Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Some of the rift s reviews are not very serious, I read one where they basically said 'such and such feauture aren't bad, but they are better on Valve's Index'. Uhh yeah no poo poo, Index is more than twice as expensive, so I am not sure how is that useful information in a Rift S review.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Boneworks videos are so impressive that it makes me think someone (Valve / Oculus) should do a VR-focused middleware physics/game engine, where devs can plug and play it to their games, and have solid and flexible framework for realistic physical interactions, soft body physics, gun combat, melee, combat, etc.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

What's the current status of PC to Quest streaming? Virtual Desktop vs ALVR vs Riftcat?
Anything allow usb tethering?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

-PC-Link with usbc
-Markerless finger tracking
-Facebook Horizon
-Passthrough+
-Oculus Go apps coming to Quest, and people owning Go app will be freely upgraded to Quest version until end of year
-Oculus TV
-Oculus Media Studio

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 25, 2019

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I guess I'm alone at this, but it seemed to me very interesting the effort in the business cases they are making
https://www.oculus.com/blog/a-closer-look-at-the-new-oculus-for-business-launching-in-november/

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

mashed_penguin posted:

Teathering is going to make it really hard for devs to justify not doing crossbuy going forward for new releases on quest and rift.

Oh yes I thought the same.

A summary of the keynote:

Oculus link for Quest
Hand tracking for Quest early next year
Facebook Horizon, with integrated creation tools, including scripting
Passthrough+
Oculus Go apps in Quest
Vulkan multiview + fixed foveated rendering in UE/Unity
Analitics dashboard for devs
‘Mixed reality’ video tools, with native support in Oculus
Easier development in Quest thanks to Oculus link
Facebook social features: (oh noes! etc) facebook chat from VR, events, post to face from VR
Destinations + Rich Presence (virtual locations integrated with friend lists, possibility to join to them)
All media consolidated to Oculus TV
Media Studio too for creators to manage/publish/do analytics your content
Oculus Business (for enterprise-grade management), ISV Partner program
R&D: Half Dome v.3 reached, now it uses electronic liquid displays to vary focus

Games:
Beat Saber new free mode in December, new dlc next week
Vader Ep 2 out
Stormlands + Asgard’s Wrath release date in a few weeks
Medal of Honor full-length game by Respawn
New Boneworks game for Quest next year

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I decided to buy a Quest for Christmas, so I will join you in a few months!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The MS bet on Hololens comes in that the industry experts agree in that it will be the next big thing. But their failure comes in WHEN it's going to come. They bet on it too early. Real, practical augmented reality exist still only in the realm of science fiction. Michael Abrash talked about it in one of the previous Oculus Connect, in how good AR is a magnitude harder to do that good VR.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Tom Guycot posted:

The problem was vr sales were so slow the announced ones like LG just cancelled, and computer vision tracking caught up so fast that by the time vr does pick up most headsets will be plug and play optical, and there's no large base of lighthouse peripherals and systems to leverage.

I'm not knocking the tech, but I've always said inside out vision tracking will kill any possibility of a lighthouse ecosystem because 99% of consumers would rather not bother with mounting things around their room. I'm sure it will still have use from future valve headsets and other niche products and businesses, but it was just never going to be a 'bandwagon'.

It really caught me off guard how fast computer vision advanced too. I thought we were still a pair of years away before it was solid enough to do inside-out, trackerless and for cheap (in both computationally speaking and in material cost).

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

My $.02: hold your horses people. This isn't the first time a company / product has a 'strong' or draconian ToS, but lots of times it's there just in case, it's another thing to actually enforce it. As I say, lots of companies don't really enforce their own ToS, because it isn't practical, or popular.

When they start blocking accounts because of sideloading we can say the sky is falling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

IGN loved it
https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/10/10/asgards-wrath-review