Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Last Poet
Oct 9, 2001
A (hopefully) quick question for anyone with a Vive and a Nvidia gfx card, does the headset appear as a connected display based off the port it's connected to ? I can't get the headset to connect (permanent red light) and I'm thinking its bust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Last Poet
Oct 9, 2001

SwissCM posted:

It doesn't detect as a display, no. Make sure the USB is connected (try different ports too).

EdEddnEddy posted:

No it isn't detected as a screen at all.

When you have everything connected, what happens once you launch SteamVR from Steam?
Also did you install the Vive software as well? (think that includes most all the software/drivers needed for the Vive to function)

Thanks for the responses.

USB is connected and i've been through most of the available ports and done the dev remove all drivers thing many times.

I can run Vive home so i guess thats the software.

When i start SteamVR i get the 208 error which i believe is the HDMI connection error rather than the USB one.

The reason i asked about the monitor was one of the errors in the logs says

"VR_Init failed with HMD detected over USB, but Monitor not found (208)"

and i found a setup video that showed it appearing but that may have been a temporary/old setup.

The Last Poet
Oct 9, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

SteamVR is pretty buggy so you might need to try a bunch of things. First off is a restart. A few weeks ago, SteamVR would sometimes refuse to recognize I had the vive HDMI plugged in until I restarted. Next is bypass the link box and plug the HDMI directly into your video card. If none of that works, see if you can get it to work on someone else's machine. Last resort, see if you can use a different HDMI cable to plug into the Vive headset. Where top strap is attached, you can slide that bit of plastic forward until it comes off and unplug the HDMI cable and see if you can get a different one in there.

Lemming posted:

If you didn't do the last part and make sure it's connected firmly to the headset itself do that. I thought mine was hosed at first but it turned out it just arrived with the HDMI cable not firmly attached.

So after wasting an hour with HTC support i had another play around and got it working ! It looks as though it is the HDMI cable between the breakout box and the headset (though i could have sworn i'd tried that before) so many thanks for the idea. What is very weird is that after the headset is up and running i can swap back to the default cable and it carries on working. Very strange. Now to decide what to do about it.