Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Thor-Stryker posted:

Supposedly it's been demoed to journalists and will make it to Las Vegas this year (CES?). But whether it's more/better than Hololens is the real question.

Only way I could see it being better is if it projected the visuals directly onto your eye without causing permanent eye damage (A man can dream.)

IIRC we're basically (if not actually) at the point where we have picolasers/LDs that can do this safely https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_retinal_display#Safety

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Nalin posted:

I've tried on the lowest brightness and the highest brightness. I would reboot the phone before I would ever use the Gear VR. I uninstalled known power hungry apps like Facebook. My phone just gets hot, and according to the Internet I'm not the only one with the problem. It's just a thing. Congrats on owning a better binned phone or something.

As a side note - the facebook app on Android is more than just power hungry. I highly recommend using the website if you use facebook on your phone.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Cojawfee posted:

Don't install facebook on your phone, because it eats through your battery for no reason. I uninstalled facebook and I went from 1 day of battery life that was pretty much mostly standby to 2-3 days with moderate use.

I've "heard" form a source that I consider to be credible that the FB app has gotten a lot better on Android at least when it comes to battery usage, but that you should also absolutely not have it installed as it "messes with parts of the Android system that aren't really for apps to mess with"

Also, the mobile site works pretty well in Chrome.

Messenger probably doesn't do that.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

sliderule posted:

Tried Descent Underground with the Vive headset, and it hurt my brain after 10 seconds.

I really don't see anything with a fast-moving camera independent of the headset really working in VR.

Thank Goodness, it's not just me. It might be the worst motion sickness I've experienced in VR yet. I can float around in Milkdrop domes forever, too.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Jarmak posted:

Looking through my PayPal record to start a chargeback I'm noticing a second $10 charge from digital river 3 weeks after my order was placed and 2 weeks before they "shipped" it, anyone have any idea what this was?

edit: it's labeled "DRI Greybox order"

That's pretty weird. This is the only VR-ish thing I found that sort of sounds like a thing http://cognitivevr.co/blog/graybox-building-vr-within-vr/

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Jarmak posted:

Why would I care if a legit chargeback was on my paypal record?

I'm curious - does paypal suffer or benefit in any way from a chargeback? IMO they deserve a place on the pile of poo poo companies.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Jarmak posted:

I swear to god if I stumble across one more news article about how Vives are shipping in 72 hours I'm recreating a modern GWOT version of Rambo: First Blood

I just want to give you a hug. :glomp:

Reading about your experience is just maddening.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I have 9' ceilings in my living room (the trade-off for not having a balcony), and 7' or so seems to be the sweet spot. It can still track me in Tilt Brush jumping as high as I can.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

EdEddnEddy posted:

VR Cover has a sort of Leather cover that can go over it to lessens the absorption, but overall I wish someone would just make good replacement pads like the Aboutface.vr guys did.

Others here seem to have had good luck modifying padded sleep mask to use as foam pad replacements, but has anyone found any other pads that fit and can replace the use of the stock one? You would think someone would jump on that instead of these goofy covers that only kinda almost cover everything.

I've been doing something DIY, but I'm not happy with it yet. I need to find my neoprene and a few other things, maybe.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I was lucky enough to spend a year at a school that had 3DSMax for student use (2001ish) and I feel like that has served me well now that I've dipped my toe into VR tinkering.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

El Grillo posted:

Did any of you guys get 3D 1080p movies working? I know there was discussion in the old thread and it sounded pretty complicated.
I really want to watch Gravity, Avatar and the How to Train Your Dragon movies on a gigantic 3D screen. Especially the latter as I've seen neither of them in imax unlike the first two!

I haven't bothered, but I think you need to re-encode it as side-by-side video.

Otherwise, I thought that Vorpx could do it, but I guess not. Tridef, maybe? I haven't looked at that much.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Cojawfee posted:

I haven't seen it mean that in quite some time.

It's entirely industry/company specific. Source: I deal with companies with varying fiscal year ends.

I definitely agree that they mean Q4 2017, though.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Oculus tracking works pretty differently, too. I think having the option of using 1-2 or up to 4 or even more would be welcome on any device.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Honest Thief posted:

But I still need to setup the sensors, right? Not like I can just put them up and pointing down to the space between my desk and armoire.

That would work. You only really need one if you're doing seated, but 2 will be used if you set both up. You could probably even put them on your desk. There's a different setup for seated-only that you can go through. (You might also be surprised at a few games being playable in a pretty small space)

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

Some time ago, I think it was in the previous thread, someone mentioned these floor-to-ceiling extendable bars they'd found that were good for mounting the Vive lighthouses without damaging your walls. I think they were normally used for photography? Anyone remember what those were called?

Contractor poles, cargo bars, etc. The cheapest/shittiest (but pretty ok imo) are http://www.harborfreight.com/2-in-1-support-cargo-bar-66172.html

Searching for contractor poles generally shows a good bunch of results to look through.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Hm, I wonder if the Chaperone Manager can save that for an easy toggle on/off. I'd like to have it off for Audioshield since my space is very long, but fairly narrow. There's not much space where the chaperone doesn't show up.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Anecdotally, my years of abusing my body and mind have not made me any less susceptible to motion sickness in VR than anyone else I know. :unsmith:

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Truga posted:

And it's is a good thing. Tech patents are a big pile of bs.

The USPTO is all sorts of hosed up from hiring and training up through policy and the patent courts :v

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
My home-made cover of neoprene layered with velcro and topped with ShamWow is pretty OK. I usually prefer it to the included foams, at least.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I can't watch that video because I'm working and it wouldn't be appropriate to take as many drugs as I'd need to get through it.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Truga posted:

Yeah, virtual desktop

In my experience, though, FPS still matters. Some 360 roller coaster videos made me pretty ill.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

El Grillo posted:

Anyone had problems with Unreal demos where you're floating way above the ground? I've done room setup in SteamVR a bunch of times but it's not helping. Anyone know how to fix this? Trying to check out the Sampa demo.

Did you set the player position correctly for SteamVR + Unreal? https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Platforms/SteamVR/QuickStart/index.html

It looks like it's actually been updated since I messed with it.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

El Grillo posted:

You don't actually need Unreal to play the thing, I think it is packed with the unreal binaries or whatever. So I don't get why Unreal would've decided I'm 4 metres tall..
e: how is it that the steamvr room setup does nothing at all for this?

I know there's a program that lets you edit the floor (and more, I think). It might be https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4qguq9/updated_yet_again_chaperone_manager_supersampling/ ?

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Aphex- posted:

Genuinely curious - Why does everyone hate Notch? Pretty much all I know is that he sold Minecraft for billions and now just tweets about nothing because who cares, he's rich.

I haven't seen anything particularly egregious from him, but I can't be accused of looking. He's somewhat of a darling of the Brietbart/MRA crowd and actively acknowledges association with them, tho.

https://twitter.com/notch/status/704828353627295744 etc

e: casual perusal of twitter makes me feel like he just needs better friends to talk to him rationally about a few things, but I'm that sort of hopeless optimist v0v

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

d0s posted:

oh poo poo my bad, I was going by what was written in this article which said it was for non-gaming content. this seems like a really bad move on HTC's part in that case, I mean one of the big reasons to get a vive was "they're not doing the oculus home bullshit"

I think non-gaming experiences are intended to be the focus of it, but not the only thing they will offer.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

BMan posted:

Well now I'm just confused: http://blog.vive.com/us/2016/09/your-journey-begins-at-viveport/

It looks like half of the supposed "Viveport Premieres" are already being sold outside of Viveport, so I don't know what the gently caress. (Everest VR and theBlu are on Steam, The Music Room has a humble widget on their web site)

e: Also, can someone explain to me how buying exclusives for a store makes any economic sense when there is no vendor lock-in?

I think that TheBlu at least is some sort of "remaster" fwiw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

70 FPS is not a deal breaker. Honestly, 30 FPS isn't a deal breaker. What is a deal breaker for VR is a fluctuating framerate and while I don't understand the term at all, frame pacing is also important(?). So long as there is consistency it should be more or less fine. Personally I'd like to be able to cap certain performance intensive games to 60 rather than 90, since (to me at least) static 60 and static 90 are indistinguishable, but jolts from 90 to 70 definitely are even though I never drop below 60.

On which headset, with which options? With reprojection on the Vive, going from 90 > 70 bumps you into reprojected-45fps iirc.