Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Mr Hands Colon posted:

Galesburg wasn't that bad when I went to Knox back in the late 90s but recent alums have painted a completely different picture of that place.

e: The 'burg didn't necessarily weather the recession very well. With the added kick in the nuts of Maytag closing in '03 the town is kind of doomed. But doomed is relative, I suppose.

Trevor Hale fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

afeelgoodpoop posted:

*said repeatedly and increasingly nasally* where's black lives matters, huh?

to be fair as dickish/retarded as he is, he isnt wrong. I get BLM is about Police brutality and the college BLM is about stupid horseshit and the UK BLM is about whatever they are thinking of currently. all the twitter activist would rather get offended by stupid jokes/movies/books/games, instead of keeping poor minorities and poor whites from killing each other and themselves. but instead we have to hear about lena dunhem bitch about how a football played didnt want to gently caress her/didnt fall in love when he was sitting next to her. "white Progressivism" is the loving worst.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Darth123123 posted:

Is wriggley on the south side? Please don't pave that.

Cmon son wrigley is north side af

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

afeelgoodpoop posted:

lmao that shits like a comedy sketch.

The best part is the dude in the red shorts aims at the cameraman

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

The guy chanting "Where is BLM?" must think it makes him bulletproof.

Chicagoan, Dissatisfied With Police Coverage, Hires Private Patrols
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2016/09/09/chicagoan-dissatisfied-with-police-coverage-hires-private-patrols/

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

Zogo posted:

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2016/09/09/chicagoan-dissatisfied-with-police-coverage-hires-private-patrols/

lol Gold Coast

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

There's this really good Korean fried chicken place in Chicago called Crisp

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

chicago is a battleground

love is a battlefield

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

to be fair as dickish/retarded as he is, he isnt wrong. I get BLM is about Police brutality and the college BLM is about stupid horseshit and the UK BLM is about whatever they are thinking of currently. all the twitter activist would rather get offended by stupid jokes/movies/books/games, instead of keeping poor minorities and poor whites from killing each other and themselves. but instead we have to hear about lena dunhem bitch about how a football played didnt want to gently caress her/didnt fall in love when he was sitting next to her. "white Progressivism" is the loving worst.

you dont 'have' to listen to any of that you know

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

FuhrerHat posted:

you dont 'have' to listen to any of that you know

pretty much the best thing you can do is not listen to any of them. life's has enough tedious poo poo before you fill it with that crap.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

chicagoland

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

afeelgoodpoop posted:

*said repeatedly and increasingly nasally* where's black lives matters, huh?

Really wished they would've stopped fighting and rushed the camera guy.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

People outside Chicago whereas Chicago is one of the nearest major markets think Chicago is loving AWESOME. People inside Chicago think Chicago sucks and leave. People juuuust outside Chicago are like "oh yeah it rules there's an Urban Outfitters with a Panera inside it, and there's a gelato shop right across the street!"

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

"So where are you from?"

"Chicago."

"Oh yeah, whereabouts?"

"*names place 50 miles from city*"

quote, edit lol

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Chief McHeath posted:

People outside Chicago whereas Chicago is one of the nearest major markets think Chicago is loving AWESOME. People inside Chicago think Chicago sucks and leave. People juuuust outside Chicago are like "oh yeah it rules there's an Urban Outfitters with a Panera inside it, and there's a gelato shop right across the street!"

People everywhere think you're a retard :fry:

Risky
May 18, 2003

Chicago is literally that free fire zone from that movie class of 1999

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Risky posted:

Chicago is literally that free fire zone from that movie class of 1999

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM4H6Ix1Lt4

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Zogo posted:

private schools, private hospitals, now private police for the rich. End stage capitalism approaches.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
I'm really jealous of the youth who get to grow up being cool and awesome in places like this.

Drugs are cool, guns are cool, shooting people and dying from being shot is cool as gently caress.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
As a white person who regularly travels through poor black areas and walks through projects, I always felt pretty safe.

Black people seem to be terrified of white people in those areas. One time I was on a bus that was entirely packed with black people except for 2 seats on either side of myself. They were the only free seats on the bus and no one wanted to get near me

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

The Saurus posted:

As a white person who regularly travels through poor black areas and walks through projects, I always felt pretty safe.

Black people seem to be terrified of white people in those areas. One time I was on a bus that was entirely packed with black people except for 2 seats on either side of myself. They were the only free seats on the bus and no one wanted to get near me
White people will snitch to and/or call the cops.

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE

The Saurus posted:

One time I was on a bus that was entirely packed with black people except for 2 seats on either side of myself. They were the only free seats on the bus and no one wanted to get near me

Were you at the front of the bus?

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

HeldenSterbenNicht posted:

Were you at the front of the bus?

kind of, i was one those triple seats they have at the front at the side of the bus, but i was on the one furthest back

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The Saurus posted:

You won't have that problem on the red line after 10pm and south of 35th street.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

The Saurus posted:

One time I was on a bus that was entirely packed with black people except for 2 seats on either side of myself. They were the only free seats on the bus and no one wanted to get near me

Normal people avoid weird creepy goons?

:monocle:

The least you could have done is offered to share your cheetos and/or sonic the hedgehog coloring book, then someone would sit next you.

Vlonald Prump
Aug 28, 2011

Here in America, you grab them by pussy. In old country, pussy grab you!!
Buglord
One time I was really hammered and got on the Red Line going north around 2 AM... I sit down, immediately pass out, and next thing I know I'm going south... at 63rd street.... at 8 AM. Welp that's my story of the time I somehow wasn't robbed

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Chicago's actually gotten worse than most of Brazil. How did you Americans manage to gently caress it up that bad?

naem
May 29, 2011

Negrostrike posted:

Chicago's actually gotten worse than most of Brazil. How did you Americans manage to gently caress it up that bad?

One part "only the wealthy matter" and two parts "destroy the former middle class and their opportunities to earn a decent living"

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Negrostrike posted:

they tore down the big projects and arrested all the big gang leaders so now its a constant battle between a bunch of tiny drug fiefdoms

actually pretty similar to brazil now that i think about it

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

naem posted:

One part "only the wealthy matter" and two parts "destroy the former middle class and their opportunities to earn a decent living"

two words: democrat party government

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Don't forget shutting down a good chunk of the public schools and underfunding the surviving ones, and not doing anything about the dangerous levels of lead and other toxins in the poorer parts of the city.

Also our republican governor loves holding the city hostage while they play money games with the budget.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Sep 13, 2016

Please Eat A Vegetable
Jun 26, 2002
Lord of Primate Booty

el B posted:

Toro Sushi is run by a guy named Mitch. He's the loving man and his place is legit.

https://goo.gl/maps/F2D2x7AQDwM2

Can confirm that this place is magnificent.

But you may want to go at an off-hour, because the place is tiny and gets crowded. BYOB too.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

SirMonkeyButt posted:

Can confirm that this place is magnificent.

But you may want to go at an off-hour, because the place is tiny and gets crowded. BYOB too.

In Chicago this means bring your own bullets.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
I'm visiting Chicago in a month or two, does it have easy-to-find open air drug markets like S.F?

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
How nice is the inner loop?

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Tumble posted:

I'm visiting Chicago in a month or two, does it have easy-to-find open air drug markets like S.F?

no

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Tumble posted:

Sounds like the southern portion of town is where you want. Just drive around real slow and flash some cash out the window.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Negrostrike posted:

Chicago's actually gotten worse than most of Brazil

lol

The worst 50 Brazilian cities by murder total and rate per 100,000 residents, as of 2015:

Fortaleza - 2,422 - 60.77
Natal - 921 - 60.66
Salvador - 1,996 - 60.63
João Pessoa - 643 - 58.4
Maceio - 564 - 55.63
São Luis - 802 - 53.05
Cuiabá - 412 - 48.52
Manaus - 985 - 47.87
Belém - 1,101 - 45.83
Feira de Santana - 281 - 45.5
Goiânia - 847 - 43.38
Teresina - 360 - 42.64
Vitoria - 802 - 41.99
Vitoria da Conquista - 132 - 38.46
Recife - 1,492 - 38.12
Aracaju - 349 - 37.70
Campos dos Goytacazes 175 - 36.16
Campina Grande - 146 - 36.04
Porto Alegre - 1,479 - 34.73
Curitiba - 1,121 - 34.71
Macapá - 138 - 30.25

Rio Doesn't make the top 50 list, but it's also worse than Chicago, at 1202 murders and a rate of 18.6 per 100k residents in 2015 (a record low, which has spike upwards 40% this year). In 2015, Chicago had 468 murders and a rate of 17.2. Chicago isn't even close to being among the worst cities for murder rate in the US, let alone in Brazil.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

chicago is cool i grew up in there but now i live in des plaines where there is no crime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

TsarZiedonis posted:

How nice is the inner loop?

It ranges from "absolutely boring after 9pm" to "get stabbed for $20 because no one from the city actually lives there." It's nice in the daylight though!

• Locked thread