Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Most of the cars from Japan and Europe were loving godawful pieces of poo poo in the 70's, despite a small handful of good cars escaping. For ever one gem (and I would dispute for instance the Stratos or the Countach are good cars - hooooly poo poo both in person and to drive are godawful! and the Celica? good? WHAT? Oh dear God, I grew up with friends who had them, gently caress the 70's Celicas, the 70's Accords were also turds) you get pieces of poo poo like the 120Y or the Galant / Lancer or just about any British car or ... wow the there's layers of Italian cars that are hosed up as well, the Corolla was just rotten, there's the Corona and row upon row of irredeemable poo poo Japan was building. Let alone the beginnings of emission control that strangled the gently caress out of the engines and that some of the most genuinely loving awful cars ever made came out of the 70's.

The 1940's dont really count for cars, given what happened. They were just cars. They didn't produce the actual genuine "What the ever living gently caress were they thinking??" layers of poo poo that just about every car maker spewed out in the 70's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Everyone answered the second question wrong. I want to hear some reasons why the 80s produced bad cars because the only bad cars made in that period were American.

Also I see nobody else in AI is an F1 fan.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Three top answers and an ace in the first 4 questions, pretty sure that is as many top answers as I've gotten in the previous three sheep games combined. :iiam:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

MrChips posted:

Alright so I am going to break my usual editorial stance and say that I totally disagree that the 70s sucked for cars; sure, if you were a fan of American cars yes, but if you look to Japan and Europe, it was a golden age. I mean, the 70s saw the Porsche 930 and 928, the BMW 2002 Turbo and the birth of the 3-, 5-, 6- and 7-Series as well as the M1, the OG VW Golf, the Renault 5, the Lancia Stratos, the Lamborghini Countach, the Ferrari 512 BB, the Z-car, the RX-7, the Honda Civic and Accord as well as the Toyota Celica.
If you do anything more than look at Japan and Europe's products, though, you'll hear the subtle fizzing of metal audibly corroding.

I chose the 70s because, while there were some good cars, the general feeling is one of "meh". The beauty and charm of the 60s stuff is largely gone, and the "modern" products (and build quality) of the 80s have yet to hove into view.

The next closest decade for me would have been the 40s, but I think that's a little unfair, as the issue with stuff from that decade (a huge amount of barely warmed-over 30s products) is pretty much down to the automotive (and every other industry) having had the poo poo kicked out of it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

1500quidporsche posted:

Everyone answered the second question wrong. I want to hear some reasons why the 80s produced bad cars because the only bad cars made in that period were American.

The 80s were a bad hybrid of '70s manufacturing trying to get to '90s reliability. That resulted in a whole lot of garbage, particularly in the early '80s. By '86, I remember remarking that most any car made would be reasonably reliable (and I was talking about a Sunfire/Cavalier at the time !!!). The beginning of the decade, though, was the introduction of electronics to cars, which was almost always a way to result in :barf:

I partially agree with MrChips in that, due to production and worldwide disruption, the '40s was a piss-poor decade, but by simply listing some rare non-turds that came about in the '70s, you do not begin to part the tide of the poo poo-torrent of garbage that was produced in the beginning-of-emissions era.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

MrChips posted:

Alright so I am going to break my usual editorial stance and say that I totally disagree that the 70s sucked for cars; sure, if you were a fan of American cars yes, but if you look to Japan and Europe, it was a golden age. I mean, the 70s saw the Porsche 930 and 928, the BMW 2002 Turbo and the birth of the 3-, 5-, 6- and 7-Series as well as the M1, the OG VW Golf, the Renault 5, the Lancia Stratos, the Lamborghini Countach, the Ferrari 512 BB, the Z-car, the RX-7, the Honda Civic and Accord as well as the Toyota Celica.

I'm with Geirskogul...the 1940s were the worst decade for cars. No production in the first half of the decade for obvious reasons, and when production resumed after the war, it was with almost exclusively pre-war designs. It wasn't until the end of the 1940s that actually new cars started to come off the production lines.
Yeah, but you're wrong. :colbert:

The 70s have to win by a country mile.

Sure, there were some of the best looking and garish cars to grace the bedroom wall of pubescent teenagers first built in the 70s, but even then they only got better as they matured in the 80s. Ferraris, Lambos, while looking sexy were fat, slow and wallowed.. There are going to be exceptions in every decade but surely the 70s was the worst. Even those shining glimmers of hope you mentioned weren't enough to rescue that god awful decade. They were the true cherries on the poo poo sundae.

Germany might have been spared more than most, but the the cars that the masses could actually afford were particularly abysmal.. and North American makers in particular were completely hopeless. The decade of the Pinto, super fat Mustang and small Mustang, fatvette andTrans Ams with big blocks that could barely lay a strip of rubber from the factory as the decade wore on. Basically nothing that weighed less than 3000lbs and had more than 200HP. It was dismal in every metric. Japan was by no means safe either, the svelte sexy 69-70 240Z morphed into the fat downs-syndrome inflicted overweight 130HP powerhouse that became the 280ZX (I had one, I'm allowed) and the Celica wasn't much better. Th family cars the Japanese made had were hardly exciting, although still probably better than the poo poo North America was producing.

The 50s, 60s were by far better and the 80s started to see a break in the dreariness, with finally by the mid-late decade really good stuff by almost any measure happening.

The 40s shouldn't even count. The world was waging and recovering from the most cataclysmic war the planet had ever seen. It's like saying the worst Olympics were in 1944. That entire decade has one big fat asterisk.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
The very early 70's had awesome cars from everywhere. The late 70's and 80's were terrible from an aspect of being gutless, but you can fix that with some good old redneck engineering. You can't fix the ugly, blobby bullshit that dominated most 90's cars. You also have lovely efi systems in the early 90's controlled by lovely basic ecus. :colbert:

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jun 15, 2016

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I picked the 70s for the best cars in the game that asked that (my logic was that you could buy slightly used late-60s cars for fairly cheap). I picked the 70s this round because I remembered how many people said the 70s were terrible after that question. Gotta know how to play the game :kamina:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Cat Terrist brought his A game.

Also the worst 10 years of cars was 1975 to 1985. Emissions restrictions, the death of true muscle cars, teething problems with EFI, and some flat out junk.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jun 15, 2016

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

CannonFodder posted:

Also the worst 10 years of cars was 1975 to 1985. Emissions restrictions, the death of true muscle cars, teething problems with EFI, and some flat out junk.

Yeah honestly that's what I would have put for actual 10-year period; I figure the 70s captured the spirit of that era best, though.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

MrChips posted:

I'm with Geirskogul...the 1940s were the worst decade for cars. No production in the first half of the decade for obvious reasons, and when production resumed after the war, it was with almost exclusively pre-war designs. It wasn't until the end of the 1940s that actually new cars started to come off the production lines.

1949 Jaguar XK120 makes up for the whole decade IMO. :swoon:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Cars were making more than adequate power in the 80s and handling was made leagues better. In 7 years of owning cars with 80s EFI I've never had a real issue beyond idle air valves. The brakes for the first time ever didn't feel like a wet sponge, the cars were light and agile and the steering feel of most cars were very direct. Again none of this really applies to American cars which were mostly just as wet, sloppy and unreliable as ever but the rest of the world made some real good cars in that time period.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

CannonFodder posted:

I could probably get behind that.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

1500quidporsche posted:

I appreciate your answer. Maldonado really is the worst in recent history.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CannonFodder posted:

I'll agree with this. In the realm of fixed decades spanning 0-9, I put 1970-79 as worse than 80-89 because things got steadily worse along the way. 1980 cars were still pretty poo poo but by 1989 there were more than a few bright spots.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

1500quidporsche posted:

Cars were making more than adequate power in the 80s and handling was made leagues better. In 7 years of owning cars with 80s EFI I've never had a real issue beyond idle air valves. The brakes for the first time ever didn't feel like a wet sponge, the cars were light and agile and the steering feel of most cars were very direct. Again none of this really applies to American cars which were mostly just as wet, sloppy and unreliable as ever but the rest of the world made some real good cars in that time period.

Pretty much, most mid to late 80's Japanese cars were great. When I lived in Japan in the early 90's all the cars I owned were in that bracket and they were all great cars. Honda City in particular, Toyota Soarer and Skylines....I had a blast driving when I was there.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

CannonFodder posted:

In many ways I would suggest the 1973 oil crisis was the real trigger for just how bad 1970's cars got. The entire industry had to change in a blink of an eye, results were hosed up as a result.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
But the 240Z and 510 and 620 and Roadster and 2002 and Bavaria and Giulia Super and Montreal and dentside F-trucks and Novas.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The 1940's dont really count for cars, given what happened. They were just cars. They didn't produce the actual genuine "What the ever living gently caress were they thinking??" layers of poo poo that just about every car maker spewed out in the 70's.

Agreed 100%

Also I don't really count the BMW 2002 turbo as a "70s car" when 90% of the car was the same as the base 2002 from the 60s. :colbert:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Also the E30 Corolla coupe is the most beautiful car in existence and redeems the entire 1970s for me on looks alone.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

But the 240Z and 510 and 620 and Roadster and 2002 and Bavaria and Giulia Super and Montreal and dentside F-trucks and Novas.

1969, 1968, Oh HELL NO thats a turd, 1960's, 1966, 1968, Alfa, 1970 is still the 60's :P , ehhhhhhhh not really good, 1969

There's actually a lot of cars people think of as 70's that actually are 60's in design and release. Huh, the 60's was actually quite a good decade.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

I'm surprised I'm the only one who picked the future.

It's all downhill from here

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Elmnt80 posted:

The very early 70's had awesome cars from everywhere. The late 70's and 80's were terrible from an aspect of being gutless, but you can fix that with some good old redneck engineering. You can't fix the ugly, blobby bullshit that dominated most 90's cars. You also have lovely efi systems in the early 90's controlled by lovely basic ecus. :colbert:

Yeah, this was my reasoning as well. Most cars of the 90's were loving awful looking and it seems to be a lot easier to make a slow car fast than to make an ugly car look good.

I'm disappointed in myself as well, I had another answer for question 3 but apparently I deleted it for an actual sheep answer at some point.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Question 5: This person is, in my opinion, the greatest racing driver of all time.

Question 6: Race cars over the years have had some iconic paint schemes. This is the best one of all.

Answers soon...

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Question 5: This person is, in my opinion, the greatest racing driver of all time.

Aryton Senna - 29
TheFonz
SSJOnizuka
literally a fish
cursedshitbox
Bajaha
Cached Money
Seat Safety Switch
Enourmo
Maksimus54
Jeherrin
blindjoe
some_admin
Astrollinthepork
bolind
leica
KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Deeters
sadnessboner
SharkyTM
Somewhat Heroic
slidebite
CannonFodder
Sigma X
NitroSpazzz
ionn
CharlesM
Elmnt80
Mat_Drinks
The Royal Nonesuch

A. J. Foyt - 4
Liquid Communism
Wrar
IOwnCalculus
SFH1989

Walter Röhrl - 2
GrantC
Motronic

ACES:

German sweetheart, Michael Schumacher - Geirskogul
Lewis Hamilton (only because of his top gear track time in the Suzuki) - Slung Blade
Yoshi - scuz
The Stig - CornHolio
Niki Lauda - freelop
Colin McRae - Naked Bear
Tom Kristensen - KozmoNaut
Sébastien Loeb. - The Locator
Barrack Obama - ShittyPostmakerPro
I'm contractually obligated to answer Peter Brock - ephphatha
Nelson Piquet - 1500quidporsche
Bunta Fujiwara - InitialDave
don't know - ilkhan
THE GUY WHO KEEPS GETTING HOT CHICKS WITH BIG TITS IN THE PASSENGER SEAT - Cat Terrist
Mika Hakkinen - meatpimp
I'm a legend in my own mind. - Terrible Robot

Question 6: Race cars over the years have had some iconic paint schemes. This is the best one of all.

Gulf Racing - 30
Maksimus54
CornHolio
Seat Safety Switch
Bajaha
literally a fish
Slung Blade
Liquid Communism
Geirskogul
SSJOnizuka
blindjoe
The Locator
some_admin
leica
bolind
ephphatha
Astrollinthepork
KYOON GRIFFEY JR
ilkhan
Deeters
IOwnCalculus
sadnessboner
SharkyTM
slidebite
Sigma X
NitroSpazzz
SFH1989
Elmnt80
Mat_Drinks
ionn
meatpimp

John Player Special Racing - 5
TheFonz
Enourmo
Wrar
Terrible Robot
The Royal Nonesuch

Martini - 3
GrantC
Motronic
CannonFodder

Castrol - 2
scuz
freelop

British Racing Green/Gold - 2
Jeherrin
InitialDave

Porsche Le Mans pig livery - 2
Somewhat Heroic
Cached Money

ACES:

Repsol Livery - cursedshitbox
The 555 Impreza, duhhh! - Naked Bear
French racing blue - KozmoNaut
Yellow - ShittyPostmakerPro
Renault RE60 - 1500quidporsche
VOMIT FROM SAID HOT CHICKS - Cat Terrist
Herbie, the Love Bug's scheme - CharlesM

MrChips fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jun 16, 2016

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Scores after question 6:

Deeters - 133
SSJOnizuka - 123
slidebite - 123
SharkyTM - 123
leica - 112
literally a fish - 111
Bajaha - 107
Astrollinthepork - 107
sadnessboner - 107
Cached Money - 105
some_admin - 105
Mat_Drinks - 104
NitroSpazzz - 101
CannonFodder - 99
KYOON GRIFFEY JR - 98
Sigma X - 96
The Locator - 95
IOwnCalculus - 94
Maksimus54 - 93
Liquid Communism - 92
bolind - 89
meatpimp - 89
Somewhat Heroic - 87
Seat Safety Switch - 86
Elmnt80 - 85
blindjoe - 84
CornHolio - 82
Enourmo - 79
ionn - 77
The Royal Nonesuch - 75
SFH1989 - 74
TheFonz - 72
Wrar - 69
ephphatha - 63
InitialDave - 62
CharlesM - 54
ilkhan - 51
Motronic - 50
Slung Blade - 47
GrantC - 46
Jeherrin - 45
cursedshitbox - 44
freelop - 44
Geirskogul - 35
KozmoNaut - 23
Terrible Robot - 18
Naked Bear - 16
1500quidporsche - 12
scuz - 10
ShittyPostmakerPro - 9
Cat Terrist - 9

See you all tomorrow for the reveal of Questions 7 and 8!

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Ugh I should have known everyone would pick Gulf :mad:

Questions after that one got way tougher for me, gonna ace em all.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Found the two circle jerk questions. (I went Gulf for sheep points, JPS for reals.)

The Stig was a pro choice. I'm surprised only one of y'all picked Schumacher.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jun 15, 2016

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

meatpimp posted:

The Stig was a pro choice. I'm surprised only one of y'all picked Schumacher.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Man, you sheeple are so predictable. :smug:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I knew Senna would be the Sheep answer but I couldn't bring myself to do it. If the question was "greatest F1 driver ever" I'd have to split it between Senna and Schumacher, sure.

But Liquid Communism, Wrar, and SFH1989 know how to read the question. :smuggo:

Senna and Foyt were both arguably the best at their main form of racing (F1 and Indycar respectively) but Senna never really went outside of F1, aside from a test in a Penske Indycar sometime in the early '90s.

Foyt, aside from a dominant Indycar career (the first of three four-time 500 winners, 67 race wins, seven championships), is the only person to have 500 wins in both front-engine and rear-engine cars, and the only person to have wins in the Indy 500, Daytona 500, and 24 Hours of Le Mans. He is also apparently immortal, evidenced by the fact that he is still alive today despite a lifetime of brutal crashes, tractor incidents, and ice cream.

You want to win a F1 race, you pick Senna. You want your best chance of winning a race held anytime, anywhere, in anything? You pick Anthony Joseph Goddamn Foyt, Junior.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

ssjonizuka posted:

Man, you sheeple are so predictable. :smug:

quote:

1. Photos
2. One last thrash / burnout
3. Russia
4.1970's
5. Ayrton Senna
6. Gulf

1 and 2 not so good, 3-6 nailed it if I was actually playing seriously. 5 and 6 was pretty easy to work out the sheep answer.

quote:

Anthony Joseph Goddamn Foyt, Junior.

Not a bloody chance, Foyt is not even top ten of greatest drivers. Jackie Stewart, Jim Clark, Sebastian Loeb, a whole list of 50's and 60's racers and frankly the list goes on. Oh and Stirling Moss. That's just off the top of my head. Picking Foyt is every bit as silly as saying Peter Brock is the world's best - an equally long list of all sorts of racing wins over a huge amount of time but no, he's only arguably the best from Australia. Foyt might be the best US driver but he's in no way the best driver ever.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jun 16, 2016

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Counterpoint:
If it's not F1 it's not racing

I went with the sheep answer because I was pretty sure that would be it

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Questions after that one got way tougher for me, gonna ace em all.
It will be interesting from here. There were a couple I really struggled with and I'm sure will be aces.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I can't believe that I got an ace with Sebastian Loeb. God drat.

I have an interesting streak going here, either an ace, or top answer, nothing in between. I'm sure that will change though, as the next questions were pretty hard for me to figure out answers for.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Movin' up the board. About time you assholes got in line with the real thought leader around here.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

JPS is objectively superior to Gulf, however nice the latter might be.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Senna is a bum :colbert:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Couldn't decide between Yoshi or Toad, went with my gut.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
You spelled Ayrton wrong, and how did nobody pick Smokey Yunick's livery? It's like JPS, but better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Raluek posted:

... how did nobody pick Smokey Yunick's livery? It's like JPS, but better.

The game is to pick what you think everyone else will pick. Gulf livery is low hanging fruit on that question.

• Locked thread