Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Hello hopefully knowledgeable VR thread posters! I'm a PSVR owner who's looking to upgrade to a PC headset in the near future, I'd like come advice as to whether my PC is up to snuff, or If i should put off upgrading until I have a beefier rig.

I'm running a 1060, with 16 GB of Ram and according to the Oculus Compatibility checker I meet the recommended requirements in all but 2 categories.

First of all my CPU (an older i7) only meets the minimum requirements, is this going to drag everything else down? how important is CPU for VR? I'm literally using the highest spec processor my Mobo is compatible with, so upgrading is not an option without a whole new machine.

Second, my USB ports. I have two 3.0 ports, which aren't numerous enough for a standard Rift and also aren't even compatible. I tried running my PSVR through IVRY and got an incredibly choppy performance, not sure if that's down to my busted old USBs or the fact I'm running barely functional hacks to get the thing working, but regardless I deffo need an expansion card with modern USB ports. Is there a list of Oculus compatible cards out there?

I'm currently considering the Rift S, and I prefer standing VR games with motion tracking like Superhot and BeatSaber. Obviously Valve's new thing looks cool but going by the rumoured specs that would only be a consideration if I can't get a decent VR experience on my current hardware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

SCheeseman posted:

How old the i7 is makes a difference. Anything before Sandy Bridge (2xxx) is pushing it, but less demanding titles like Beat Saber should run okay. Frametime consistency may be worse, certain areas and situations (like lots of physics) may cause the framerate to tank in certain games, high-end simulators are mostly off the table.

I'd recommend waiting for the announcement or at least more information. With the specs being rumored it's going to be tough for even a 2080ti to perform well, there has to be some kind of performance win they haven't talked about or else it'll be another Pimax where no titles run on anything less than a supercomputer.
Apparently it's an 'Intel Core i7-2600 Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor' so I could be worse off I guess? I'm not likely to get into high end simulators, but it would be nice to be able to play stuff like Cyan's Firmament in better than PSVR quality when it comes out.

It's frustrating to have all this uncertainty about the future of VR when I want to have access to Beat Saber mods and custom tracks right now drat it!

edit:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Search Steam for the SteamVR Performance Test and run it as well. The two tools give slightly different results sometimes, iirc, and it'll break down the performance of each relevant part of your computer in its final report.
Thanks, will do.

Mr Phillby fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Apr 1, 2019

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Surprise the thread full of PCVR owners isn't impressed by the Nintendo Virtualboy Cardboard edition. My 10yo nephew is a huge Nintendo nerd and constantly badgers me to let him play Job Simulator whenever he visits. Blurry low framerate BOTW is so far up his alley it's knocked over all the bins.

'The best VR games are all 3rd person, which work fine in 2d anyway' is definitely my favourite take from the Switch thread, however.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
No you have to throw your hat at them like oddjob instead I'm afraid.

If the successor to the switch is just a beefier switch with a higher resolution screen I can totally see that thing coming with a VR dock. Iirc there were switch related VR patents going around back in the NX days, Nintendo's probably been working on something in the background since then.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
The N64 controller had three prongs because Nintendo were being cautious about whether people would take to their wacky new 'analogue stick' idea, not because they thought it was the future of controller design. Nintendo are always equal parts dumb and visionary when it comes to their hardware, sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn't.

It's also worth noting that the PSVR essentially relies on a pair of Controllers which originally came to market as Sony's sad attempt to get some of that wii money. Nintendo did a lot of work to popularize the use of motion sensing tech, and the current best selling VR platform might not even exist if waggle was never a thing.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
https://www.t3.com/amp/news/ps5-set-for-wireless-psvr-headset-with-powerful-next-gen-graphics

Sony filed some VR patents earlier this month. PSVR2 might have eye tracking.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Remember when Microsoft partnered with Oculus to bring VR support to the Xbone, but then it turned out that all you could do with it was play games on a virtual screen. Microsoft are really, really bad at this.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Another good PSVR title with a decent amount of meat is the Wipeout Omega Collection. VR compatibility was patched in months after release, but it works extraordinarily well. Additionally racing is a genre that really benefits from being in VR it turns out.

Turn off all the comfort settings and play one of the windier upsidownier tracks if you want a kill or cure for VR motion sickness.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Yikes, £919 is a bit steeper than I was hoping for the full setup, especially as I'd likely need a new PC to run the drat thing.

Guess I'm in the market for a Rift S.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Tom Guycot posted:

The PSVR as well has sold over 4 million units without any IPD adjustment, and lower sweet spot optics, and has barely had a peep of complaint.
Slightly pedantic point here, but the PSVR does have software based IPD adjustment. It's pretty well burried in the system settings though and bizarely isn't part of the initial setup process.

The fact that the PSVR works at all is amazing but I definitely have experienced a bunch of tracking problems in the past. When the camera is perfectly level and in just the right mood its pretty good tho.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

PSVR has a LOT of cheating going on to make it work. As far as I can tell, all the camera is tracking is "yes I see the light of a Move Object" and letting the HMD or controller figure its position out on gyroscope alone. It can and will drift given the chance, and won't recenter properly unless you restart the game.
A fun PSVR game is covering the light on the back of the DS4 and shaking it up and down to see the virtual controller bob away into the distance on gyro sensors alone :allears:

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Shine posted:

I made a dead-on-arrival thread about this game!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3768528

It's still stupid amounts of fun, with or without VR.

I once played Stop Talking in a setup where we had a team of people with the manual in one room, the game running on a tablet in another and a couple of people with the diffuser who weren't allowed to see the screen whose job was to talk over the phone with the manual team. We literally recreated that scene from Starwars where C3PO couldn't tell if the screams coming over the comms were from success or failure after a particularly clutch last second morse code decryption. Game rules.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
VR Arcades are enough of a thing that the Superhot devs recently released an arcade edition exclusively for sale to arcade owners.

https://superhotgame.com/arcades/

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Iirc the only example I can think of custom tracks being accessable in a walled garden market place was Rockband on PS3. Unfortunately that required custom firmware and only happened after the platform got hacked to poo poo by people mad about losing their linux oses.

Its still going to sell gangbusters on Quest though as it's the ideal title for that platform and most players won't even know that they're missing out on the modding scene.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

rage-saq posted:

I can almost guarantee you average users who play beat saber will know about custom songs after their first week with a quest + beat saber if not the first day or before they even buy.
I have it on PSVR and I had no idea about the custom stuff until I checked out the Games thread weeks after I bought it. A lot of people buy and play games without joining relevant reddit communities or looking up the hotest youtube content.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
If it supports side-loading then it supports torrenting the entire quest store catalog for free. I don't think that'll be the case somehow. Ios is locked the gently caress down yet people can still develop for the platform, there's just a few more hoops to jump through.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
How well does the Rift's playspace marking handle sloped walls/ceilings? I play PSVR in a very non-ideal attic room, am I going to have more or less problems with the Rift S for example?

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Don't worry you already have a facebook account!

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Moss is a pretty simple platformer that would be utterly unremarkable if it wasn't in VR.

On the other hand, I spent longer than I'm willing to admit just staring at the environment and set dressing. Look at this tiny mouses house! They have a little bird cage with a bee in it!

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Welp I bit the bullet and bought a Rift S.

I also bought a x3 usb expansion card when I only have x1 ports availiable like a dumbass. Gotta wait another day to actually use the thing. Still not sure why my on board 3.0 ports aren't compatable in the first place, bleh.

At least I can get through the setup process, I thought. Except apparently my display drivers aren't installed right?

Welcome to PCVR I guess.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is there a beat saber thread?

Anyone know if mods are working again (specifically bear saver) in the 1.0 version?

Also, anyone know the details on how the game is scored? It seems inconsistent but that’s probably just based on me not knowing how it works

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3879239

No clue about the mods, but iirc the scoring depends on how accurate your cuts are and how much you swing the blade before and after the cut. I think max score requires a full 90 degrees on either side of the note. Not sure if timing is a factor.

I find that if I go ham and just really swing the controllers around I get pretty good scores even if I miss a bunch.

Edit^ thats a great breakdown, guess the follow through is a little less important than I thought.

Mr Phillby fucked around with this message at 15:33 on May 23, 2019

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
As a psvr user the rift s is really nice. Sems like a great entry point for pcvr. The controlers feel a bit wierd after using the moves for so long, the angle you hold them at is just a little bit different. The sticks are ace and the tracking is a huge upgrade. The gesture system based on what buttons you're touching is neat, but will take some geting used to.The battery covers keep coming loose when I play beat saber, but its more distracting than anything as they snap back into place on their own pretty quickly. Is it normal to have to launch steam vr games from the occulus virtual desktop? I couldn't get it to work any other way.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
The PSVR's best use case is in a pitch black room because the only things it detects are the lights on the headset/controller. The Rift S needs ambient light to work at all and is generally a lot beter in light conditions. However, direct sunlight (esp if it hits the tracking cameras directly) can still cause problems. The Quest uses the same tracking system and the consensus so far is that if you're playing outside and it's sunny you need to play in the shade.

So short answer its better but it still won't work in a greenhouse on a sunny day.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
The Wii sold 600k units in its first 8 days, the Quest is projected to sell 400k in its first 3 months. Despite its low specs and wide appeal the Wii didn't actually ruin videogames forever by introducing filthy "casuals" into the market place, Sony and Microsoft's next efforts were (to nobody's suprise) not low spec wii imitators. They did however invest a lot into morion tracking tech which laid some of the groundwork for VR to be a 'thing' again almost a decade later.

If there is a market for fancy pants high end tech, even a niche one, then businesses will continue to make and sell this stuff. Videogames are particularly susceptable to fad chasing to the overall detriment of the market, true, but thats generally more on the software side of things. We're seeing a lot of awful (but lucrative) mobile game practices invade console and pc games but the PS5 isn't going to be a phone.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Lower fidelity devices being popular so far hasn't resulted in them being the benchmark for all games released on all platforms?

Like games made specifically for quest are going to show up on other devices, but PSVR is currently the biggest install base and that hasn't hapened at all?

Like games are pretty scalable these days.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I played Obduction when it first came out and as a fan of chill exploratory enviormental puzzle games I though it was pretty good. It's less obtuse than Cyan's older titles but it's still best played with a notebook. I had a lot of fun deciphering the obligatory alien number system, but iirc you don't actually have to do that to beat the game. I had a little play around with the VR mode and while it's a little clumsy and a bit of an afterthough, I wish I could have played through the first time in VR.

Cyan have just finished a kickstarter campaign for their latest game, Firmament, which is looks to be much in the same vein but this time designed from the ground up for VR.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Like as long as you're not making a racket at 2 in the morning I don't see what the problem is? As an overweight person room scale VR being a form of exercise I actually enjoy has had a huge effect on my happiness and wellbeing.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I went with the Rift S over the Quest because I wanted a graphical upgrade over the PSVR and I'm not confident that my PC can handle running VR and streaming at the same time. The holo ring design is also way better than the ski goggles if you wear glasses. Probably going to spring for prescription lenses after my next eye test tho.

Also PCVR is great, who goesn't love awkwardly leaning over a virtual dasboard so you can get a good view of your taskbar so you can open task manager and end the 15 steamvr processes that turned on for some reason?

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Kazy posted:

Apparently you got huge savings on taxes if you sold a user-programmable computer instead of a games console. Looks like they ended the tax break early in the PS3's life.

(Though I hear the reason they actually killed it was because it was a huge security hole)
It was pretty funny that the move to remove Linux pissed of the hacking community that the PS3 was broken wide open within weeks. Maybe that's the plan with sideloading, just let the nerds do what they like and you won't have to constantly stomp on exploits and custom firmware.

Also a whole lotta Facebook apologists itt, gently caress off with that poo poo. I don't care if they haven't broken your favorite toy because doing that doesn't yet line up with their interests, don't loving trust corporations.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Enos Cabell posted:

HTC is a corporation, Valve is a corporation. Social media companies are lovely, but not any worse than any other in this capitalist hellscape. Trashing FB but sucking Valves dick doesn't make you an independent free-thinker, it just makes you a sucker like everyone else. There is no ethical consumption in capitalism.
Tell me where I sucked Valves dick?

Not being able to ethically consume doesn't mean you can't critize the things you choose to consume regardless, nor should you trust the things they say.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Enos Cabell posted:

Criticism and skepticism is good and fine, but we've been hearing the same stuff on repeat since FB bought out Oculus years ago. The argument always boils down to "but it's FB" and that poo poo is tedious.
Sorry the truth is tedious to you I guess? It would be nice to live in a world where the technology I enjoy wasn't largely in the control of the worst company but I'm not going to stop pointing out that every pro consumer move made by oculus so far been a good business decision but someday the ballance will shift the other way. Pretending they shut down SteamVR streaming for the good of their customers is bullshit and sort of indicates that whatever pcvr streaming solution gets their official approvial will be one that's limited to streaming from their own pcvr store.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Good PSVR memories: the useful calibration button that I sorely miss when playing Superhot and the odd occasion when beatsaber has forgotten my room rotation setting.

Bad PSVR memories: slowly rotating my entire body 90 degrees during a game of tetris because my camera was 2 degrees off level and every time I recalibrated it rotated the gameworld slightly to the left.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's what causes the rotation? Because it's been driving me nuts (my camera's on top of the TV and angled down).
Its hard to be 100% sure (i swear some days the tracking just decides to work better or worse under the same conditions) but it seems to help. Also if you're playing a seated game try and stay as central to the camera as possible. I got one of those dumb gaming chairs for playing wipeout and boy is the rotational drift obvious if i don't set it up just so.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

King Vidiot posted:

Man I feel like an idiot. I both couldn't figure out what the button on the bottom of the Rift S actually "did", if anything, and couldn't figure out why the face cup felt so loose and the lenses looked so small and far away. I was like "is this it, is the Rift S's eye coverage this lovely? Oh well".

Then I only today found out that the button adjusts the distance between the lenses and your eyes. So now it has about the same coverage as my Rift did and it feels nice and snug now.
Maybe its because I wear enormous glasses, but on occasion I've managed to tighten the thing so much that the face cup was right on my face in the extended position without noticing.

The range of movement on that thing is pretty small compared to the PSVR.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

TheKeeper posted:

I would also recommend 'Life of Pi' in 3D, as it was actually filmed using the 3D cameras Cameron used/invented for Avatar.
Love the part where the studio behind the award winning special effects were chewed up and spat out by the hollywood machine then got blacklisted in the industry after mentioning that the film had bankrupted their company (despite the film making hundreds of millions in profit) when accepting the previously mentioned awards.

No wait actually I really hate that part

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Welp people weren't lying when they said bethesda hates oculus. Never experienced game audio playing through the virtual desktop but dead silence in game before I foolishly purchased Doom VFR.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Raccoon lagoon is chill as gently caress. Highly recomended if you want something like animal crossing in vr.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Penpal posted:

is it a tendency at this point? they overhyped launch but have underpromised and overdelivered on all of the subsequent updates :shrug:
They didn't overhype they marketed an imaginary version of the game that yers of updates haven't come close to representing. Like I love the game but yeah maybe people won't trust the guys that lied about the game having online multiplayer at launch. You don't go full Molyneux.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Its the same measurement but there's a difference between how ipd is applied between glasses and VR, IE glasses are made so the optical center of the lens matches the position of your pupil and In VR its used to adjust the position of the image through a static lens to best replicate binocular vision. its entirely possible that you may find playing at a different ipd from your actual glasses prescription more comfortable.

I had my rift S at the highest ipd for months with no discomfort and then I had my eyes tested it turned out I was around 58mm. Then again my eyes are imbalanced as gently caress so maybe my brain is just used to them pointing in divergent directions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I'm in the market for decent grips for playing beatsaber and am genuinely tempted to buy these dumbass things:

The nintendo loving wii has nothing on all the ephemeral doodads I want to buy and attach to my rift S it seems.

Also why is the Disposable Hygiene Batman mask for Virtual Reality apparently thing?