Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.
I've seen conflicting reports on this--is there a way to get War Thunder working in the Vive right now? If so, is there a current guide for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Anyone have any ideas on how to move the Vive link box ~30 feet away from the computer? I'm considering a 30' active HDMI cable and maybe 2 15' USB 2.0 extenders--would either of those be too laggy?

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

robostac posted:

Theres a reddit wiki with lists of cables people have used:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/wiki/cables

I'm using the bluerigger 10m USB and Startech 10m active HDMI without any noticeable difference in latency. The HDMI cable is slightly awkward as it's quite thick and not very flexible, so it ends up sticking out when going round corners.
Thanks for this, I got the same USB cable and a monoprice 30' HDMI cable off the list. Other than me plugging the USB in backwards twice and the 30' cable being maybe 6" short of ideal, it works perfectly.

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Tom Guycot posted:

I don't think anyone is a downer, I'd love to play through fallout in VR and I'll buy whatever this is day one if it looks well done, but in the end we're not looking at a game built from the ground up for VR, we're looking at VR support hacked onto a game that came out a year ago. It isn't like hacking in support for VR in something that works straightforward like a driving game, or flight, or space sim either. I'm skeptical of almost anyone bringing an existing game that was developed for 2D with a lineage of gameplay decisions and refinement going back 15 years into VR well.

I'm not saying they can't do it, and like I said I'll be first in line to blast people with laser guns and use a pipboy on my wrist, but I'm just relatively cautious.
I'm hoping that the fact that they have playable demos at E3 now and aren't releasing it until next year is a sign that they aren't just hacking support in.

I think FO4's also probably a pretty good candidate to translate to VR--maybe ironically for the same reasons I think it's not a good FPS. The reliance on VATS in combat should balance out the changes in aiming accuracy and the player's physical skill, and the player's speed could be translated pretty easily for a short-distance teleportation option without breaking the game. Plus the game's incredibly easy as-is, so even if they have to tone down difficulty it probably won't be very noticeable.

At the same time, it's Bethesda, so I figure I'll be both thoroughly nauseated by and thoroughly addicted to whatever they end up releasing.