Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hierophant
Oct 21, 2007
Carmack is full steam ahead on mobile VR, which is a bit mystifying to be honest because mobile VR is always going to be a second-rate experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hierophant
Oct 21, 2007
Google Glass style mobile augmented reality will probably eventually happen, but I don't think "mobile" VR where you slide your phone into a glorified viewmaster has much of a future. The lower end of the VR market will get taken over by console VR, whether that's by gaming consoles like the PSVR or by cheap Apple-tv style VR consoles.

Hierophant
Oct 21, 2007

Knifegrab posted:

Hey Oculus released their source code for their unreal forward renderer: https://developer.oculus.com/blog/introducing-the-oculus-unreal-renderer/

This is actually a really cool thing because it could potentially help improve performance in many VR applications and on any VR headset!

I mean, "use forward rendering with simple lighting" is hardly something that you would need source code for. It's a reasonable suggestion, but those tradeoffs between forward and deferred lighting/shading are well known.

Hierophant
Oct 21, 2007
Valve claimed about a year ago that they would open up the lighthouse system, but it hasn't happened yet. A pen will be tricky just because it doesn't have any convenient non-co-linear places to put the lighthouse detectors or constellation emitters. The minimum number of detected points is four*, but that will give a very noisy pose estimate, and I've heard that the Vive's driver/firmware requires at least five. This means the pen will need to have some kind of weird offshoots to avoid putting the points in a straight line.

* Four detected points lets you get an unambiguous solution to the PnP problem. OK, so theoretically you could solve for a pose with only three points, and get four possible solutions, and then use the IMU+last pose to choose one.

Hierophant
Oct 21, 2007
Vorpx uses the depth buffer to warp one image into a stereo pair.

Hierophant
Oct 21, 2007
Panoramic (but not stereo) imagery feels very weird in VR-- you can tell something is off, but it's not obvious that missing stereo is the problem unless you've had experience diagnosing stereo issues.

Edit: Don't do mono. People will feel that something is wrong even if they can't articulate what.

Hierophant fucked around with this message at 08:35 on May 27, 2016

Hierophant
Oct 21, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

If Oculus keeps this exclusive thing, I honestly don't know if anyone is willing to buy an HTC gen 2 headset if the Oculus Gen2 is just as good but will have more games by virtue of also being able to access the Oculus store.

Facebook can't keep buying exclusives forever when the total HMD market is only 100k-ish. Plus I don't think exclusives really factor that much into purchasing decisions unless they're really important exclusives like Halo or Bloodborne. Nobody is buying an Oculus just to play Chronos. Plus Vive seems to be winning the publicity war: do a YouTube search for videos within the last week or month on both Oculus and Vive and compare the view counts, or do a google trends search and compare their trajectories. The steam hardware survey reports three times as many users with Vives as Oculus CV1s, and even if you include the DK2s there are still twice as many Vives as CV1s + DK2s. That's twice as many Knifegrabs as the Oculus equivalent of Knifegrabs, and they aren't going to easily switch sides.

Hierophant
Oct 21, 2007

ShadowMoo posted:

(VR dicks everywhere)

Dick tracking is an open problem, get on it startups.

Hierophant
Oct 21, 2007
Silly question, but have you checked the "enable unknown sources" option in the Rift settings?

Hierophant
Oct 21, 2007
Their documentation wiki is really bad though; you're better off just looking at the api header:

https://github.com/ValveSoftware/openvr/blob/master/headers/openvr.h

Hierophant
Oct 21, 2007

wolrah posted:

Over head height. The recommendation is to have them close to the ceiling.

If you put them at head height or lower, then you should use the sync cable to avoid tracking getting weird when you get between them.

Hierophant
Oct 21, 2007

Poetic Justice posted:

The devs are doing something with decreasing the FOV that apparently helps with it.

You don't (well, maybe shouldn't is the better word) have any control over FOV in VR. The FOV you have to render at is completely dictated by the optics and geometry of the HMD, trying to adjust it for artistic/design reasons will cause serious comfort problems to the point of being unviewable.

Edit: Also, the Razer Hydra only cost ~$175 when new, it's only because they don't make them anymore and there's a limited supply that the price has shot up to such ridiculous levels.

Hierophant
Oct 21, 2007

Poetic Justice posted:

Adrift actually does something similar. If I'm remembering what I read about Eagle Flight correctly, the outer part of view goes dark/black. Apparently it helps? I dunno. With Adrift you press a button and you can only see like a dime/quarter size circle in front of you and everything else blacks out. So it's not changing the FOV, just masking some of it.

Oh, yeah, I suppose you can mask out part of the user's field of view, but that seems like kind of a waste to me.

Bremen posted:

In other news, Razer announced their OSVR headset. Specs are similar to the Rift, though I wouldn't be surprised if the Rift still has a bit better comfort/optics. The important part is the price, $399. Assuming no issues, that and the new RX 480 should bring the ceiling for a VR capable system down to about $1100 or so, though that's without motion controls so you'd mainly be limited to Oculus games played through Revive.

It'll be interesting to see what happens after Valve opens up the lighthouse tracking to third parties, since that will make the hardest part of VR hardware (roomscale 6dof tracking) available to anybody.

Hierophant
Oct 21, 2007

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

Price-wise, I'm expecting $300.

I would also be inclined to guess $300, but based on the fact that I guessed the Oculus would cost $450 and it ended up costing $600, I'm going to revise my guess for touch to be $350. Keep in mind that on the leaked accessory page for the Vive, the wands and base stations were listed at about $110, meaning that two wands and a base station would cost about $330.

Hierophant
Oct 21, 2007
In Pulsar: Lost Colony, which is basically this idea except without a Star Trek license or VR, the captain can set the alert level and... that's about it. In practice this means in a battle the captain repeatedly teleports on board the enemy ship to cause chaos while the actually useful crewmembers are busy steering and operating weapons.

Hierophant
Oct 21, 2007
The drama is amusing, but Oculus has serious long term problems and they know it, which is why they're resorting to such desperate measures. Other than the 6dof tracking, the technology to build an HMD is so painfully simple that people were doing it with magnifying glass lenses and LCD panels bought off ebay. OSVR has already introduced an HMD at parity with the Rift for $400, a full $200 cheaper, and as the market grows it will become more and more attractive for other manufacturers to release their own products that compete on price. Remember when Oculus said the $600 Rift was as cheap as they could make it, that they were selling it effectively at cost? I don't think that's a lie, manufacturing and logistics have always been a weak spot for Oculus. If they do not do something, they are going to lose the market to manufacturers who can deliver substantially the same product for cheaper.

Hierophant
Oct 21, 2007
Given Oculus's supply issues, they're just making sure that Vive and Touch users get the game at the same time.

Hierophant
Oct 21, 2007
If you're in the seated position (not sure how it determines it, maybe where you were during room setup and it asked you to point at the monitor, or where you are when you press F12 in E:D to recenter) then the chaperone bounds won't appear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hierophant
Oct 21, 2007
For photogrammetry there's also Autodesk's 123d catch and Remake, although I've found that both are tuned towards capturing a central object that the camera orbits around rather than an entire scene that surrounds the camera. Having a stereo pair doesn't help much because most of these software packages will treat it as just being twice as many photos.