Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Aphex- posted:

Woah, google have just released Google Earth VR for the Vive. Everyone who's got one should check it out, it's awesome.

Yes Yes YES! If you're the kind of person who has spent hours on Google Maps/Street view before moving/vacation it's absolutely incredible. However be forewarned it's Google Earth Quality Imaging, not Maps/Street view so it's much lower res (can't seen most building signs for example).

You should seriously set aside a bit of time ASAP to try it out. I found it surprisingly emotional to look at all of the nearly ever location of I've lived, vacationed and worked.

I wonder if you can use the Google Earth data for games, because at mid scale (where they have 3d) it looks amazing, would be great for Gozilla scale RTS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Wow that would be f-ing horrible. VR has roughly 1/10th the res per eye degree compared to normal desktop 1080p gaming. Also the headset on your face is not comfortable. I could see using it in some extremely niche scenarios and it's good they are doing it but no one will want to do this often at home.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003
To talk Vive for a minute on the Touch day. Does anyone have an issue with the Vive earbuds falling out whenever you look up. I've found nearly everytime I look up more than 10 degrees the earbuds really want to fall out. I think it's the weight of the 3-1 cord pulling them out.

I have a set of closed ear cans with a short cord that can use but I like the earbuds if I could just keep them in my ear.

Now that I type this out I think it's likely that one or both of the loops from the ear is going under the 3 in 1 cable causing the issue. I'll try again after making sure I have a clear line from the ear buds over the 3-1.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003
People new to VR (or now spending tons of time due to touch). I strongly suggest adding a Window AC unit or nice strong fan some where you can walk into the path of in your play space. Overheating is extremely common (also a sign of impending Sim Sickness) and it's very nice to be able to just walk over and lower your face to a stream of cold air. I have a window AC unit that I keep running that lets me cool off and also helps keep me oriented since I can always tell from the sound/air which direction is +Z.

If you're starting to get hot, please cool off sim sickness is no joke and cooling off won't necessarily fix it since it's a symptom and not the cause. Also take a few days to ease in, once you feel sick stop playing for a bit. You own this and can take as long as you want.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

AndrewP posted:

Goddamn The Lab's Archery is good. Talk about nailing the (relative) feeling of a bow and arrow.

I'd suggest trying the QuiVR demo. I just tried it last night and they really nail also the archery castle defense. Also also a lot of fun multiplayer. And also Holopoint is great but exhausting.

Of course those games are 360 so probably won't work for standing Rift.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003
I made a LDJam Comp entry for Roomscale VR (Vive and possibly Rift+Touch).

https://beep2bleep.itch.io/red-and-blue
http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-37/?action=preview&uid=12112
Gameplay Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77fUFlr8hEw

Please give any feedback anywhere you can. I've been interested in making a Roomscale bullet hell since playing Xortex so I might continue.

I think the whole two controller/color thing might actually be too much to keep track of while playing. I think one controller for the ship like Xortex 26xx with the second controller doing something else might be best.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

wolrah posted:

I'm thinking about taking my Vive down to my parents' place for Christmas to show the family. What's everyone's favorite portable lighthouse mounting system?

I like the shower rod style setups that basically wedge between the floor and the ceiling because they seem like they'd be more stable than tripods, but my parents moved since I was last down there and I have no idea what kind of area I'll be able to set up in. A high or angled ceiling could be a problem for the shower rods.

Is there any such thing as a shower rod / tripod combo, where the floor end either has deployable tripod legs or could thread in to a base of some sort?

FYI you don't need to mount or place the lighthouses high. The main reason they suggest it is that it makes it less likely if someone else steps into the area they won't occlude (block) the line of sight between a lighthouse and the headset/controller. If it's just you in a play space you could even put the lighthouses on the ground.

The key is 1. They don't move 2. Nothing blocks them from the headset and controllers. This is easiest done mounted tilted down high.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

BMan posted:

You also might need to use the sync cable because your body could block line of sight between the lighthouses.

True you'd have to use the sync cable and switch the mode if they were both low. I've seen setups where one was high and the other one was on a desk and it worked fine but you're right they need to see each other.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

App13 posted:

Vive was my first VR experience and I can confirm that it made me feel really weird the first few times I tried it.

Reset your room if you move the lighthouses. The lighthouses retain state pretty well, I moved one of my lighthouses in 2 feet because it was being blocked by a monitor and when I went back in everything seemed fine until I walked into the wall since the chaperon showed was off by 2 feet.

Make sure you configure the floor with the touchpads down. When I reconfigured I didn't follow the exact instructions of the room setup and my floor was tilted about 6 inches left to right. This seemed fine but the next day I constantly felt like the world was tilted it took about 18 hours (8 hours sleep + 10 hours awake) before I finally felt that when I put my feet down they were in the right place.

In short sim sickness is real, it sucks, but you'll overcome it pretty fast.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

GlyphGryph posted:

I remember this, it was super weird. After my first long session it was like everything was slightly off and fake and not solid and also the wrong distance away.

Yes this also happened to me for the first few sessions. If you bought a headset I suggest taking your time getting used to VR. After a couple of sessions it passed (for me) and now it's just a cool tracking and display tech.

That said, when I messed up my floors I had a whole different type of issue that probably was legit sim sickness. The easy way to make sure your floors are setup correctly on Vive is to make sure both of the lighthouses are in the exact same spot in reality vs vr. If one is a couple of inches high/low that means your floor is calibrated at an angle and can be fixed if you follow the directions of room setup exactly.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

El Grillo posted:

Are there any games which implement sword fighting against AI better than Vanishing Realms? In that game the AI don't attempt to parry your strikes, they just continuously attack until you manage to successfully hit them. Still fun but it shouldn't be that hard for someone to implement something a bit more nuanced.. right?

Sword master seems a bit better but I'm confused as to what counts as a strike. Also take a look at Gorn (Free on Itch).

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

It has worked for me. Has the same occlusion issues that the vive has, just a smaller tracking area.

There are no occlusion issues with the Vive. You can do anything with the controllers and headset and will never have an issue except holding your hands up to adjust the headset. But don't say there are every occlusion issues with the vive because that's just not true you can crawl or walk to every wall. The only time I ever lose tracking is about 5 inches below my light house (I have them in the corners). But 99+% of the space is perfectly tracked, Rift does come close. Vive tracking is flat out better but the touch controllers are nicer and the vive is less comfortable.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

wolrah posted:

I'd say that two is mostly fine if you have an open play area with no "natural occlusion". Three with good placement would probably make it so you had to be actively trying to cause occlusion in those cases, four or five might make it basically impossible to do so without basically curling up in a ball.

I guess I must have an open play area with no natural occlusion. I did move my light house forward so the monitor wouldn't block it. Before I did that I would lose tracking on my controllers when I set them down on my desk (right outside play space). I can't get occlusion of the controllers without using two hands to wrap around the sensors. I can get occlusion of the headset if I go to a corner away form the lighthouses and then use a hand to cover the outside edges of the headset (when you adjust the headset).

I've been able to do nearly everything in every single corner of my playspace (except around one cubic foot in right blow/fornt of the lighthouses without no lost tracking. The Touch controllers I can't use about 20-40% of my space (in 360 mode). And even in the safe play space it's extremely easy to lose tracking. I wish someone would make the touch controllers with Vive tracking because they controllers are much better (feel better, have more inputs, much lighter).

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Songbearer posted:

goddamn am I really loving Sairento right now

Agreed Sairento is a great shooter. I kind of wish the enemies were a bit more aggressive I tend to be able to walk through the game even on level 8 of 10 enemies on the hardest difficulty level. If anyone starts playing it I'd suggest going into the settings and going up to the hardest difficulty you only have 1/4 the hitpoints. It makes you die in 6 or so bullets instead of 24.

If anyone cares here is a video of me, I'm pretty high level and have unlocked 5 different weapons. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dlErypBj6A The new build has a much better movement system than before.

Also I'm really enjoyed Knockout League. It's def. a standing room only game since you just need to be able to punch forward, and move left and right about 2 feet. It's basically Mike Tysons punch out except you have to duck, move left, right and sometimes raise your fists to block or punch.

Here's a video of my making struggling through the start of Knockout League.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMhE9Jbny2k
One negative on the game is that I saw almost all of the content (got to last form of 3rd or 4 current bosses in 44 minutes).

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Doesn't foveated rendering theoretically help with hardware specs because it only has to fully-render where your eyes are tracking?

Yes apparently it can reduce hardware requirements down 10X (According to the Abrash talk at Oculus Connect). Which would be good since for equivalent visuals to normal 1080p flatscreen play you need something like 7X the hardware. If we got fovated working we could have roughly the same graphics in VR as we do in non tracked flatscreen. If we get fovated working flatscreen gaming then we'd get a generation leap (or a free update from 1080p60 to 4k120).

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003
Sorry for moderately low content post but I just made a list of VR things I've done and how I felt about them. I figured this might be of interest to people and expose them to some things they hadn't of heard of.

Things I really liked
Gorn (Itch.io)
Freedom Locomotion (Although not that much there) (Itch.io)
Thrill of the Fight
Knockout League VR
SairentoVR
Serious Sam The Last Hope (Not much there when I played)
Space Pirate Trainer
Holopoint
AudioShield
Audiobeat
Rec Room (awesome)
SwordMaster VR
Lab Archery and Xortex 26XX
QuiVR (Good free archery coop)
Out Of Ammo (but not much there)
Superhot VR

Ok - So So
Bullet sorrow Demo
Chryslis Pyramid (Itch.io)
Cosmic Rift
Blast it! (Itch.io)
Universal Sandbox.Alpha
Arizona Sunshine
Dimension Hunters Demo
Fantastic Contraption
Job Simulator
Nightstar Demo
Raw Data
Selfie Tennis
Trickster VR
Vanishing Realms
Destinations
Bullet Train

Below OK
VR BaseBall (Hitting sim not much there)
Cargo Cult (first person boring shooter with some motion sickness issues)

Disliked
Adrift
Nick
Dues Ex VR Experience

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

The Grey posted:

What's wrong with Deus Ex experience? (Other then it just being an experience.)

Bad locomotion, and it's just some rooms I'd say it's not really worth the time/bandwidth to download.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Tibbeh posted:

So I'm planning on picking up a Vive with my tax return money. I'm already planning on buying Onward, Space Pirate Trainer and H3VR. Anyone have other must have buys for the Vive?

I'd say there are no must have buys right now. Get the headset try some free stuff/demos (Lab, Rec Room, Gorn come to mind first) before spending. Those are all great games but you might find you only care about social VR, or hate social VR.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

mellowjournalism posted:

Can you still play SuperhotVR with Revive? If so you pretty much have to

Yes it works great. Only thing that gets odd is at one point you have to use the trigger and grip button at the same time and the one screen prompt is for a touch controller so it's confusing.

I've only played it in revive and I ended up using most of my roomscale space. Apparently it works fine standing scale but I personally moved around and reached quite a bit when I played.

Proof it works in revive: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GRRNgGhOD8 Sorry for the low video quality, and frozen Vive camera pointing at my desk.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

El Grillo posted:

Also has anyone had a look at Sairento VR? Early access but I've heard a few good things about it: http://store.steampowered.com/search/?sort_by=Name_ASC&tags=-1&vrsupport=402&page=35

Yes I have as have a few others. The reviews are that it's amazing.

I have a few videos of playing it (not specifically a review), here is one.

This is towards the end game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dlErypBj6A

Unfortunately there isn't a ton there yet, and probably only about 6 hours of game play before you see everything it can do. But of all the things I've played it's probably near the top.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

The Walrus posted:

Okay so I'm going to spam the thread with this every day until sat:

Saturday! 1:00 ET! come hang out with internet people in VR. I'm open to suggestions for games but right now I'm thinking we should play:

1. Climbey - until our arms get tired
2. Serious Sam the First Encounter - shoot some fols
3. VRChat - It's free so maybe we can just start with this one? I strongly recommend we all use the skeleton skins and go around freakin people out with our skele ways.

So again, saturday at 1:00 ET. I'll post steam friend info in subsequent posts.

I'm surprised you wouldn't start with Rec Room. That's a good one that's on both platforms and free.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Senor Tron posted:

I'd take a cold over trying to use a VR headset in heat. My home office has west facing windows, meaning it gets all the afternoon and evening sun. Today has been 42 degrees C here and the only cooling in this room is a fan, using a VR headset for more than a few minutes is pretty much impossible.

If I did the math right that's 107 F, get a window AC unit holy hell. Using VR gets you hot so fast (roomscale exercise + covered face + sim sickness causes your head to heat up) I tend to want to run a window unit on high the whole time. Usually I try to get it down to 65 F or so when in VR even though it's a little too cold when outside VR.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003
Some more quick impressions:

Things I really liked
Ratchet nx (Honestly makes me feel like I could learn how to play Tennis/Racketball with enough practice) Change in skill was obvious in just a couple of minutes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7XHOk7ZeOk
Herobound: Spirit Champion (Oculus store) Good VR Zelda-like. Super generous checkpoints (every minute or so)
Landfall Open Beta (Oculus store) (Open Beta going again until 2/13). If you have a Rift, try this. I had some issues getting it working with Revive (would work for a bit but then stop).

Ok - So So
Dead Hungry Demo
Quell 4d (Good, but not great fps, tough checkpoints (10+ minutes) make it hard to push through, gave up)

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

NRVNQSR posted:

There is actually a Samsung VR store on the Gear VR. It's less prominent than the Oculus store, but I don't know if that's a contractual obligation for Samsung or whether they could choose to push their store instead of Oculus' in future. Obviously it would be a trade off for them, since Oculus' store has more content right now.

Samsung always hedges their bets, they always have their own app store. They've had multiple on Android for years and years now. I wouldn't look at it as anything except a backup plan for Samsung.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Icedude posted:

Rec Room Quest is fun but very hard. Most of my runs have ended up with me taking a fireball to the back of the head while trying to revive people, or watching helplessly as those barrel guys run riot through the rest of the party.

Also is there any point in carrying a sword once you've found a bow/crossbow for every party member? Melee just seems like a liability, what with the barrel guys and friendly fire from archers.

edit: Also gently caress the Paintball mode. Every match is just nothing but spawncamping or getting spawncamped.

FYI you can take in two bows from before the game and then pick up 2 bows so all 4 party members can have a bow to start. Agreed that melee seems like a liability everyone should work to get good with bows.

Also you can move while have a box shot ready, by using the touchpad to move with either hand. Very useful to keep dodging every couple of seconds while still ready to shoot when you land. I've never had a paintball match that gets to spawncamping or spawncamped, odd.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Warbird posted:

I was speaking with some VR startup guys tonight and they said you have to take a Valve offered class to get access to the software side of the lighthouse tracking stuff. Said class is also apparently booked up all to hell.

Anyone know if the Vive can track the controllers as well as a tracking puck? I heard tonight that it could only handle two objects.

SteamVR can track an unlimited number of objects. The only issue you have is when you start to fill a space up so much you have occlusion issues.

The Vive headset works with 2 controllers (as I understand it) to track additional controllers or those pucks you have to connect to the computer instead of the headset. As stated there is a current way to do it with a steam controller dongle that's been re flashed. Supposedly the HTC tracking pucks will come with a dedicated dongle just for that purpose.

EDIT: To be more specific, the Vive does not track anything, the lighthouses do not track anything. SteamVR allows you to have an unlimited number of tracked objects, because the objects track themselves. I've seen several Vive setups where they share the light houses and have 2 headsets with 2 controllers (for 6 total self tracking items) between just 2 lighthouses.

As it happens the way the Vive is setup the two controllers route their tracking information back to the headset and then down the wire along with the headset tracking information to the computer. This does make sense to increase reliability and reduce wireless traffic since it's assumed the Vive is specifically a setup of 1 headset and 2 controllers.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Feb 22, 2017

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Truga posted:

lovely opensource players like VLC and mpv support literally everything

Mostly because they are not beholden to legal requirements or licence fees less due to technical challenge. Same reason why VLC will play back many files (like DVDs) that the more legit but free/cheap players won't.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

iceaim posted:

I don't consider myself artistic enough to buy Tilt Brush (plus aren't there better vr paint apps out there now?)

(Not a qualified artist opinion, just from ease of use and output I've seen) I don't know of anything better than Tilt Brush. Oculus Medium and Quill seem somewhat close and are free with Oculus + Touch. They do seem to both have a different focus and Tilt Brush however.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

SEKCobra posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. One of my controllers isn't clicking on the touchpads up, left and right. I bought the Vive from a local store, has anyone tried RMAing through HTC in this case. My experience with the store makes me fear that they want me to take down the whole setup and return it in full :(

Do it, return it to the store. Esp. now that you can rebuy at same price and get a $200 video card for free. The vive reddit is full of tales of woe/pain dealing with HTC RMAs.

EX. https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/5zsqds/htc_claims_to_have_lost_my_rma_again/

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Phuzun posted:

Free things appear to be Lucky's Tale, Robo Recall, Dead & Buried, Quill, Medium, and First Contact (I think was the name).

Yes can confirm that list if you have Oculus + touch as someone who didn't preorder either. Bulletrain I believe is free althought not much of a game. Herobound: Spirit Champion is free, Henry (it's like a 5 minute cute movie). It appears Ripcoil is still free with any purchase. I just tested by buying a $.99 cent experience and Ripcoil showed up in my library immediately. I think Minecraft Win 10 is free as well.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

El Grillo posted:

Maybe it has something to do with the price difference/content difference between the two stores? The guy in the reddit post says: "A Steam purchase gives you access to the environment workshop while an Oculus Store one doesn't (hence the small price difference)."

Also it could be Oculus or the developer refusing to give keys for Steam Purchases. I don't think we have a statement either from Oculus or Steam so I'm not sure Steam has a stance on this yet.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Enos Cabell posted:

I do plan to buy Superhot first thing, since I've been waiting to play it until I had a headset.

Superhot VR is a totally separate product and purchase from Superhot. Superhot VR is awesome although very short. No opinion on Superhot.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Also:
Holopoint
Swordmaster VR

And Until a week ago Raw Data

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

jonathan posted:

Is there any studies on the effectiveness of ginger root/extract on reducing VR motion sickness ? I know in general it works for motion sickness, however I feel I will likely need it once I get my setup up and running. I'd rather use something like ginger over Benadryl or whatever.

You might be surprised, people seem to develop VR Legs pretty quickly. Also we are starting to get games with multiple locomotion options. I've personally very rarely had any significant motion sickness even with low frame rates and doing incredibly stupid things.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

SPACE HOMOS posted:

I saw this on the iRacing VR subforum, but the image was taken from the DCS forums.

Apparently setting pixel density from 1 to 1.5 isn't linear and most people are saying the sweet spot is 1.25 or 1.3

Many people report that past 1.4 they can't really notice any change in clarity. This also happen to be the default max of the Valve render used in most every Unity game.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

8one6 posted:

Yeah, if it worked natively on the Vive I'd already have Robo Recall, but I don't want to have to jack with a third party app (that may or may not exist in the future) on top of having to split my game library between two store fronts.

Robo Recall is ok, but being setup for front only is really annoying even for Oculus users. Once the future 360 patch drops you might want to consider it. I really wish Oculus would just state they are cool with Revive and will support it already.

I think people would even be cool with something like
"We support Revive in the current form, and any games purchased now will always work through our store using Revive (or just build a tool in house). We reserve the right to stop supporting Revive on future purchases if the Oculus platform progresses beyond SteamVR."

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

If Oculus supported Revive in any fashion, they'd be on the hook if anything went wrong with it. I think them no longer blocking it is the best we'll ever get unless they decide to start supporting the Vive natively.

Well they have stated that they have someone working to get Vive Audio working better through revive. Oculus is doing more then just not blocking Revive, but I really wish they'd commit enough to let people know that their purchases are safe across different headsets.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003
If anyone is interested in Vive, this is probably the best deal we've seen yet. Vive + 1060 for $839 from Amazon.

https://slickdeals.net/f/9991204-htc-vive-gtx-1060-6gb-video-card-839-free-shipping-with-prime

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

TescoBag posted:

Is there any hint of HTC annoucing a vive 2.0? Looking at getting one but don't want to invest if a new one is just around the corner!

I really don't think another one is right around the corner. The closest we've gotten from HTC is that they are looking to incorporate the upgraded audio strap and wireless into the Commercial (much more expensive) version. I think you'd be good with a Vive in that there won't be a Vive 2 for at least 2 years.

However, there are hints that we might have alternative Steam VR headsets shortly. LG has already demoed a headset although it wasn't final and hasn't announced any dates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Also Raw Data and Tilt brush are free on steam until Sunday.
Raw Data Free to play till Sunday http://store.steampowered.com/app/436320
Tilt Brush Free to play till Sunday http://store.steampowered.com/app/327140/ (with 50% sale, $14.99)

Viveport has a Free Arcade Saga Game and you can sign up for 1 month trial of subscription where you can pick 5 games per month.

http://www.roadtovr.com/htc-vive-anniversary-discount-sale-free-arcade-saga-viveport-subscription-launch/

Unfortunately the selection of the Viveport Subscription does not look very good.