Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Will a gtx 1060 (6gb) perform noticeably better than a 1050 gti using an oculus rift? Also, how well do non VR games work, like GTA V?

OctaviusBeaver fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Aug 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Cojawfee posted:

A 1060 should be better than a 1050. I doubt GTAV would work well at all even with VorpX or whatever. GTAV has performance issues with a normal monitor.

Would the 1060 6gb vs 1060 3gb make a big difference? The 3gb version is about $70 cheaper right now. The benchmarks show only about a 5-10% performance difference but I'm wondering if the lower memory will cause a problem.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Just got my rift. I don't know if the other games are going to be any good but the tutorial with the robot was mind blowing.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I got the VR mod for Alien: Isolation and it looks amazing. The only problem is I don't have a gamepad yet. Is it possible to use the Oculus Touch like an Xbox controller? I don't mean the motion tracking but just the buttons and the sticks.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Atomizer posted:

Hey, thanks for all the comments regarding the remote, controllers, and games.

What's up, new Rift user buddy? :hfive: I thought the same about the tutorial; did you make yourself two of the dart guns as well? :iamafag:

Sup :hfive:

I went crazy with the rockets. If you're looking for something else, The Lab is on Steam for free and it was a lot of fun too, though I will need to move some furniture around to really take advantage of the room scale stuff.

I always assumed VR was a gimmick and never really had any interest in it. But I tried out a Robo Recall demo at Best Buy and was instantly convinced. It's a shame the game selection is still so limited, and there is a lot of junk out there, but when it's good it's VERY good. I really hope they are working on more content like RR.

OctaviusBeaver fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Aug 26, 2017

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I just bought Eleven: Table Tennis and I think it might be my second favorite VR game after Robo Recall.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

EbolaIvory posted:

Ironically was looking at table tennis games because i LOVED table tennis when I was a kid.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/555050/Racket_Fury_Table_Tennis_VR/

Came up. And the reviews seem like, super good. Even a few that say "dont worry rift guys, its fine, promise"

How does Eleven "feel" compared to say real table tennis?

Eleven feels really good to me, nothing has really jumped out as feeling unreal or wrong in terms of physics. Even the multiplayer worked pretty well.

You could always try them both and return the one you don't like as much. If you try Racket Fury let us know how it compares.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I tried out the VR bundle on Indiegala and I've been pleasantly surprised. I haven't tried all of the games yet but the ones I have make it worth $4 for the batch. Pixel arcade is different from anything else I've tried, though if you get motion sickness you should definitely stay away.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
How are you playing FNV in VR?

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

General RAARGH posted:

Those of you here running 1060s, how satisfied are you with your VR performance? I have a Rift and want to upgrade my aging 670 but can't quite convince myself to stretch a further $230 for a 1070 (South African prices).

I'm running a third generation i7 and I'm not sure if that is going to become a bottleneck with the more powerful cards. Though I'll probably try to OC that up to 4.5GHz for some cheap wins.

I have a 1060 6gb and I'm really happy with it. I've played Robo Recall, Arizona Sunshine, Airship and Echo Arena with no problems. I'm using the default graphics settings for all games.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
There is a Quake II VR mod. You can download it bundled with the demo, then just unzip it and start playing if you want to try it. The game itself definitely shows it's age but I think it's worth trying the demo at least. I might pick up the full game and try it with the high res texture mod if it drops down to a couple bucks.

http://www.malcolm-s.net/q2vr/

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
One thing I was looking forward to with the Rift was watching movies on Big Screen and feeling like I was in a movie theater. But video is really blurry and text is almost unreadable. I looked up the specs and it says the rift has 2160 x 1200 resolution. Why does it look so much worse than a 1920x1080 monitor?

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

Just gave the Half-Life VR mod a try and... oof. It's obviously made for the Vive, since I needed to click the thumbstick in order to get the movement controls to respond. That was cumbersome enough, but I was tooling around at a speed that got me temporarily stuck in level geometry constantly, and made me nauseous despite my solid VR legs. Then when I finally picked up the crowbar, it was completely misaligned. Don't even want to think about what some of those much-maligned jumping puzzles would be like with this setup.

Don't think I'll be playing it again unless it gets some significant updates.

I can't find it now but I saw a post somewhere with a fork of the mod that's tweaked for Oculus that fixes some of that stuff.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Has anyone tried the prescription lens inserts from WIDMOVR? I just ordered a set as they were the only ones on reddit with decent user reviews that I saw.

Sounds like a waste of money, just get lasik instead imo

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I got Wilson's Heart for $10 when it was on sale and I'm a couple hours in. There are some good set pieces, and I like the overall atmosphere, but I wish they had put more effort in to making it an actual game. You don't really get to make any decisions, you just grab whatever object in front of you happens to be glowing. The special abilities all seem to get used once right when you acquire it and then never again. You can only use your objects exactly when it prompts you. I feel like it could have been a lot better if there were actual puzzles you had to solve instead of just "grab the glowing object" on repeat. Or if there was more than 1 way to accomplish things.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Finally tried out rec room and it's actually a lot of fun. Questing and paintball are some of the funnest VR things I've done after Robo Recall. Only downside is that you're playing with literal children most of the time.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
In google earth is it possible to move around (even just backwards and forwards) while in street view?

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Is there a serious sam game that's best for VR or are they all pretty much the same?

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I thought using the stick to move in Serious Sam was pretty disappointing. I didn't get sick but just floating along ruins the immersion for me. Robo Recall worked great with teleport because they built the game around it but it would get tedious if every game did that. I really liked Lucky's Tale, I hope somebody comes out with a third person shooter at some point because I think that could really work in VR. Just port Jet Force Gemini

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Stick100 posted:

Have you tried Landfall? It was OK and shows what you're thinking of.

Didn't know about it, thanks for the heads up.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

GutBomb posted:

There are military applications, as well as Lyft/Uber/taxi/trucking operations can outsource their drivers.

I've seen enough Chinese and Indian dash cam videos to know that outsourcing drivers to the third world is a bad idea.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
What's the cheapest way to get Skyrim VR? Isthereanydeal says the lowest is $51 but I thought somebody said it's $47.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I never played pancake Skyrim but I'm really liking the VR version. Swordplay is kind of meh so far but it might be better if I used a shield. Spellcasting and archery are pretty sweet. I read that destruction doesn't scale well late game so I might need a mod for that. One thing I wish it had was a quick way to save a loadout so I don't have to keep going through a menu to cast summon then fireball.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
How do you open the world map in Skyrim with the oculus controller?

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Bhodi posted:

left touch controller button to bring up the radial menu that's SPELLS ITEMS MAP LEVEL UP, trigger to select.

Thanks! I was looking for it in the menu.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I feel like I'm missing something with House of the Dying Sun. The only tactic I can figure out is fly straight at them and fire the auto cannon.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Teleportation can be great when done right. Robo Recall and Rec Room are still my favorite VR games by far. In fact I think Robo Recall kinda ruined most other VR games for me.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Dirt Rally is in the Humble Bundle. Is that a good buy for the VR even if you don't have a wheel?

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Ended up buying DIRT Rally in the humble bundle for $6. Playing with an Xbox 360 controller I think it's pretty fun. I have absolutely no idea how rally driving works or what the dude next to me is reading off his paper but VR driving is fun and the environments look nice. I might end up liking it more once I go through the tutorials but even right now I think it was worth what I paid.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Full VR so it looks like you're on a tropical island instead of a crappy office would be pretty sweet.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I don't know how a 970 compares to a 1060 but I've had zero problems. Never tried FO4 though.

I thought Wilson's Heart was just ok. Would have been better with actual puzzles and more interaction with the environment.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I love anything with big, open, colorful environments. The Climb, Aircar and Robo Recall are all great this.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Is the VR support in Dying Light any good? It's on sale for $13 at dlgamer.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Zero VGS posted:

No, I checked it out myself when it first came out and it is very very bad. The cutscenes will make you puke, and the game is like bare minimum "well, it technically works" VR implementation. They tossed it in I want to say in like the DK2 era. On top of all that, good luck getting it running at 90fps capped.

Maybe try it first on Steam so at least you can refund it in the first 2 hours. If you can put up with it there, then I guess go grab it on DLgamer.

That's a shame, thanks though

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I think the hardware is fine, they just need more and better games. I like my Oculus but if version 2 came out tomorrow I probably wouldn't buy it.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I haven't tried it yet but saw this on reddit, if you sign up for a free trial of viveport you can get 5 games for $1 each and then cancel:

Accounting
Superhot
Sairento
Arizona Sunshine
The Wizards

https://www.viveport.com/

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Last time I looked at H3VR it was mostly just a shooting range. I don't really know much about guns, is there enough of a game there to be interesting?

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Is there any way to calibrate where the floor is for the Oculus? When I drop a gun in H3VR I can't pick it up half the time because my sensors are on a desk and can't see the floor. Or in other games like Accounting it thinks the floor is below my physical floor so I literally can't reach stuff.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Is there any way to get audio on my Rift when launching a steam game and then go back to my speakers when I exit? I always have to go into Windows sound settings, set the rift as the default sound source and then disable my normal speakers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
The arm swinging locomotion in H3VR is top notch. More games need that.