Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Roadie posted:

The Steam Controller combo of trackpad + inertial detection (for a combination of broad and fine movements) is actually super effective once you get used to it, and you don't have to figure out where to arrange a mousepad on your couch.

It could work, it'd be nice to see data of people who play with the Steam controller playing competitively against KB/M users though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SwissCM posted:

They'd only really need to buy a wireless mouse. The keyboard really isn't needed, though current controllers aren't particularly ergonomic when holding them with one hand.

They really need to bite the bullet and implement native mouse support on consoles, perhaps create a one-handed controller to go along with it. There's already stuff out there as you mentioned, it'd just need to be changed so it works natively. Might as well throw in actual keyboard support while they're at it, though I think, technically, both the XBone and PS4 support keyboards already though for text input. You could still segregate mouse and controller users online but at least there's the option for console players to compete on a level playing field and lets face it, FPS games will always control better using mice and mouse-like inputs over sticks.

Yeah that's true, in many ways controller in one hand and mouse in the other is even superior to M&KB (analog joystick beats digital keys, although keyboards pack tons of keys together if you need a ton of keybinds, where on a controller you'd end up having to chord the inputs)

The Steam Controller is pretty interesting as a hybrid of like a trackpad or an orbit ball mouse with a controller.

I like the VIVE controllers but I kinda wish one of them had a thumbstick as well as the touch pads...

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
How do people use VR stocks with a game like Onward? Doesn't it require you to be able to use one hand for stuff like syringe/grenade etc.? Can you just slip one controller out of the stock easily or something?

AgentF
May 11, 2009

SwissCM posted:

It could work, it'd be nice to see data of people who play with the Steam controller playing competitively against KB/M users though.

The Steam Controller is pretty great and a good step up from sticks but I reckon the KB/M players would still destroy them, just probably less so than against an equally-skilled thumbstick player.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

El Grillo posted:

How do people use VR stocks with a game like Onward? Doesn't it require you to be able to use one hand for stuff like syringe/grenade etc.? Can you just slip one controller out of the stock easily or something?

Granny toss grenades from between the legs with both hands.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

El Grillo posted:

Yep, with a good stock it's really easy to quickly put the controller in / take it out while playing.
https://youtu.be/uO85Rraih6Q

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I have one, it's very good, makes shooty games with rifles feel quite a bit more realistic & easier to shoot.

Somehow one of my friends immediately broke the (metal) strap clip and many of the bits are 3d printed plastic (PLA it seems) but it doesn't seem particularly fragile.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

rage-saq posted:

Yep, with a good stock it's really easy to quickly put the controller in / take it out while playing.
https://youtu.be/uO85Rraih6Q

Nice, got any clips of you reloading?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

mellowjournalism posted:

Nice, got any clips of you reloading?

I had to do some digging since most rounds I never need to reload :smug:
Here's an old one after I had only had the protube for about 3 weeks. My stream quality and layout was kind of crap back then, but you'll see the important bits. It's got me using a grenade along with a reload after an assault and a quick snap headshot at the end.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqn1aOGMJJU

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Cool, so the cups are just tension right? Smush it down until it feels solid enough?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

mellowjournalism posted:

Cool, so the cups are just tension right? Smush it down until it feels solid enough?

It's a combination of a precise cup shape and a squishy rubber layer along the inside cup walls. But yeah you just pull it out and press it in, pretty drat easy.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The second post in the thread has an updated list of games so people can go there for quick reference.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Any recommendations for a Oculus Store game that costs less/exactly 30bux? Looking to spend this store credit i got. I have:

Superhot
Roborecall
Google Earth
Arizona Sunshine
Elite Dangerous
Space Pirate trainer

I'm into anything really as long as it's well done, but i don't play online games so i guess online only games like Star Trek is out of the picture.

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008
Not directly related to the above, but Scanner Sombre with the VR beta is AMAZING so far, feels totally built for VR. The only quirk so far is that the audio got choppy after about 15 minutes of continuous play, but saving and reloading seems to solve that (for another 15 minutes or so). Unless the game goes way downhill it is easily worth the Steam sale price it's at now.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Went gently caress it and got the fancy Pro Tube with carbon and two point strap. Can't wait to try it in H3VR.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

SwissCM posted:

They'd only really need to buy a wireless mouse. The keyboard really isn't needed, though current controllers aren't particularly ergonomic when holding them with one hand.

They really need to bite the bullet and implement native mouse support on consoles, perhaps create a one-handed controller to go along with it. There's already stuff out there as you mentioned, it'd just need to be changed so it works natively. Might as well throw in actual keyboard support while they're at it, though I think, technically, both the XBone and PS4 support keyboards already though for text input. You could still segregate mouse and controller users online but at least there's the option for console players to compete on a level playing field and lets face it, FPS games will always control better using mice and mouse-like inputs over sticks.

Nah. It's completely unfair to expect people to use a non native control method to play competitively. It's exactly why consoles don't support K&M to begin with. The only way to keep a level playing field is to segregate the two.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

What is a native controller? Everything is just USB or Bluetooth peripherals these days, the only reason why games don't support mice on consoles is because Microsoft/Sony says they shouldn't.

They allow wheels for driving games, mice for FPS games doesn't seem like that much more of a stretch.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The difference in that situation is that in a game built for controllers, wheels are actually harder to drive with. A wheel gives the advantage of fine control, but a controller gives the advantage of easy (and sometimes somewhat automated) counter steering. A mouse is demonstrably better than a controller for shooters and there's no downside.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

SwissCM posted:

What is a native controller? Everything is just USB or Bluetooth peripherals these days, the only reason why games don't support mice on consoles is because Microsoft/Sony says they shouldn't.

They allow wheels for driving games, mice for FPS games doesn't seem like that much more of a stretch.

"native" in this instance can mean "what is the standard" which is a controller and has been for every generation of console. How many people buy wheels vs using the controller to play a racing game on a console?
There is no incentive for them to allow mice and keyboard on their consoles for competitive games because it's such a huge advantage. Much easier to just go 'nah' and have it like it is right now.

efb :argh:

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The Dreamcast and PS2 supported mice on some games!

I just don't see the point in segregating the two anymore, particularly with crossplay on XBOX it ends up limiting the online userbase for both platforms. Segregating online players by control input just makes more sense to me.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 4, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

SwissCM posted:

I just don't see the point in segregating the two anymore, particularly with crossplay on XBOX it ends up limiting the online userbase for both platforms. Segregating online players by control input just makes more sense to me.

How would that limit an online userbase less? If anything that seems like a really roundabout way of accomplishing the same thing.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Me and the missus both took turns playing the intro Wilson's Heart today. It's not an ideal way to play it for obvious reasons but it's necessary because we're great big wusses. Man, what a great game so far! Not surprised that it features a good few jump scares but it also does some fun psychological stuff which really, really messes with you in VR. Really enjoyable so far, I'll probably give it a runthrough on my own when we're done - assuming she makes it to the end anyway. I've never heard her scream so hard and she was literally paralysed with fear by the end of it.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

How would that limit an online userbase less? If anything that seems like a really roundabout way of accomplishing the same thing.

People are choosing platforms based on what their friends are using. It'd be cool if I could play with my friends on XBOX just by using a controller on my PC, or if they could use mouse input on consoles. The playing field is still level and no one has to buy extra hardware, outside of the peripherals. It's not like it's a whole lot of extra effort, if it's on PC already then most of the work is already done.

Also, mice are better for FPS games. It's indisputable and it's a major factor of why people go with PCs for that kind of gaming in the first place. Allowing mice in the right circumstances could be a selling point simply by virtue of being a better control method.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Taintrunner posted:

Went gently caress it and got the fancy Pro Tube with carbon and two point strap. Can't wait to try it in H3VR.

It's very awesome in H3VR but you really *have* to play Onward now, its in the protubes ToS ;)
I used to have a few #1 scores in H3VR MEATS, I'll have to see if they are still there

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

SwissCM posted:

Also, mice are better for FPS games. It's indisputable and it's a major factor of why people go with PCs for that kind of gaming in the first place. Allowing mice in the right circumstances could be a selling point simply by virtue of being a better control method.

Mice are more accurate. Better is totally subjective.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Shooters are going to get really weird if vr resolutions get high enough for ARMA style ranges. 10 years from now watching pro streamers trying to hold their breath while trying to clutch will be amazing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SwissCM posted:

The Dreamcast and PS2 supported mice on some games!

Dude I already covered all of this several posts ago.

Microsoft did tests and they found mouse always wins. If you allow mouse, it creates an environment where everybody has to buy a mouse. Lots of couch gamers don't like that, and the execs have decided that's not the direction they want to market their product.

Its as simple as that. Modern consoles already support USB mice and keyboards, you just can't really use them for anything.

Crossplay on xbox doesn't exist for FPS, for that exact reason.

Segregating by control input sounds great until you realize the consequences; forcing players into game queues that are twice as long is just gonna piss everybody off, and if one of them is more popular it creates a snowball effect where everybody moves to controller because trying to matchmake with mouse users takes too long. So again, there's no point.

SwissCM posted:

People are choosing platforms based on what their friends are using. It'd be cool if I could play with my friends on XBOX just by using a controller on my PC, or if they could use mouse input on consoles. The playing field is still level and no one has to buy extra hardware, outside of the peripherals. It's not like it's a whole lot of extra effort, if it's on PC already then most of the work is already done.

The companies would far rather have you have to purchase an xbox to play with your friend on xbox than let you do otherwise. You're not thinking about it like a business. That exclusivity is what drives console sales.

A fraction of those who own consoles would still own them if you could literally do everything on PC. Exclusivity is what sells.

You're just whining here dude. Sorry the world doesn't beat to your drum.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Songbearer posted:

Me and the missus both took turns playing the intro Wilson's Heart today. It's not an ideal way to play it for obvious reasons but it's necessary because we're great big wusses. Man, what a great game so far! Not surprised that it features a good few jump scares but it also does some fun psychological stuff which really, really messes with you in VR. Really enjoyable so far, I'll probably give it a runthrough on my own when we're done - assuming she makes it to the end anyway. I've never heard her scream so hard and she was literally paralysed with fear by the end of it.

This game had a part in it that did something really cool in VR towards the end, that I haven't seen another game do at all and it really messed with my head. Later in the game a wooden dummy "steals" your arm so now your right hand is a useless wooden arm and hand that can't grab or do anything but flop around and bang into stuff. Then, you end up having to saw off your own arm and just... the weird feeling first of having this dead prosthetic arm basically, and then having to saw off your own arm with your good hand later was just... man. As much as I hate the saw movies, it made me instantly think of being in one of those traps and it was fantastic.

Overall though I thought wilson's heart has the best balance of horror and fear of any VR game I've played yet. There are more scary and tense games, but they're almost too much really, just an overload and I can barely play them. Wilson's Heart I got right on that edge, but never crossed over into wanting to just quit from it being too stressful.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Well, at least VR controls work the same way across all major platforms :)

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

SwissCM posted:

They do work sometimes. Some games are coded cross platform and I remember an esport news saying that mouse was working fine for some CoD or Halo game. The company later patched the game to remove mouse support because of ~*unbalanced gameplay*~

So yea, it's an active choice. IMO it's no different than Arcade controllers for fighting games.

In VR, I hope that some game figures out how to use a good Binocular-style scope, because I haven't had any game with a scope yet feel 'right'

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
I finally got around to playing Vanishing Realms a bit tonight (I bought it months ago) - pretty amazing! It seems like a pretty great VR Zelda-esque experience. I love that you have to actually find openings to attach when fighting the enemies, and there are plenty of pots to smash and loots to grab. I'm not sure how much I have left, but I sure hope it goes on a bit longer - I love it so far.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

veni veni veni posted:

Mice are more accurate. Better is totally subjective.

Mice are more accurate than joypad, no debate there, but I'm much more accurate with the Touch controllers (or a real gun) than a mouse. I've played FPS games for years with a mouse and I'm just laughably bad at aiming for some reason; I wind up having to run around and knife people (or use a noob tube) to be even slightly competitive. With a mouse I'm constantly over/under aiming when I flick my wrist for shootymans but I'm sure lots of people are more capable with 1:1 motion controller intuition, especially if they don't have years of FPS experience.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

As a couch gamer and lifelong console player I find controllers infinitely better than a mouse and keyboard for playing games, even FPS, but I also recognize how much more accurate a mouse is and understand why people prefer it. They just need to stay the hell of of consoles and stop pretending like they aren'y blatantly cheating when they buy a $150 dollar dongle to bypass it and ruin the balance in console games.

The thing that sucks about VR is it kind of needs that cross play. VR needs something to help it thrive, but at the same time you could never balance that with someone using a M&K or controller.

I'd love to see a Battlefield style game where the troops or other roles are played in 2D, while planes and tanks or whatever are operated by VR players. Imo that would be rad.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Songbearer posted:

I avoided buying it because of all the talk about the severe restrictions on player movement etc., but it sounds pretty good in terms of the atmosphere/visuals/narrative. Whenever it goes on a proper sale I'll have to pick it up.

JohnnySmitch posted:

I finally got around to playing Vanishing Realms a bit tonight (I bought it months ago) - pretty amazing! It seems like a pretty great VR Zelda-esque experience. I love that you have to actually find openings to attach when fighting the enemies, and there are plenty of pots to smash and loots to grab. I'm not sure how much I have left, but I sure hope it goes on a bit longer - I love it so far.
I loving love it. Wish he'd release more content. The only thing really lacking from the close combat is better AI which can parry/dodge the player's attacks properly.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Alpha Phoenix posted:

In VR, I hope that some game figures out how to use a good Binocular-style scope, because I haven't had any game with a scope yet feel 'right'

The one in Pavlov feels pretty good, the reloading mechanisms are fun too.

veni veni veni posted:

As a couch gamer and lifelong console player I find controllers infinitely better than a mouse and keyboard for playing games, even FPS, but I also recognize how much more accurate a mouse is and understand why people prefer it. They just need to stay the hell of of consoles and stop pretending like they aren'y blatantly cheating when they buy a $150 dollar dongle to bypass it and ruin the balance in console games.

I play on a couch too, only with a PC connected to a projector. Laser mice work on just about any surface now and are wireless, they work fine on the arm rest and comfort-wise aren't much different from a controller, just a hell of a lot more accurate.

I use dual stick controllers too as they work better for a good number of games, but even those aren't really a universal standard on consoles. There's arcade sticks, flight sticks, the aforementioned wheels and there's even a officially licensed mouse & keyboard-like thing you can get for the PS4. I get that you like your dual stick controllers but your personal preferences shouldn't be what dictates what other people want to play with.

Over the next decade, I see consoles as being distinct from PCs becoming less relevant. The only significant advantage that they offer is their price, as convenience has become less of a draw over time as many of the same irritations that stem from PC's complexity have branched over to the consoles as well (system updates, app installs and updates etc). At the same time, while I have misgivings about Windows 10 it is a hell of a lot easier to use and manage than it used to be. Platform exclusivity is also much less of a thing, Japanese games are flooding onto Steam now and XBOX titles are usually dual-platform, leaving only a few sports games and Sony and Nintendo first party stuff as console-only.

At some point, the XBOX will just be a standard PC with some preinstalled UI and maybe a Win10S-like unlock ability, something it's pretty close to being already. Even Sony has started making concessions towards PC, with official DS4 wireless USB adaptors and drivers along with PS Now streaming being available on the platform. Not to mention that both consoles are x86 anyway, making a switch to a more standardised architecture down the track way, way easier.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jul 4, 2017

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

veni veni veni posted:

What are your thoughts on turbo buttons?

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Which lead to the obvious photoshop, making me suspect that their ad agencies or creative types must be aware of what goes on at SA
Has anyone had any success with some kind of cable management system to prevent themselves from tripping/getting tangled up in the long cables for headsets?

While I haven't tripped over mine yet, I am keenly aware of it while I play, and I'm thinking of putting some kind of pulley on the ceiling of my office, along with some kind of re-winder system so that when I move around it more or less manages to keep the cable from pooling on the floor or whatever.

Anyone have something like this? I'm playing room scale (about 3x2.5 meter play space) if that matters.

metztli fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jul 4, 2017

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Just be bare foot and wear shorts. You’ll feel where your cables are.

If you don’t VR in your underwear you’re doing it wrong.

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Which lead to the obvious photoshop, making me suspect that their ad agencies or creative types must be aware of what goes on at SA

Bum the Sad posted:

Just be bare foot and wear shorts. You’ll feel where your cables are.

If you don’t VR in your underwear you’re doing it wrong.

While VR in one's undies makes undeniable sense, I wound up setting up a rig by screwing a couple of hooks into one of the rafters in my space, attached a pair of retractable dog leashes a couple of feet apart, and then ran the cable through that. Only problem is that I only have really light weight leashes, so the retracting mechanism isn't strong enough to pull the cord up all the way, but it was still 10x better than it was. Once I replace the leashes with stronger ones it should be amazing.

On a different note - Audioshield. Holy poo poo, that thing is amazing. I don't know what the gently caress I was thinking, but I went through Flight of the Bumblebee, the Katchurian Saber Dance, Boston's Long Time (extended version) and then ended with the long cut of Freebird. That's no joke a pretty good workout, and I'm really glad the padding for the headset is washable.

I also got Soundboxing and Gladius, figuring those look fun as hell and should help me get an upper body workout. Anyone recommend anything that engages the legs, maybe a dance/rhythm game? I guess that would be hard to track (unless they make trackers for your ankles?) but maybe something that makes you crouch or something a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I honestly don't even notice the cord anymore. It makes certain games like holopoint less good than they could be but for the most part games aren't designed to make you spin around constantly. Wireless is a nice to have but not a must for me, and honestly carrying around a half point extremely warm battery in my pocket seems like a greater hassle.