Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Ho ho ho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Yeah they are rips I found from someone making paper models. They don't have bones or animations as far as I can tell, but there is a file that looks like it has XML in it with phases and angles for the legs so I think they just rotated according to a sine wave or something. I'll play around with it. Only the legs really animated anyway. Need to find the cockpits too.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I found an open source MW2 VM or something. Worth looking at I guess http://www.mech2.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=313

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I tried the Vox Machine demo a long time ago and it was pretty good.

Going with the old MW2 graphics gives a lot of leeway for having all the assets look kind of crummy and they are such low poly you could have a million of them on screen and it would be okay. Procedural generation of mechs is probably not too bad either if their walk cycles are based on a sine wave. I'd probably do the cockpits like MW2 and a hud the way Elite Dangerous does, where everything is in 3D space as a kind of hologram. I think that would fit perfectly.

I have to admit I didn't look at the stuff I found on the mech2 forums at all, but I'm sure someone out there knows how a lot of the MW2 engine worked. Not that it matters if you want to make a new mech game that just looks like MW2 but in VR.

Totally doable though I think.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I really like Eagle Flight. It's probably too much money for the game it is, but it's a great experience to feel like a bird flying around. It just made me really happy.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Touch controls showed up today. Only room I have with high ceilings has a Christmas tree setup in it. LED Christmas lights are probably hell on tracking.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

I don't think christmas tree LEDs produce enough IR light to bother the touch cameras. Even if they do pick them up, they won't be blinking at the right rate to be considered part of a rift or touch controller.

We're going to find out because my basement is too low. I punched the ceiling already. Wife took the kids swimming so while she's gone I'm going to redecorate. :v:

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I shoved my coffee table out of the way and put my two tracking cameras on top of my tower speakers on either side of my TV. Wife came home and wasn't pleased, but then she tried it. She hasn't cared for VR before but she played for almost two hours and now she wants to figure out how to fit my PC into the living room nicely.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

AndrewP posted:

this right here is probably the most valuable thing Oculus has going for it. Versatility and ease of use is no small thing

Yeah, I'd almost get a new computer in a small case just for VR but really I can just move the PC I have and it's just a few USB cables to plug in when I want to do room scale and it only takes a few minutes to do. Maybe when I'm ready to upgrade.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I showed a buddy of mine VR with my Rift and Touch controllers and he was freaking out about how great it was. Then he was concerned if he got one he wouldn't stop using it ever. Then he started acting strange and said his hands and brain felt weird. He only did the intro demo with the robot and disks so maybe like 15 minutes in VR. I never had anything like that before.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
My couch is along one edge of my space so I sat down to use medium and I had to remind myself that the couch was solid and real and I could in fact put my weight on it. Not like the fake furniture in VR I keep almost falling through.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

Basic Chunnel posted:

Anybody have a good DIY solution for mounting oculus sensors on ceilings?

Swivel Wall Ball Head Mount Bracket for CCTV Security Camera

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Something was wrong with the setup then.

Edit: All systems have their tracking problems if they aren't setup properly or there is junk in the room they can't handle. Obviously the Vive tracking works but if you go back and read the thread you will find plenty of people had tracking problems with their Vive until they figured out whatever it was that was messing things up. Same deal for the Rift. I setup my Rift in front of my TV with the two sensors on my tower speakers something like 8' apart canted in a bit and it gives almost 360 tracking because as long as one sensor can see your hand it still works. Then I tried them it opposing corners on my light stands and that worked too, no problems. It really seems like you are trying to justify the Vive over the Rift to yourself and it's just not that stark of a difference. They both have pros and cons and you really can't go wrong with either.

TomR fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 27, 2016

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
The threads the Oculus cameras use are the 1/4" standard that has been used in photography, speakers stands etc. for years so there should be a ton of things that work. It's literally a 1/4" bolt thread like you would find at the hardware store.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I had people over for Christmas breakfast and everyone loved doing first contact. Even my Mother in law who never plays games and is bad with computers needed almost no instructions and got right into it. Her husband was really interested in getting one until the price of the computer to run it was factored in. They had never heard of VR other than when I was talking about it with family around them but they just brushed it off as some video game garbage until they tried it.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
People don't want to jump ship on Steam because if it ever went under they would be out all their games!

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Lots of "Windows 10 VR" HMDs shown off at CES. No real solutions for hand tracking but the HMDs all use a pair of cameras on the front for tracking and have high res displays. One of them says 120hz refresh too. http://www.techradar.com/news/heres-what-the-first-wave-of-windows-10-vr-headsets-look-like
Microsoft just needs to put out a VR version of the Xbox controller, I'm thinking something similar to Oculus Touch, and you have the future of VR. Acer and Dell. :v:

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Yes, I know. I mean how you can go buy an Xbox controller and expect it to work with pretty much any game on your PC that has controller support. A universal VR controller if you will. I hope this Windows 10 VR stuff is good because let's face it, Windows is pretty much the only platform where high end GPUs really shine and other than consoles that's where all the games are anyway.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
It's more of a game engine problem than a headset problem. But only a fraction of people who use a game engine will have VR and two graphics cards so the pressure to optimize for that is very low.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I dunno, you use them enough and your pinky finger learns to hold on and it feels natural.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Yeah the wireless gizmo seems to actually work which is a nice surprise. VR moving pretty fast.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Ew gross.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

And it'll all go right in the bin once the headsets with inside-out positional tracking start coming out :v:.

There are a whole bunch coming too. Though none of them have tracked hand controllers that also use inside out tracking. I saw one with crummy looking wands and a single tracking camera. Garbage.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Looks like some new VR stuff coming in March. Again no tracked controllers, but I think VR hardware development is going to speed up a ton. It's not going to be Vive and Oculus only for long.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3158222/virtual-reality/microsofts-first-tethered-windows-10-vr-headsets-to-ship-in-march.html

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Multiple inside out tracked devices could share data about the room they see to the host computer and automatically locate themselves in relation to each other. You would have to turn them around enough for them to see the same stuff in the room to sync up, but after that it should be fine. Keep in mind most tracking is done by IMUs and the rest of the tracking is about stopping drift.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I'm waiting to see the Windows 10 VR API so we know if it has support for tracked controllers. It it does that means you'll be able to mix and match controllers and headsets that use the platform.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Not a lot of hard details yet, but it looks like the next wave of VR headsets all use a stereoscopic depth camera setup to do tracking without any base stations. Screen res of 1440x1440, though possibly only 60hz. They are lighter though, seems they are around 350g vs 550g for the Vive. Also they seem to all use the PSVR style headband with flip up screen, which people seem to like. There are a million ways to improve VR other than screen res though. Lighter, more comfortable, better optics. Even the software makes a huge difference at this point. It will be very interesting to see what comes out in March, even if it's just to know if the Microsoft Holographic platform is garbage or not.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Yes, but I can't find solid details on any of the headsets.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Yeah that's the idea.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Eye tracking already works on a flat screen, nobody supports it. http://www.tobii.com/group/about/this-is-eye-tracking/

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

Truga posted:

Imagine what it could do to advertising though? Product placement would get a whole new meaning.

Do we know why?

Probably chicken and egg problem plus cost of hardware also it's newish and unless it works 100% perfectly all the time you can't use it.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Should put this tech on all flat displays.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I doubt we'll see it, but Oculus could put out a revision of the Rift with better lenses, or a slight redesign to get costs down. HTC could put out a more comfortable Vive, better lenses etc. Not a huge update but something. I'm more thinking that other companies are going to be bringing out headsets that have small advantages in some areas putting pressure on them. Probably the biggest thing we will see is costs coming down with more competition.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

I look forward to getting the better Vive Strap, but that's more of an addon. Updating the lenses on the Rift just adds more R&D costs that have to be made up on something they already claim they are losing money on.

I'm sure they are doing R&D on lenses as we speak. They can't just sit around and not develop better lenses if they want to put out a better product in the future. Lenses are probably near the top of the list for things wrong with the current gen headsets. Keep in mind if the panel size stays the same they could use the same lens design across multiple headsets while only improving the panel until it outstrips the lens's ability to resolve detail.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Wider FOV also makes foveated rendering more useful so hopefully they come together. Like I said I don't expect Oculus or HTC to release a 1.5 version with different lenses, I'm just making the point that there are a lot of things they could be working on to make the headsets better, and I'm sure they are. I also have high hopes for everything else coming. It'd be nice to see a huge slew of VR devices come that aren't all garbage or somehow worse than what we already have.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
This is super cool. A Vive and Hololens working together.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPYb2IsZL68

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

Pi Mu Rho posted:

I needed two volunteers to do some headset position testing for something I'm working on. Must be able to sit still for extended periods without complaining. Functional limbs not required.

You got some strange friends.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
No, you are just at the maximum allowable retarded face for VR, that's all.

Worst thing about VR is you can't use it when you have a cold. Or maybe that's the worst thing about having a cold, no VR.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I never considered someone would have a computer in such heat. I don't like it to go over 24 degrees. I am in Canada though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

Good. Now we can all armchair about how long it will take for them to bring it to market etc.