Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SCheeseman posted:

Hand tracking is VR's version of the laptop trackpad or phone touchscreen. It's a convenience option and/or a fallback rather than the default way all VR games will be controlled from now on and it might even be better for certain types of games.

Yeah that sounds right to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
You MUST install the rockstar game launcher to play LA Noire VR?

Man, gently caress off R*

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

drat, I just finally got around to playing Payday in VR and it works really really well? I expected it to be half-assed as a free update but shiiiit this is as good as pavlov or onward but way more content

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Shine posted:

Payday 2 VR is dope and the only way I'll play that game now. They did a really good job, especially given that it was a free update to an ancient game.

Yeah. Like, even how you interact with the menus had a lot of thought and polish put into it. Its a very comfortable experience.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Insert that video of Chris Roberts running around in the Omni in Palmer Luckey's apartment and nearly breaking everything while Palmer looks on extremely concerned

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

LLSix posted:

That's explains it then. Surprisingly I feel less stupid now. From the way goons talked about it, I thought Take and Hold had a counterstrike type mode, but its just against weiners (bots). Oh well.

Is there anything better than RecRoom for just running around and mindlessly shooting people?

Payday 2

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I wish some new blood at Microsoft had a thing for VR, an unexpected patch to Forza Horizons to enable proper 3D drivers seat mode would be like an early xmas present. It’s such a good looking game, the car interiors are all fully modelled, pls give us this Microsoft :o:

I want an open world VR racer SO BAD. I play Forza Horizon with a wheel already, even though the physics can't hold a candle to PCars2 or iRacing.

I would kill for Forza VR support but its not happening :(

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

I don't know anything about the Hololens so I Googled it. And I still don't know what it is for.

Its really useful to help train astronauts!!

Beyond niches though... no clue.

VR is here. AR is still coming.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

The MS bet on Hololens comes in that the industry experts agree in that it will be the next big thing. But their failure comes in WHEN it's going to come. They bet on it too early. Real, practical augmented reality exist still only in the realm of science fiction. Michael Abrash talked about it in one of the previous Oculus Connect, in how good AR is a magnitude harder to do that good VR.

Yeah I was gonna say, didn't Abrash do a bunch of AR testing and then jump ship to work on VR?

That's extremely telling.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Truga posted:

It's virtual motion capture, you need trackers for your feet and probably belt in addition to hmd/controllers, then install an app that does the 3rd person angle like https://store.steampowered.com/app/755540/LIV/

Does this have an impact on performance? Just curious. I would figure.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Clitch posted:

Skyrim VR is on sale for $30. Worth it?

Its an actual full game, which most VR games are pretty short and light on content. But its a bethesda game, and not originally designed for VR.

I think it works better than Fallout, even though fallout has guns and the pip-boy so it should really work better in vr. Both can probably be improved with mods but I haven't gotten there yet.

Its hard to say "worth it" for someone else. But just walking around in Skyrim seeing everything in 3d perspective is pretty cool. And firing magic blasts out of your hands or shooting arrows feels really good. Melee feels... okay.

The menus are the worst part of it, but I say just put it on like easy difficulty and don't worry too much about micro managing your inventory or stats.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

AndrewP posted:

Skyrim was neat until a pack of wolves startled me so bad I ripped my headset off.

That's how I feel about Doom 3 in VR

And Resident Evil too

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

eddiewalker posted:

Dang I guess I can’t update Beatsaber on Quest for a while.

https://reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/dddjb9/beaton_support_ending_illicit_mods_are_now/

BeatOn, custom songs and mods are dead per the updated TOS.

quote:

With the new oculus policy any game mods that aren’t explicitly supported by the game developers are also not allowed.

Lol fuuuuuck that

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Tom Guycot posted:

Beat Saber custom song mods were always a ticking time bomb, flying under the radar because VR was still so small. The bigger it gets the sooner notoriously legal happy record companies will take notice of people downloading all these songs for some game. I don't know how anyone is shocked oculus wants to stay away from putting themselves in any legal cross hairs. They have the TOS now to say "yep, we told people not to, we're not facilitating any copyright infringement" if the RIAA comes knocking, and Beat Games needs to try and stay squeaky because they're dependent on staying in the record industry's good graces if they ever want to sell more music packs.

Stepmania has been doing it for like 20 years and nobody even knows they exist :shrug:

Clitch posted:

Rocksmith basically plays deaf and blind to a very robust custom song community, and they sell a fuckton of DLC.

Also Rocksmith yeah, and they're commercial unlike Stepmania

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Thoatse posted:

The new Dirt Rally 2.0 releases actually fixed lovely vr performance especially SteamVR users. I can still only pull 45fps with reprojection, but my machine only has a 2060 and a 3570k and that's at 100% resolution in an Index and it's at least smooth now with decent settings. Amazing detail compared with the first one and the cars are a handfull (in a good way) though the piecemeal pricing is annoying

Nice, gave this another shot in VR and it runs pretty smooth for me! :)

Thoatse posted:

On another note, what are this threads hot takes on Low-Fi? I'm an idiot so I already backed it on ks but Technolust was legit and Aircar gives me a hardon too so

Hadn't heard of this before but Blade Runner VR looks loving :krad:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

sigher posted:

Awesome, thanks!

Also, my friend is a pilot and I just introduced her to VR and I'm wondering if there's any proper flight sims that support VR natively without much loving around. Something that she could easily set up. I have my Rift S wasting away so I wouldnt mind giving that away to her.

Put her in WarThunder in test flight mode. No enemies, no objectives, no time limit. Just free flying.

Plenty of fun to be had just flying around by yourself in VR.

For bonus points not only does WarThunder just work out of the box with VR, its also free to play.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is there a good video on how to get started in War Thunder? I find it’s interface incomprehensible and I already got my bachelors degree in navigating Elite Dangerous, I’m not going for a PhD

Its literally "pick plane, pick mode"

The reason it seems confusing is the tech/progression tree is right in your face and you need to pick a plane to fly.

But don't overthink it. Progression is per-faction so pick one to stick with for a minute that you like. Pick one of their planes, probably a fighter (they're on the left) and go fly with it. Eventually you'll unlock planes in the flowchart.

Planes get matched with like planes so if you fly a biplane you won't get matched up with jets.

There's arcade (respawns and reloads), semi-real, and historic mode.

Historic means you cannot use 3rd person camera or radar. You must look to see enemies. Very cool but very hard.

Used to be VR was at a disadvantage outside historic, but its gotten better. They fixed the VR hud so you can look to the right of your cockpit and see a virtual radar now, stuff like that.

Similarly you can see your speed, etc. to your left, although your cockpit gauges are animated accurately so you can fly by them, but they can be hard to read sometimes.

Just fly planes. Blow people up, get xp. Die, no big, jump in another match. (Or respawn if arcade)

TLDR: Fly British, unlock spitfire, ????, profit

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Oct 9, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Shine posted:

gently caress jets. You can have way more fun playing tiers 1-4, imo.

100% agree

I'm all about the spitfires and zeroes and mustangs, and the biplanes are maybe the most fun you can have in war thunder.

Its cool they're adding jets but they don't really play right and they're not gonna remake the entire engine to support jets. Its just like, the devs have already made every WW2 ship they could think of so they may as well go to other time periods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

First thing make sure the GPU is still getting power. Re-plug the power pins on the GPU, and re-seat it on the mobo just in case.

If that doesn't work, try to test with another GPU if you can. Its probably the GPU.

But your CPU is probably fine. If its not the GPU I'd think its either Mobo or Power Supply.

Wait, after a minute? Like for a minute it runs at full frame rate? Maybe its overheating or something weird like that. Blow some canned air in there first thing, make sure the GPU isn't just choked on dust or something. Check that all fans are spinning when on.