Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Lemming posted:

I'm trying to setup my joystick controls for Warthunder and I noticed that they have default configs for a bunch of different joysticks, so I thought it would be smooth.

It uses hat switches on the throttle for yaw/pitch/roll and the joystick for throttle. The gently caress?

Never use presets, just use the setup wizard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Extortionist posted:

I've seen conflicting reports on this--is there a way to get War Thunder working in the Vive right now? If so, is there a current guide for it?

Download war thunder, enter launcher, turn on oculus rift mode, leave launcher, insert ReVive into War Thunder folder, drag Aces.exe onto ReVive injector x64. Done.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Wow, I didnt know they were supplying retail stores instead of preorders. That is scummy to the extreme. As much as the headset might actually be pretty good, they are bad at business sense.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Knifegrab posted:

If anyone has any new vive titles they think are worthwhile let me know.

Yeah, we seem to be hitting the usual launch issue of not having many new games. June will be good though.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I thought this was the thread for both sides to just fling poo poo at eachother until the true savior of VR, PSVR, releases since both the Rift and the Vive are kinda cool but not really all there yet.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

r0ck0 posted:

Where is the vive thread?

Here. We may look grumpy buy we don't bite, mostly because our vives are too big and bulky to support any kind of smiles.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I don't think he was being serious. :ssh:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

What the hell are you talking about? Do you live in some sort of fantasy world?

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I don't think he was being serious. :ssh:

can we please settle down

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Hamelekim posted:

Doesn't look like it has Vive support. Do we know if that is being added in the future?

I just nearly beat it with the Vive. It works perfectly well and is a decent game. I recommend waiting until EA is done though since there are massive balance changes needed along with many smaller issues that add up to a somewhat annoying experience.

Ciaphas posted:

HotDS makes me really really want either a vive or rift, like, right now

Guess I should research the two about now and see which I want

Get a Vive if you have room for roomscale, a Rift if you're only going to do cockpit games and other seated/standing games.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Jarmak posted:

I'm just popping in to rant again cause I'm loving pissed, gently caress HTC and I hope someone else comes out with alternative roomscale product so these fucks can finish the death spiral they were entering before they made this deal with Valve.

Some rear end in a top hat must have nicked it during the delivery process. Going to small claims court is a waste of money, you should do as Lemming says and just chargeback and give someone else the money.

Jarmak posted:

Kind of tempted to do that I guess my main worry would be that the chargeback would cause them to actually get off their rear end and ship and and then have them try to make me pay for both.

If they do that, then just send them the first one back or just resell it and maybe get a profit.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

I can make the room but I'm not 100% sure I'd want to do that on a regular basis (I'd have to move my couch and insanely heavy coffee table and probably a rug for safety)

I guess I'd have to try it to see if I'd like roomscale stuff, but I'm not sure there's anywhere I can demo that??

Roomscale is true VR. There's nothing quite like it. Space Pirate Trainer alone beats anything that the Rift has. A 2x1.5 meter space is the bare minimum but if you can do more it's even better. The Vive can also do everything the Rift can while also being able to do Roomscale out of the box. If you buy a first generation headset, buy a Vive.

However I'll also give you the best advice that anyone in this thread can give: Don't buy first generation VR. It has so many issues that simply will not be present with the second generation headsets.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Lemming posted:

You'll also run out of stuff to do really fast. There's no harm in waiting right now, it's not like getting a new CoD ripoff or whatever and having the community die after a few months, there's not much to do and you can see it all in a few weeks, pretty much. If you have a friend with one, try theirs out.

After VR Pool came out there is now infinite content as Pool is the true endless game.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Poetic Justice posted:

If you aren't like totally dying for VR right this instant, I would at least wait until Oculus releases Touch later this year and then you can do a more informed and fair comparison between the Rift and Vive.

I disagree, even with Touch this first Rift is going to stay behind the Vive for roomscale, and right now all the best VR games are either cockpit or roomscale. You can make an informed decision on this based on whether or not you have space for roomscale, or would rather just play cockpit games. I'd much rather use a Rift for things like War Thunder and for driving games, but Budget Cuts, Vanishing Realms and Space Pirate Trainer are glimpses into what great VR will become.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Poetic Justice posted:

Brother . . .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEhOivWqGmA

that's with two crappy usb1 extension cables.

But there is no chaperone or a front facing camera. That isnt safe, and doesnt come straight out of the box.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

ShadowMoo posted:

So it basically requires you to have 3 friends who also have VR headsets. I guess it might work if goons start splitting up 4-packs. This doesn't seem like the sort of thing you would want to pug though. And it would get dull once you have done all the set pieces.

PUGs in VR aren't as bad since you'll see other actual human beings and so they're less likely to be poo poo. Most VR users are pretty cool.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Audioshield is the absolute best thing for the Vive right now due to its infinite content and how well most of it syncs up.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

It's mostly for those who really enjoy the music they like and if that music melds well with the track generation. I was totally sold after playing Hopes and Dreams from Undertale, which translated very well to their beat maps.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Phuzun posted:

If this turns out good, I might actually play and enjoy a Fallout game. I think VATS will work well in VR, ensuring you don't need to be super quick about combat. I played Alien in VR and most complaints could be linked to the tight environment, so having a more open game with pausing combat would be huge comfort improvements.

Why'd you use VATS when you can just point and shoot. VATS is taking the fun out of shooting.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

It looks fun, but might be barfy and doesnt seem like a really good VR game. It doesn't immerse you in being a bird, therefore weakening its bird cred.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Only issue with commercial VR compared to the DK1/DK2 days is a reduction in the number of cool demos and an increase in paid demos of the same length as the old smaller demos and free games. Why'd anyone pay that much money for something like Raw Data or any of the Oculus exclusive games? VR gaming is expensive as hell.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

It's too bloody hot to play any games in VR here in the UK, highlighting the biggest issue with the hardware as it is. However, it comes with the unintentional incentive to actually go outside instead of playing videogames. So, good job VR? :confuoot:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

That is amazing and may fix the crippling boredom of Elite.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

SanitysEdge posted:

Is there a way to get amazon prime streaming music into audioshield?

No, but there's a way to get Youtube to. I saw it on r/vive somewhere, if you want to find out more just search for it there. r/vive is probably the best source for any Vive stuff.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Just trace over the furniture. I don't know about any software ways to trick it, but you can still paint boundaries above the furniture.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Pi Mu Rho posted:

(I actually have no clue what you meant)

If you own a life size Kylo Ren and don't know who Adam Driver is, one would have to question why you own a life size Kylo Ren.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Honest Thief posted:

The scanned space needs to be free of clutter, how well does Vive work with furniture and in general?

It only deals with walls. Just dont be an idiot and remember things.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

Console warriors who have cemented themselves into team Vive. Every time Oculus does something bad, they run to reddit to spout a bunch of hyperbole that Oculus is finally done for. Then everyone forgets about it.

Eh, it killed off a lot of early Oculus adoption and bumped up Vive support quite a bit. It got quite a few people to switch their Oculus preorders for Vives. Oculus will never be done for since they have Facebook money, but it's highly likely that the Vive will be the "winner" for Gen 1 on PC by a fair enough margin. Then again, I think the PSVR is the one that'll end up selling the most units since it's the most easily accessible to ordinary people who don't know computers.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Cockmaster posted:

Please tell me they're planning on implementing Touch support for that.

Why bother with Touch when Vive already exists and is implemented?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Kazy posted:

Because touchpads as joysticks suck. :v:

They're great. Steam Controller's great, and so are the Vive pads. Why? Because nobody uses them just as joysticks. They can serve numerous functions, which is much better than feeling around for buttons like with the Hydra.

Grip button sucks on Vive though.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Warbird posted:

I got in, but didn't realize it didn't have Vive support. I'll try and remember to add that Discord channel. Wasn't there one for Multiplayer VR games, or was that just for Vive owners?

That's this one. I made it with Vive in mind (Specifically Onward) but Rift users could join too for racing games/flight sims.

Can you use ReVive on V, or does that just not work?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

AndrewP posted:

Posts like this puzzle me. I have always been under the impression that VR was sort of the end goal for video games.

It's just the natural evolution of media. Tell a story/show a world via a play, a book, more recently through moving pictures and then through pictures that you can move in stories you affect. Now, you get to be in the stories.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Blue Star posted:

Whats the point of a FPS in VR?

Pointing and shooting with a gun. Actually pointing. Onward is amazing, and things like Space Pirate Trainer make you feel like Neo in The Matrix.

Blue Star posted:

platformers, RPGs, strategy games, or puzzle games translate? You have to think about this and it looks like nobody has.

There are examples of all of these. Some are fundamentally different, some just have different effects. Some aren't that good, like Lucky's Tail, but there's this japanese one that's apparently quite good. For RPGs we have Vanishing Realms (actual sword combat) and Chronos (apparently quite good), strategy games we haven't got that much right now but there's this one called Quar which is meant to be alright, and things like Ruse could be ported well. Puzzle games? A lot of them are out. You've got your "puzzle" games in the form of Job Simulator, what would in the past be a point and click in the form of The Gallery, building games like Fantastic Contraption, the list goes on. That's without mentioning Tabletop Simulator being quite literally a space to play any tabletop game.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I think Giant Bomb's VR videos are poo poo because they do literally no research. Everyone should at least inform themselves on the basics of a game. If they did Onward, they'd pan it since they'd be horribly confused, just as they did Hot Dogs, Horseshoes and Hand Grenades even though it's a great game.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Games like Raw Data make me feel like I'm getting to little of a response from VR. I don't ever get a fear reaction, just a "Oh, gotta push button to kill thing" feeling. It's still firmly a game to me, not a heart-pounding sweat inducing nightmare.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

poo poo, i knew i shouldn't have played that gta game, now i'm a mass murdering torturing satanspawn

In all seriousness, it's like that for everything including what'd cause motion sickness usually (Though going into a stall in War Thunder for the first time somehow did trick my brain into thinking I was going to die) and I feel kinda disappointed that I don't get those jumps and shakes that others do.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Bobcats posted:

Onward looks awesome. How does it handle sights and aiming with two hands?

You pick up the gun, you move your arms, put them to your eye and pull the trigger when you want to make dead people.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Zsinjeh posted:

I've been avoiding the Dolphin VR (Nintendo Gamecube VR emulator) since I found out the dev was a racist since way before this election got started back in DK2 days.

Thought that was widely known, but in case anyone wants to add more devs to their big whiteboard of Politically Active ones, check his recent comments, he's going full on Praise Palmer https://www.reddit.com/user/2EyeGuy

There's no issue with them being racists so long as they aren't using company funds for their racism. If that was the case, then nobody should buy Rimworld. Plus, Dolphin VR is free, so why wouldn't you use it?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Mordaedil posted:

:stare: What the gently caress happened?

People can hold any opinion they have so long as they don't force them upon others. There's nothing in DolphinVR that discriminates upon ethnicity, gender or religion. Let the dev have whatever views they have, no matter how close-minded they may be.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Helter Skelter posted:

He has a right to his lovely opinions, and I have the right to not want anything to do with him as a result, however tangential the association.

I guess, does seem silly to me to not use a decent program. Dolphin VR is great for many games, such as Metroid Prime 3, House of the Dead and Mario Kart, and since it's a totally free program it's a no-brainer to me that you should chuck in the CDs and emulate from disc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Zsinjeh posted:

If you like mil-sim games like Arma OnwardVR is a must-have. I'm having so much fun, absolute killer app for all of VR. I already have 24 hours.

I would probably wage you'd love it even if you don't like Arma style gaming, just as an fps the added level of reload and communication is amazing.

Speaking of, I'd like to start an Onward Goon game today, in an hour. (21:00 UK time) Join the Vive Goons discord to join in.

fenrif posted:

I just got a VIVE yesterday. Set it up and had a go of the lab. Now I need more games. I've got nearly everything that's free downloading as we speak, so take them as a given.

What are some must-plays? I'll drop cash on antyhing as long as its not £40 for a 30 min "experience."

Shell out for Onward and join us. It'll be a good opportunity to pick up how to play the game.