Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah being able to do circlestrafing without having to switch sides every 3 circles is basically the sole reason i got my wireless adapter lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

SEKCobra posted:

Since I have two spare Vive controllers, has anyone experimented with repurposing those? I was thinking I should be able to do some foottracking with them, right?

Yes, this works great with natural locomotion IMO.

What you'll need is a pair of these dongles (you can only order one at a time through steam for some reason :rolleyes:): https://store.steampowered.com/app/530260/Steam_Controller_Wireless_Receiver/
And flash them with the vive tracker firmware like so: https://steamcommunity.com/app/507090/discussions/0/312265473878773762/

I *think* one of the paths there has changed so you need to find either the exe or the firmware file somewhere else. I did it when my index controllers arrived a couple months ago.

Also, get some cheap mobile phone arm holsters, strap them to your ankles, insert trackers, go wild.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

rage-saq posted:

The OLED status doesn’t remotely make the image quality of a Vive Pro comparable to the Index.
The index is still miles ahead wrt image quality due to superior pixel infill (~30% more pixels), superior optics and a superior refresh rate.
The issues with brightness and black levels are complete non issues, the Index is going to be the best visual quality experience headset on the market for a few years.

Yeah I'm selling my vive pro kit and getting an index as soon as there's a wireless option. I haven't tried it but even from outside it looks flat out better despite "inferior" display tech lol

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
someone hack the vive wireless kit to work with the quest usb cable and i'll buy it instantly, goddrat

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It's virtual motion capture, you need trackers for your feet and probably belt in addition to hmd/controllers, then install an app that does the 3rd person angle like https://store.steampowered.com/app/755540/LIV/

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yes, your pc needs to render a second view into your game. It's obviously far less demanding than actualy VR since it can be a 720p30 and be plenty good for youtubs, but it's still an extra thing that needs to be rendered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

RandomBlue posted:

I recall you being one of the main Facebook apologists claiming they wouldn't lock down sideloading, but maybe I have you confused with someone else.

It seemed pretty obvious to many of us at the time when Facebook made Virtual Desktop remove their PCVR streaming capabilities. (from the store version of the app)

neddy is one of the few people making GBS threads on facebook in here while a bunch keep licking zucc boot lol

e: ^^^^ lmao case in point. when your account gets banned it's already too late