Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Arcteryx Arrakis 65, thing is a beast. Fits around 85 in a pinch.

Anything touting itself as tactical is going to be garbage. You don't need to be strapping magazines to your pack for easy access.

Ice axe loops do work nicely for a normal axe though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Whipsnake with vigor.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax

extra stout posted:

I'm about to look up prices on this and while I feel like it will be too much, thanks for posting that it has loops. I was wondering which of these have a place to strap my small forest axe to the side, and I don't really want to cram it in the bag with the zipper open.

edit

God drat that thing is big, anyone know of a 30-40l pack with loops for a small axe or two ice axes? Preferably under $100?

The Arrakis is stupid expensive, but I justified it through pretty heavy use. Still looks good after 7 years of use. I also like that it's basically a giant dry bag.

There's an Arrakis 40 on the market, but suffers from being crazy expensive for a 40 liter pack.

My day pack I normally use is a Kode 38, which is ostensibly for skiing, but I've used it for everything. Has a central ice ave loop which I fits my wetterlings large hunter's axe.

It looks like it's currently on sale at moosejaw for around $100, http://www.backcountry.com/osprey-packs-kode-38-backpack-2100-2500cu-in

• Locked thread