got a Vive because gently caress it... poo poo is dope.

Though, turning off comfort mode in Google Earth VR and zooming around for about an hour has left my brain totally confused.

Also, turning on the camera makes my Vive instantly lose tracking... which is weird because it was working fine before.
There's a setting somewhere for camera bandwidth, try turning it all the way down. You can also try a different usb port, some motherboards have multiple usb controllers that can handle varying amounts of bandwidth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

EdEddnEddy posted:

Yea same problem then, just different result.

Make sure your drivers are updated, on the SteamVR beta, and have some patience if neither fix it. Ugh
Yeah everything is up to date.

At least comforting I'm not alone. Saw some similar, albeit few, on steamvr forums. One guy fixed it after clean reinstall of everything (windows and beyond) and....I'm too lazy to do all that right now :v:

EdEddnEddy posted:

Guess you can use Steam Music player instead for a while. :v:
lol

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Yea, just going to have to deal with it for a bit. I too need to do a Windows Reinstall (upgraded from 8.1 to 10.. First time I've ever actually stuck with a OS upgrade) but surprisingly, it's been fine which makes me uncomfortable in some way... :tinfoil:

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Luckily for me, the SteamVR desktop thing never worked in the first place :v:
(two monitors with different DPI settings)

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

An idea:

Headsets with eye tracking integrated into them could auto adjust to or notify users of their proper IPD number for maximizing clarity. Same thing for moving the headset itself around for hitting the sweet spot on the lenses.

It doesn't have a great benefit return to people used to the headset, but would make demoing it a breeze and hopefully keep the experience from degrading due to the user moving around during use.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Cross posting from the VR Megathread:

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Robo Recall is free to all Vive and Rift users via the Epic games launcher. Just click Modding and then click Robo Recall. Instructions here. I knew their model was a bit weird on Oculus Home.

No need to buy a Touch/the game on Oculus Home!

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Ah, so it DOES work with the Vive?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

With ReVive, everything works with the Vive.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

With ReVive, everything works with the Vive.

Except V... lol

But soon, it will natively. :P

DadWilly
Jul 1, 2003

I need to know if the financing plan will be available in Canada. Need.

e: it's not available in Canada because PayPal credit is not available in Canada.

DadWilly fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 4, 2017

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
Robo Recall is pretty great. I got the version from the Epic Games Launcher and it kept crashing so I just decided to buy it from the Oculus store. It runs much better there but it is made for touch controllers so you have to hold the grip buttons to hold things which makes my hands tired after half an hour of squeezing. The teleportation mechanic is awful too because it tries to always face you toward the "front of the room" because that is where Rift owners' tracking is. Our tracking works in any direction, so suck it! If you use any mods (like one so you can look in any direction without the game blocking half your view) you can't advance and unlock the powerups in game.

The frame rate also dropped to way way under 45 fps at one point for a long period in the first mission which seems unusual for my system (1070 + 4690K @ 4.2GHz + 32GB RAM). Maybe windows update had some work to do or something. Either way the game is fun and a bit silly and enjoyable.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

CapnBry posted:

Robo Recall is pretty great. I got the version from the Epic Games Launcher and it kept crashing so I just decided to buy it from the Oculus store. It runs much better there but it is made for touch controllers so you have to hold the grip buttons to hold things which makes my hands tired after half an hour of squeezing. The teleportation mechanic is awful too because it tries to always face you toward the "front of the room" because that is where Rift owners' tracking is. Our tracking works in any direction, so suck it! If you use any mods (like one so you can look in any direction without the game blocking half your view) you can't advance and unlock the powerups in game.

The frame rate also dropped to way way under 45 fps at one point for a long period in the first mission which seems unusual for my system (1070 + 4690K @ 4.2GHz + 32GB RAM). Maybe windows update had some work to do or something. Either way the game is fun and a bit silly and enjoyable.

That only happens if it detects 2 sensors, those of us with 3 or more don't get that. Hopefully ReVive or a modder will be able to do a workaround to simulate 3 Rift sensors or something for people on Vive, I can imagine it's annoying. Epic did say they were going to release a patch of some sort for teleporting, although I'm not sure exactly what that will entail.

edit: Actually I think a mod is already out
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/5x460g/robo_recall_360_teleportation_mod_now_available/

Maybe not. You might wanna look around on /r/oculus and /r/Vive, there might already be a mod out, I'm not sure. Here is a free locomotion type mod if that is your thing, though: https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/50243/roborecall-locomotion-mod-v1/p2

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 4, 2017

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Poetic Justice posted:

That only happens if it detects 2 sensors, those of us with 3 or more don't get that. Hopefully ReVive or a modder will be able to do a workaround to simulate 3 Rift sensors or something for people on Vive, I can imagine it's annoying. Epic did say they were going to release a patch of some sort for teleporting, although I'm not sure exactly what that will entail.

edit: Actually I think a mod is already out
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/5x460g/robo_recall_360_teleportation_mod_now_available/

Maybe not. You might wanna look around on /r/oculus and /r/Vive, there might already be a mod out, I'm not sure. Here is a free locomotion type mod if that is your thing, though: https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/50243/roborecall-locomotion-mod-v1/p2
I thought ReVive emulated having 3 sensors? I don't mind the teleport mechanic so much as I do it changes your rotation when you teleport (based on how you rotate your thumb on the trackpad while pressing it). It is really disorienting to teleport toward an enemy and you end up facing 90 or 180 degrees to the side because you slid your thumb slightly as you pressed it, and then you don't know where the enemy is any more.

Using mods disables game progression, so you can't get any of the gun upgrades which means you have to play it through once at least before you enable any mods. If they just added an option to disable rotation when teleporting it would be fine because Vive owners can just turn themselves.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

CapnBry posted:

I thought ReVive emulated having 3 sensors? I don't mind the teleport mechanic so much as I do it changes your rotation when you teleport (based on how you rotate your thumb on the trackpad while pressing it). It is really disorienting to teleport toward an enemy and you end up facing 90 or 180 degrees to the side because you slid your thumb slightly as you pressed it, and then you don't know where the enemy is any more.

Using mods disables game progression, so you can't get any of the gun upgrades which means you have to play it through once at least before you enable any mods. If they just added an option to disable rotation when teleporting it would be fine because Vive owners can just turn themselves.

I'm not sure if Revive emulates that or not. In your other post I thought you were talking about the message that pops up saying something like "Face your sensors", which is what only happens to people with 2 Rift cameras, and in a thread in /r/Vive people were complaining about that popping up when using ReVive. It might have been fixed since then. I have 3 sensors so I didn't really pay too much attention to the issue people were having. But yeah I agree their teleporting implementation is a bit disorientating, and at least Epic has said they would patch within a month.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

How do I get Pavlov to use my correct height? I tried recalibrating a bunch of times and it always made me a giant.

Seems like a pretty fun game, though, even if it made my stomach lurch going down stairs.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
One of the super hot devs have said that they will be making an announcement regarding steamvr "soon"

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
At first I thought you were using descriptors.

Really beautiful developers? Well I'll be.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Hands on with the latest prototype of the rEvolve headstrap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnNhVTgyjqE&feature=youtu.be&t=21m5s

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

AgentF posted:

Hands on with the latest prototype of the rEvolve headstrap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnNhVTgyjqE&feature=youtu.be&t=21m5s

I'm excited.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Soundstage has come a long way, it looks really awesome now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwNUGXaXJvg

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Crossposting the good gospel of submarine games in VR from the VR Megathread:

Hi everyone. I'm here to talk to you about submarines. Submarines are the best and most interesting weapon of warfare due to their innate complexity, power and weakness. Submarines are in essence, perfect. However, being on board a submarine is awful, especially of the most fun and interesting WW2 variety. Now you can pretend to be in a submarine in Ironwolf VR, my new favourite ever thing in VR. Goddamn is it good.

If you want to make that into a review for the OP Knifegrab, it's all 100% true. This loving game is solid.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

If you want to make that into a review for the OP Knifegrab, it's all 100% true. This loving game is solid.

That looks amazing.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

It really is. Everything looks and feels perfect except for the trails on the flak. I can't wait for the devs to add more complexity in the form of a fully manual TDC, fully manual engines, etc. What they have is great and approachable and it's such a wonderful base with which to improve upon for all crowds.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

poo poo, I've been following this for a while now. Gonna buy it tonight I think.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

It really is. Everything looks and feels perfect except for the trails on the flak. I can't wait for the devs to add more complexity in the form of a fully manual TDC, fully manual engines, etc. What they have is great and approachable and it's such a wonderful base with which to improve upon for all crowds.

I wonder if they could go the extra step and add voice commands to the game so you can actually command the crew via voice. I don't imagine it would be out of the realm of possibility with todays tech and the fact that all the headsets have a mic in them in some form or another.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

The crew is other players. This is a co-op game. Alternatively you crew the sub yourself with automatic assists. There'd be no need for voice commands as there are no recipients for it, plus if you were to remove the physicality of the levers and switches it just wouldn't feel the same.

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!
So tinkering around with Vive for a few weeks now playing ED and getting my VR legs.

As a side project, Has anyone gotten regular stereoscopic gaming working smoothly with a VR app like VirtualDesktop/BigPicture ect? I've been able to get Tridef and Bigpicture to work smoothly sometimes. Virtualdesktop seems to lag hard. I'm wanting to just have the experience of my old Samsung 3d shutter glasses monitor but not ghosting to poo poo. Right now I have to juggle the startup order and run games in windowed mode and disable one of my monitors to get it to kind of work right.

I played the first level of Metro 2033 (since that was my best experience on my samsung back in the day) so I can see the potential. Just wondering if anyone else has bothered to get this to work.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

EdEddnEddy posted:

Wait, you mean the Desktop like to see your windows desktop while you are in SteamVR with the headset on? That appears to be broken in a few ways with mine showing me useless green screens.

Everything else VR game wise works fine. Just avoid clicking on Desktop until they fix it (or a driver fixes it, or whatever is causing it).*

*If that is indeed what you are doing.
After some reddit advice I uninstalled all HTC/Viveport apps (four of them on the program/uninstall manager) and presto change-o: my desktop in side of Steam VR works again! And it also booted up with a perfectly aligned floor for the first time in a while without any fiddling.

Now while I only started it up once, it's a very promising change, so maybe it helps for someone else too.

e: Also I noticed that when mirroring to the desktop, the slight half-second delay in audio and visuals had dissapeared too. Seems like HTC was adding some sort of overhead that was taxing too much on the system. Maybe? idk

Zsinjeh fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Mar 14, 2017

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Has anyone else been getting Bluetooth disconnection prompts in SteamVR lately? They don't appear to cause any issues, but I'm curious if I'm missing something. Also, those of you that have your lighthouses sleep when not in use, can you still hear the "whine" of the motor when it's sleeping?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Zsinjeh posted:

After some reddit advice I uninstalled all HTC/Viveport apps (four of them on the program/uninstall manager) and presto change-o: my desktop in side of Steam VR works again! And it also booted up with a perfectly aligned floor for the first time in a while without any fiddling.

Now while I only started it up once, it's a very promising change, so maybe it helps for someone else too.

e: Also I noticed that when mirroring to the desktop, the slight half-second delay in audio and visuals had dissapeared too. Seems like HTC was adding some sort of overhead that was taxing too much on the system. Maybe? idk

A recent Steam update seems to have fixed the Green Screen issue, and a ton of other Steam related issues across the board. Looks like they have been rather busy lately which is good.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Warbird posted:

Has anyone else been getting Bluetooth disconnection prompts in SteamVR lately? They don't appear to cause any issues, but I'm curious if I'm missing something. Also, those of you that have your lighthouses sleep when not in use, can you still hear the "whine" of the motor when it's sleeping?

The motor stops spinning when it sleeps, so no whine.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Some really good 1080ti benchmarks: https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/5zizqd/benchmarking_the_1080ti_in_vr/

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

WTF? 5930K at 4.3Ghz but 4.1Ghz cache? Since when was the Cache oc separate from the cores?

Outside of that I still really want a Ti. Those graphs look pretty good but I bet I can do better. Mwha!

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

So you don't kick your cat:

(at the Unseen Diplomacy developers)

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

What makes that funnier is that I've actually tripped over my cat several times before.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I got a new cat before Christmas. He's super friendly to the point where his default behaviour is to lay down directly in front of you. When guests came over, I was demoing the Vive to them. I had to play full-time marshal because he would repeatedly walk directly in front of whoever was playing and lay down.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Parents Jack Russel will also do exactly this. If there is feet on the floor she wants to sit against/between them, and if they are moving a lot, jump on them.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

sliderule posted:

I got a new cat before Christmas. He's super friendly to the point where his default behaviour is to lay down directly in front of you. When guests came over, I was demoing the Vive to them. I had to play full-time marshal because he would repeatedly walk directly in front of whoever was playing and lay down.

my cat does this too. she also likes the wire connecting the headset to the computer when im playing

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Sim gamers, check out my new software, Virtual Button Box:

https://github.com/BManx2000/VirtualButtonBox

DCS A-10C Demonstration Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7keXsamgZw&feature=youtu.be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist