Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
Boy, I'm really thinking about getting a Quest. I want to try it out first... but I'm getting the must-buy-jitters.

I wonder when Best Buy will have demoing setup?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I'll just demo it at BB and see what I think of it.

Is there much of a free to play gaming market in VR space? I'm a cheapskate.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Tip posted:

These will be free on Quest (not all games):

VRChat

Bogo

Bigscreen Beta

Rec Room

PokerStars VR

First Contact

Epic Roller Coasters

Bait!

YouTube VR

Oculus Gallery

Oculus TV

Oculus Video

Oculus Browser

SKYBOX

Sling TV

You can probably get a lot of playtime out of Rec Room.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I've gotten tons of hours out of Rec Room and PokerStars VR. Both are free and are great social experiences. Rec Room is pretty evergreen as well, its basically Super Mario Maker in VR

Cool. I feel better about the idea now. Thanks guys.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
Oculus Quest owners

Are you having any buyer's remorse at this point?

Are there some decent free gaming options right now?

I haven't had a chance to demo one, the Best Buy stores are all 2 hours away.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I finally have made up my mind to get the Quest.

There's Microcenter 2 hours away with a single 64gb unit on the shelf. I just reserved it.

I will unreserve it for $1000. Please msg me with your payment details. Don't judge me.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I picked up my Quest today.

I'm hoping, as a side benefit, to burn calories. Is beat saber the best sort of game for that? Any other games that require lots of hand waving and constant movement?

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I just had my first experience with the Quest for a bit over an hour. (Keep in mind, my only VR experience is using a cheapo smartphone VR viewer and a 15 min demo with the original Oculus Rift).

Pros:

-Nice interface.
-The interactive introduction is great, very intuitive.
-Controllers are pretty nice and responsive. Feels great in the hand.
-Headset fits pretty well on my head, the front heaviness didn't bother me at all.
-Boundary system is so cool.

Cons:

-I got a teeny bit queasy. I took a ginger extract pill to help with the motion sickness, sorta helped.
-Screen is pretty pix elated. Games with darker backgrounds looked better (Beat Saber, Space Pirate game), but it's lower res than I would like.
-Image is a bit washed out (that's probably the case for most VR headsets).
-Needs more demos.
-Still feeling queasy, but I'm not gonna puke... don't think about puke.. don't think about puke.
-The tennis demo is stupid and I hate it. It cheats. It made me seem like my controllers were sucky and not tracking right at times.
-I thought I wouldn't need corrective lenses since I'm nearsighted, but the focal point for the headset is beyond what I can see clearly without my glasses. I ended up popping in my contacts.

I'm going to give the Quest 15-30 days. If I'm not into it after that, I'll flip it on eBay or something.

It's cool, it's just not as fun as normal PC gaming for me at this point. I'll try some other games and interactive things to make sure I give it a fair chance.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

angry_keebler posted:

Content is pretty thin for quest right now, but my recommendation for anybody who gets motion/simulator sick would be the free ISS software. Just hop into the explore mode and alternate between physics based locomotion by dragging yourself around with your hands, and then try the free motion with the left stick. Just scoot around for a few minutes and stop, then pick it up again in an hour and do a few more minutes. The transition back and forth is a pretty gentle way of training your vestibular system.

Another alternative to consider if the fairly paltry software selection is a problem is the entire catalog of steamvr and rift software, which more or less all work wirelessly with alvr, if you have a computer than can run them and a decent router.

I'm gonna try that out tonight. Thanks for the recommendation.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I haven't purchased a game for the Quest yet, but I did try out moonrider.xyz and that was pretty impressive when compared with the beat saber demo. I got my heart pumping and I pleased my frugal fanny mentality.

I'm just playing 20-30 minutes at a time. Trying to get myself to a point where there's no motion sickness.

I thought I'd be more blown away by the quest, but I'm having to warm up to it. Partly due to the nausea thing, and partly the image clarity not being as crisp as I thought it would.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

KillHour posted:

My girlfriend has this same mentality.

I may end up flipping this if it gets boring in 30 days and/or I keep getting nauseated. I don't wanna throw money at it just yet (or ever to be honest, because frugal).

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
Amazon Is Bringing Prime Video to Oculus VR Headsets

It's out today apparently.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

Downloaded a free rollercoaster app and holy poo poo was that a mistake. Body got extremely nauseous fast and I just couldn’t handle it. Gonna stick with Beatsaber and other stationary games...

I downloaded it too, but hadn't tried it yet... gonna just delete it before I'm tempted to try it. Thank you. LOL

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
Well I had my quest sitting on the kitchen counter gathering dust for the past week or more... and finally loaded up and tried one of the laser gun quests in Rec Room (shooting mean robots with 3 other players). Man that was crazy fun. That's the funnest thing I've done on this thing.

3 preteens telling me how to play and pick up my weapons... it's like I'm in a Spielberg movie, but I'm not 12 years old anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TLV3G_dVXU

moolchaba fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Aug 11, 2019

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
oops... meant to edit.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I've been playing the demo of Creed like 10 times in a row each night to work up a crazy sweat. Again, not buying any games until I'm sure I'm going to stick with the Quest or flip it.

Are there any good sideload Quest games for "exercise" that are boxing related? I haven't tried sideloading yet, but since my motion sickness is reducing, I may try it soon.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I just installed sidequest. Is there an APK for Pavlov?

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Thank you.

The games look cool so far.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I tried that QuakeQuest sideload game for about 15 min. Then I got an overwhelming queasy sensation and had to set the quest down for the night.

It was pretty fun while it lasted, but the movement is a tad weird (wherever your facing determines what direction you travel) and motion sickness inducing.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

SPACE HOMOS posted:

You do realize each eye has its own measurement right? 61 divided by 2 is 30.5. Some people are uneven in each eye, for example 63mm but one eye is 31 and the other eye is 32.

You do realize this is an OPHTHALMOLOGY thread for goons who are frogmen.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Origami Dali posted:

I think I'm gonna have to sell my Quest for a few reasons.

I hardly play mine. I did a few nights in a row after finally getting over the nausea (mostly), but the excitement factor has died down.

I think VR has a few more iterations of innovation to go through before it's something I really want to get into.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Lemming posted:

Did you ever end up buying any games for it? Vader Immortal has some of the best melee mechanics and it's only $10, the main story is pretty short but the Lightsaber Dojo is a lot of fun and lasted me a good while

No.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Stick100 posted:

The Quest is best thought as a Beat Saber machine.

I'm one of the few in this thread with zero interest in that game.

I'll hold on until the Christmas season to see if any new games pique my interest.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Stick100 posted:

Have you played it?

Played the demo a few times. I've seen the full game on streams.

I may be a minority but I'm sure there's others here that feel the same way.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

I've tried out your home run game a few times. It's fun.

I get this issue quite often where it will bug out after about 5 minutes of use. The screen glitches and then I only see a flat screen of the frozen game in front of me with black everywhere else (like the 3d has glitched out). I can't do anything, but usually the music keeps playing. I have to reset my headset, because the music keeps playing even if I cancel out of the game.

Is that a common issue or do I have a buggy headset?

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Stick100 posted:

I don't know I haven't seen it and this is the first time I've heard of it.

Maybe I just need to factory reset my quest and start from scratch. I'll try that.

Tonight I played the Sports Scramble demo 10 times in a row. If the game was $19 or lower I'd snap it up, but $29... sheesh.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Stick100 posted:

I don't know I haven't seen it and this is the first time I've heard of it.

I factory reset my headset, and re-sideloaded the game. The first time I played it, it froze up at the very end. The music keeps playing even after getting out of the game when it glitches. Weird.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I've been playing my Quest almost every night this week. Just running demos and stuff from sidequest.

That Ninja Legends Demo is pretty fun. I replayed that 10 times and got a crazy sweat going. I may have to buy that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Stick100 posted:

Thanks for letting me know I haven't played in a while so maybe something broke with the firmware I'll have to recheck. Would certainly make sense why I keep seeing people playing short sessions on Quest.

It seems to happen with certain modes only right now. I could do he homerun derby over and over, but 3 inning seems to trigger it after a couple min. The gun thing freezes up right away.

Let me know if you get it updated. It's fun.