Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Done, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Just bought the second to last one in stock: $840 for Vive + GTX 1060 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XP52BCW/ref=abs_brd_tag_dp?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Last call for the midrange vive entry train!

edit: Welp looks like it's back in stock on saturday anyway so I guess it's not that limited of a deal but still a good one. thanks to whoever posted it to the VR thread.

mellowjournalism fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 30, 2017

I Love Topanga
Oct 3, 2003

mellowjournalism posted:

Just bought the second to last one in stock: $840 for Vive + GTX 1060 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XP52BCW/ref=abs_brd_tag_dp?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Last call for the midrange vive entry train!

edit: Welp looks like it's back in stock on saturday anyway so I guess it's not that limited of a deal but still a good one. thanks to whoever posted it to the VR thread.

I wish I had seen this. Looks like it's up to $1,050 now. Do these deals pop up often?

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
There was $100 off on the holidays. There was a RX 480 bundle in March, and this 1060 bundle at the end of it. Then on April 5 they did a flash sale for $100 off.

Right now they're doing a 1070 bundle for $1,000: https://www.vive.com/us/vive-nvidia-gtx-1070-bundle/

Seems pretty often to me?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The different pricing strategies is kind of interesting. Occulus is willing to go down on price to move units, indicating their next model will be cheaper than the last. Vive is bundling things with their product to move units, that would seem to indicate that their next model will cost roughly the same as the first.

Lord_Brand_X
Nov 3, 2009
If the 2nd gen Vive HMD includes the wireless TPcast and improved resolution/clarity/sweetspot then I'd consider that to be sufficient to justify holding the price where it is.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Am I making this up or was it said that Oculus sells at a loss because Facebook money?

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Tweak posted:

Am I making this up or was it said that Oculus sells at a loss because Facebook money?

Initially during launch they said they were selling the headsets at cost.

raithza
Apr 20, 2017
Hi, GORN dev here. I actually registered an account just to say:

If you have feedback and problems and feel that the game is getting worse it's super useful to give feedback to the dev so I can work on it! I'm thick skinned, I can handle being told something is crap, and I love improving my game.

Gosh! :)

raithza fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Apr 20, 2017

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

raithza posted:

If you have feedback and problems and feel that the game is getting worse it's super useful to give feedback to the dev so it can be improved! I'm thick skinned, I can handle being told something is crap.

Gosh!

When will I be able to put someone's head on my fist like a boxing glove

raithza
Apr 20, 2017

Lemming posted:

When will I be able to put someone's head on my fist like a boxing glove

This is EXACTLY the kind of quality feedback and requests that I am after! At least you can already use their heads as weapons?

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

raithza posted:

If you have feedback and problems and feel that the game is getting worse it's super useful to give feedback to the dev so I can work on it! I'm thick skinned, I can handle being told something is crap, and I love improving my game.

I tried the itch.io build a few weeks back on my roomscale Rift, it was a good and pure thing. How can I get in on the newer build, so that my violence can appease the big heads and give feedback?

There is also an actual VR thread as well.
VR thread

raithza
Apr 20, 2017

Phuzun posted:

How can I get in on the newer build, so that my violence can appease the big heads and give feedback?

Join the GORN discord, where all the closed beta discussion happens: https://discord.gg/r4zRDPz

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

raithza posted:

Join the GORN discord, where all the closed beta discussion happens: https://discord.gg/r4zRDPz

Thanks, I'll stop in later today.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

raithza posted:

Thank you for making the best VR game!

Also welcome to the forums, always fun to see people visit the forums for the same reason I did back in the day. In my experience, dont take goon advice too readily, we have some really bad ideas among our useful bits of feedback.

Gonna join the discord now and finally get in on the beta!

AgentF
May 11, 2009

raithza posted:

Don't suppose there is a way to quickly dislodge a limb off my spear or spikysword? Also I don't know about the crank elevator between matches. It seems a bit onerous and also the lever that controls the gate is a little glitchy sometimes.

Apart from these I love your game and it's one of the best demonstration games for the Vive, after Job Simulator and The Lab. Putting demo mode back in the latest version was a very solid idea.

raithza
Apr 20, 2017

AgentF posted:

Don't suppose there is a way to quickly dislodge a limb off my spear or spikysword? Also I don't know about the crank elevator between matches. It seems a bit onerous and also the lever that controls the gate is a little glitchy sometimes.

My favourite trick is to flick the spear and use the limb as projectile!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

raithza posted:

ur game owns, OP

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!

raithza posted:

My brother punched me with my controller and at a later date my friend punched my brother while playing your game, they were too immersed to stay within the boundaries. Love it.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

The only times I've had to reseat the plastic housing on the controller is from Gorn. 4 times now I've punched the wall hard enough for it to pop, but they're still going strong.

I'll get a mate of mine to try your latest build for feedback, as the only suggestions are ones recently added (mostly a variant of 'rip off their arm and beat them to death with it) She's a game dev as well and masters loving every game in minutes- first time in Gorn, took 5 minutes to learn how everything worked at its most efficient. Mostly using the warhammer to boot gladiators clear out if the arena, which never gets old. Was disappointed by the spear but she's still to try it after the last few updates, so no comment on it's current state

Actually there was a bug- sometimes gladiators ended up 'inside' the arena walls, still alive but unable to interact with the player. Had to use trackpad move to find him and punch him to death to end the fight.

Also, are you looking at different locomotion systems? The current one kinda works for lunging, but is clunky as hell for moving around the arena.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Wait Gorn has a movement system? :O

No one I know has ever figured that out and the worst part of the game was always waing for dudes to crawl over the corpses and get back in range. This changes everything!

Also, Raitzha, I dont know if as a dev you have ever played your own game co op by just giving another person the second controller but holy poo poo is it fun and you should try it if you havent.

Makes me want actual coop support so bad. The old "you hold I punch" thing never gets old, and tossing people to each other... so much fun. Just making the second player a vengeful invulnerable murder ghost so you dont have to redo the AI would be fine since thats basically how it works now...

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Apr 21, 2017

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

raithza posted:

Can you speak at all about your development process or production pipeline(s)?

raithza
Apr 20, 2017

Hirethor posted:

My brother punched me with my controller and at a later date my friend punched my brother while playing your game, they were too immersed to stay within the boundaries. Love it.

There's a"strict chaperone" mode that will be helpful for these kinds of people!

Warbird posted:

Can you speak at all about your development process or production pipeline(s)?

Sure, if you have any questions you can ask, I don't want to take over this thread... I might be doing a blog or somesuch about how the weapons work eventually. Mostly it's a lot of struggling with configurable joints, rigidbodies and forces. Art pipeline is being streamlined currently.

Paingod556 posted:

Also, are you looking at different locomotion systems? The current one kinda works for lunging, but is clunky as hell for moving around the arena.

mmmmmm, I'm sure it will be one of the most requested features. But I think it's nicely balanced, if you could move super efficiently the game would be even easier than it currently is.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
What Unity plugins are you using? Have you mucked around with VRTK?

Sometimes as a challenge I play in "Predator mode" where I throw away all my weapons and try to kill all the opponents using only movement and hands. You rush at them before they're ready, punch them in the head to daze them and then pull all their limbs off. You use the limbs to bludgeon and daze the other fighters. There's blood just everywhere.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Klisejo posted:

As a side project, Has anyone gotten regular stereoscopic gaming working smoothly with a VR app like VirtualDesktop/BigPicture ect? I've been able to get Tridef and Bigpicture to work smoothly sometimes. Virtualdesktop seems to lag hard. I'm wanting to just have the experience of my old Samsung 3d shutter glasses monitor but not ghosting to poo poo. Right now I have to juggle the startup order and run games in windowed mode and disable one of my monitors to get it to kind of work right.

I played the first level of Metro 2033 (since that was my best experience on my samsung back in the day) so I can see the potential. Just wondering if anyone else has bothered to get this to work.

I've been using VorpX to play Fallout New Vegas and it's been an amazing experience. I've already played it over 40 hours in VR and the lack of motion controls are more than made up by the fact that New Vegas has some really deep game play that is immersive in its own right. Once you add positional + rotational tracking and geometric stereoscopic 3D it creates a completely immersive experience that rivals standing and room scale games that I've been playing. Hours just fly right by when I play NV in VR and I love it. I completely lose the sense of time and really enjoy how great the game looks in 3D.

I've also used Virtual Desktop, but only in 2D mode. Before I bought VorpX I played and beat Max Payne 3 on a giant 170 degree curved screen using virtual desktop and also found the experience to be immersive, though not nearly as immersive as VorpX + New Vegas which takes things to another level.

iceaim fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 22, 2017

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

iceaim posted:

I've been using VorpX to play Fallout New Vegas and it's been an amazing experience. I've already played it over 40 hours in VR and the lack of motion controls are more than made up by the fact that New Vegas has some really deep game play that is immersive in its own right. Once you add positional + rotational tracking and geometric stereoscopic 3D it creates a completely immersive experience that rivals standing and room scale games that I've been playing. Hours just fly right by when I play NV in VR and I love it. I completely lose the sense of time and really enjoy how great the game looks in 3D.

I've also used Virtual Desktop, but only in 2D mode. Before I bought VorpX I played and beat Max Payne 3 on a giant 170 degree curved screen using virtual desktop and also found the experience to be immersive, though not nearly as immersive as VorpX + New Vegas which takes things to another level.

How much effort did you spend getting New Vegas up and running in VR stably? Just modding Bethesda-engined games is hard enough but balancing a VR system bolted on to it as well gives me pause.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

KakerMix posted:

How much effort did you spend getting New Vegas up and running in VR stably? Just modding Bethesda-engined games is hard enough but balancing a VR system bolted on to it as well gives me pause.

It took me about 2 hours to get it running stable. After that it was just pure gaming bliss.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

iceaim posted:

Do you use a gamepad? I mean, I assume mouse and keyboard are a poor choice.

raithza
Apr 20, 2017

AgentF posted:

What Unity plugins are you using? Have you mucked around with VRTK?

I'm not using any major plugins... most stuff was just done by hitting my head into a wall until it works. I think the laser pointer in the menu is a package, I'm using a fracturing plugin for the shards when a piece of armor breaks, and I have some kind of joint visualisation plugin that isn't working now that I think about it. VRTK would have saved a ton of time if I was using it since day one. There's also a plugin called Puppet Master which I think might be the correct way of making this kind game, but I'm not switching to that halfway through dev. Maybe GORN 2?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
good on you, thats rly cool

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Bremen posted:

Do you use a gamepad? I mean, I assume mouse and keyboard are a poor choice.

I use a mouse + keyboard and it works well. Gamepad and even motion controllers with key bindings are possible though I just haven't gotten around to trying it. I know one guy on reddit who does play New Vegas using motion controllers standing though. You can technically play New Vegas room scale because it has positional tracking thanks to Direct VR.

iceaim fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Apr 24, 2017

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

GORN rules

https://clips.twitch.tv/AcceptableGeniusDunlinTriHard

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

raithza posted:

I'm not using any major plugins... most stuff was just done by hitting my head into a wall until it works. I think the laser pointer in the menu is a package, I'm using a fracturing plugin for the shards when a piece of armor breaks, and I have some kind of joint visualisation plugin that isn't working now that I think about it. VRTK would have saved a ton of time if I was using it since day one. There's also a plugin called Puppet Master which I think might be the correct way of making this kind game, but I'm not switching to that halfway through dev. Maybe GORN 2?

Just wanted to say Gorn is definitely the standout game so far. Are you goign to be greenlighting it soon?

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Mate tried the latest Gorn

She loves the giant mace, and that you included a 'belt them out of the arena' challenge (she does so anyway, or at least tried with the hammer) Only thing is how quickly you can 'finish' career mode, which obviously is lowest of priorities for an alpha as it is. No other complaints, it's pretty much rock solid and I would gladly through Steam EA money at it

In other news, Payday 2 VR has gotten me hype and interested in that game again, which is an achievement

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Thread dead just like VR huh guys?

Well sorry for the bump but Cosmic Trip released 1.0 and it's loving great. Don't pay attention to the mixed recent reviews cuz those are Oculus owners who can't use proper room-scale anyway and babs who can't handle the difficulty. It's probably the best example of what kind of crazy poo poo VR can manage so it's in the must-buy list with Job Simulator and Raw Data.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Not dead, but still few enough goons with VR that several threads might be unnecessary. The general VR thread is more active.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3777359

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
I think most people are either busy playing games, struggling to pay for regular crap after buying VR, or hibernating until E3 when we're expecting to see Fallout4 VR and other announcements.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

This thread pretty much only exists because of a joke and it's not really funny anymore so everyone went back to posting in that one

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!
I only follow this VR thread, is the other one actually worth following too if I only have the Vive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Yes, in fact you should primarily be using the Virtual Reality Megathread:

Zsinjeh posted:

Not dead, but still few enough goons with VR that several threads might be unnecessary. The general VR thread is more active.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3777359

• Locked thread