Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope

Poetic Justice posted:

Oh man, I'm dumb, I didn't even think of that.

Me neither, and I'm using the Vive, so I should be able to just use the SteamVR Home->"Desktop" view to go through the desktop menus. Good thinking!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope

StarkRavingMad posted:

Pinball in VR is surprisingly cool

Which game have you been playing? I tried this fanmade thing Future Pinball and it was pretty cool once I got it set up how I wanted. I sorta want to build a pinball controller for it.

BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope

..btt posted:

I wonder how many seconds the battery lasts for.

I think I read it lasts 1 hour and you can hot-swap the main battery with a replacement because it has a short term backup battery that will bridge the gap.

BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope
The Source 2 update for Dota2 was pretty recent, and wasn't really necessary (they didn't add any really special features or anything when they made the change). And they just added support for the Vulkan graphic drivers in the past month or so. Seems odd to give up on Source 2 after so much work. I've got my fingers crossed they release it when they release their VR game.

I thought the Robot Repair part of The Lab was done using Source 2?

BossTweed fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 2, 2016

BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

But there is no chaperone

Why does it matter if there is chaparone now?

BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope
^^ I have a i5-2500k and a GTX 960 and I am planning on getting it. I will report back once I try it out and let you know if I have similar experiences. With the Vive, my 2500k has been a limiting factor for a fair number of games, so it might be a game that uses a lot of CPU.

Mordaedil posted:

A chaperone prevents you from walking into furniture or hitting walls or tables accidentally.

My point was that it doesn't matter if they have it now, Rift doesn't have motion controllers. Once it does, it will support chaperone in any games that support OpenVR, and Oculus can create their own chaperone system before then if they want to as well.

I think chaperone is great and agree that you need to set up a buffer between it and your walls/whatever. Sometimes I wish there was an option to set your ceiling height, but I'm not sure how valuable that would be since it might come on all the time since my head is less than 1 ft from my ceiling.

The front camera is nice, but I rarely use it, so I don't think it would be a dealbreaker for me if everything else was equivalent or better in a system that didn't have it.

BossTweed fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jun 8, 2016

BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope

That looks really cute, I'm wondering how fun the gameplay is though. I'll check out the demo.

BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope
Pretty cool news about Valve releasing some level building tools for VR:

http://www.polygon.com/2016/6/8/11868324/valve-rolls-out-free-vr-creation-tool-for-new-workshop

Looks like they might be releasing the Source 2 Hammer level editor and some documentation to help people get stuff built and released on the Steam Workshop. Hope everyone is ready to enjoy VR reproductions of everyone's VR dens, aka their parent's basement.

quote:

Destinations has the same system requirements as Valve's VR game The Lab and supports any VR headset with motion controls or a gamepad through OpenVR. The software also supports the Steam controller.

quote:

"The Destinations Workshop Tools are the same Source 2 tools we use internally at Valve and that the Dota 2 community uses to create custom games," Bui said. "Creating a basic destination is pretty simple, but it can be a bit more involved to build a photogrammetry scene.

"We’ll have some tutorials to help people get started and that goes over some of the best practices we’ve discovered while building our own content. Actually publishing the destination to the Steam Workshop when a content creator is ready is only a few button clicks."

BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope

BossTweed posted:

Pretty cool news about Valve releasing some level building tools for VR:

http://www.polygon.com/2016/6/8/11868324/valve-rolls-out-free-vr-creation-tool-for-new-workshop

Looks like they might be releasing the Source 2 Hammer level editor and some documentation to help people get stuff built and released on the Steam Workshop. Hope everyone is ready to enjoy VR reproductions of everyone's VR dens, aka their parent's basement.

Here is some more info:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/453170/
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Destinations

First thing I want to try if I have time is to get the Dota 2 map open as a VR world to explore.

BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope

w00tazn posted:

HTC just launched the VIVE business edition, pay 1200 per and you get a support contract. Also no limits.

Looks exactly the same as the Consumer ver other than blue accents.

Yeah, it looks like they threw in some extra face foams, but other than that the differences all seem to be support related.

I played around in Destinations for a few minutes. It seems like a pretty nice setup for people to build their own little worlds for you to explore. They let you control how people move within the world you build (free teleport or teleport to little destination pads), support an easy way to have a floating information popup that can describe where you are, and you can give things animation that can be triggered by your location. I am wondering how complex the animations and triggers can be.

They have a demo with some portal robots and a table with popcorn on it it looks like people might have some fun playing with scale. There is a church door that is super detailed and looks almost as real as you could want, and they have a Mars world too based on pictures taken by the rover. Neat stuff.

BossTweed fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 9, 2016

BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope

Incredulous Dylan posted:

Vive gets here tuesday - woop! Any recommendations regarding mounting methods, etc? I was hoping to be able to have it set up for either my master bedroom or living room and be able to swap, but would prefer not to have to drill holes in both haha. Not sure of how high the boxes need to be.

I used support rods that extend from the floor to the ceiling since they don't have a very big footprint and they fit the ceiling height needed.

http://i.imgur.com/l18tWZ5.jpg

The poles are from harbor freight, so they are about as cheap as they can be without doing something DIY. It was nice I was able to get them at the store locally, too. They aren't particularly high quality, but they are plenty stable for something as small as the lighthouse. If you want something more expensive or for ceilings taller than 114 inches, search for "support rod" or "contractor poles" or similar on Amazon.
http://www.harborfreight.com/2-in-1-support-cargo-bar-66172.html

These are the clamps, you can rotate them around the pole, and the part that has the screw mount can rotate up and down.
http://amzn.com/B00PICAE4C

BossTweed fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Racket: Nx early access is out, it adds multiplayer - http://store.steampowered.com/app/428080/

I tried the demo for this and it plays really nice, definitely worth a try.

If the actual game concept is as good as the visuals/audio/mechanics, it seems like it should be awesome. They mention trying to make it an esport, I could imagine that if they really have a fun game concept to go with the polish. I might end up buying this.