Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Infinite Monkeys posted:

The OP sure has a lot of unexplained acronyms.

VR = Virtual Reality.
3D = Three dimensional.
PC = Personal computer, usually referring to a desktop computer.
HTC = Taiwanese cellphone company, name taken from founder HT Chou.
HMD = Head-mounted display. ie. a box strapped to your face.
DRM = Digital Rights Management or how to inconvenience your own customers and make pirated copies the superior version.
PSVR = PlayStation Virtual Reality. Sony's attempt at stepping into virtual reality.
PS4 = PlayStation 4. The fourth iteration of the SNES CD-rom drive.
UAC = User Account Control. Microsoft's invention to make life a living hell for all people using their OS
OS = Operative System. Windows is the most likely one you've used in an office environment. MacOS if you are an artist or a teenager.
USD = United States Dollar.
HDMI = High-Definition Multimedia Interface. It connects to your TV, or in this case, into your graphics card.
TV = Television. An outdated piece of technology trying very hard to remain relevant.
RGB = Red Green Blue. Colors. Usually has something to do with monitors when used in this context. It depends heavily on the context in which it is used in.
StarVR/Fove/OSVR = Nobody knows yet and it probably shouldn't even be on your radar until we know more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
MSI has a backpack PC for VR. Not sure about this, seems overkill for the cable problem, especially since you'd still have limits on how you do body tracking so you couldn't just walk around in a field using it as a VR roomscale space... but still kinda cool. Necessary for those huge laser tag VR things, I guess.

http://kotaku.com/a-gaming-pc-you-can-wear-on-your-back-1779574739

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
I wonder how many seconds the battery lasts for.

BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope

..btt posted:

I wonder how many seconds the battery lasts for.

I think I read it lasts 1 hour and you can hot-swap the main battery with a replacement because it has a short term backup battery that will bridge the gap.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Apparently Facebook is getting flak again for constantly listening to you through your phones microphone to figure out what you are interested in: http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...r-a7057526.html

I'm sure Oculus Home will in no way invade your privacy like ever. Bear in mind their excuse is that you had to accept the permission to allow Facebook access to your microphone so you are consenting. Oculus Home also has some pretty egregious stuff in their privacy policy and what they can collect on you policies that everyone had to agree with too. Currently it appears Oculus Home isn't doing much tracking, but it'll be interesting to see if/how that changes.

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 31, 2016

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

quote:

She says that to test the feature, she discussed certain topics around the phone and then found that the site appeared to show relevant ads.

Though Professor Burns said she was not convinced that Facebook is listening in on conversations – it may have been that she was searching for the same things that she chose to discuss around the phone – but she said that it wouldn't be a surprising move from the site.

Sounds like a slam dunk to me :geno:

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

MSI has a backpack PC for VR. Not sure about this, seems overkill for the cable problem, especially since you'd still have limits on how you do body tracking so you couldn't just walk around in a field using it as a VR roomscale space... but still kinda cool. Necessary for those huge laser tag VR things, I guess.

http://kotaku.com/a-gaming-pc-you-can-wear-on-your-back-1779574739

HP too, Ars Technica did a little writeup:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/05/msi-hp-zotac-backpack-vr-pc-details-specs-price-release-date/

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Lemming posted:

Sounds like a slam dunk to me :geno:

Read further into the article: "Facebook says explicitly on its help pages that it doesn’t record conversations, but that it does use the audio to identify what is happening around the phone. "

Yeah clearly we're just using audio to identify, ya know... stuff...

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Knifegrab posted:

Read further into the article: "Facebook says explicitly on its help pages that it doesn’t record conversations, but that it does use the audio to identify what is happening around the phone. "

Yeah clearly we're just using audio to identify, ya know... stuff...

Yeah, the article discusses the explicit use for that feature, which is listening to stuff around you when you're about to make a post (like song identifying algorithms), which you can turn off, and is not new or news. So nothing like what you claimed it was saying, which was "Apparently Facebook is getting flak again for constantly listening to you through your phones microphone to figure out what you are interested in:" and the only evidence supplied for that was some random idiot claiming it was maybe doing that, or maybe it wasn't. Good article.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Lemming posted:

Yeah, the article discusses the explicit use for that feature, which is listening to stuff around you when you're about to make a post (like song identifying algorithms), which you can turn off, and is not new or news. So nothing like what you claimed it was saying, which was "Apparently Facebook is getting flak again for constantly listening to you through your phones microphone to figure out what you are interested in:" and the only evidence supplied for that was some random idiot claiming it was maybe doing that, or maybe it wasn't. Good article.

Lets see, you were wrong about Oculus Home forever ago, but I'm sure you're right here and Facebook would never invade user's privacy.

You're right its not confirmed but from the article "Though Professor Burns said she was not convinced that Facebook is listening in on conversations – it may have been that she was searching for the same things that she chose to discuss around the phone – but she said that it wouldn't be a surprising move from the site."

It's called extrapolating, especially when barring a court order a company won't admit to spying on you. This is not a company that values your privacy over their ability to sell your information (which has been proven time and time again)

Just posting this for anyone else who values their privacy. Its not supposed to be an end-all-be-all article, just thought it was interesting and raises some concerns about what facebook could be doing. Not sure how you'd prove this substantially outside of having the code in hand/a court order.

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 31, 2016

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Knifegrab posted:

Lets see, you were wrong about Oculus Home forever ago, but I'm sure you're right here and Facebook would never invade user's privacy.

You're right its not confirmed but from the article "Though Professor Burns said she was not convinced that Facebook is listening in on conversations – it may have been that she was searching for the same things that she chose to discuss around the phone – but she said that it wouldn't be a surprising move from the site."

It's called extrapolating, especially when barring a court order a company won't admit to spying on you. This is not a company that values your privacy over their ability to sell your information (which has been proven time and time again)

Talking about these issues is perfectly reasonable, and I think the investigation that one guy did into what Oculus home was looking at and sending data to home servers about was interesting.

This article is worthless poo poo, though. It's pure speculative nonsense that tries to pretend it has credibility by saying "wow a professor said it! That means it must be real!" when her "experiment" was beyond useless.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Lemming posted:

Talking about these issues is perfectly reasonable, and I think the investigation that one guy did into what Oculus home was looking at and sending data to home servers about was interesting.

This article is worthless poo poo, though. It's pure speculative nonsense that tries to pretend it has credibility by saying "wow a professor said it! That means it must be real!" when her "experiment" was beyond useless.

There are tons of anectdotals online for this happening as well. Unfortunately all of this is hard to prove. Unless you have a court order or code in hand how can we ever really prove that? Maybe some clever hacker can definitely show it is or isn't happening but all we have is speculation but when piled onto all of the tales of it happening it starts to get somewhat concerning, even if completely wrong.

What we do know is facebook considers any "engagement" to be a marketable affair. That means liking something, posting something, commenting something etc. They also recently confirmed that their new emotion system (which lets you like, sad, anger, funny a post) is considered an "engagement" and they can sell or utilize that information however they want.

I just find it hard to believe a company who has a microphone available to them on every phone wouldn't take advantage of that marketability as well, especially with all these "test and experiments" coming out of the wood work, this article is hardly the first. Maybe they're all bullshit, but its still a concern many people have and something that is starting to be somewhat substantiated by both these reports and just by nature of it being their defacto M.O.

The writing is on the wall.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Don't install facebook on your phone, because it eats through your battery for no reason. I uninstalled facebook and I went from 1 day of battery life that was pretty much mostly standby to 2-3 days with moderate use.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Cojawfee posted:

Don't install facebook on your phone, because it eats through your battery for no reason.

Well, now we "know" the reason, right?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There's been various reasons. They used to (or maybe still do) play a silent audio file in order to keep the process running to constantly check for notifications.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
The plural of anecdote is not data. You could absolutely set up a good controlled experiment to get a better understanding of the sort of things that's actually happening, but that's not what people are doing.

I would not be surprised at all if they were using the microphone like that in some way (because that's the sort of information that would be useful to them) and I would not be surprised at all if they weren't doing that (because it's too difficult, because they don't want the backlash if people found out, because they genuinely don't want to invade privacy in that way), but linking garbage articles like that and pretending that it's proof of anything or supports your argument in any way makes you look foolish, muddies the waters, and isn't productive in any way. It's pure clickbait nonsense.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

Don't install facebook on your phone, because it eats through your battery for no reason. I uninstalled facebook and I went from 1 day of battery life that was pretty much mostly standby to 2-3 days with moderate use.

This too. I have a 6P and my phone already lasts a good two days off a charge but when I uninstalled facebook and messenger I now get about 3-4 days of charge. Its pretty crazy.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Cojawfee posted:

I've "heard" form a source that I consider to be credible that the FB app has gotten a lot better on Android at least when it comes to battery usage, but that you should also absolutely not have it installed as it "messes with parts of the Android system that aren't really for apps to mess with"

Also, the mobile site works pretty well in Chrome.

Messenger probably doesn't do that.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
more first day vive trip reporting

Watching my non-gamer girlfriend play Job Sim last night was the most adorable thing. All we've done so far is the clerk job, but she was a complete contrast to me. I was throwing things at people, being generally dissatisfied with the robot customers' behaviour, overcharging people, and essentially making a mess of the place. I finished the module (in the 'large' room formation) buried up to my knees in poo poo.

On the other hand, when she was playing (without having seen me), her main goal seemed to be doing a good job and making people happy. She made sure to charge everyone for exactly what they had bought - the couple times she screwed up she tried to make it right in other ways (like the rich guy who wanted 'anything', she had accidentally rung through something before he came in, and the last customer had taken it for free. so she gave the rich guy a beef jerky but was sure to scan it at regular and then jumbo size it on the house). She took a lot of gratification out of getting the tickets into the recycling bins across the room, and when she was robbed she made sure to adjust the camera angle on the security video so it captured the bandit.

her only concession to the dark side was her collection of spite hotdogs. if someone was a jerk or an idiot and only if their request allowed for it (give me a hotdog! or give me something for free, etc), they got a burned spite hotdog. (handed to them politely)

this is all even after I told her there was no grading at all and she wouldn't be judged at the end

vr is amazing and really puts you there, with just the smallest suspension of disbelief, is basically what I'm getting at

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 20:26 on May 31, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Walrus posted:

Watching my non-gamer girlfriend play Job Sim last night was the most adorable thing.

:3:

Yeah I love how fast you just start playing along with the virtual world. Playing Job Sim I pretty quickly got "in character", I was more of a jerk like you than a super nice person like your GF, but I did some little touches. Like whenever somebody took an order, I would actually say "Thanks, come again!" and then wave at them with the remotes/hands.

The ability to make your own gameplay like that is fantastic and something that traditional 2D/3D games are sorely lacking. The game industry has gone almost completely in the direction of highly structured, scripted, limited experiences where you can only do this or that and you just do it over and over in pleasing ways. I much prefer the freedom to actually do whatever I want.

As soon as somebody makes a proper MMORPG in VR they're going to make $Texas money. World of Warcraft was nothing compared to the virtual reality MMO phenomenon that's going to hit us in a few years. The userbase isn't there yet though and the games definitely aren't ready.

redhalo
May 19, 2009

I hate that this may be a needed thing, but for the paranoid or if you just want total control here are some scripts for controlling the Oculus service.
https://github.com/drcursor/OculusScripts

Also, looks like my Rift will finally be arriving tomorrow. Yay.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
Rift Owners: Is the camera supposed to stay on when Oculus Home is running?
I've had issues with getting the camera to wake up after extended downtime and I just now had to restart the service for it to start working again.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

:3:

Yeah I love how fast you just start playing along with the virtual world. Playing Job Sim I pretty quickly got "in character", I was more of a jerk like you than a super nice person like your GF, but I did some little touches. Like whenever somebody took an order, I would actually say "Thanks, come again!" and then wave at them with the remotes/hands.

lol I'm glad I'm not the only one who got into it like that. When the lady wanted lottery tickets without a beat I muttered under my breath 'yeah makes sense you look like a moron'.

Most immersed I've been in a game ever pretty much.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
It's good to keep in mind that Facebook does some shady poo poo and you really shouldn't trust services that don't respect the ethical boundaries of the host nation.
Apparently OkCupid did some similar stuff to its users in the past as far as manipulating what a user sees.

This is in comparison to Valve, who just wants to sell you games and make PC gaming more accessible and visible

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Thor-Stryker posted:

It's good to keep in mind that Facebook does some shady poo poo and you really shouldn't trust services that don't respect the ethical boundaries of the host nation.
Apparently OkCupid did some similar stuff to its users in the past as far as manipulating what a user sees.

This is in comparison to Valve, who just wants to sell you games and make PC gaming more accessible and visible

It's not that I think Valve are angels, but.. there's a saying, I forget the specifics, but it goes something like "If a service costs you nothing, then what they're selling is you." Valve increases its profits by making you want to buy more games, which they mainly do through low prices and being customer friendly. Facebook increases profits by getting personal information on its customers.

It's a bit early to say Oculus will go down that route (I'm of the opinion that Facebook mostly just wanted to set up a walled garden and sell software), but it's certainly something I'd worry about.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Good news guys, today's call to HTC's customer support has resulted in my ticket being escalated to the "we've ignored the customer for more than 10 business days" super-que, I've been assured that this means that now they will really work this out "as soon as possible".

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Bremen posted:

It's a bit early to say Oculus will go down that route (I'm of the opinion that Facebook mostly just wanted to set up a walled garden and sell software), but it's certainly something I'd worry about.

Considering how much whiplash Facebook/Oculus has already received about their walled garden + drm, I wouldn't put it past them to capitalize on any a viable method of income in order to break even.

But attempting to subtly influencing users emotions for science without direct consent is pretty hosed up. Imagine if a user was near suicidal and all the negative news they were getting bombarded with had sent them over the edge...

Sure the likelihood isn't very probable, but FB used a database far larger than a standard scientific study.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
So that Pool Nation VR game comes out tomorrow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAo2FoifcSE

Looks like it should be pretty fun.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Thor-Stryker posted:

I always thought the OkCupid stuff was fine (back when it was really okCupid and not just Match.com with a different name). They adjusted weights and collected data to try and better serve their customers, and they shared the results of their research publicly so people could use it to better their own odds of success, and used their results internally to help people find better matches. Nothing they did was ever really any more harmful to their customers than bad algorithms would have been. None of it was on the level of user-contempt that Facebook seems to exhibit.

Basically what I'm saying is that information that is collected to benefit my experience is a good deal different than information that is collected to better exploit me, and it definitely seems like Oculus is now the sort of company that would be more likely to go down the second road than the first.

Dukeofdummies
Feb 1, 2012

Go on good sir, you have my full attention.
Is there any word on anybody making a Minority Report style setup with VR? Everything I've seen so far seems like they just throw up one or two big screens in a floating space.

I would love it if I could just spew out windows into floating surfaces around me. It would be awesome if I could open up Source Film Maker and literally drag the scout into the pose I want him in with a few pictures floating around me as a reference.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
adr1ft is on sale and now works on the vive. worth it?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

The Walrus posted:

I hear its pretty nausea inducing but haven't tried it myself.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

The Walrus posted:

It's fine but kind of boring

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Aphex- posted:

The comments on the superhot subreddit where he confirmed Oculus exclusivity are pretty funny.

https://www.reddit.com/r/superhot/comments/4ld39q/superhot_dev_log_1/d3p14yp

It's a lovely decision for sure. I was looking forward to it when they first announced they'd be doing things with VR. Not any more I guess.

I laughed out loud at the "Good Dog" picture from the game.

SUPERHOT is really cool though, shame Oculus keeps trying to Oculus-up things.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The Walrus posted:

It doesn't they said it would in May but they've been silent about it, it still doesn't have Vive suppport.

OrganicAnkleSocks
Dec 5, 2005
I'd done the Rift demo last week, then on Monday did the Vive demo.

I experienced the same effect of colors being somewhat washed out on the Vive, so I think it is just me. I'm used to gaming in a semi-dark room on a somewhat expensive IPS monitor that has good color depth and contrast. Either way, with both demos I noticed that after playing/watching for a few minutes the 'high gamma effect' started reducing, and I also was not noticing the pixel grid as much.

Either way, I think the tech is awesome and I had enough fun especially with the Vive that I'm getting tempted to pull the trigger.

I noticed that the Vive felt more comfortable, even if I felt a little like I was sporting Predator dreads with the cable snaking down my back. I wear eyeglasses, and though I have a small head and wear small, thin-framed glases, the Rift pushed them against my nose bridge to where I could feel it would be painful after a while. Even after readjusting the straps several times and taking the Rift off and putting it back on, my eyeglasses still pressed into my nose. The Vive did not have this issue--I don't know if it was the cushioning around the headset or what.

The main things holding me back from purchasing are generally minor. I only have a GTX 770 (I did an upgrade not long ago, just waiting for 1080s to become available). I don't have a lot of space (though after moving a chair, I have about 5' x 5', and I think if I move some other things i can get 5' x 6' or even 6' x 6', so I don't think this is a big deal). I wish there was more of a common API or whatever like DirectX where games can be developed for VR and play on any headset, but at least with Oculus locking things and making exclusives, that is kind of hard. Though third party stereo injectors seem to help.

If I purchase a Vive (the one I'm leaning toward due to comfort with my eyeglasses), how well do older games play with stereo injectors and Vive? I know the interface can be unreadable, it will be a seated game, and just not as good as made-for-VR games. But, does it absolutely have to run at 1080x1200 ish or can lower resolutions upscale fine? I guess the 90fps is the really important part for a game not inducing nausea?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Honestly there isn't much point to playing a game that is not designed for VR in VR. If the game is heavily modified or built from the ground up it can be really cool but personally I don't see the point in stereo injected traditional games.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I don't know much of the specifics with getting stuff like Vorpx to work because I haven't tried any of it myself, but based on how great the 3D in 3DS games is I'm going to guess that it's because it's great.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Knifegrab posted:

Honestly there isn't much point to playing a game that is not designed for VR in VR. If the game is heavily modified or built from the ground up it can be really cool but personally I don't see the point in stereo injected traditional games.

It's fun because it looks 3d & poo poo, which is one step up from playing in a BigScreen type environment, which is one step up from playing IRR (in real reality) like a loving chump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Has anyone else had issues with Vivecraft having jittery and bad head tracking? I had it to a point where it was literally unplayable and then enabled FXAA which somehow reduced it a lot, but doesn't seem to have eliminated it completely.

Vivecraft is pretty rad, gently caress those little zombie babies though, impossible to hit in VR.