Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

:lol: Check for spiders and infest with spiders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

TheFonz posted:

Not to be a huge bitch(but I am) but I'll argue that waxing a car is washing/detailing it. You don't wax a dirty car. This is only for the first question, number two doesn't seem to fit with a group as well.

I would agree with that.
(you're a huge bitch)

slidebite fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 14, 2016

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

MrChips posted:

Alright so I am going to break my usual editorial stance and say that I totally disagree that the 70s sucked for cars; sure, if you were a fan of American cars yes, but if you look to Japan and Europe, it was a golden age. I mean, the 70s saw the Porsche 930 and 928, the BMW 2002 Turbo and the birth of the 3-, 5-, 6- and 7-Series as well as the M1, the OG VW Golf, the Renault 5, the Lancia Stratos, the Lamborghini Countach, the Ferrari 512 BB, the Z-car, the RX-7, the Honda Civic and Accord as well as the Toyota Celica.

I'm with Geirskogul...the 1940s were the worst decade for cars. No production in the first half of the decade for obvious reasons, and when production resumed after the war, it was with almost exclusively pre-war designs. It wasn't until the end of the 1940s that actually new cars started to come off the production lines.
Yeah, but you're wrong. :colbert:

The 70s have to win by a country mile.

Sure, there were some of the best looking and garish cars to grace the bedroom wall of pubescent teenagers first built in the 70s, but even then they only got better as they matured in the 80s. Ferraris, Lambos, while looking sexy were fat, slow and wallowed.. There are going to be exceptions in every decade but surely the 70s was the worst. Even those shining glimmers of hope you mentioned weren't enough to rescue that god awful decade. They were the true cherries on the poo poo sundae.

Germany might have been spared more than most, but the the cars that the masses could actually afford were particularly abysmal.. and North American makers in particular were completely hopeless. The decade of the Pinto, super fat Mustang and small Mustang, fatvette andTrans Ams with big blocks that could barely lay a strip of rubber from the factory as the decade wore on. Basically nothing that weighed less than 3000lbs and had more than 200HP. It was dismal in every metric. Japan was by no means safe either, the svelte sexy 69-70 240Z morphed into the fat downs-syndrome inflicted overweight 130HP powerhouse that became the 280ZX (I had one, I'm allowed) and the Celica wasn't much better. Th family cars the Japanese made had were hardly exciting, although still probably better than the poo poo North America was producing.

The 50s, 60s were by far better and the 80s started to see a break in the dreariness, with finally by the mid-late decade really good stuff by almost any measure happening.

The 40s shouldn't even count. The world was waging and recovering from the most cataclysmic war the planet had ever seen. It's like saying the worst Olympics were in 1944. That entire decade has one big fat asterisk.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

CannonFodder posted:

Also the worst 10 years of cars was 1975 to 1985. Emissions restrictions, the death of true muscle cars, teething problems with EFI, and some flat out junk.
I could probably get behind that.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Counterpoint:
If it's not F1 it's not racing

I went with the sheep answer because I was pretty sure that would be it

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Questions after that one got way tougher for me, gonna ace em all.
It will be interesting from here. There were a couple I really struggled with and I'm sure will be aces.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I know a lady who has a mid 90s Cavalier with, no poo poo, well over 500K on it and still on the original engine and transmission. And the god drat thing seemingly runs fine and actually looks pretty good. She just bought a new CRV so she isn't driving it anymore, but her senior citizen uncle is now using it as his daily driver.

That's got to be close to a world record for one of those.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Oh crap I knew I forgot about many of the projects. My answer is still a good one though

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I am satisfied with my place for my first ever sheep game especially in light of a couple of frankly bewildering answers. Thanks for putting it on Mr chips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

:monocle:

You like statistics more than is healthy, you know.

thanks for the info, it's interesting

• Locked thread