Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I used these:

https://www.amazon.com/Retractable-Management-Headset-MDW-Adhesive/dp/B01M6EB8DM/

I did need an extension, though, since I have 10'+ high ceilings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

puberty worked me over posted:

It's amazing how WMR headsets are so close to being acceptable. I'd keep one around for the increased resolution and playing games seated if...

1.) They were actually comfortable to wear and strapped to one's head properly.
2.) You didn't have to use that stupid WMR interface BS and could just launch poo poo straight from SteamVR.

From Windows 10 1809 and up you can launch SteamVR directly from the WMR environment, it improves it a lot.

I've had all 3, but I prefer WMR the most, honestly.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Skyarb posted:

God drat do I want those knuckles controllers!

They're neat, but I will say it's a bit of a PITA to manually remap for standard wand games. Hopefully they'll have lots of presets when they officially release.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Beast Pussy posted:

I'm sure this gets asked a lot, but what is the current preference for rift vs vive? And will either be on sale anytime soon?

As someone who's had all three, you could also consider Windows Mixed Reality headsets, they work with SteamVR, and are way easier to set up since it's inside-out tracking. They're frequently on sale for ~$150 and you get like 80-90% of the experience for less than half the price.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Just get the Acer WMR when it's on sale for $140. It's Good Enough if you're just waiting for the next gen stuff.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

I pretty much only use my WMR headset these days 100% due to its ease of use. It really makes up for a hell of a lot. :shrug:

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

It's common for people to decorate their houses, yes.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Someone on reddit posted about Valve having some patent for doubled up fresenel lenses and called it indexed refraction. If they put some crazy poo poo in this headset when Oculus is just "here's this poo poo, it's good enough" it might be over. Someone compared this to Sony saying "$299" and walking away and it might be apt if Valve pulls it off.

That is, unless Valve says "$899" :v:

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

I've also heard that putting a bit of foam in your battery compartment so the batteries don't shake around as much helps.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

First you have to pay 80 dollars for a google cardboard for the Switch. The screen is 720p, so the resolution will be garbage. The Switch already chugs a bunch just running BotW normally. And you have to hold the thing up to your face. It will be cool for a few minutes and then you'll throw it away.

They have starter kits for $40 :ssh:

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

There have been larger sales of WMR in the past, so who knows if this means anything. My cousin got an Acer one for $150 new back in December.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

They're just "okay", but they're not terrible.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Wamdoodle posted:

Those with WMR headsets, do you feel that their integration into SteamVR is a little haphazard? That's partly the reason I ended up not sticking with the Acer, maybe it's just me.

The latest version of the WMR software lets you launch SteamVR titles directly from the Mixed Reality portal, which helps it feel much more seamless.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

s.i.r.e. posted:

What tax did they dodge with this?

Apparently you got huge savings on taxes if you sold a user-programmable computer instead of a games console. Looks like they ended the tax break early in the PS3's life.

(Though I hear the reason they actually killed it was because it was a huge security hole)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Someone who works at an arcade in japan needs to make it their life’s goal to rip this game for the greater VR good

https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/cso7g3/mario_kart_vr_looks_awesome/

Don't need to go to Japan, there's an arcade in California that has it:
https://www.engadget.com/2019/06/17/mario-kart-vr-comes-to-southern-california/