Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Killing Flies
Jun 30, 2007

We've got to have rules and obey them. After all, we're not savages. We're English, and the English are best at everything.
You're not real clear on what you need it for. I assume by multi-day you mean backpacking trips. If you mean car camping with a pack for day hikes then that's different.

Here is the pack I use for multi-day trips into back country. It's an Osprey Talon 44L. I'll give you the link to REI but do your homework and don't pay this much:
https://www.rei.com/product/864668/osprey-talon-44-pack

I like this pack because its comfortable and has a lot of nice features without having so many crazy bells and whistles that it falls short of doing what its intended to do. My advice is to not fall into the trap of getting a huge bag. This 44L is plenty big for all the gear I've ever needed. Longest I've taken this is on was a 5 day 60 mile trip.

My tendency is to fill my bag. If I bring my 80L bag, I will want to bring 80L of stuff. By sticking to the 44L bag, it forces me to make smarter choices about what I'm bringing. Don't buy a bigger bag thinking it'll be more versatile and you can use it for shorter or longer trips.

If you're just looking for something for short hikes or camping at KOAs, then get whatever you want. A little 20L pack would be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killing Flies
Jun 30, 2007

We've got to have rules and obey them. After all, we're not savages. We're English, and the English are best at everything.

im gay posted:

So you're saying I need two backpacks? I guess I should expand on what I want. I want to have something for multiple days without a car or interaction with stores, refilling etc. But also something that can be taken on airplanes for foreign hiking.

I also don't want to look like an idiot with a 70L on a day or two-day hike.

Thanks for the help though. I've never had a bigger backpack and figured a 70L was the next leap after my years of using lovely Jansports and other school bags not intended for hiking while killing my back.

For what you're doing, I would always bring the 44L pack I linked. For me, it's a versatile size. I would take it on any trip that is more than a single day. I have a larger pack, but I only use it for really multi week trips or winter trips (winter means more food, water, and bulkier clothes and sleeping bag.)

So you don't need a second backpack unless you take on a trip that requires it. You do need another bag, though. You don't want to haul off your whole pack every time you need to dig a cat hole or gather some tinder. What I do is pack a small day pack in my larger bag. I put the essentials in that - first aid kit, toiletries, trowel, etc. That way when I make camp I can leave the large bag and just take what I need when I do out exploring or whatever.

At any rate, in my experience if you have a 44L or thereabouts bag and you can't fit everything you need for a few days in it, then you're at the point of examining your priorities rather than shopping for a bigger bag. I'm not even an ultralight obsessed guy or anything, and I can't imagine carrying a larger or heavier bag for those trips.

Killing Flies
Jun 30, 2007

Blitter posted:

I also can't help but wonder if the people with the 44l ultra-light packs in this thread are anything like some of the people that I hike with where the conversation while sorting out shared gear goes like this:

You'd think so, but no. I'm taking that 44L I was talking about on a three day out and back in two weeks. I'm not sure exactly how much my gear weighs individually, but I'm carrying group gear, food, water, and a heavy three person tent. If anyone is really curious I can post my gear list for the trip, but suffice to say my 44L is carrying enough gear to support me and part of the 5 person group, and I'm pretty fat from a gram obsessed ultralighter.

• Locked thread