Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
I think this was answered previously but you can't just get a Reverb and buy the Index controllers to use with it, can you?

I've got a Rift and the SDE and low resolution just kills it for me. Looks like Rift-S is only a minor upgrade in that regard and Index is another minor upgrade from there visually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

rage-saq posted:

Yes. I’ve been using my knuckles and Vive trackers daily on my rift for a few weeks, it’s actually a pretty solid setup but you might as well just buy an index kit because it will be $100 less expensive and is better than the reverb anyways.
Index HMD = 499, Reverb = 599. The other parts required for knuckles are the same as attaching knuckles to the Reverb.

Looked at the linked content here showed in lens pictures of the reverb and it looked noticably higher resolution and almost no SDE, or none, compared to others. https://twitter.com/mixedrealityTV

Also it has inside out tracking, which I'd prefer, though if I mixed it with index controllers I'd have to have the external sensors anyway.

2160x2160 per eye is a big jump in resolution.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Yeah, doing the math, it's a bigger difference than you'd think just looking at the resolution, because the resolution doesn't account for the number of subpixels.
Rift (RGBG Pentile):
Pixels: 2160x1200 = 2,592,000 pixels
Subpixels: RGBG => 4 subpixels per two pixels = 5,184,000 subpixels

Rift S (RGB LCD):
Pixels: 2560x1440 = 3,686,400 pixels
Subpixels: RGB => 3 subpixels per pixel = 11,059,200 subpixels

Pixels: Rift S = Rift * 1.4222(repeating)
Subpixels: Rift S = Rift * 2.1333(repeating)

And Quest, for good measure:
Quest (RGBG? Pentile):
Pixels: 1600x1440 = 2,304,000 pixels
Subpixels: RGBG => 4 pixels per two pixels = 4,608,000 subpixels

HP Reverb (RGB LCD):
Pixels: 4320x2160 (9,331,200 pixels)
Subpixels: (27,993,600)

Through the lens shot of a cockpit in Reverb:

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Enos Cabell posted:

Any chance there is this same shot on the other headsets? That's at the level where it starts to appeal to me as a dedicated sim headset.

Don't know if that exact comparison is in there but this review has some side-by-side comparison shots of the Reverb vs. others:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyeARsSCk2M

For example:

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah.

It's nice and all, but if the optics are poo poo, what good is it? It's a different thing of having an autofocusing imaging apparatus take a picture and having the thing in your face. Latter scenario doesn't seem to be that spectacular as former would suggest, according to latest reviews.

The Index seems to be sort of a middle ground, increased PPD and a wider FOV. Latter is sort of important for immersion and I suppose simulation games (e.g. less need to move your head to look into the side mirrors in a car sim).

And if the Index 2 continues the a la carte upgrading as this round, there's a "cheap" way to upgrade within an ecosystem with best tracking (for now). So long it won't take too long for an Index 2 to show up. Eye tracking and 2K+ panels would a warrant an update.

Watch the review I linked, the reviewer discusses the optics. Plus this thing only costs $100 more than the Index HMD alone anyway so if you got this + the rest of the Index setup you can still upgrade to the Index HMD2 or whatever if/when that comes out.

Or not, if you're happy with the Index get the Index.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

rage-saq posted:

There are people who have used both the index and Reverb and say that between the green crush and poorer optics the Index is the superior HMD. Then you also have the tracking, mechanical IPD, higher refresh rate and wider fov and not having to deal with WMR.

Are there through the lens shots of Index comparing it to others (Rift/Vive at least)? SDE really annoys the poo poo out of me and if I can see it without trying (like the with the Rift) then it's not something I'll use.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Combat Pretzel posted:

The Odyssey+ is Pentile, right? If so, the increase in subpixels in the Index should make up for the higher FOV, so I guess it will do OK?

Yeah, the Odyssey+ is AMOLED pentile display at 1440x1600 each eye.

Also, found this handy chart on Reddit:

The "Total Pixels" column is per eye.

From here: https://www.reddit.com/r/vive_vr/comments/bma93k/hp_reverb_cockpit_through_the_lens_im_sold/

e2: Think those numbers for the Rift are off because he's using tested FOV for the RIFT and assumes no pixels were cut off by the FOV being below stated FOV while using stated FOV for the rest, so it makes the Rift's PPD & SPD numbers look higher than they should be.

RandomBlue fucked around with this message at 20:08 on May 12, 2019

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Tom Guycot posted:

Isn't that backwards? If he's using larger FOV numbers for the rift-s than what it would end up being tested at, the PPD/SPD would be even higher since they'd be over a smaller area. They wouldn't just be pixels cut off more than any other headset.

That's basically what I was saying, my point was he's mixing stated FOV with tested FOV for some and so those comparison numbers may not be accurate if other HMD's stated FOV numbers aren't accurate.

Hadlock posted:

Wow, an I reading that correctly? The HP Reverb has 50% more subpixels per degree than the next closest competitor? That's probably borderline sharp enough to use a text editor with at normal font sizes.

If the Reverb's manufacturer stated FOV is accurate, yes. See the comparison pictures I posted on the last page, the text is much more legible on the Reverb image.

I plan on buying the Reverb through Amazon and if the other visual issues end up being an issue for me I'll return it and eat the restocking fee if there is one.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

rage-saq posted:

Straight image quality of panel

How exactly are you making this claim?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

mashed_penguin posted:

Ars had a hands on with the reverb https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/05/a-tale-of-two-inside-out-vr-headsets-the-400-oculus-rift-s-600-hp-reverb/

Tons of dots but combined with not so great optics means a lot of those dots are wasted.

I'd rather have the center of my view be crisp and a slight blurry periphery than deal with SDE and a lower res overall.

I'd have more confidence in the Index if there were through the lens comparison shots.

Anyway, I ordered the reverb for now, I'll post my opinion once it's arrived and I've had a chance to play with it. Not sure when that will be though.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Hover posted:

Hey, uh, I hear Stacksquatch, the game I've been working solo on for a few years, has some good early reviews <_< It's single player but it's something very different from another shooter and isn't nearly popular enough to be like Beat Sabre! https://store.steampowered.com/app/937090

It's also not released yet so let me know if you're interested. I should get more beta testers for a build I'll have in the coming months.

:treemike:

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Hamelekim posted:

Interesting screen comparison video for those interested in rift-s vs rift and vive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_Te2Kn4ggg

Looks like he's got the camera focused better in the Vive than in the Rift-S and Rift, though some of that is probably the optics. Vive looks like it's got the least blurry video, though Rift-S has less SDE but SDE is still fairly noticeable to me in that video, especially just around the center of the screen.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Bremen posted:

On the other hand, blurriness has the known side effect of reducing SDE. So really, it mostly just shows that it's really hard to capture the clarity of a headset without demoing it yourself.

Agreed. It's an extremely frustrating situation for consumers given how difficult it can be to find someplace to demo them and even then you need quite a while to ensure you've got it configured properly and get a feel for it.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Zero VGS posted:

You can't even see the people who are cringing at you so they basically don't exist. You're like a virtual ostrich.

Ostriches are huge assholes so this checks out. :)

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

sethsez posted:

The Vive Focus Plus has worse tracking and is double the price.

More importantly, a platform is more than just its hardware. If power and capabilities were all that mattered then the Tapwave Zodiac would have killed the GBA, but unfortunately a successful platform also needs wide distribution and continuous releases of content people care about.

The Quest has no meaningful competitors, and it's going to take a company with a massive pre-existing platform to change that, like Nintendo, Sony or Apple. Google had their chance but they can't focus on anything for longer than two years.

Loved my Zodiac. :rip:

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Tom Guycot posted:

First really detailed review I've seen of the HP Reverb:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeqJjICyzeo

TLDR;
Resolution is amazing and unparalleled, like a look into the future of VR. Sweet spot though, fairly small and blurs quickly out of the center, black levels and contrast significantly worse than the Rift-S, reprojection even in rec room with a 1080, WMR controllers still hot garbage and bring down the whole experience. Very recommended for dedicated Sim setups where you're not using the WMR controllers.

EDIT: Oh, and apparently has some heavy mura issues, but they're not sure yet if thats a problem with their pre-release unit and if that will be fixed.

From this review, this is why I want the Reverb (with Valve's controllers):

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Can we stop posting through the lens reviews? As anyone who owns an OG rift can attest, it doesnt actually look like that.

I own an OG Rift and that's close the quality of visuals I get out of it which is why I don't use it.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Honestly the robot in the trailer was probably the most amazing VR experience I've had to date. The Rift (and all the lower res HMDs) shines in enclosed environments because they don't have the resolution to properly support wide open spaces in my experience.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

AndrewP posted:

On one hand I want to take the Quest outside to a big space and move naturally.

On the other hand do I really want to be seen playing VR outside

If you can't see them, they can't see you.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Has anyone plugged a quest into a pc to see what happens?

My god man, are you INSANE?!?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

8one6 posted:

I got a solid 3 hours from the quest before I got the low battery alert, so the estimated play time is pretty much on target.

That said can anyone recommend a good USB C power brick with a belt clip?

*buys cordless VR headset and immediately attaches a cable and a 50lb battery backpack* :)

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

SCheeseman posted:

I've already paid for Minecraft like 5 times!

LOL, true.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Tom Guycot posted:

I'm a good girl so I payed money for GearVR minecraft then used a program to copy the installer so I could side load it onto my go.

You wouldn't download a car would you?

Could you list the steps you took for this so I don't have to reinvent the wheel? Broad steps like where you bought it, how you got the installer and what program you used.

Decided to get a Quest and cancel my Reverb order and see how I like it.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Tom Guycot posted:

[snip awesome info]

Thanks, I'll give a shot.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Unlucky7 posted:

I checked in with the place I got my glasses for my IPD and apparently it is 59.

I am at work away from my Rift S so I can’t check myself, but I did a bit of looking and apparently there was a brouhaha about it supporting a smaller IPD range and mine is just below the minimum. I am experiencing a touch of blurriness but nothing overwhelmingly uncomfortable on the default setting, but I am wondering if it will be suboptimal for me.

I max out the adjustment on the Quest, which isn't a surprise because I have a huge head and wear a size 8.5 helmet. Haven't measured my IPD yet. SDE was immediately noticeable for me but it's better than the Rift of course.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Didn't see it in the OP but wha are you guys using to clean your lenses?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

punished milkman posted:

PSA: if you try to install the oculus software on a drive other than C:\ with the Win+R trick, and then cancel the installation half way through, it will totally gently caress any subsequent attempts at installing into that other drive. The software apparently hides a bunch of junk across your system as it's doing the installation that will mess up any follow up attempts at installing. do not make my mistake

(i cancelled my install because it was eating up all my bandwidth while playing mordhau... )

Well now you know you son of a bitch.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Wife has stolen Quest, send help.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

DisposableHero posted:

Yep. Its good for the hobby. Thank you for your service. My wife hasn't gotten into it yet but that's just because our kid is one and at least one adult's gotta stay in the real world.

I think it's my opening to get a Reverb and a Quest and have the best of both worlds.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Enos Cabell posted:

Hate to say it, but my big dumb head is slightly too big for the Quest I think. Can't get the top strap adjusted far enough out for it to get down around the back of my head all the way. It's a pretty big difference going back and forth from Quest to Rift, hoping we get some third party strap options before long.

Your head must be gargantuan then because it fits my huge head and my hat size is 8.5 (4XL). You sure you have all the straps fully pulled out? The top one can get stuck while trying to loosen it and they should all be loose until you get the back strap positioned correctly.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

NRVNQSR posted:

With the Rift I've always found the proximity sensor was too sensitive to false positives from the strap for this to work - obviously the headset doesn't have batteries in that case but it runs down the controllers really fast. The Quest's strap design might be better for that, but personally I would turn it off overnight anyway.

The head strap o the Quest doesn't droop down, it's designed so that the back part of the strap/cradle lifts it up, probably to prevent the problem you're talking about. I've had no problems just leaving my on and letting it sleep.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Looked like noticeable lag between his movements and what was shown on screen, though that might've just been a bad job of splicing those videos together. Would really like this or something similar to work really well because I have a lot of PCVR games I bought for the Rift.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

s.i.r.e. posted:

Someone made a comment in the video about Oculus should have just acquired TPcast, and they're right. Would the old TPcast for the Rift work with the Rift S?

No, I just checked.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Hadlock posted:

Is TPCast Air software only, like commercial grade alvr, or is it supposed to be a full hardware software solution with a transmitter (and possibly reliever?)

There's nothing attached to his Quest so that should mean it's a software only solution, which would be awesome.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Ciaphas posted:

So uh, is the Rift S supposed to not stop being on and listening when I close the rift application? I have to go into Services and stop OVRService to get things back to normal.

Rift was like that too back when I used it.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

admiraldennis posted:

Anyone playing Dance Central? I'm the Producer & Development Lead for the title; I'd be interested in your thoughts. (Always speaking personally here, never for Harmonix, etc, etc.)

I'm loving my retail Quest. So fun to finally play other games on it :). It's perfect for showing VR to new folks. But also it's so simple I find myself picking it up instead of my Rift or Vive for short sessions cuz I don't even have to play with the PC and having no wires honestly rules.

Probably picking up a Rift S too for the res and optics bump and cuz it's easier on my glasses and it's harder going back once you get used to it (been using one at work for a while). I can't say I don't miss the easy headphones of the Rift though (or the Vive w/ the Deluxe Audio Strap).

I haven't tried out Dance Central yet, but how big is the difference in SDE between the Rift S and the Quest? To me the Quest still has very noticeable SDE.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Those flat buttons are easy to miss, there's one on each side and the left side is usually the game menu and the right is the Oculus button that will ask if you want to quit or resume.

In same games you can press and hold the Oculus button for a second or two to recenter. Does that work in all games?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Stick100 posted:

Thanks for the info I was getting ready to try Riftcat this weekend but maybe I'll try ALVR instead.

FYI I ran into an issue when installing ALVR where SteamVR was only partially working and rebooting fixed it. If Steam Home takes a long time to launch and/or you can't launch any games then you probably need to reboot before using it.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Zero VGS posted:

I was gonna ask... you felt like Riftcat was more than 60ms? Seemed like way less to me, maybe 20-30 tops. AVLS displays all the latency values? I'll try it when I get back to my proper PC rig on Tuesday.

edit: actually, does anyone know of a PC VR game that will run on Intel integrated graphics? Maybe Superhot or Virtual Desktop? I recall the WMR Home was supposed to run ok with that.

ALVR requires you have a video card that supports nvenc, basically an nVidia GTX 10 series or newer. Riftcat might require that as well. You have to have fast hardware video encoding for these kind of tools to work well.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
FYI, don't try to charge your Quest while using ALVR/Riftcat/etc... as the USB 3.0 connector causes wifi interference even at 5ghz. Was seeing major issues until I remembered USB3 conenctions can cause that and unplugging the charger fixed it instantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
I've only run into a couple of glitches:

1) The Oculus app telling me it couldn't connect to the HMD while showing it was connected to the HMD and I had to reboot the Quest to fix it (killing the app and restarting it didn't work)
2) Vader going to black screens in the middle of playing but the menu could still be brought up and restarting from a checkpoint fixed it but of course you lose your progress

Also had minor issues with tracking but it's expected stuff other people have mentioned like pulling back the slingshot in Angry birds and getting one had too close to the face.