Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
joke_explainer
Dec 28, 2011

I have that pack, the Aether 70 and it's great. Plus, with the top part removed and the hip belt removed, it just barely fits as a carry on bag on airlines from the bottom of the rigid frame to the top, anything larger would not fit and would have to get checked. (You can't pack it absolutely full and still do that though, obviously).

The osprey atmos 65 has more bells and whistles but the straps are too close together for me. The Baltoro one in the same capacity is a bit more comfy I think. The zippers on the aether 70 are loving amazing heavy duty zippers, and it's great that you can access the bottom, middle, or top of the pack from the outside np.

The osprey 20L 'straight jacket' compression bag just perfectly fits in the bottom of the bag too, so that's a nice way to start a packing system if you really love branding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joke_explainer
Dec 28, 2011

Talon is a great pack too and 2 lbs lighter than the Aether 70.

joke_explainer
Dec 28, 2011

The aether 70 is a really tight fit for airplane, while doable it's is kind of a hassle to stow the belt and the top part. The Talon would be a good bet if you're frequently on there. It's soooo much better than a jansport bag or any non-frame pack, you'll see, you pretty much can't go wrong...

I like the 70 even for weekend backpacking personally, because I always ending up carrying extra poo poo and its nice to have room. I definitely am not like the ultra light uber pros here.

joke_explainer
Dec 28, 2011

meselfs posted:

Black Diamond Demon, perfect in every way. No frills, the comfortable miniature pickup truck of backpacks, the kind you can always coax to work for you.

Removable frame in that pack too. But... should he really summon the demon?? A dark bargain often costs more than the outlay...

joke_explainer
Dec 28, 2011

Crazyeyes posted:

I have an Atmos 65 and love that poo poo. Osprey's gear guarantee is out of this world to boot.

Atmos 65 AG is a great bag.

Also, both the Aether and the Atmos's floating top section can be removed and used as a small daypack to carry poo poo around in. You can even attach the hip belt to it if you really want to securely strap it to yourself. It's kind of a pain to remove the belt, but I found if you shove a closed stick of deodorant or similarly sized item you can slide it right out after removing the buckles.

Both the atmos and the aether have several options with the compression straps so you can shrink it down to 40 liters if you'd like. It's incredibly versatile.

joke_explainer
Dec 28, 2011

yeah... more I think about this... the more I think you need to go to your nearby recreational equipment store of choice anyway, since many bags have a small/medium/large deal for that particular bag and you don't want to guestimate that. and you can actually try out many packs to find the one that feels the best on you, they got sandbags you can put in there. I agree with the guy that suggested that.

For reference, here's all the specific recommended packs so far.

Osprey Aether 70
Osprey Atmos 65 AG
Gregory Baltoro 75
Osprey Talon 44
Osprey Talon 22
Osprey Volt 60
Black Diamond Demon (34 L)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joke_explainer
Dec 28, 2011

Picnic Princess posted:

Regular backpacks loving suck.

yeah get a backpacking backpack unless you want to go backpacking once and never again because of how you screwed up your neck and back and how unpleasant the whole experience was. then I guess take your loving jansport

• Locked thread