Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Elite is awesome in VR and is the sole reason I bought an Oculus. Popping out of hyperspace while a star rushes to greet you never gets old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

If you’re looking for a “game,” Elite probably isn’t it. If you want an awesome spaceship simulator, especially in VR, Elite is the shizzie.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Anyone play Obduction? I’m a fan of Myst and the ideas of a VR successor tickles my weenus.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The Walrus posted:

the only way that resolution is actually per eye this is if this is a Monoculus Rift

Why am i the first person quoting and laughing at this? I giggled.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The Walrus posted:

it was a 3 out of 10 at best but a certain kind of person likes a good 3 out of 10 joke

Just give me three 3’s and a 1 and I’m happy.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Jumping on the Oculus pun train to throw out Oculus Gift: the VR present wrapping simulator you always wanted.

Or Oculus Sift, the gold and gemstone prospecting sim.

And lastly Oculus Lift, the Sim where you carry quadriplegic old men out of burning buildings before their urostomy bags explode and you get covered in piss. Then you’ll be Oculus Pissed.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Songbearer posted:

Looks like they're making progress with Skyrim VR mods, full body awareness is coming along:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyZvlBBWfww

(of course it descends into perving very quickly but whatever)

Apparently Nexus modders believe "burdens" is a Daedric term for semen and desire only to be lore accurate.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I remember reading an article on RPS a couple months back about a Sega Master collection that allows you to play with a virtual Sega system in VR playing classic games. Anyone heard of or tried that?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

homeless snail posted:

It's the Genesis collection, and it's really bad. Lousy bedroom interface to pick your rom that's totally gamepad/laser pointer driven, no hand interaction, and when you load up a game rather than play it on the TV in the bedroom it dumps you into a void theater type environment. You're better off just playing your roms in Bigscreen or something, until emuvr comes out.

EmuVR?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'm glad these $50 dollar cheapo headsets exists. You want people buying into the current Vive and Oculus standards but how do you other wise convince them that for $400 it'll totally be worth it? It lets people dip their toes in the water with minimal risk and I think will ultimately benefit the higher end headset player bases. I want more VR games and this is the way to get the market on board.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Does Elite Dangerous scratch the No Mans Sky itch? I really want NMS in VR but is ED the next best thing?

Elite does some things way way better then NMS. But if you want a procedural planet hiking simulator similar to NMS you’ll be disappointed.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'm 6000+ posts behind on this thread but had a quick question: are there any good, free, virtual theater type apps? Anything that works particularly well with concerts would be a bonus. I've got quite a few concert DVDs and BluRays and would love to get that "in concert" experience as much as possible.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Tom Guycot posted:

I mean, no concert DVD is going to seem like you're at a concert, since its just a flat film thats been shot, but there are several VR theater programs. Probably the easiest to use on the PC is just Bigscreen, in a private room by yourself. Theres also Skybox theater which is quite good, and available on mobile VR systems as well, and virtual desktop will allow you to select theater environments also.

I'll check those out, thank you! Why the "room by yourself" recommendation? I'm using an Oculus on my desktop PC and have other people in the room with me who I plan to shut out and ignore with VR technology. I just want to remain seated and watch Bruce Dickinson run around on stage and not be bothered. That's still doable right?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Tom Guycot posted:

Oh lol, what I meant was Bigscreen is a multiplayer app where you can join with other people together in environments and watch movies, stream your desktop, games or whatever. So I meant create a private room instead of an online public room, unless you want random folks dropping in to watch with you (which can be fun, don't get me wrong).

Holy poo poo it never occurred to me I could watch things with Virtual friends! What a cool idea!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So I'm behind by about 900+ pages in this thread but am jumping in with a question since NMS is about to drop on PC with VR support: I have an Oculus touch. What is the best rechargeable battery method I could get for those controllers? Should I get a few Ni-MH double As and a base charger and just swap them out as I go?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The Walrus posted:

the NMS patch notes are insane btw. it's sounding closer to Star Citizen than Star Citizen will ever be. You can hunt animals gather crops and make bespoke recipes that have unique effects!

Exactly. Elite Dangerous has been my go-to VR app, and the reason I bought an Oculus to begin with. And now NMS may replace Elite as my go to VR game. I'm excited to get home tonight and try it out.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Shine posted:

How much flying do you do in NMS? Would it be worth the trouble to use my cockpit/HOTAS for flight and my open space for everything else, or do you figure flying isn't involved enough to bother with the fancy stuff?

You'd be very frustrated using a HOTAS with this game. It's the most basic of flying controls and if you have a Xbox 360 controller or equivalent, I think that's by far the best way to play.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Any recommendations on best 3rd party headset foam/cloth inserts? My son is using my headset now so I’d like something washable if possible to keep things hygienic.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Am I the weird one for having his Oculus IPD setting set at 58 (the narrowest it’ll go) and being completely comfortable? I could move it a few notches out but anything past 63 or so gets noticeably out of focus for me. I use the Oculus Home green-line-cross-calibration-thing every single time I put the headset on and just having the IPD switch on its tightest setting always puts poo poo into super clear focus. That and the 1.5 SS that I leave on globally.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

SPACE HOMOS posted:

On my Rift the lowest setting 58 was the clearest. Yet when I self measured my PD I came up with 61.5. When I went to the optometrist for my yearly visit they said my PD was 61. On my Index 62 looks the clearest for me.

Our eyeballs must be similarly distanced apart. Do you find, knowing that 61 is the doctors message, that 58 is more comfortable for you still or did you find adjusting it back to what your eyeball doctor said was a righteous thing to do?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

SPACE HOMOS posted:

My PD is 30.5 for both eyes, so who knows.

Holy poo poo do you just have one big eye?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Jack Trades posted:

Bit the bullet and finally ordered an RTX 2060 because my current GTX 1060 can't even manage stable 45 fps in NMS.
Here's hoping that a 2060 would give me stable 90 on at least medium settings.

The 2060 is a good card, but chances are your performance is an issue with the game and not your hardware. Still, I hope it gets better! I'm using a 1080 and not having nearly any of the issues folks are having, and this is with textures, planet, and terrain tessalation set to Ultra and the Oculus Tray Tool configured with a NMS profile having 1.5x super sampling.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

rage-saq posted:

FXAA is a huuuuuge visual quality improvement. TAA looks like rear end and performs like poo poo don't turn it on.

I keep seeing this and it's weird to me because I could have swore that FXAA was the lower quality/worse AA to use and TAA was a low cost way to sharpen edges without blurring the entire screen. TAA looks/works good in Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and Fallout 4 at least. Maybe I'll switch them tonight and see what's up.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

rage-saq posted:

Tech wise maybe, but in NMS VR it looks like total poo poo, it’s like you are looking at your HMD underwater.

Noted. I'm going to give it a whirl tonight just to see.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Cojawfee posted:

Sucks that the OG touch controllers are stuck in a dead tracking system.

My OG Oculus Rift is Eternal!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Are you in a motion capture room? Why is your house green?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Speaking of Big Screen, are there any go-to media players for live shows/concerts? I've got a large collection of live dvd and video releases from my favorite bands and it'd be cool to have like a dark theater type setting where I'm watching a concert on a big rear end screen. Or do they all do that and I just pick?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I have an original Rift and am eye-balling the Rift S. I only play NMS and Elite Dangerous with this so I'm not interested in roomscale poo poo. Couple of quick questions:

1. The Rift S only has one lens instead of two right? Does that mean it'll run better on the same hardware? Even at a higher resolution it seems like it's overall pushing less pixels.

2. I may have asked this in this very thread so forgive me, but how is the Rift S for Elite Dangerous, particularly making space have deeper blacks and less blurry stars?

Thanks!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

GutBomb posted:

The Rift S has 2 lenses, but just one screen. The original rift has 2 screens. That's all just spec sheet stuff you would never notice though in actual practice unless your eyes are either really far apart or really close together. It's pushing more pixels than the original rift, but a lower refresh rate so fewer frames. Performance is about the same. It's great for Elite Dangerous. You've got trade-offs though. The visuals are much sharper, but blacks are not as black, but it' still dark, still looks like you're in space, and the increased resolution and sharpness makes up for it.

Blacks are even brighter than the CV1? That's crazy, they're a dark grey at best on that system.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

GutBomb posted:

it's only noticeable if you do a side-by-side comparison. It still looks blackish and dark.

My son is getting one for xmas, I'll compare it with mine and see if I want to make the leap, or just get a RTX 2080 instead and then bump up the super sampling while waiting for the next Oculus.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

GutBomb posted:

A Rift S will get you better quality visuals than a 2080+Rift CV1 with supersampling.

And my trusty ol' GTX 1080 will work just fine on it?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Infinite Karma posted:

The difference in sharpness on the kind of small text you see in cockpits was night and day between the CV1 and Rift S. Enough to turn virtually unreadable into clear text. Better for god rays too. The displays were a pure upgrade to my not great eyes.

I look forward to comparing my son's new set to my old one. I can see everything in the Elite cockpits crystal clear, and since I haven't seen what sharper VR can look like, I have nothing to compare it to.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Yea, I haven't been on a "don't upgrade Windows yet" kick since...XP? I mean it's been mostly fine since then, at least personally I've had no issues. It's a poo poo ton more stable now than it ever used to be, and if something goes wrong, it's pretty easy to figure out.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Wait...what's happening? I can't watch that at work and I'm trying to work out getting my son VR for xmas. So the Quest is the go-to now?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

With the Quest having pc-tethering now, will it also be able to leverage it's own processor to boost game performance? I'm guessing not, but worth an ask.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

mashed_penguin posted:

Maybe its a displayport to USB-C cable. They weren't that specific about the exact type of cable. If its just USB to USB then they would have to be doing some kind of video stream just with less latency and compression that the 3rd party stuff is doing with wireless.

It really depends on what the hardware on the quest is capable of in terms of interface.

PC tethering is kind of exciting. That would turn the quest into a mobile-but-also-not complete game system similar to Switch as well as merge the game libraries. Is ALVR that thing that lets you stream PC games to quest over wifi or whatever?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Has anyone here used the Quest? How's the display quality? On paper it looks like it'll be really sharp.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

What's a Vader Immortal?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

All that shiny VR goodness and I just want better Elite Dangerous and No Man's Sky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Combat Pretzel posted:

72hz, gently caress that poo poo. Another regression in that department.

Is it really that bad? When I get reprojection at 45fps, I barely notice unless I'm scrolling through text. A lower framerate that isn't constantly cut in half should be just fine.