Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
If these Xbox Rift rumors are true, it kinda makes me sad because a Kinect 2.0 (or two at opposite corners of the room) would have been an awesome, awesome roomscale solution, but those things are like political poison to consumers at this point because of the way MS went about pushing the bundles at launch then backing off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Here's some TED Talk on using VR to make schools and science labs better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iF5-aDJOr6U

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I was in Microcenter Boston yesterday and they were selling multiple Vives for MSRP plus MA sales tax. Good way to save on shipping though.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

froody guy posted:

Nope, I'm in EU but that's all good, at least it gives credits to the rumors about this thing actually happening sooner rather than later.

Now the only reason to NOT cancel the Rift preorder is that insane idea of re-selling it on ebay but honestly I'm too lazy for that and it's hard to say if it's still gonna be possible by the end of July and for what profit.

I just sold two of them on eBay a couple days ago for $995 each. There's always people in countries who can't get buy them directly, so they'll always pay $200-300 premium to get it on eBay.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

SwissCM posted:

You mean you broke it while cramming Valve's tech into your SDK?

EDIT: If I sound a bit pissed, you making out Oculus' continuing support of the DK2 as being some sort of favour to your customers as opposed to it being your job comes off as preeettyyyy lovely.

You mad?

A) he's saying they fixed it as soon as they noticed it, seems good enough for me

B) he doesn't work there anymore, it's not his job

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I just thought of something. I can't code to save my life, but can someone here just program a room with 50 shelves worth of LEGOs and a table, then make it work with touch controls? Seems like pretty much every LEGO in existence has a CAD drawing on the internet to import.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I noticed the OSVR 2.0 says it has a dual-screen OLED as the same resolution as the Rift/Vive, but it doesn't mention anything at all about an actual IPD adjustment. Seems like a no-brainer, but I wouldn't take it for granted. Did anyone here/see confirmation of IPD adjustment?

Cojawfee posted:

I feel like they would have to make an entirely new game in order to add VR in to Fallout. Like the guy mentions in the article. Teleporting completely nullifies the need for a sneak skill. You could sneak across a hallway hoping the raider doesn't see you, or just teleport across the hallway. Unless they make the teleport be really loud and have lots of flashing light to make it very obvious that someone is teleporting around. They are going to have to rework a lot of the game to prevent cheesing everything with VR.

You say this like Sneak wasn't the most buggy poo poo in Fallout 4 already...

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Truga posted:

You'd say the same when suddenly half games only worked on a samsung monitor right? Or a radeon GPU? Or, worse, a razer keyboard?

A peripheral is a peripheral, just because Facebook doesn't want it to be doesn't change that.

This analogy doesn't really work in a world where I have to buy specific monitors from specific manufacturers to use adaptive sync with my choice of graphics card.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Tom Guycot posted:

Yeah, that looks like the right game, and hey even made a sequel apparently. Thanks!

They also made a VR-capable game: http://unknownworlds.com/subnautica/

I've heard it is kinda motion-sickness inducing.

I'm acquainted with the founder though and he's a super great guy who bases his whole design philosophy on close attention to player feedback, so they're a good developer to support.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Truga posted:

So because nvidia does something lovely to you, so can oculus? Nice whataboutism.

But no, the analogy works great. You won't get g-sync with your lovely monitor if you buy the wrong card, but the monitor will still work. Just like you won't get ATW through the revive wrapper, but vive will still work just fine. Oculus is just being a poo poo here, no other way around it.

I'm not trying to justify it, I'm just saying you can't act like there's no precedent.

If someone invests in a nice G-Sync monitor they've de-facto locked themselves into buying Nvidia cards for the life of the monitor, and the same goes for a FreeSync monitor and AMD.

"The monitor will still work", yeah no one is going to give up adaptive sync once they've spent some time with it. I can tell you this because I use it and it's the best thing to happen to monitors in decades.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
To play Devil's Advocate, all DRM stores are loving dumb. When Steam started off, I think you had to be online and logged in to launch games, under your own account, and couldn't share games. That was the turning point when we as gamers said "well, this kinda sucks but gently caress it, we'll lock ourselves in to this locked-down monopoly because it's not *too* bad.

Gaben stuck his cock up our collective assholes and now we're all grumpy because Palmer's asking if there's anymore room in there for him too.

Full disclosure, I'm never buying anything from the Oculus store, lol. But VR does need curation and content so I can't bash them for what they're attempting. I'm just going to let them do their walled-garden thing and then buy the games when the eventually hit a Steam Humble Bundle, like I do with all games.

Truga posted:

No, the best thing to happen to monitors is VR. 2nd best that happened is HDR. Adaptive sync is a distant 3rd. Yes, it's a neat thing, but thankfully g-sync is pretty much dead on arrival, since similar freesync screens go for up to $300 less, so nvidia will have to support it sooner or later. Not to mention it's a part of DP1.4 or somesuch. G-sync won't last. Hopefully, neither will Oculus Store.

By the time Adaptive Sync came out, neither of those other things had "happened" on a consumer level. I use FreeSync and now I have no screen tearing and no added input lag from V-Sync, that's a big loving deal for the experience.

HDR could still be a dumb gimmick for all we know, woo bright things are brighter, big whoop. Maybe it turns out to be great, but so far I'd say it's been FreeSync > Ultrawides > VR for the actual quality of life improvements I've had so far with regards to consuming games and movies.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
LeapMotion is cool, and their site hosts 119 demos you can play with: https://developer.leapmotion.com/gallery

wolrah posted:

I'm one of those people who prefers the "Duke" controller on the original Xbox and thinks a Galaxy Note 4 is a nice one-handed device. Now I'm really interested to try the Oculus Touch controls just to see how comfortable they actually are.

But can you palm a basketball?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Michaellaneous posted:

I have that shooting range game. Is there any way to spin the room? It's always in the complete wrong direction from what my VIVE room is.

Is there a possibiliy to reoriantate the VIVE main room?

This won't answer your questions about it, but I'm posting it because it's hilarious and I can't remember if I posted it before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UujtfN7hCdo

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

^^^^^^ I'm more than a little disappointed that Valve is the one doing this, given all Palmer Luckey's talk about fostering the technology over all else. But it's pretty clear at this point that the FB acquisition changed that.

You're disappointed that Valve is (I'm assuming) letting developers keep a larger cut and only pay it off if they succeed? Or you're just disappointed that it's come to this?

Sounds like good news all around to me.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Ciaphas posted:

Yeah I ended up buying Virtual Desktop this morning and if it weren't for the resolution problems I would almost consider unplugging my monitors for how good an experience that actually is

Anyone know if they're still giving out Oculus Home codes when you buy this on Steam?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Cojawfee posted:

You could always just buy it and see. When I bought my Virtual Desktop, it automatically popped up with my Oculus Home key. If it doesn't and you don't want to keep it, you can just get a refund as that is a thing that Steam allows.

Oh I thought you had to email the dev or something, didn't realize it autogenerates. Oculus must be loving that...

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Cojawfee posted:

You could always just buy it and see. When I bought my Virtual Desktop, it automatically popped up with my Oculus Home key. If it doesn't and you don't want to keep it, you can just get a refund as that is a thing that Steam allows.

I was about to buy Virtual Desktop last night and then I remembered to try out that free BigScreen Beta. I know it is intended for streaming with friends, but in offline mode it seems to be a perfectly cool Virtual Desktop substitute. Maybe VD has more bells and whistles but I think I'll wait until the Steam Summer Sale (Paypal leaked it to be June 23).

Edit:

One of the Steam reviews for BigScreen Beta:

quote:

Went into a room with a very chatty american, wrote in notepad that i was touching myself to his voice.

Watched his head lean in and read it.

He quit instantly

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 21, 2016

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
So the Steam sale is up... what are the absolutely must-have titles?

So far the most interesting one to me seems to be Tabletop Simulator, as it's one purchase that can be used for hundreds of games.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Sir Tonk posted:

Yeah and if your frames are too big it's super uncomfortable in the Rift. I've got a really bad astigmatism and playing with contacts is the only way to do it for more than a few minutes.

I feel bad because I'm literally forcing my boyfriend to switch out his glasses with contacts to use my Rift, but I've read that people's glasses are scratching it and I'm horrified of that... I'm going to try some cutting some Saran Wrap or something for the lens since I'm pretty sure it isn't completely flat on the surface.

It'd be awesome if someone could just make a molded, tempered glass that's custom fit for the CV1, like those cheap glass phone protectors.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
So, protip, if you want to protect your CV1 from scratches, I tried just putting Premium Saran Wrap on the lenses. It clings very well, and even though it'll leave a ton of bubbles and seems like it would look like poo poo, it's just so close to your eyes that you can't tell any difference.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Any word from Oculus on when we're gonna see those new facial interfaces? My boyfriend has such a goofy shaped head... he has to max out the IPD, and his face is pretty flat so the mask is resting on his temples, and I can stick my whole hand into the gap in the top of the CV1... plus he's wearing glasses, so it's exerting even more pressure on his temples.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Is there any kind of officially supported CAD program in VR? Or at least something like Fantastic Contraption where you grab and move things around, but with the ability to import models?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

AndrewP posted:

Elite: Dangerous is wild. Stomach jumped at first and I was worried I wasn't going to be able to handle it, but I got used to it pretty quickly. Elite + HOTAS + CV1 is a sweet combination. Love looking around my cockpit. Now... to actually learn how to play Elite.

If you liked Elite, wait until you play War Thunder, I found the air combat in that way more intricate (and more comfortable because you can switch between cockpit and the default 3rd person follow cam). Plus, it has tanks too! And it's free!

For War Thunder, does anyone know if there's a way to move the UI elements during gameplay (map, score, damage window with tanks) all more in towards the center of view? I have to crane my neck to check all of them.

Edit: Also in War Thunder I looked up in my tank and saw bombers overhead, and actually shot one out of my air with my cannon, that's some badass poo poo.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
People on Steam are trying to talk the devs of this game into making it VR compatible. The devs have their reservations about locomotion so I was posting at them saying they should just make it an unsupported feature like in Alien Isolation:

It actually looks scarier than Alien Isolation, which is saying something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvBo_rKleNw

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

FormatAmerica posted:

They also said they'd have "a lot more info about touch" at the upcoming developer conference...in October. :cry:

Full text:

Glad I got my $20 LeapMotion so I can scratch the itch a bit. They sure are taking their time...

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Poetic Justice posted:

Also Jason Rubin reiterated it's this half of the year
https://twitter.com/Jason_Rubin/status/752904837029728257

I'm not touching that half, you naughty dog.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I feel ridiculous for having to ask this, but will NVidia VR Funhouse run on an AMD card? Will it even "run" in an intentionally gimped fashion?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Mordaedil posted:

Does it need four sensors for some reason when the Vive does fine with two?

Vive does fine but not perfect, there's nothing wrong with an option for more. I need to track my crotch scratching!

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFXCox8yZWY

NSFW?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Surprise Giraffe posted:

I still really want both headsets so I can try them out consecutively and hash out the pros and cons of the displays. I wonder how much of a difference the relative brightness of the vive makes for e.g. kind of wonder if that's not more of an advantage than you might imagine

I went to the Microsoft Store in Boston and got to try the Vive, there was no wait at all. Some Best Buy stores have a Rift demo.

I own a CV1 and after spending so much time with that then trying the Vive, my initial impressions were:

- the motion controllers put it in a whole different league and Rift needs to jam out theirs ASAP, but we already knew that

- the Vive has a bit more FOV but all that extra FOV was blurry and had some chromatic aberration even after getting my focus dialed in. Basically you can look to the edges on the CV1 and they're totally clear while the Vive is stuck with more of a sweet spot in the middle like a DK2, though not as severe. I'd definitely give the nod to the Rift's optics

- the Vive was actually comfy for me, it was pressing on my nose a bit but they were using a custom leather cover so that might have been doing something.

- on the other hand, I had to wear big honkin headphones, which made me appreciate the convenience of the Rift's actually really good built-in set

If you're concerned only with optic quality and nothing else, I'd say the Rift is better because is trades a bit of FOV for all of its FOV to be crystal clear. Still, it's a really small difference between the two, they are both OLED of the same resolution. The Vive gets you a more compelling experience right now, or you can wait a couple more months for Touch contollers and probably a lot of exclusive content to drop on the Rift.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Thor-Stryker posted:

Still waiting for a Mechwarrior/Pacific Rim game to come out so I can drive robots in 3D.

Vox Machinae says they're releasing by the end of 2016, and you can play the demo now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76WcqqxmKOA

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Cojawfee posted:

Is it a new demo?

I think it's that old demo.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Tamba posted:

You should be glad that it happened in this order?

My AC died so I put in a cooler filled with ice packs and plumbed one of the fans onto it, now I can buy all the VR games... Virtual Desktop is only 5% off though, that dude is stingy.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

DareToSlack posted:

Could be worse. My apartment burnt the gently caress down 2 weeks ago. My car literally melted in the parking lot below.

Bye bye, Vive!

Get your priorities straight, you know what you need to do.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Pi Mu Rho posted:

This is quite possibly the nerdiest accident ever.
My life-size Kylo Ren fell over, head-butted one of my monitors, which knocked both it and the Terminator bust that my Vive sat on onto the floor. Terminator died, Vive survived.

Why do you own an Adam Driver realdoll?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Eddy I saw you mentioned No Man's Sky in the GPU thread, I knew some stuff about the game but now I'm super pumped because I found out 65daysofstatic did their soundtrack and put it on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AWX54C49pw

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I guess this Avegant Glyph thing came out: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FIIU7JW?ref_=ams_ad_dp_ttl#customerReviews

Mixed reviews but seems promising. If they could work on the comfort and weight, I think that form factor could really take off.

Edit: Here's someone showing what it looks like through the lenses... if anyone finds a better video, post it up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uio_x76b5EA&t=308s

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 9, 2016

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Abu Dave posted:

someone should remake Dactyl Nightmare for modern headsets

Second time I've posted that someone did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iU9fwmZ-XmM

http://theriftarcade.com/market/downloads/dactyl-nightmare-2-0-old-school-vr/

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Cojawfee posted:

Not what you'd want it to be.

On the other hand, War Thunder is everything I wanted Eve Valkyrie to be. Free to play (and you can gently caress up the pay-to-win players with the starting biplanes if you're skilled/lucky), excellent drop-in arcade dogfighting that's always a minute away, and they even have tank fighting and mixed plane/tank maps where you can shoot a plane out of the sky with your tank's main gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

FormatAmerica posted:

No surprise but it's *extremely* well-implemented and nice to have something that launches smoothly from Oculus Home.

Looks like I'm going to be playing a lot of Minecraft!

Is the Oculus Home version of Minecraft totally free?

Microsoft was claiming that the Win 10 Beta Edition of Minecraft was free, but it turned out you still need to log in with a traditional account, which I don't have.