Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Decebal posted:

I downloaded the beta but I couldn't care enough to press "play" and learn all the powers.

How was it ? MLG material ?

Depends on if you like games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Decebal posted:

Does it require DOTA levels of "dedication" ?

No, it's a game you can sit down and play for 10 minutes and not care about anything. It is very rewarding to people who are bad at games and even if everyone in the match sucks it'll still be like "This one guy did something really cool" at the end of the match

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Madcosby posted:

ive had no interest in this game until this

can someone expand

on this point, not on your waist

Matches are short, and you can just sit down and play a quick match game and be done. At the end of the match something figures out what the "play of the game" was and it shows from the players perspective how they killed or resurrected a bunch of people in a short span of time. Sometimes it's very cool

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Milky Moor posted:

if you played this beta for two hours you got everything out of it

that's it

that's all there is

and yet people are still going to spend money on it

It's almost as though there's value in replay

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Milky Moor posted:

lol get hosed

overwatch fans just can't admit that

Even if it was, who gives a gently caress

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

oh but I pine for the days of everyone being the same character, or hats and gameplay that has to be unlocked

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Linux Pirate posted:

This game is annoying and bringing MOBA elements to an FPS is dumb.

You mean Battleborn?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

AugmentedVision posted:

I haven't been following this turd at all, am I correct when I assume it's specifically designed to minimize the advantage given by twitch shooter skills, and maximize the advantage given by watching streams to learn the meta or whatever?

If you are a twitch shooter there are characters for that style, but there are also characters that require basically no aim at all but can't headshot

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Gammatron 64 posted:

I don't think multiplayer FPS games are fun

Like I really don't care for when some 12-year old teleports 30 feet, shanks me with a knife and calls me a human being friend of the family on xbox live

Please explain to me how playing online halo and cowwa doody are at all an enjoyable experience because I've tried it and I'm just not seeing it.

Also one of my fraternity brothers in college played pro halo for MLG so that might explain why they give me a bad taste in my mouth.

I think I kinda hate playing online games period because people are garbage, especially those on the internet who play video games

But running around at 100 mph murdering demons left and right is fun, so you should play doom

Yeah I love games that I'm done with after only like 5 hours

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Gammatron 64 posted:

I unironically love games that are over in 5 hours because I work for a living and do non-video game things and don't have time for that poo poo

Look at this chump who does things with his life

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Internaut! posted:

thats all? how are dupes handled?

If you get a dupe it gives you currency instead with which you can buy anything at all

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

No man, e-sports games only stay relevant if they're good. See Street Fighter for example

edit: i dont know if I was beaten to my point or not

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Microwaves Mom posted:

I'm confused now.

Are you saying SFV is good?

Nah

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

You son of a bitch

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

The Enforcer posted:

Sounds awesome!

I know!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I have a feeling that the only real reason people compare overwatch to tf2 is the shading engine or whatever, the graphics have a sort of similar style. Gameplay wise it's like saying marvel vs capcom is a rip off of mortal kombat or some poo poo

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

vug posted:

pub servers tf2 again tonight. lost will to live
its horrible

how are the pubbies in overwatch? i'll take anything above completely loving awful

runs the gamut from poo poo to fantastic, but since there's a limit of 6 people per team your own ability to contribute to success is much higher than in like 16v16

I have definitely been in situations where one sniper was the reason the other team was winning

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

!Klams posted:

Like people are complaining that the sg is too powerful because they don't know how to deal with it, you have to stand on the point to advance the objective or contest it, but people don't because they get caught up in deathmatching even though the character they've chosen works better in concert with other people. It's a light hearted team based class based shooter where one team pushes a train while the other tries to stop them with timed respawns, health pickups, and 'big push' mechanics that build up over time.

You're kind of right (except like KoF vs Street fighter) in that it's probably the second game in a genre of basically two. But there's a lot of reason to compare them beyond aesthetic.

You seriously think there are 2 objective-based fps games out there. OK

In any event there are lots of similarities, if you are considering "being in the same genre" to not be something that can just be said and you're done with that statement, but people ignore the massive differences. They're both first person shooters with objectives. All the ways you're saying they're the same is putting them in the same basket with every other FPS out there. If you care about details you're going to find a lot more to compare.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Hahahahaha Battleborn is already on Humble Bundle, Overwatch owns

• Locked thread