Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
jashoggin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

jastiger itt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRgEeDR98X8

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Chicago somehow manages to be more soulless than Los Angeles.

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
I lit a vanilla candle and now im pooping

e: nm meant for Ascii thread

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

whoflungpoop posted:

I lit a vanilla candle and now im pooping

e: nm meant for Ascii thread

Reported for messing up my until now, perfect thread.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
Ah, this reminds of the time I sauntered on down to Flamingo, FL looking for a Micky D's. Didn't find one, so I left. gently caress that place.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Jastiger posted:

We priced it a cab would have cost in the hundreds. The bus would have take us 3 hours just to get to the stuff we wanted. Was just inefficient for what we were looking for.

$100?! Three hours?! Where the gently caress were you going? Joliet, a far south suburb of Chicago, only takes an hour and a half to get to by public transport. Were you going to Springfield? Honestly, I don't think you were here at all. Especially this last week because I was downtown entertaining some friends from Arizona and it wasn't really busy at all.

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE

vyst posted:

I wish Jastiger was one of the 845828825858 murders each year in Chicago

That one dude lived.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Solice Kirsk posted:

$100?! Three hours?! Where the gently caress were you going? Joliet, a far south suburb of Chicago, only takes an hour and a half to get to by public transport. Were you going to Springfield? Honestly, I don't think you were here at all. Especially this last week because I was downtown entertaining some friends from Arizona and it wasn't really busy at all.

Addison to Navy PIer is $65.19 one way. NOPE.

Gamer With Dignity
May 15, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
This op sounds like a whiny little bitch to me.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
The funny thing about Chicago tourists is that there are quite a few Mennonites you see taking in the sights. You generally see them waiting in line for the Sears Tower but I'm kinda curious what else they go to see. Do they slam back a beer and Chicago dog at Harry Cary's? Do they marvel at Trump tower and dream of the day he becomes Prez?

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

It sounds like you avoided every part of the city that's enjoyable and sped straight to the tourist cesspools. :laffo: at the thought of a Des Moineser trying to drive around Chicago, hope you were wearing your depends. Never, ever, EVER drive to the Loop unless your goal is to eviscerate your wallet as quickly as possible. Public transit sucking? Maybe if you were trying to take a bus on the probable busy tourist weekend you visited. Take the El, you could have parked for free around almost ANY stop west of the loop with enough effort and taken the train in for a bit more then $2 a pop. You are very right about North ave though, if you take it from Elmhurst you see some real poo poo on your way in... it's also almost a guarantee to be one of the slowest ways into the city.

How to enjoy Chicago:
Don't loving drive
Eat hot dogs/italian beefs/deep dish whathaveyou
Avoid Wrigely like the plague
DON'T loving DRIVE WHEN THERE IS A SPORTS GAME OF ANY KIND
Use your ability to reason: if this bar is charging $6 for Bud and $9 for Blue Moon get the gently caress out.

Des Moines has the whole "quaint" thing about it, being small and easy to comprehend as a whole. You won't get overwhelmed exploring the city, duh, there is literally nothing overwhelming besides the selection during the farmers markets. Any "bad" part is less "bad" then the "good" parts of Chicago. There are some really drat good restaurants and stores considering its size. One gigantically huge issue: you're in Iowa.

Source: lived near Des Moines for 4 years, lived in Logan Square for 4 years. Left a year ago because gently caress Chicago.

Jastiger posted:

Addison to Navy PIer is $65.19 one way. NOPE.

That is not how you public transport. Sounds like you opened up uber and accepted what it shat on you. Also what the hell is in Addison?? or why the hell would you ever go there?

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
How to Enjoy Chicago: Leave

Currently in NOLA, I'm surprised at the amount of fit/thin women here compared to Chicago. Obviously they're transplants but still. Lol, just lol, at the praise being thrown around for the CTA. Munich, Berlin, Vienna, Tokyo, Stockholm, London, even Paris wipe the floor with Chicago. How many times did I commute to work on the Red or Brown, only to sit on a parked train for an hour because of some bullshit issue (slow zones, maintenance, cold weather). Also, real smart building elevated train tracks in a cold weather climate.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Putty posted:

jastiger fight me in smash

please dont do that :ohdear:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

White guy goes to chicago, complains about traffic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkgahChTkyk

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
Oh wow some bumblefuck white hick didn't enjoy his drive around murder city go loving die bitch

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

BaconCopter posted:

It sounds like you avoided every part of the city that's enjoyable and sped straight to the tourist cesspools. :laffo: at the thought of a Des Moineser trying to drive around Chicago, hope you were wearing your depends. Never, ever, EVER drive to the Loop unless your goal is to eviscerate your wallet as quickly as possible. Public transit sucking? Maybe if you were trying to take a bus on the probable busy tourist weekend you visited. Take the El, you could have parked for free around almost ANY stop west of the loop with enough effort and taken the train in for a bit more then $2 a pop. You are very right about North ave though, if you take it from Elmhurst you see some real poo poo on your way in... it's also almost a guarantee to be one of the slowest ways into the city.

We wanted to avoid the interstate since it was mega busy, so we took a surface road. I wasn't sad we took it, but it was definitely an eye opener.

quote:

How to enjoy Chicago:
Don't loving drive
Eat hot dogs/italian beefs/deep dish whathaveyou
Avoid Wrigely like the plague
DON'T loving DRIVE WHEN THERE IS A SPORTS GAME OF ANY KIND
Use your ability to reason: if this bar is charging $6 for Bud and $9 for Blue Moon get the gently caress out.

Des Moines has the whole "quaint" thing about it, being small and easy to comprehend as a whole. You won't get overwhelmed exploring the city, duh, there is literally nothing overwhelming besides the selection during the farmers markets. Any "bad" part is less "bad" then the "good" parts of Chicago. There are some really drat good restaurants and stores considering its size. One gigantically huge issue: you're in Iowa.

Source: lived near Des Moines for 4 years, lived in Logan Square for 4 years. Left a year ago because gently caress Chicago.

That is not how you public transport. Sounds like you opened up uber and accepted what it shat on you. Also what the hell is in Addison?? or why the hell would you ever go there?

I just looked up the taxi rates online and put in the destinations I was in and the distance I'd have to travel and it spit back out the rate to me. I was in Addison because it was the only reasonably priced hotel that wasn't in the bad part of town. We're not afraid of walking or driving, but Chicago sure wants you to hate it.

I will say they have the "Polish" they offer in Chicago. Is good. Far better than the "Chicago Dog". Should replace the dog with the Polish.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i'm also pooping in your thread but i didn't light a candle :twisted:

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ruddiger posted:

White guy goes to chicago, complains about traffic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkgahChTkyk

Jastiger isn't white :ssh:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So you got a hotel in a different county and then bitched about the city being hard to get to? Now it makes sense.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Jastiger posted:

Jastiger isn't white :ssh:

Bad ignorant people are white; you are now white.

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

Alan Smithee posted:

P sure that's either Portland or slc

Portland is the largest white "city" and other metro areas are "whiter" but it isn't as bad as it is here. Even Iowa and Nebraska are less whitebread poo poo than Portland is.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Solice Kirsk posted:

So you got a hotel in a different county and then bitched about the city being hard to get to? Now it makes sense.

Lol no i said its hard to navigate IN the city. Pay attention.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So this is what you were looking at. You picked a west suburb (not even a close one) with the intent of taking fast public transport into the city. You could have stayed in Oak Park (another west suburb) and been a single ~40 minute Metra ride away from downtown with like $5 parking at the station. Honestly it's your fault for all your parking/traffic/public transport issues because your "trip to Chicago" was really a trip to one of the farthest suburbs and you happened to swing into Chicago a few times.

What you did would be like expecting Des Moines to have good public transport to Booneville. Which, I just checked, doesn't exist at all.

edit:

Jastiger posted:

Ah, OK. Once you're in the city you're only ever a couple of rides away from absolutely anything. It's a block system and it's super easy to navigate. Maybe public transport is just not for you.

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 24, 2016

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Jastiger posted:

Chicago is laid out on a grid with only a few streets running on diagonals.

The addresses are systematic with every 800 address change = 1 mile.

It's completely straightfoward and logical

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Christ the Midwest is depressing. An oxygen bar? What is this 1996?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I can't think of any oxygen bars at all in the city and a quick yelp search shows one in Melrose Park. Which is probably what he's talking about since that is in the far west burbs where he stayed.

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

tbh this thread just shows how pathetically insecure chicago residents are

no resident of a city like des moines or omaha or minneapolis will rush to defend the hono(u)r of their shithole cities because they've already dehumanized themselves and faced to nothingness. residents of cities like chicago, san francisco, and seatlle are infatuated with the smell of their own farts and are easily trolled by the most loving obvious one GBS has ever seen

you all are gay imo

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

new york is actually legit good though

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Re read the review. I said Chicago has made the infrastructure pretty easy to navigate. It's the goddamn drivers that are the issue. When I took a wrong turn off Wacker I was able to figure out how to get back with no problem, was easy to navigate the 1 way roads. What wasn't were the assholes who straddle two lanes, taxis that turn right from the center lane IN FRONT OF A CAR ALREADY TURNING RIGHT WAITING FOR PEDESTRIANS WHAT THE gently caress, and lane changing for no reason other than to cut someone else off.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Solice Kirsk posted:

So this is what you were looking at. You picked a west suburb (not even a close one) with the intent of taking fast public transport into the city. You could have stayed in Oak Park (another west suburb) and been a single ~40 minute Metra ride away from downtown with like $5 parking at the station. Honestly it's your fault for all your parking/traffic/public transport issues because your "trip to Chicago" was really a trip to one of the farthest suburbs and you happened to swing into Chicago a few times.

What you did would be like expecting Des Moines to have good public transport to Booneville. Which, I just checked, doesn't exist at all.

edit:

Ah, OK. Once you're in the city you're only ever a couple of rides away from absolutely anything. It's a block system and it's super easy to navigate. Maybe public transport is just not for you.

I wasn't expecting public transport, you expected it for me. I didn't plan on using it because I knew it was far away, I was merely responding to someone asking why I didn't take it.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Not just Chicago but Illinois drivers in general are terrible. If you see a car cruising in the passing lane on the interstate nine times out of ten they're from Illinois.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yeah, I can't defend Chicago drivers at all. But I will say this, one time I got into a cab and told the cab driver I had to be at the train station in 15 minutes and we were about a 25 minute drive away at the start of rush hour. Dude got me there in 10. If you've never had a cab driver fly through a red light going 40mph or going the wrong way down a one way street because it is clear and you're only gonna be on it for one block then you've never lived. I just handed two $20s to the man and told him to keep it. It was fantastic. My only regret is that I didn't think to tell a cab driver to "step on it."

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Solice Kirsk posted:

Yeah, I can't defend Chicago drivers at all. But I will say this, one time I got into a cab and told the cab driver I had to be at the train station in 15 minutes and we were about a 25 minute drive away at the start of rush hour. Dude got me there in 10. If you've never had a cab driver fly through a red light going 40mph or going the wrong way down a one way street because it is clear and you're only gonna be on it for one block then you've never lived. I just handed two $20s to the man and told him to keep it. It was fantastic. My only regret is that I didn't think to tell a cab driver to "step on it."

This just lost CHicago some points you maniac.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

All truth, but Booneville is probably just Boone, a tiny town just outside of Ames which I actually know a few people from.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

ChesterJT posted:

Not just Chicago but Illinois drivers in general are terrible. If you see a car cruising in the passing lane on the interstate nine times out of ten they're from Illinois.

We don't have that rule here

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
Passing lanes don't exist when its a wall of traffic 24/7

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

ChesterJT posted:

You sound like someone who hasn't driven in many states.

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
all this time i thought jastiger was a white guy who liked fat chicks but it turns out he's just a black guy who is a black guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
dp

• Locked thread