Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
Does anybody own both the Vive and a Gear VR? I'm trying to draw a comparison with regards to resolution.

I tried playing my steam games through Stream Theater on my gear VR and it actually worked quite well (this is the one that puts you in a room with a giant screen for your game).

The only issue is that I was having trouble reading the text and tooltips in the game in the game I was playing, I was trying out Dota 2, but it was severe enough that it would probably affect other games as well.

I'm not sure if this was a side effect of stream theater streaming a lower resolution image to my device or if it was just a factor of the gear VR's resolution being poor and/or lower than something like a Vive/Rift (expected for a first gen VR device priced at $99). I noticed similar things when watching some videos on the netflix app, though not nearly as pronounced.

I'd like to know how the experience compares specifically when playing games in theater mode (assuming that's the one where you just get a big screen with a 2D image). I was planning on picking up a Vive alongside the GTX 1080 sometime in the next year, but that's a lot of :10bux: to drop if the experience is going to be similarly blurry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

greententacle posted:

So has anyone had much experience with mobile VR with like Google Cardboard or Samsung Gear etc? For me at the moment it's just that or nothing, I'm not looking at getting a proper one yet. If it's basically a silly gimmick I'll get sick of after 10 minutes, I don't wanna bother shilling out the $100ish+ for it.

Mobile VR is amazing for watching shows/movies, good games are probably a little harder to come by, Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes being a notable exception, great fun to have at get-togethers since you're not tethered to a PC.

I use my gear VR on an almost nightly basis to watch a netflix show or a twitch stream before going to sleep, I'm looking to pick up a vive later this year though as the library of good games seems to be rather lackluster on the samsung store in comparison to what's available on steam...I'm really looking forward to trying out audioshield.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
This is all very exciting stuff, I can't wait to see where this technology gets taken.

I picked up a Vive a month ago and I'm having a lot of fun with it so far. Beat Saber is an incredible game and I'm eager to see it expand.

I wish there were more full fledged games, The Gallery was touted as one of the best adventure games out right now for VR, and it was pretty good, but the first episode only lasted an hour and I haven't picked up the second one yet because of how short this first one was.

If anyone wants to toss some recommendations my way, I'd love to hear them, this is what I have picked up so far:

Beat Saber
AudioShield
Subnautica
Superhot VR
Space Pirate Trainer
Fantastic Contraption
The Gallery Ep1: Call of the Starseed

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

El Grillo posted:

I take it you've checked out the Oculus store games like Lone Echo (consistently voted the best singleplayer VR game so far, not that long but certainly significantly longer than The Gallery etc.)? Other more substantial singleplayers include Mage's Tale (~20hrs), Arktika.1, Wilson's Heart, The Invisible Hours, Chronos (gamepad only, but it's excellent), Fallout 4 VR, Skryim VR, etc.

I haven't browsed the Oculus store, actually, I was unaware that there was a storefront other than steam for Vive games, I'll take a look.

I have Skyrim VR because my roommate wanted to try it, but I've never played Skyrim so I didn't wanna jump into the VR version, wasn't my style of game outside of VR so I didn't think there was much to it here.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
I really appreciate all the recommendations, most of this stuff is wishlisted until next paycheck, but I can't wait to try it all out.

I learned that scoring on beat saber for each block not only consist of how on-beat you slash each cube, but also on how fast/powerful your slice is, which is a great way of motivating players to actually swing instead of just lazily flicking their wrists, playing this game for score is tiring, but so incredibly fun.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

Gort posted:

How does this work, exactly?

I'm not sure on the specifics, but I play rhythm games regularly and was noticing that even though I was slicing the cubes on beat, each cube would give me only 60-70 points, with the occasional 100+.

A reddit thread on /r/beatsaber mentioned that the speed of your slice factors into your score, which coincided with my experience, I haven't gone back to actually verify this, but I imagine that if this is true then slicing each cube more forcefully would yield 100+ points for each cube more reliably, leading to a higher score.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

you should probably look at what some high-level DDR charts look like before you rag on those people, that's... pretty much how you're supposed to do it

like, i'm pretty sure this isn't even physically possible without breaking both your legs if you tried to "dance" it without bar-humping

e: I found a video of a guy doing it without the bar and he's basically holding his entire upper body mostly still while having a loving seizure from the waist down

Even this is relative tame for what some players are doing now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDVne0CFhm8&t=29s

I play near that level and the game is super fun and challenging, you just look kinda retarded doing it.

I appreciate the way beat saber is forcing motions though, the green screen videos of people slicing cubes look really really good.

Fano fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 4, 2018

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

Truga posted:

Does it have any good music though? I'm a dumb old fashioned person who mostly listens to poo poo like punk and ska and ancient pop music and I really don't like these games enough to enjoy them unless I get to listen to good music while at it. :v:

They have custom songs + an editor in their roadmap, so look forward to being able to put anything you want on there.

If it's anything like any other rhythm game community, there will be some pretty high quality song charts made buried under a sea of lovely J-pop and anime OVAs.

Out of the existing songs, Escape is probably my favorite.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
I'm more hopeful for future content in Beat Saber created by the devs as opposed to custom maps, to be honest.

They have shown that they can put out quality content, I hope that officially mapped songs continue to come out on a regular basis and that they don't just throw out the editor and say "have at it!"

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

ShadowHawk posted:

I put the controllers on one of these:

https://www.bestorx.com/magnetic-charging-dock-for-htc-vive.html

I don't hang the headset on it since the cord would go across the room that way, but it's great for controllers.

I had this thing wishlisted but yours looks like a much better choice, especially since I can hang my headset on my setup without it going across the room, nice.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
Does Plex not have a normal "VR Theater" similar to the Netflix app on the GearVR? I haven't used my Gear in a long long time but I may pop in a movie or two from my Plex server if this is a thing.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

w00tazn posted:

Rock Band customs had the same issues as it's pretty hard to authr for easier difficulties and still have the track be fun to play so a lot of people got lazy and only released expert tracks

This is a problem in a lot of rhythm games that offer custom content, it's hardcore players creating content for themselves and/or other hardcore players, poo poo will progressively get harder often for no reason (see: current ITG community).

It's not inherently a bad thing because there's a lot of good and creative content and you get to play songs that would normally never make it as an official track, it's just not too friendly to newer players.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

EbolaIvory posted:

I think once the official map tools come out. Those of us that simply hate that drum hero poo poo will be making "hard" tracks that make you shake your booty, or at least able to shake your booty. Instead of standing still wiggling your wrists. Its more fun that way, and its a way better workout. :D

I can only hope this is the case, I have a lot of rhythm gaming friends IRL (the DDR/ITG community is actually great) and one of them is already busy making wrist-wiggling tracks to pendulum songs :negative:

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
I tried the compound demo and it gave me massive motion sickness :/

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
I bought Arizona Sunshine during the sale and it looks like the trigger buttons on my vive controllers aren't working in game? I'm unable to pick anything up in the main menu to even start. I can teleport just fine and every other game works as expected. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

Fano posted:

I bought Arizona Sunshine during the sale and it looks like the trigger buttons on my vive controllers aren't working in game? I'm unable to pick anything up in the main menu to even start. I can teleport just fine and every other game works as expected. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Does anybody else have any insight on this before I go and refund the game?