Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yep, dropped some answers in your general direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CannonFodder posted:

No joke answers.
We'll be the judge of that.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I would like to clarify that when I take "useful" parts from a car, this may be anything from pinching a valve cap for one of the other cars, or as in the most recent case, cutting a three foot hole out the roof panel.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

MrChips posted:

Alright so I am going to break my usual editorial stance and say that I totally disagree that the 70s sucked for cars; sure, if you were a fan of American cars yes, but if you look to Japan and Europe, it was a golden age. I mean, the 70s saw the Porsche 930 and 928, the BMW 2002 Turbo and the birth of the 3-, 5-, 6- and 7-Series as well as the M1, the OG VW Golf, the Renault 5, the Lancia Stratos, the Lamborghini Countach, the Ferrari 512 BB, the Z-car, the RX-7, the Honda Civic and Accord as well as the Toyota Celica.
If you do anything more than look at Japan and Europe's products, though, you'll hear the subtle fizzing of metal audibly corroding.

I chose the 70s because, while there were some good cars, the general feeling is one of "meh". The beauty and charm of the 60s stuff is largely gone, and the "modern" products (and build quality) of the 80s have yet to hove into view.

The next closest decade for me would have been the 40s, but I think that's a little unfair, as the issue with stuff from that decade (a huge amount of barely warmed-over 30s products) is pretty much down to the automotive (and every other industry) having had the poo poo kicked out of it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

meatpimp posted:

The Stig was a pro choice. I'm surprised only one of y'all picked Schumacher.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Various Americans posted:

Cavalier :argh:
It's weird that over here, the Cavalier (still GM, but Vauxhall) was always a somewhat dowdy but perfectly decent car, with hot versions too, including a turbo AWD variant in the final generation.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I find the usual problem with "worst" car opinions is you have to take into account what the car was meant to be.

For instance, Micras are basic city cars, and they do that job pretty well and reliably. So even if they're not fantastic, they're doing their job.

A truly terrible car must not only be terrible on the face of it, it has to fail to do what it's meant to do, and the lower the bar, the more serious that is.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I will clarify (not a complaint) that my specific answer for 11 was "Utility Land Rover", as I think the stuff from '48 onwards is all very good at what it's intended to do.

It's the more "domesticated" LR products that are unacceptably shoddy (as opposed to acceptably/expectedly shoddy).

The Locator posted:

What in the hell made me answer Le'Car.. I have no idea where that came from. :v:
You didn't even get the Turbo ones!

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jun 18, 2016

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

ssjonizuka posted:

What are you doing with pictures of my wife!?!?

(Really, I don't get the reference, but you still better not be taking pictures of my wife!)
1) It's probably Kathleen Turner

2) I have extreme suspicions as to the admissibility of Cat's bodily fluids for testing at any job that involves heavy equipment.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

meatpimp posted:

For the next sheep game there should be a question "Which car started out awesome, but got progressively worse throughout each iteration / generation."

The answer is obvious, but many would get it wrong.
"All project threads"

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

MrChips posted:

Honda single-cylinder 4-stroke - KozmoNaut
Pro answer here. Covers up long-term abuse like the Catholic Church.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

The Locator posted:

I honestly had no idea how to answer that question, so my answer was from a 30 second deep research project involving Google and possibly a bit of alcohol and coin tossing.
Yeah, the K-series is a pretty good engine, it's the head gasket issues (which they did eventually fix) that are the problem, exacerbated by it being a bit undersized and overworked in the common Freelander fitment.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Thanks MrChips! Good fun as always!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I took the question to be which vehicle I liked, rather than the thread or the work that's gone into it.

• Locked thread