Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Reposting this from the previous thread as I didn't find an answer, if anyone knows, yet:

Me posted:

Is Cubicle supposed to end after
You see the flying folder in the sky and come back to a somewhat trashed desk? Folders are on the floor and either by design or by glitch switch between red and black intermittenly. It seems like a narrative end, but is there something I'm missing or does it close by itself once you get to the end? I had to close it manually.

Also I see this thread is off to a great start already!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_0o5Eqtu-0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Fano posted:

Does anybody own both the Vive and a Gear VR? I'm trying to draw a comparison with regards to resolution.

Lemming posted:

The resolution of the GearVR is actually higher than that of the Vive/Rift. Its screen is 2560×1440, or 1280x1440 per eye, while for the Vive/Rift it's 1080x1200 per eye. Chromatic aberration and stuff is worse, the sweet spot is relatively small, and you have fewer options for adjustment, but the resolution itself is better.

All that said, I think the Vive is still better than the Gear for doing screen stuff because the optics are better, but in turn the Rift beats the Vive out for that use simply because the sweet spot is much larger, which is a bigger consideration for games that aren't geared towards VR.
One thing that makes me far more prefer the Gear in terms of optics is that sweet sweet lens adjustment. I'm not talking about IPD, but the actual focus. It's a goddamn lifesaver for subhumans like me without 20/20 vision as you can see crystal clear without the hassle of fitting over glasses or using lenses. It's the perfect Netflix machine when you're in bed and don't want to deal with corrective lens poo poo.

e: Of course that includes the Rift in comparison, as it also lacks that focus slider

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Lemming posted:

Playing Overwatch in BigScreen is pretty fun. It's cool to have such a giant screen, relatively. I dunno if I'd want to play CS or something on it, but Overwatch is fun. Having the audio and mic integrated into the Rift is also super convenient
how is the fps? I tried Overwatch during the beta in Bigscreen and it was too laggy too really work

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Alright, sounds about the same performance I got then. It was somewhat manageable when downscaling it heavily (in a subjective sense, it's still playable but hardly 1080), and sadly Bigscreen runs a lot more overhead compared to Virtual Desktop where every game I've tried has been fully playable.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPMwAo6J_ug I am cracking the gently caress up at this Pirate Guy in this video. Great example of how social vr can be, even with only one guy talking

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

guys, holy poo poo, get Battle Dome!
I know, I knoooow it looks so lovely. It took me a week of considering. Been having so much fun, it really shows the fun of a solid gameplay. "Jumping" down from above a ledge and slice people with an energysword, or a shotgun blast is loving great.
Especially since you can 'wave' to them in their death cam.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Also, wow, I need some tips to clean foam. I've been fairly good at managing sweat, but Battle Dome made it look like I was running a marathon

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Nosthula posted:

Where did you get vr covers. I have a big group over every week and id love to get a cover for Friday Vive Sweat fest.
https://vrcover.com/
Specifically check out the water-proof ones for large events or extra-sweaty moments

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Icedude posted:

While I'm sitting here waiting for the courier to come pick up one of my Vive controllers, have you guys got any suggestions for games that only need one controller?
Space Pirate Trainer if you want to work on your squats

e: Speaking of, I really got a second wind in that game with the laser-sight pistols there. Could never get those OP-railguns to click for me, but with that laser I can pop them from my hip, High Noon style.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Poetic Justice posted:

So I wonder what the deal is with why some people are more susceptible than others.
In my highly anecdotal research I believe VR sickness is to some extent psychosomatic. I used to be pretty fine with most kinds of motion sickness, however during a severe storm that lasted all night and most of a day out at sea while in the Navy I got so sick I just wanted to kill myself (Force 12 storm, it sank a cargo ship and put an oil rig adrift).

Since then I've had a hard time traveling in any method where I can't see the horizon. Like a subway, or in a car doing something other than looking at the road or VR experiences where the camera or world moves a lot.

I think most of it is in my head since I've been fine before and my otherwise sense of balance isn't changed. So my thinking is that there's some sort of self-preservation at play. If you've either consciously or subconsciously remember a really bad motion sickness experience, you'll more easily go into "early warning mode". The body remembers that last time and tries to get you out of that situation.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Onward is so much fun you guys. By far my favorite game currently, including 2D games.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

bringer posted:

It has convinced me that controller locomotion and roomscale can be very happy together. The first time you move your play space up to a corner and then carefully peak around that corner in roomscale is downright magical.
It's interesting though, it works like a dream in multiplay, but I get real queasy when I try singleplayer in the shooting range. Seems like activating the parts in your brain for social interaction or w/e it is about multiplayer is a great cure for locomotion sickness. At least the one in Onward.
I wonder how Windlands would be if you also had a gun and it was a hectic swinging FPS gun battle.

bringer posted:

I'm currently considering making a pvc pipe rifle I'm having so much fun.
This is no joke. First time seeing those pipes I scoffed, now (and especially after seeing and talking to people who have it and do really well) it's a little tempting. Being able to use the grip for reduced recoil without wobbling all over the place would be nice.

But for now I'm getting really good results with just leaning my hand over the other controller and steadying it, works wonders. Though it doesn't let you hold the grip, so the recoil is at max.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

AndrewP posted:

I think the problem is there's just not really enough to talk about until PSVR and Touch drop
I feel like I could talk about Onward all day long but that would take away precious time from actually playing the game. It's fantastic, despite still being fairly barebones. For me personally it's the killer app of VR, let alone VR games.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Speaking of jumping in and playing blind, I highly suggest people watch the Onward tutorial before playing. It's one of the more complex multiplayer shooters and since it's 4v4 it really affects the team strength when one doesn't even know how to reload. Not to mention more complex stuff like knowing how to check if your team is alive or dead, or if they can be revived (which by the way, is when there's a read dot on the map, go save that guy)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWtAwGeA_ds

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

If you had a bowl of HMDS and 3 were Rifts would you grab a handful of VR? think about THAT liberals

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

I've been avoiding the Dolphin VR (Nintendo Gamecube VR emulator) since I found out the dev was a racist since way before this election got started back in DK2 days.

Thought that was widely known, but in case anyone wants to add more devs to their big whiteboard of Politically Active ones, check his recent comments, he's going full on Praise Palmer https://www.reddit.com/user/2EyeGuy

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

fenrif posted:

Speaking as someone from the UK who doesn't really care about the US election because both candidates are morally degenerate reprobates: Could we go back to the topic of VR?

I just got a VIVE yesterday. Set it up and had a go of the lab. Now I need more games. I've got nearly everything that's free downloading as we speak, so take them as a given.

What are some must-plays? I'll drop cash on antyhing as long as its not £40 for a 30 min "experience."
If you like mil-sim games like Arma OnwardVR is a must-have. I'm having so much fun, absolute killer app for all of VR. I already have 24 hours.

I would probably wage you'd love it even if you don't like Arma style gaming, just as an fps the added level of reload and communication is amazing.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Speaking of, I'd like to start an Onward Goon game today, in an hour. (21:00 UK time) Join the Vive Goons discord to join in.
I should be able to make that

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

FuzzySlippers posted:

Someone mentioned tools that convert games to VR, is that like actual head tracking real VR conversion? That seems like puke city.

I was thinking that anything that supports stereoscopic 3D could potentially be in VR on a giant 3D screen right? Anything do that? That might be kinda cool.
Yeah, for the most part they can be pretty nauseating unless you have a high tolerance and a beastly computer to run it at 90 fps.

I'm not 100% sure on stereoscopic games, but you can for sure play regular 2d games on Virtual Desktop or Big ScreenVR and get a home theater/imaxed sized screen to play around on! (Though be wary that a 2d game that completely fills your screen could make you motion sick). A smaller screen with some stuff going on behind it (like a fake room) will feel way bigger then an imax screen in an empty void.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Thirding that Vox Machinae is going to be the bees knees for Mech fans, if their demo is any indication. And the demo was awesome.

Cojawfee posted:

There's Vox Machinae but the last post on the website was in February. The demo on the DK2 was pretty cool.

http://www.voxmachinae.com/index.shtml
They're very active on twitter and to a lesser extent Facebook. It's slowly coming together.
https://twitter.com/SpaceBulletCorp/status/770690793048637440
Acid rain :black101:
As you can see, they neatly solve the weight/bounce issue imo. The seat is on a gyroscopic balancer which I buy both lore-wise and experience-wise. The bouncing outside the seat gives it real weight, and I remember in the demo it freaking me out when doing a high jet jump as the realization sets in that you're in a Mech that weighs hundreds of tons and you're crashing down to earth.

https://twitter.com/SpaceBulletCorp
https://www.facebook.com/VoxMachinaeGame

Cojawfee posted:

I would think that anyone who can do a flight or driving sim should be ok with that. If anything, it would probably have to be an optional setting to appease people who get VR sick.

In other news, I keep seeing people talk about Alien Isolation. Everyone keeps saying it might happen but I'm not holding my breath. The game is a couple years old by now. If they made any VR game, it would probably be something new. In order to make it economically viable, they'd probably have to make a completely separate VR version of the game instead of patching it into the old game. That would most likely just piss everyone off. Unless they think they could get enough new purchases to justify it. Even making paid DLC could work.
Yeah paid DLC would probably be best, and seems to become the norm for VR Redux games. The Vanishing of Ethan Carter did a paid DLC for their VR version. Gets new players to buy the full package and existing players can opt in for VR at a reduced cost compared to a full game.
As a full VR launch however they'd probably want to do quite a lot of work to make it acceptable. The 'demo' after all required a bit of hacking on the users side and was in no way recommended or 'meant' to be played for the public.

There's a few cutscenes where the camera is forcibly moved, small stuff like when you're moved into a cupboard and larger scenes like when the alien drops in for the first time. They'd probably have to have quite a lot of discussion and work on locomotion. While sliding works for some, it's a no-go for others and workarounds like teleportation could throw the balance of the gameplay out the window. Not to mention the ton of little bugs that were okay in a demo but unplayable if I had to pay for it. I still have PTSD flashbacks from that bug that made the angle of the world tilt :barf:

Zsinjeh fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Sep 26, 2016

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

El Grillo posted:

I'm kind of thinking of getting Vanishing of Ethan Carter seeing as I never played it. I know it's supposed to be somewhat flawed but I like my adventure/story-driven games. Is this a terrible idea?
I bought it...but honestly haven't played more than 5-10 minutes. Took me a while to get used to the locomotion and I've since played other games that hooked me more and I haven't had the time to get back around to Ethan.

If you can handle the normal type of locomotion without getting motion sick it might be pretty decent for that adventure-itch, but look around on more in-depth reviews. I tried way too little to know, only compared it to Alien: Iso for the DLC approach.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

d0s posted:

I really want a japanese fast robot game in vr like a first person phantom crash or something, idk if that would make people sick or something tho
There's RIGS which seems pretty fast, although it's centered around a sort of E-sports competitive setting so it probably won't scratch that Mech itch you're looking for.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aasjC-ph0Uw
http://2p.com/42780750_1/PSVR-Mech-Shooter-RIGS-Could-Be-the-Early-Form-of-Future-VR-E-Sport-by-Fury116.htm

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Have you guys not met sim people? I find quite a lot of the more vocal ones dislike or outright hate VR. I suppose it's because they think they can't use their fancy built plywood setups, but honestly I don't know why

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Looks like Vive is launching their own store to compete with Steam and Oculus Home?

http://www.androidheadlines.com/2016/09/htc-viveport-vr-app-store-live-regions.html
https://techcrunch.com/2016/09/30/htc-launches-its-viveport-vr-store-globally/
https://www.viveport.com/

Looks like timed store exclusives as well
https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/5550zq/htc_also_introduced_viveport_premieres_a_program/

With SteamVR this wasn't any real doubt, but to confirm, it's not hardware exclusive
http://uploadvr.com/viveport-launches-us-htc-execs-weigh-exclusivity-rumors/

Zsinjeh fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Sep 30, 2016

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Batteries, like most things about VR for me can be sorted in a 'Before Onward' thinking and an 'After Onward'.

Before getting onward I didn't think it was such a big deal, playing an hour or two didn't really drain it that much and I'd hook them up for the next session the following day. And now after onward it's frequently the one thing that makes me have to stop playing as I eventually lose tracking on them from battery loss. If I could just swap out batteries it would make my virtual life a whole lot easier.

Once you get that one killer app that makes you play for literally hours on end, a lot of stuff with the current VR gen starts to annoy you a bit. Cable spinning, lens fog, breathability, HMD adjustments to keep the sweet spot, said issue with batteries etc.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

maybe he has Parkinson's? insensitive dude

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

This is hilarious and crazy well done.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

There's also this cool gfy of ATW with zero frames per second.
https://gfycat.com/AgileThatGraysquirrel

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Hadlock posted:

I'm still waiting for a quality smart phone with a quality keyboard that's not a blackberry. If one were available that was halo phone quality I'd sell this one and buy that tomorrow.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

haha wow that's crazy, do you dare me to touch virtual boobies lol do u dare me

ok hahaha i'll try it as a joke if you want this will be hilarious haha

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

I'm always amazed what little things brings me presence. A very large character in Accounting VR (no spoilers) really made me jump the first time he piped up.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Black Mirror season 3 drops today on Netflix, and I feel like the only proper way to watch this will be in VR in a dark room with a protein shake-slurry through a sippy straw as the movie snack.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

NRVNQSR posted:

Yeah, all three major headsets do.

The GearVR doesn't, though, which kind of sucks.
Gear has the totally awesome lens adjustments though. Don't need to put on lenses or adjust for glasses, just pop it in and adjust lens, boom

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

holy poo poo, TRIBES in vr. I need this now https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur-wB8Tgc2o

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

AndrewP posted:

looks like a one way trip to vomit town
Supposedly he has had good feedback from testers who are sensitive, and he also the dev who made Sword Master VR, so it's not his first game.

But still, yeah, looks very intense.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Bremen posted:

Holopoint is pretty much the king of exercise games, though it doesn't really do music (there is music in game, but it's just the in-game stuff)
Holopoint is too intense for me :smith: I wish it was more like Space Pirate Trainer where it was more centered in an 180 degree arc in front of you. The full 360 of Holopoint always ends up with me unknowingly spinning in one direction too much and I eventually rip the cable out of the box

GlyphGryph posted:

What;s the best VR game for working up a sweat, preferable to a beat? Is it still audioshield, or is there something better?
I've heard good things about Soundboxing, it's based on players entering the beat to a youtube video, so it's guaranteed (more or less) to be more like dancing to the real beats instead of the computer guessing the beats from the raw audio
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyjS5joZpGQ

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Onward just dropped a large update, among other things putting more stress on having to use both hands to aim effectively (I really need to get around building a noobtube, it's crazy effective for those that use one), and going to add support for people to submit maps, also riot shields :metal101:

But most importantly....they added the AK5c !!! :aaaaa:

http://store.steampowered.com/news/?appids=496240

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

What is human scale, does it just mean that your head tracks barely at all?
You don't really zoom out in Google Earth, you grow in size instead. If you were to be at a couple of thousand feet up as a normal size human you loose most sense of stereoscopy (much like looking out from a plane mountains and buildings don't have that much scale. When you are a giant instead, mountains have much more visible size but the effect is that it looks like toys or that you are Godzilla. That's super awesome and everything, but he specifically wants to recreate the feeling of being a pilot in a plane which it won't do.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Lemming posted:

Use the Cardboard Camera app to take pictures of places you visit on trips and stuff, then you can see them in the Oculus Photos app. It works surprisingly well
Seconding the cardboard camera app. Even if you don't have a 360/vr device, it's a really cool memento to have saved for when you do. Brings back so much more memories and feeling to a trip or vacation if you can be transported back there for a little while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Originally I would have said VR has a bit of a fad quality to it. But after Onward I realized it was just because I hadn't found a game that had hooked me enough to warrant me getting off my lazy rear end to A) play and B) Prepare my room for VR.

VR is a whole other thing when in multiplayer, the emergent gameplay you can make up on the fly is hilarious. Or just be an idiot loving around with friends