Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Look everyone in the eye. This one weird trick every mugger hates!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Plus they just solved that sextuple murder from a few months ago! We're making progress here folks!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gage_Park_stabbings

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Blacktoll posted:

He went against the grain and the traffic cop was being nice and turning him around nothing to do with race

Seeing a white guy with suburban registered plates driving into Englewood is either horribly lost or there for something nefarious. A cop stopping them is not inappropriate.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Cartouche posted:

Dude was on whacker street, what did he expect?

Whacker now ain't even a shadow of what it used to be before they cleaned it up.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

vyst posted:

Being white owns

Yeah, it's pretty great.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

If it would've stayed 90 degrees the streets would be running in blood

And I would have gotten more of a tan. This 4th sucked because it was cloudy all day at the beach.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So long as they only burn the Southside I'm cool with it. That'll never happen though. Rioting is like work and we all know those types don't like work.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

But then all my bars will be gone.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

TsarZiedonis posted:

I'm going to Chicago next month with my girlfriend and I'm looking for an Airbnb to rent for a few days before her corporate hotel room is open.

I know nothing about Chicago. Where can I stay that's cool and also which parts of the city are the horrible death zones?

Ukrainian Village, Bucktown, Logan Square on Milwaukee, Noble Square. Any of those will be cheap and are good neighborhoods that will be pretty cheap to stay in. Not to mention they're all packed with restaurants and bars. Lincoln Park, Gold Coast, Boys Town, and Andersonville are gonna be more expensive but are also safe and have a ton of poo poo to do in the neighborhoods. Basicallly avoid the southside, Humboldt Park (nowhere will say Humnboldt, so just avoid anything between Western and Cicero and North and Chicago). That should keep you in the clear.

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 17, 2016

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Lime Tonics posted:

Police: 6 Killed, 31 Wounded In Labor Day Weekend Shootings

Six people were killed and at least 31 others have been wounded in shootings across the city over Labor Day weekend, according to Chicago Police.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2016/09/05/police-6-killed-31-wounded-in-labor-day-weekend-shootings/

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-chicago-violence-labor-day-monday-20160905-story.html

'Shooting All Over The City': Man, Pregnant Woman Shot on Chicago's South Side

Two people—including a pregnant woman—were shot in Chicago’s Back of the Yards neighborhood, police confirmed Monday afternoon.

Honestly I thought it would be worse since it was so nice out. This week is speed to be hot so I'm sure we'll hit double digits before Saturday.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Be sure to hit up Kumas Corner while you're here!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I don't think we're gonna break 1000 this year. Maybe if we have a warm fall.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

SketchyNick posted:

If you want good food any stop between daemon and belmont on the blue line is a good choice

I'd extend that from Belmont to Chicago just so he can get D'Agostino's Pizza.Get the thin crust. Our any of the sushi places on Chicago west of Ogden/Milwaukee.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Chicago does three things exceptionally well.

1. Food (all kinds...literally every kind)
2. Bars
3. Low income violence

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Niwrad posted:

Crime has started to seep into the nice neighborhoods now too. This is like right around million dollar homes and $400k condos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkgoqDnyX9A

If you are wondering where the cops are they moved a bunch from the nicer areas to the bad areas. Now the nicer areas have no cops and criminals have started to figure that out and just go around mugging people and shooting guns off because there is no one to stop them.

Also our pizza is good.

This has always been the case. Anywhere within a couple blocks of a red line stop (any red line stop) is going to have poor people mugging people/breaking in. Really the only solution is to just pave over entire southside except China Town and Canaryville and just make it a huge parking lot with bus access to take you downtown.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The Saurus posted:

As a white person who regularly travels through poor black areas and walks through projects, I always felt pretty safe.

Black people seem to be terrified of white people in those areas. One time I was on a bus that was entirely packed with black people except for 2 seats on either side of myself. They were the only free seats on the bus and no one wanted to get near me

You won't have that problem on the red line after 10pm and south of 35th street.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

TsarZiedonis posted:

How nice is the inner loop?

It ranges from "absolutely boring after 9pm" to "get stabbed for $20 because no one from the city actually lives there." It's nice in the daylight though!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

TsarZiedonis posted:

Oh, so as long as I don't go out at night I won't die? Great!

Oh and Jesus, Airbnb is super expensive here, strangely enough, so are generic hotel rooms. A crappy hotel room is roughly analogous to a small Airbnb. Chicago is really pricey.

Take a look in between Chicago and North Ave and Ashland and Western. Anywhere in there should be nice, with in walking distance of tons of bars, restaurants, and public transport, and have a near zero chance of being mugged even on your own at like 4am.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Huh, thought Austin would be higher. Englewood is right where I thought it would be though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Hobelhouse posted:

Humboldt Park is really two neighborhoods though. There's OK, gentrifying east Humboldt Park, aka "Logan Square South", and west Humboldt Park on the other side of the park, which is Shooty Town. That's where Humboldt Park gets its terrible rep. I have a friend who always used to say he lived in Ukrainian Village despite living right down the street from to the giant Puerto Rican flag arch....

Both sides were bad just a decade ago. In another 10 years Humboldt will be what Logan Square is today. Which is why I'm thinking of buying there.

• Locked thread