Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

I'd second the recommendation for a 60-65 for a flexible multi-day pack, but the most important criteria is the fit.. which is why I have an Arcteryx Bora 95. I'm 6'4" and thus the tall version of the 65 turned into a 95. Arc'teryx packs are incredibly well built, and as they offer small, regular and tall frames (and sized hip belts) you can get pretty close to a perfect fit for your size. I think it's worth adding that if you're tall, and say, need tall versions of everything (sleeping bag, thermarest, clothing) you are going to need considerably more room for your gear than some little 5'6" dude with his tiny pack. Also, if you plan on doing edge season or winter camping you will need a fair bit more volume.

I also can't help but wonder if the people with the 44l ultra-light packs in this thread are anything like some of the people that I hike with where the conversation while sorting out shared gear goes like this:

me) hey, 44lHiker; want you to take the day4 foodbag, and .. another piece of shared gear. What you want, the water purifier? Medical kit?
44lHiker) *busy talking about their 1" long modified toothbrush that they later almost choke on, and their plan to borrow anything they don't bring*
44lHiker) Wait, what? Oh man, that foodbag looks really bulky, who picked this stuff, it can't possibly be lightweight choices?!
me) We talking about this last week. You were busy chopping off the excess straps on your pack for extra weight savings..?
44lHiker) Well.. can I just take a fuel bottle instead? And why do we need a medical kit? Or a water purifier? I have this UV pen!!
me) yeah, well you're the only one that likes UV sterilized muddy swamp water. Take the food bag FFS.
44lHiker) *gripes* well, if I have to. I guess I'll just put my child sized thermarest on the outside of my pack ..
44lHiker) gently caress, I don't have enough strap left to attach my thermarest. Does anyone have ... straps? Rope? Room in their pack?
*collective sighs*
*stuff is redistributed to favour weight over volume until 44lHiker has his shared gear stowed.
44lHiker) Oh man, this little pack is uncomfortable now with all this weight in here. Who planned this? Boy, not me, we'd never need half this poo poo!

44lHiker) *complains bitterly for remaining trip about wet/muddy thermarest*
me) *considers brimming pack full of shared gear and 44lHiker's raingear and the chance of anyone missing his body in the woods

Ok, I'm not calling out lightweight hikers and there is definitely the peril of overfilling your big pack or ending up carrying the bulk of the shared gear. Did a 3 day 65km hike with a group of almost a dozen and my brother and I both ended up carrying ~35kg (dry weight..) packs, on a day one that ended up being just over 30km. Start getting tents and poo poo setup, and I notice a buddy of mine who for reasons not apparent had been struggling all day, has his tent up, and is lying in it, half sticking out, already totally dead to the world. Go to organize some packs lying around and nearly toss his (new..) GF's pack into the woods, because it weighed about 5 pounds, because it literally contained a sleeping bag, and two (2!) full size pillows. My mind is blown, I laugh, and pick up his sister's pack and .. the same. Weirdly, the GF didn't last, and he never invited his sister along again, ha ha. They both did love their lightweight little packs tho!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread