Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Everyone should buy or pirate Chronos, the game itself is pretty good, but the art and atmosphere is really fantastic. Everyone should experience at least the first 10 minutes at least, up until you fight the first enemy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

Eye tracking isn't really necessary given how lovely the current crop of HMDs get towards the edges of the images.

The Rift has a pretty big area where things are still sharp. They're still blurry at the very edges, but I think foveated rendering would help out a lot there, and I'm assuming the optics are only going to get better from here on out.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

SteamVR is pretty buggy so you might need to try a bunch of things. First off is a restart. A few weeks ago, SteamVR would sometimes refuse to recognize I had the vive HDMI plugged in until I restarted. Next is bypass the link box and plug the HDMI directly into your video card. If none of that works, see if you can get it to work on someone else's machine. Last resort, see if you can use a different HDMI cable to plug into the Vive headset. Where top strap is attached, you can slide that bit of plastic forward until it comes off and unplug the HDMI cable and see if you can get a different one in there.

If you didn't do the last part and make sure it's connected firmly to the headset itself do that. I thought mine was hosed at first but it turned out it just arrived with the HDMI cable not firmly attached.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Good job forums, thanks for the double post.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
The resolution is good enough on the headsets now that I think playing regular games in Bigscreen/Virtual Desktop is pretty reasonable. I've been playing Diablo 3 and Overwatch and it's been pretty fun. Because my desktop is currently setup in my living room it's sort of my only option, but I'll probably keep doing it once I move everything back to my bedroom.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Yeah, to use it as a monitor you have to make screen real estate sacrifices by making all the text larger and stuff, but for games that aren't text heavy I think it's pretty fine. The novelty of sitting here instead of at my desk as well as having the screen appear bigger is worth the tradeoff for me.

I wouldn't want to do actual work using it though.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Knifegrab posted:

Is that the new alternative to virtual desktop? Do you think its better than VD?

Yeah when I first got my vive I blew up my browser zoom to like 175% and convinced myself I would do it forever. But things fade and its just not practical.

I like it better than Venereal Disease because I like having it be a more physical location than hovering in space. I also like the settings for moving the screen around better, VD doesn't give you as many options for positioning. That might change with workshop stuff, but so far it's mostly 360 spheres. It also gives you the option to be in the same room as other people, which works pretty well and is pretty cool.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

theBeaz posted:

Great thread with no console-warrioring so far - yay!

So I tried using Big Screen to play a game... specifically XCOM2... and the game started lagging like crazy. I guess VR is already using the CPU/GPU up enough that a CPU/GPU intensive game (looking at you Total War:WARHAMMER) might be a no go...

...but still when I get home I NEED to play TW:Warhammer on simulated 100' screen. Please work please work.

Yeah, you gotta turn settings and stuff down, and BigScreen runs noticably worse than VD. But you can turn the resolution down to like 720 without losing anything so that helps a lot.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Rectus posted:

VD lets you put the screen anywhere at any angle if you set it to floating. Setting it to the ceiling while lying down on the couch to watch a movie is amazing. I bound a key to reset the position to my universal remote, but I really wish they would add Vive controller support.

Yeah, but Bigscreen lets you change the angle as well as the amount of curvature. You can sort of cheat that out with VD but it's definitely more of a hassle.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Asserting that they wrote that specifically to stop Revive sounds incredibly unlikely, since they would need to have implemented it over the course of the few weeks (which seems like an incredibly fast turnaround for a panic reaction), knowing it would be possible to break it very quickly. I'm sure they weren't sad that it broke Revive, but I highly doubt they did it specifically for that.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

I think he just wants the challenge of making mobile VR be good. He's been working on an inside-out positional tracking system using the phone camera.

His perspective is that mobile VR is how VR is going to reach the most people, so he wants to work on the hard problems in that area that are holding it back, the biggest one being inside-out tracking.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
It's not about using it outside your house, it's about having a self-contained device that can do everything. People aren't going to buy Rifts or Vives and hook them up to their 1000 dollar computers, but if they could just slide their phone into a device that costs 100-200 and does everything, just not as powerfully, that's a way to get a lot more people using VR. It'd be like GearVR on steroids if they could get inside out tracking working well.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Nalin posted:

I have faith that John Carmack is going to make inside-out tracking work perfectly and turn the GearVR into an awesome device.

I don't have faith in Samsung learning how to make a mobile device that doesn't overheat in 10 minutes and become a frame skipping vomit machine.

It'll have to be new hardware unfortunately, from what I've gleaned it requires at least two cameras so far.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Fano posted:

Does anybody own both the Vive and a Gear VR? I'm trying to draw a comparison with regards to resolution.

I tried playing my steam games through Stream Theater on my gear VR and it actually worked quite well (this is the one that puts you in a room with a giant screen for your game).

The only issue is that I was having trouble reading the text and tooltips in the game in the game I was playing, I was trying out Dota 2, but it was severe enough that it would probably affect other games as well.

I'm not sure if this was a side effect of stream theater streaming a lower resolution image to my device or if it was just a factor of the gear VR's resolution being poor and/or lower than something like a Vive/Rift (expected for a first gen VR device priced at $99). I noticed similar things when watching some videos on the netflix app, though not nearly as pronounced.

I'd like to know how the experience compares specifically when playing games in theater mode (assuming that's the one where you just get a big screen with a 2D image). I was planning on picking up a Vive alongside the GTX 1080 sometime in the next year, but that's a lot of :10bux: to drop if the experience is going to be similarly blurry.

The resolution of the GearVR is actually higher than that of the Vive/Rift. Its screen is 2560×1440, or 1280x1440 per eye, while for the Vive/Rift it's 1080x1200 per eye. Chromatic aberration and stuff is worse, the sweet spot is relatively small, and you have fewer options for adjustment, but the resolution itself is better.

All that said, I think the Vive is still better than the Gear for doing screen stuff because the optics are better, but in turn the Rift beats the Vive out for that use simply because the sweet spot is much larger, which is a bigger consideration for games that aren't geared towards VR.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
http://uploadvr.com/samsung-showcases-4k-uhd-display-vr/

Samsung showing off some 5.5" 3840 x 2160 screens (most direct comparison is the note 5 is 5.7" and 2560x1440), apparently refresh rate might be a bit low

Either way, ooo weee.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I have a Note 5 and it works great and I think it's overheated one time, and I think that was caused by a specific patch that they ended up fixing. I highly recommend it if you have one. S6 I'd be iffy on due to the overheating thing, but it's seriously great for watching TV and stuff and if it's the only VR you have access to it's still pretty great.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Flashbackjack posted:

Got my rift. Love the comfort, clarity of the screen and so on, even the god rays don't bug me much.
Only thing is, I get these faint blackish bars on both side of the view, like I can slightly see the edge of each lens, or a double border somehow. No matter how much i fiddle with the headset or change the ipd it remains the same.
I don't notice it that much in War thunder and Assetto corsa, and in other games i can sort of tune it out. Right up until I see them, then it's hard to take focus away.
Has anyone else noticed it?

The FOV doesn't completely overlap, so those are the areas where one eye can see that the other can't, I believe. If you put the IPD slider all the way together it goes away a bit I think, buuuut I don't recommend doing that if it doesn't actually line up with your eyes :v: I have a narrow rat face so it doesn't bother me too much.

I lied, you have cancer. Sorry.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
If you're not sure at this point then definitely hold off. There's just not much to do yet.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Poetic Justice posted:

Like others have said, it's best to wait until at least Touch comes out to make choice. Also, I've seen a couple people say that, but the Vive actually has the brighter screen, although how important that is is debatable. Since the screens aren't competing with background lighting, your eyes adapt to whatever brightness the headsets are at pretty quickly, although some people do prefer the brighter Vive screen.

Yeah, this is part of the reason why it's pretty important to try them out yourself. Apparently the god rays on the Rift are better/worse for some people, the Vive is sharper/blurrier for some people, one or the other is more comfortable based on your head shape, and so on and so forth. These are things that you really, truly should be trying out for yourself before making a decision. For example, even if you only want to play sim games, if you wear glasses and you can't fit a Rift on your head with them on, then buying one will be a waste of time and money. But other people can fit their glasses in and it's fine! You can't know without trying yourself.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Knifegrab posted:

Even in my biased rear end head I have a hard time seeing how the Vive could ever be more comfortable than the rift.

Some people have really, really big heads, or a higher IPD

Edit: glasses fit better too

Edit2: or they sweat a lot and want to be able to clean the strap which can get totally soaked, not that I would know

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Chronos spoiler

There's a part where you get tiny and are running along a bookshelf and you fight tiny wind-up soldier enemies and it's really great.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I feel like Touch is the closet you're gonna get to what you want in the near future.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Deviant posted:

Well, I'm upgrading from an i5-2500k and a GTX 770 today to an i5-6600K and...a GTX 770. Thanks, lack of supply of 1080s.

I wonder how my rift will perform until I can get the 1080 in-hand.

Probably about the same as after. I think your performance will really improve once you put it in your computer though.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I'm trying to setup my joystick controls for Warthunder and I noticed that they have default configs for a bunch of different joysticks, so I thought it would be smooth.

It uses hat switches on the throttle for yaw/pitch/roll and the joystick for throttle. The gently caress?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Never use presets, just use the setup wizard.

I ended up doing that, but it boggles my mind that they would even bother with presets if they're going to be that severely hosed up.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Playing Overwatch in BigScreen is pretty fun. It's cool to have such a giant screen, relatively. I dunno if I'd want to play CS or something on it, but Overwatch is fun. Having the audio and mic integrated into the Rift is also super convenient

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

I've realized I have no internet access in the room I set aside to be my Vive room tomorrow. Won't be able to get it wired up until Friday at the earliest...

So, you don't need internet to do any vive stuff once everything is installed and registered right? I can totally just move the computer back and forth from room to room and do Vive stuff without any internet at the time of playing/configging, right?

I assume it'd be fine but you probably want to confirm the offline stuff works first, I know it can be squirrelly so double check before you start needing to haul the computer back and forth

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Zsinjeh posted:

how is the fps? I tried Overwatch during the beta in Bigscreen and it was too laggy too really work

It's smooth for me. I have a 970. I can't really run Chrome in the background and I have to turn the resolution down to 720p and some of the settings to medium, but if I do that it's fine. I got judder every so often in the Vive but with the Rift it's smooth.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Mordaedil posted:

That's an odd definition of "smooth" if I ever read one and it makes me consider your posts thereafter. I get that you refer to fps, but that seems like quite a bit of a sacrifice to achieve that.

There's no point in keeping the resolution higher, it doesn't really look any better if you're wearing one of the headsets, unless you make the image big enough that you have to move your head around to see everything, which I don't do. It's not much of a sacrifice to not have Chrome running, it mostly just means that I can't run Twitch or Youtube or something in the background at the same time.

Virtual Desktop ran smooth in both since it has a lower overhead and isn't doing much environment rendering, but I prefer Bigscreen.

Edit: In game FPS stays at 60 even if I put the resolution to 1920x1200 with the graphics at ultra, but I can tell whatever I'm seeing is not actually that smooth. When I turn the settings down to 720p and low it says the same amount in game but is noticeably smoother, but also looks roughly the same, because everything on a current VR headset is not going to be particularly detailed anyway.

Lemming fucked around with this message at 10:02 on May 31, 2016

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

quote:

She says that to test the feature, she discussed certain topics around the phone and then found that the site appeared to show relevant ads.

Though Professor Burns said she was not convinced that Facebook is listening in on conversations – it may have been that she was searching for the same things that she chose to discuss around the phone – but she said that it wouldn't be a surprising move from the site.

Sounds like a slam dunk to me :geno:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Knifegrab posted:

Read further into the article: "Facebook says explicitly on its help pages that it doesn’t record conversations, but that it does use the audio to identify what is happening around the phone. "

Yeah clearly we're just using audio to identify, ya know... stuff...

Yeah, the article discusses the explicit use for that feature, which is listening to stuff around you when you're about to make a post (like song identifying algorithms), which you can turn off, and is not new or news. So nothing like what you claimed it was saying, which was "Apparently Facebook is getting flak again for constantly listening to you through your phones microphone to figure out what you are interested in:" and the only evidence supplied for that was some random idiot claiming it was maybe doing that, or maybe it wasn't. Good article.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Knifegrab posted:

Lets see, you were wrong about Oculus Home forever ago, but I'm sure you're right here and Facebook would never invade user's privacy.

You're right its not confirmed but from the article "Though Professor Burns said she was not convinced that Facebook is listening in on conversations – it may have been that she was searching for the same things that she chose to discuss around the phone – but she said that it wouldn't be a surprising move from the site."

It's called extrapolating, especially when barring a court order a company won't admit to spying on you. This is not a company that values your privacy over their ability to sell your information (which has been proven time and time again)

Talking about these issues is perfectly reasonable, and I think the investigation that one guy did into what Oculus home was looking at and sending data to home servers about was interesting.

This article is worthless poo poo, though. It's pure speculative nonsense that tries to pretend it has credibility by saying "wow a professor said it! That means it must be real!" when her "experiment" was beyond useless.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
The plural of anecdote is not data. You could absolutely set up a good controlled experiment to get a better understanding of the sort of things that's actually happening, but that's not what people are doing.

I would not be surprised at all if they were using the microphone like that in some way (because that's the sort of information that would be useful to them) and I would not be surprised at all if they weren't doing that (because it's too difficult, because they don't want the backlash if people found out, because they genuinely don't want to invade privacy in that way), but linking garbage articles like that and pretending that it's proof of anything or supports your argument in any way makes you look foolish, muddies the waters, and isn't productive in any way. It's pure clickbait nonsense.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

The Walrus posted:

adr1ft is on sale and now works on the vive. worth it?

It's fine but kind of boring

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I don't know much of the specifics with getting stuff like Vorpx to work because I haven't tried any of it myself, but based on how great the 3D in 3DS games is I'm going to guess that it's because it's great.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Chronos is real and good. Edge of Nowhere is also out on the 6th and looks like a real game.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

The Walrus posted:

My inner child hopes against hope for the day Valve says 'oh hey half life 3, it's out, go download it, oh and it's vr'

but no it'll never happen. it honestly frustrates me so much and I don't get frustrated by anything else in the games industry. why not just admit that you're not working on it anymore?!? it must be super annoying being asked about it all the time, so just fuckin put it to bed already

edit: holoball? holoball. is good. holoball!

I'd be OK if they just like wrote a short story that wrapped up series. Leaving it on a stupid lovely cliffhanger is the worst.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
My only metric for how fun a game is is whether or not they scanned a real tree, so I'm on board.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I had a pretty decent amount of space at one point (It was like 3.1x2.6 or something) but after a few weeks I didn't want to be in my living room anymore so I had to break everything down, and now in my bedroom I barely have any space at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Just stop posting in this thread Knifegrab. You're going to make it miserable for everyone until you get probated. Like every other time this has happened.