Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

TomR posted:

Need some truck sim reviews up there.

Edit: Link to the truck sim thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3761915

I said it in the truck sim thread - it looks really neat in ETS and ATS, there's a great sense of space in the cab, but it made me SUPER motion sick like no other game has. I think it is because I instinctually know what driving a car should feel like as opposed to flying a spacecraft or moving in some weird space. Going from like a slow rolling start with no actual sensation of movement was completely :barf:

Chronus is pretty amazing, Outlands is cute and very pretty for free, Darknet is a cool puzzle-ish hacking game, and Crystal Rift seems like a decent, if somewhat limited, dungeon crawler. Subnautica looks super cool in VR (an undersea survival/crafting game) although it's very "early access" in that regard and some stuff is a little hard to read. Same with Solus Project (an alien world survival/crafting game). All worth considering for the OP, I'm not sure how many of those are Rift only.

Also I'm running below specs at the moment (on a 780 until the new video cards drop shortly) and I've been pleasantly surprised that things actually run pretty smoothly at low settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Lemming posted:

I like it better than Venereal Disease because I like having it be a more physical location than hovering in space. I also like the settings for moving the screen around better, VD doesn't give you as many options for positioning. That might change with workshop stuff, but so far it's mostly 360 spheres. It also gives you the option to be in the same room as other people, which works pretty well and is pretty cool.

Thanks for the recommendation on this, it's really cool. I'm posting from INSIDE THE INTERNET right now. Or at least on some weird virtual balcony with a giant curved screen floating a few feet away from my face. It's bizarre but strangely satisfying.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Tomorrow, May 26, bizarre VR social platform AltSpaceVR (altvr.com) is having some kind of live comedy show event between 8-9 PDT. It's free and cross-platform and probably about 90% likely to be a clusterfuck.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Marverick posted:

Rift havers, what's the usual time it takes to receive a shipping e-mail after receiving your processing e-mail?

Got my processing e-mail 10 days ago, money was taken from Paypal the same day but radio silence since. Support told me everything is fine but my order page still says "Pre-Order" so i'm getting kinda antsy.

I think mine was only a couple days. You might want to check with customer service just to be sure something didn't get screwed up.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Flashbackjack posted:

Got my rift. Love the comfort, clarity of the screen and so on, even the god rays don't bug me much.
Only thing is, I get these faint blackish bars on both side of the view, like I can slightly see the edge of each lens, or a double border somehow. No matter how much i fiddle with the headset or change the ipd it remains the same.
I don't notice it that much in War thunder and Assetto corsa, and in other games i can sort of tune it out. Right up until I see them, then it's hard to take focus away.
Has anyone else noticed it?

The only time I've ever noticed anything like that is in a few videos where something is too close to the camera on the side and it kind of doubles up when it's in my peripheral vision. Eyes are weird when you're trying to do this level of trickery to them, I suppose.

I grabbed Technolust last night and that is pretty awesome. I don't know how long it is, and the little adventure gamey puzzles are pretty simple. It's the sort of thing that would be crap as a normal adventure game but there's such a cool sense of place to it that its worth it on that alone.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Pinball in VR is surprisingly cool

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

BossTweed posted:

Which game have you been playing? I tried this fanmade thing Future Pinball and it was pretty cool once I got it set up how I wanted. I sorta want to build a pinball controller for it.

Pinball FX2 VR -- might be Oculus store only right now. From the Zen pinball guys, has three tables, an undersea one, the knight one, and the Mars one. I like the Mars one a lot, it has creepy mechanical spiders walking on the machine while you play it, etc. I hope they put out more tables for it as addons or something.

I'd love to see the Pinball Arcade guys start doing VR conversions.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

w00tazn posted:

Rift Owners: Is the camera supposed to stay on when Oculus Home is running?
I've had issues with getting the camera to wake up after extended downtime and I just now had to restart the service for it to start working again.

I haven't had it shut down on me, even after leaving the system alone for a couple hours while something was downloading. Sounds like maybe the service/driver froze on you for some reason.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

GlyphGryph posted:

Okay, apparently it's just the messaging bit they removed, you can still view posts. I do not use facebook myself so the news was secondhand. If thats still working for you then yeah, it must be a gradual rollout.

I'm actually surprised that they don't have a Facebook Social VR thing up yet. They are planning one, somehow, right?

How can they hope to compete with the majesty of AltspaceVR

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Cojawfee posted:

I forgot about that. I didn't put in too many oculus store games because so far it's all mostly crappy games and phone ports. I'll throw Eve Valkyrie in there.

Darknet, Chronus, Pinball FX2 VR, and Technolust are all also very good, and I think all Oculus store only. I could be wrong on Technolust.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Lemming posted:

Chronos is real and good. Edge of Nowhere is also out on the 6th and looks like a real game.

I hope Edge of Nowhere is good. After Chronus I've been looking for another good 3rd person VR thing (not counting Lucky's Tale since that's more of a platformer) because that was a way cooler experience than I expected.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Mordaedil posted:

Naw, this is the Rift thread, because it's pretty nasty to read this thread if you own a Vive. You are basically told you are self-entitled douche, even when you just want to talk about what is actually going on in the industry and people would rather ignore the current standing for what-might-bes, because that is all the rift has going for it.

Maybe at some point, when cooler heads prevail can the threads consolidate, but as it is, it's pretty rough to be excited about VR if you're just spending time talking about how your choice of HMD is going to one day be made inferior, just you wait.

I have no idea what you are on about (nasty to read this thread if you own a Vive?) as no one in this thread has been bashing either system at all. Most of the discussion in here has been really neutral and either about software, or figuring out problems, or people's initial impressions, and 99% of the comments I've seen about the Vive here are positive. Are you just mad that no one wants to take the bait and turn this thread into another console warring shitfest?

There's no point to spending a thread saying "your VR choice is poo poo"..."no YOUR VR choice is poo poo!" It accomplishes nothing other than maybe marginally justifying your overpriced luxury purchase to yourself (and I mean that for both systems because let's face it, we're all suckers here who bought into questionable bleeding edge tech). You're not going to convince anyone. Although "you're not going to change the other guy's mind and you're wasting your fuckin time" probably applies to 99% of the arguments on the internet to begin with. So why not actually talk about useful information in here rather than rehashing literally the exact same argument that has been ongoing for months, with nothing new added?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I don't think he was being serious. :ssh:

Ah well in that case just forward my above speech to Knifegrab instead :)

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Nalin posted:

Has anybody bought Edge of Nowhere yet? I've been considering picking it up tonight after work and I was wondering what people think about it. I beat Chronos so I'm ready for my next game.

I'm buying it because I love Chronos and I am an ABSOLUTE MONSTER who does not give a poo poo about the VR Wars. It's a near 7 gig download, so I probably won't have any impressions of it until later tonight but if you want to hold off I'll give a review once I've had a chance to put a little time into it.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Gendal posted:

Weird, it's obviously wildly subjective per person and maybe even to that day. I didn't eat much yet. Overall so far I would rate it a bit less comfortable than Lucky's Tale and a lot less comfortable than Defense Grid 2.

I would rate just about any Vive roomscale title as E for Everyone however.

Yeah, I'm not getting any motion sickness from it at all. I'd say I'm kind of moderate in that regard in general. Most games don't give me motion sickness, but some car driving games (ETS/ATS) and certain first-person experiences where the camera moves quickly give me a good dose of it -- Dreadhalls makes me pretty queasy, Subnautica makes me a little ill feeling if I play it for too long. Oddly, while driving games make me sick, space games don't at all. I'd say in terms of camera movement, Lucky's Tale is probably a good point of reference. I'd rank this even more comfortable than Lucky's Tale, at least for me, since the camera here is a little more fixed to your guy.

After playing only around 45 minutes, I do like it a lot, and generally agree with that Kotaku review so far. It doesn't feel to me like it would be interesting without VR (or like it's just a non-VR game in a VR wrapper), since a large part of it is looking around the environments, hearing something coming from the left and swinging your head over there to check out some weird thing, and the immersion of all that. Kind of reminds me of Chronus there -- that game would be a pretty tame third person hack and slash if it weren't for looking around the cool environments in VR. It's not super scary but it does have a good sense of atmosphere. I do wonder if this was originally intended to be a first person game and then they moved the camera back and up into a trailing camera because of motion sickness concerns. Some of the mechanics (he looks where you look with his headlamp, he aims where you look) seem like they might have been first person intended and then changed. They work really well, though.

I think it's cool so far. My biggest concern is the length -- the reviews seem to peg this at 4-5 hours long which is a little steep for a $40 price tag that probably won't have a lot of replayability. General advice might be to wait and see if it goes on sale in the future.

Also props to it for (minor spoiler for the very first section of the game): getting me REAL good with a jump scare like a minute in

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Bhodi posted:

You guys really need to pick up house of the dying sun. It's $17 bucks of goon-made fun and looks fantastic in VR.

Impressions in that thread seem pretty positive, I'll check it out. Could really use a different VR space sim than Elite (which quite frankly is probably better in non-VR so I can watch TV on the side while space trucking).

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Tom Guycot posted:

I guess this is where it's more personal on how much you game. I played Chronos for weeks with 2 runs, I only just finished expert on every mountain in the climb, and I've barely had a chance to get into adrift, or ethan carter at all yet. Pinball I'll play often for a quick fix here and there, elite and euro/american truck sim will suck you in, lucky's tail took a while to 100%, and Farlands I'll come back to every few days and play for a little bit too. So far edge of nowhere has grabbed me like mad and I've played like, 4 hours just in one day. Its kept me busy, with a lot of things still unplayed even, for almost 2 months now. All this is the most I've gamed in years as well, so at least personally, I can easily say this ongoing well, thats still not dry for me, has been easily worth the 600 bucks.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat as this guy, I've found plenty to keep me busy. Also check out Darknet, it's a puzzle/hacking thing that has some nice legs on how much time you can get out of it. Darknet, Chronus, Edge of Nowhere (although maybe short), Pinball FX, Subnautica (a little buggy/early access-y), Elite: Dangerous (although I was already playing this non-VR), Technolust, and Lucky's Tale all at least feel like real games and not just tech demos. I think it helps to some degree that I'm sinking a lot of time into Elite in between the other games, so I've been spending more time gaming in VR than I have outside of it. Although I've said it before, this is definitely emergent tech, and you're spending a ton of money to be on the bleeding edge of things, but at least there is some compelling stuff to do.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Protips for Edge of Nowhere:

You can B out of the journals and the audio will still keep playing while you continue on. I stood around for too long on the first few while he read them.

Crank up the air conditioning in your room or at least have a fan blowing on you.

It gets real loving awesome by the end.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Nalin posted:

I set the game to Medium quality and disabled anti-aliasing. I also turned off reprojection in case that was messing things up (as OVR does ATW automatically). The biggest thing, though, was turning off anti-aliasing.

The game still has stuttering moments, but it is better than it was before.

I haven't played any SteamVR content except for this so I don't know if it is a SteamVR+Rift problem or just a problem with Dying Sun.

Shouldn't be a Steam VR issue, I've played a bunch of stuff through Steam VR on Rift without stuttering (Subnautica and Solus Project for example, both of which are relatively graphic intensive). May just be poor optimization since it's a one man project. Is your system right around minimum specs?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Oh man, InCell is :barf: for me. It looks neat but man is it ever dizzying. At least it was free.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

ryan_woody posted:

I'm surprised they didn't pimp Dead and Buried harder in this press release. I played it at PAX East and it was a loving blast. In other news, I just got my Rift today and am working through EVE, Lucky's Tale, and Elite Dangerous. I'm considering buying Darknet, Chronos, Airmech Command, Defense Grid, and Keep Talking. Should I pass on any of these?

Aside from Chronos (which everyone recommended already), I really like Darknet from your list. Kind of simple puzzle/hacking type game but it has some unlockables and more longevity than a lot of games. Pick up Farlands for free. If you like pinball, Pinball FX VR is good. I like Technolust as well, it's a weird cyber future adventure game thing.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I actually like Big Screen better than Virtual Desktop, even in solo mode. Most of the same bells and whistles and the "you're in some fancy city condo"' environment is pretty chill.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

EdEddnEddy posted:

This.

Multi Monitors is pretty slick in Virtual Desktop, setting up my main in front of me and my smaller one for a browser/netflix/whatever to my left. All iMax sized.

To have multi monitors you actually have to have multiple physical monitors hooked up, right? Or is there a way around that?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Oh cool, I'll have to try that. Thanks!

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

EdEddnEddy posted:

Technically you can fake additional screens in Windows, but it can be a bit goofy.

The 2nd screen here on the right is a fake screen I hit "Detect" then "Connect on VGA" Hit apply, then Extended desktop, then apply again, then I was able to set it up to 1080P. Should look just like another screen in Virtual Desktop.

Ugh, sadly they disabled this in Windows 10.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

teh_Broseph posted:

Yeah should be good; clicked the 'Detect' button I think and got the dropdown menu option of 'connect anyway on VGA' http://imgur.com/CK4JJcx (that right monitor is definitely not physically there).

Weird. I click connect and get no drop down at all, it just says didn't detect another display and gives me no options.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Poetic Justice posted:

I haven't played Darknet, but I completely recommend Chronos for sure.

Darknet is a pretty cool puzzle/hacking game. If you watch Giant Bomb's Oculus launch day video here: http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/oculus-rift-launch-lineup-part-01/2300-11076/ Jeff Gerstmann plays it (skip forward to about the 54 minute mark). Jeff said it might be his favorite game out of the Oculus launch lineup. It's pretty simple and not like graphically wowing aside from a good sense of space, but the VR portion is used smartly and it is just a good, fun game with some decent progression in terms of a few unlockables and increasing difficulty.

Chinaman7000 posted:

Chronos is kinda expensive, but interesting, could someone describe what they like about it and whether they think its worth it?

Chronos is one of the few launch games that felt like a real, full game and not a tech demo. It's sort of a Dark Soul-lite third person game but with a fixed camera. You're fighting tough enemies, needing to block and dodge, you respawn at crystals (like bonfires) with monsters respawned and refilled health items. You unlock shortcuts. It's very cool to look around the rooms and spaces you are in and have that sense of immersion even if it is not first person. It also has some neat leveling up systems - every time you die you age a year, and as you get older it is tougher to upgrade strength and dexterity, but easier to upgrade arcane. I thought it was worth it at full price.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Cojawfee posted:

Highly recommend Darknet. I didn't want to buy anything on Oculus but people kept talking about it. It starts off pretty easy but I can see where it can start getting difficult. It's really cool when you take over a huge chunk of nodes at once. It just looks really cool in addition to being fun. I also bought Hitman Go. It's obviously a phone port but might be fun to play if I'm bored. The problem with casual games on VR is that they aren't very casual. I can take my phone in the bathroom and play Pocket Morty for a few minutes but it's not very casual to have to grab my rift, put it on and then play a game.

Darknet makes you feel pretty cool when you get it down, too. Like you don't have to be super fast to hit the time limits (at least not until higher difficulties that I'm not at yet), but it feels good when you get in a groove of shredding a few smaller nodes in seconds to knock the firewalls off of something.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Mordaedil posted:

I'll go as far as to say time-limits are good and ought to be in more games, but not necessarily all of the time. See Fallout and Majora's Mask, examples of good time-limits.

I think the time limit is necessary in Darknet, too, because there's no other way to lose. Just blowing a single node hack has no consequences other than you wasted time. I'd much rather have this really lenient time limit than some sort of penalty whenever you back out of a node or trip the ice.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

MisterBibs posted:

Many of the games I play have fail states, but since most of the games I play have proper save/reload features, their existence is literally trivia.

e: to be more specific, my annoyance ultimately comes from the game being a puzzle game. You know, where you puzzle poo poo out. You can't even check to see if where you want to start the level will be hard or not, the timer starts immediately.

The timer doesn't start until you enter your first node. You can look around all you want before you get cracking.

NRVNQSR posted:

Almost every major PC puzzle game I can think of from the last few years has had no failure state other than the ongoing state of "you haven't solved this puzzle yet". The Talos Pinciple, The Witness, Infinifactory, Snakebird, Antichamber, Full Bore, Hexcells, et cetera et cetera et cetera. I guess Portal kind of had failure states for its platforming, but even those were usually immediate retries with no loss of progress.

Those are puzzle games like..."can you figure out how this thing works," with designed set levels, where a timer makes less sense. This is more of a puzzle game like Bejeweled or something where the rules are immediately known and the levels are randomized, and the challenge is more figuring out the particular configuration and how to attack it.

I mean, it's a hacking game, are people really surprised there is a ticking clock in there before you get "traced"? The timer gives you some sense of urgency, even though it is super, super lenient. I don't think I've ever finished a hack with less than 10 minutes left on the clock, and that's taking my sweet time.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

MisterBibs posted:

Precisely. You can't look around to find the best node to start on, as even low-level nodes vary widely in difficulty.

Oh I thought you were saying you couldn't look around the whole playfield to figure out the best path to root before the timer started ticking.

Even so, I don't know, the game overall is so easy and the time limit so loose (at least up until around 45%, maybe it gets tight on the highest difficulty), and even the penalties for completely failing a mission are so minimal...I don't know, if people find this modicum of challenge too much, I don't even know how to defend it. I guess it's just not for you.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

wolrah posted:

Definitely NSFW, posted on reddit as "VR porn needs a bit of work": :nws: http://i.imgur.com/jNokYF0.gif :nws:

Don't kinkshame

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Cojawfee posted:

I'm ready for the VR future.

I just got my 1070 in over the weekend and I'm noticing a large difference in some VR stuff. The craziest thing for me is that certain games that were giving me a little motion sickness before now are not, even when I couldn't actually discern any hitching or dropped frames with my old card. It seems like what they say about a solid 90 FPS to avoid motion sickness is true, even when I couldn't actually consciously perceive any framerate issues before.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
How is Dirt Rally, anyone given it a shot? It looks good but the price is relatively high.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Thanks! Maybe I'll check it out. Rally racing sounds fun to me since I get bored of most normal racing games pretty quickly.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

The Unholy Ghost posted:

I'm new here, what's the porn options so far?

Virtual Desktop or Whirligig seem to be your best options for playing, ahem, 3D videos with head tracking.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I'm guessing four is only needed if you have a huge space or something. Setting up your full-on holodeck.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

AndrewP posted:

well, they recently hired someone that actually knows wtf they're doing re: supply chain and all so here's hoping.

I played the free "Mythos at the World Access" (that's the best name you could come up with?) and I haven't finished it but it's really, really cool. You play as some huge monster chained in dungeon and control a dude who comes down to presumably try to free you. Haven't finished it but I hear the ending is a doozy.

You can switch to a first person view of the dude and I was legitimately apprehensive about peeking up and looking at what "I" was.

Oh cool, I'll check that out. I haven't really bothered with anything that is just in the "concepts" section.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Senor Tron posted:

Little VR demo I'm putting together:

I think something is wrong with your mapping there. Looks like that thing is bigger on the inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

AndrewP posted:

aw you bad boy

Hard to believe Touch isn't out yet and doesn't even have a street date. Not doing a whole lot with my Rift right now because all the cool stuff needs hands. What's the hold up?

Well, there's a Touch-required game in the "coming soon" of the Oculus store, listed as releasing in early December. So...before that at least.