Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wanderer89
Oct 12, 2009

Bhodi posted:

~Leap Motion info~

This really does work pretty well, considering. It's just not going to work for stuff like the archery demo that requires fine timing of the trigger buttons while not always looking at them, but xortex is pretty awesome with it, worth trying even if you have a vive even.

Also you can add launch options to the lab to jump straight into specific demos, -xortex for example. Audioshield is also 'playable' though a bit trickier. Supposedly the driver author is thinking about adding wiimote or psmove controllers for button/touchpad inputs, then continue using leap motion for positional tracking.

Meanwhile, there are also two separate drivers in development for using psmove controllers with dual ps-eye cameras (ps3) to emulate vive wands as well. I haven't gotten around to trying the one currently available, (too busy in assetto corsa/elite :v: ) but probably will try the second one which seems to be polished nicer. Supposedly will be published by the end of the month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer89
Oct 12, 2009

SwissCM posted:

Has anyone been working on a PSMove driver for OpenVR? I was just thinking about it and it would be great for anyone with a DK2, CV1 or whatever since the hardware is already available. The controls don't map perfectly to the Vive remote but it's pretty close.

hipstersloth908 on reddit is working on a new one, should post something by end of the month. There's an old one by Minotaurus0 that I haven't tried yet either.

Wanderer89
Oct 12, 2009

Gendal posted:

That's a good idea. I measured it myself and it was 59mm. On the Vive I set it to the minimum which is 60, so it's easy enough to try cranking it up to that on the Rift and seeing what happens.

It took me a good week or so of testing to finally find my sweet spot, had it at like 64 initially, but have left it at 68 for weeks now, seems just right.

Wanderer89
Oct 12, 2009

OrganicAnkleSocks posted:

Having no previous experience with any VR solution, I went to Best Buy and demo'd the Rift. The colors seemed really washed out on it. Did BB just have a setting goofed up or is this normal for a Rift? I tried searching and saw some folks having washed out colors with a DK version that was supposed to be fixed by a software update, but nothing to give me a feel for if this is normal on the retail Rift.

Was positional tracking working properly? (Not just rotational)

The colors desaturate whenever the sensor loses sight of the headset to let you know, so best buy may have goofed the setup, because I wouldn't call the rift's screen washed out normally.

Wanderer89
Oct 12, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

I'm pretty sure it's a legal thing. Why else would they say it's fine for an individual to add in support for other headsets but not for someone to distribute it. That's a dumb distinction and it sounds like some lawyer made it up.

That, and both the superhot and giant cop teams have said they they've always intended to launch on one platform, iron out bugs, and then work on the other. I'm thinking it's just partly a result of limited resources. Giant Cop team has said the whole "timed exclusive" thing was their idea in the first place, not oculus', but who knows. The whole thing is blown way out of proportion imo, but hey I'm a dirty rift owner so my opinion doesn't count.

Only really slimy thing was if oculus approached croteam well after development started to just straightup get timed exclusivity, in which case, yeah, that's lovely. But then croteam came back and posted like immature children about it, so uh, tie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer89
Oct 12, 2009

Helter Skelter posted:

I don't think there's really anyone beating EVGA's lifetime warranty, so any of their non-FE models (like this one) would probably be a good choice. Assuming you can find one in stock, of course, as 1080 cards in general still seem to be in short supply.

I've got this one, it's been fine. It's just what happened to be in stock a while back, but actually I think I'd pick this one again. Not too rice-y, decent cooler and warranty.