Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Also try the cord to connect the two stations & turn them to the related setting (a & c?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

That 18.5% must include all rifts on steam too, right?

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

i'm curious what percentage of that percentage then is vive owners just standing, and how many monitors they've punched

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Ciaphas posted:

Guess you guys are right, mainstream VR's probably not for me yet. I'm not much of a simmer, I just think having actual VR at home is the coolest damned thing.

well it is the coolest drat thing, though

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

the chaperone is extremely useful especially for demos, even if it can't save you from punching the wall when you set the bounds an inch from it

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Poetic Justice posted:

Even using both cams in front, it's looking pretty good!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLrcZHZ14Yo

what are those red splotches (honeycombs?) on the screen occasionally? and where are the cameras, on the shelf under the tv?

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Cojawfee posted:

I'm guessing those are his version of chaperone. One camera is on the left next to a speaker and the other is on the right in the corner.

that's what i figured, but it seemed like where it showed up first he eventually moved passed it. My other guess was something to do with being obscured from the cameras (though that doesn't make much sense if the rest of the area was fine)

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Tom Guycot posted:

I wish I could remember what game I'm thinking of, it had like aliens vs humans, it was like a class based thing or something that ripped off aliens. The more I picture this star trek game done right, the more excited I get at the idea. And hey, even if its bland, maybe there will be plenty of clones that do it right. How great would it be to have multiplayer battles, crew vs crew, your console exploding into sparks while someone in a red shirt off in the corner falls over dead in a cloud of smoke?

i think you're thinking of natural selection

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

any better options yet for streaming the steamvr mirror to a tv using chromecast (i guess just besides the desktop experimental)? What about streaming to another computer (surface), or a raspberry pi maybe?

Tweak fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 26, 2016

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

thinking about the reasons the unseen diplomacy devs had for not implementing rift support, are the touch controllers fragile? I know I've nailed the wall/ceiling numerous times with my Vive wands and they still manage to work, but just judging from pictures touch looks look like they would have shattered by now had I or some friends used them too close to the wall.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

or just get a vive and have a healthy conscious

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

i think you'd have to be pretty lovely at plugging in the vive wands when you're done since I routinely forget and I've never had to stop playing to recharge

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

i wonder if there is something else going on because it seems weird that you would have such a polar opposite experience

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

certainly abnormal usage then, and that seems indicative of a good battery

Tweak fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Oct 2, 2016

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

so oculus roomscale is 4 usb ports plus 3 usb wires surrounding your room?

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I'm honestly trying to think of a game that is advertised as roomscale that I still treated as just standing 360. Maybe Job Simulator, when you're stuck in an office cube? I guess Holopoint comes close, but I still move around the space they offer a lot. Yea most games offer a teleport so you don't have to move but even in Destinations I still walk around the area, why the hell wouldn't you? Like sure you reset to center in SPT after a round but if you aren't using the whole room to play what are you even doing.

Roomscale, the scale of the room, was that implied to ever be something besides moving around a room? I guess that's the joke and if so it's a weird one.

Tweak fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 7, 2016

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

i always assumed setting it to standing mode or whatever just made the chaperone encase me like a coffin, so I wouldn't wander away specifically. I've never actually tried it since the other option involved walking around the room

edit:

w00tazn posted:

Like if the definition was 15 ft x 15ft with no loss of tracking for 90% of the volume

something like that, yea. The distinction I guess between, "well you could do (something like) that" and, "you do that because it's the whole point"

Tweak fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 7, 2016

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I certainly have had to convince people to move around, but it's more because they're skiddish and/or don't understand they can, as opposed to, "oh pfft teleport why would I use these stupid legs then?"

IN MY DAY we WALKED around our virtual reality rooms :colbert:

edit: then again the replays I've done of something like budget cuts is teleport city :E

Tweak fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Oct 7, 2016

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

how much does my VRabilitying increase with each additional camera

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

i thought it was pretty cool until i was shown by some poo poo rando blog that it is, actually, not

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

it's cool, like almost every other form of media

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

do your glasses not fit even after extending the vive lenses out? Unless you mean your glasses actually can't fit inside at all in which case how giant are your glasses? :S

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

it was obviously a post in jest since it implied the rift was somehow better than the vive (the greatest HMD ever sent to earth)

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Fooz posted:

Why's that? The roomscale oculus total is 80$ more, but the quality is more than 80$ better IMO. Plus more/better software. Unless you have a huge playspace and want to use all of it.

how is the roomscale 80 dollars better?

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Falken posted:

Well, I found that it was a picture on my wall that was causing my sudden tracking losses. Covered that fucker with a towel and I've never had such good coverage with the vive!

I too thought I broke something with my Vive when I moved things around my house and my tracking got noticibly worse. "Oh hey maybe it's these glass framed records hanging up right next to the new lighthouse location :downs:" I am starting to wonder though if some new and occasional tracking issues are due to a heating vent being close to one of the lighthouses and causing it to lose connection/restart. Hasn't happened very often but aside from the fact I'm outside the recommended distance (but still not warehouse size like the hover junkers guys) I can't figure out why it just started to happen recently (and inconsistently) otherwise.

Knifegrab posted:

Setup is much easier for the Vive IMO, yes mounting the sensors is a tiny PITA but the time I spent with the rift and its over-adundance of USB cables really rubbed me the wrong way. Having to get a super long USB cable to run all along the perimeter of my room to do proper roomscale was not that nice.

I still have no idea how no one minds laying long cables for these cameras throughout their room all connected to your computer but drilling holes into your wall was a bridge too far in April (even if you rent).

Tweak fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Dec 9, 2016

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

AgentF posted:

After playing it for about an hour my Vive cord was hopelessly twisted up and became so short it was an active hazard. I had to spin my headset about 30 times clockwise before the cable returned to normal. I guess I must be turning to the left a lot.

try hollowpoint if you want to twist it up in a fraction of the time!

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

the covers from here: https://vrcover.com are a little annoying to put on, but not so difficult you couldn't figure it out in a minute or two (full disclosure: I needed a youtube video to figure it out though :downs:).

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Rectus posted:

I somehow managed to make a skiing thing for Destinations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlVX3DNCFoA

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=851765393

Anyone want to test it to see if you get motion sick?

It's great! only wish the run was longer or that I could go faster (though maybe I just needed to push more). Escaping it took me a second to figure out though since the menu freaks out if you're moving. I had to steady myself with one pole while I picked from the destination's menu with the other.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

GlyphGryph posted:

Huh, where did my post go.

Anyway, I'll repeat what I said last night:

Holy poo poo guys GORN with two people is incredible fun.

Like, just give someone else one of the controllers. Amazing. Like five times better than normal GORN.

Is the other person just flailing wildly/judging from a nearby screen? How are they supposed to see?

I did finally get to trying GORN the other night and it is pretty fun, picking a guy up by their head then bashing their face in with my fist was pretty great (which then necessitated some introspection over why it was for me).

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

If the controller's are flying away from you or just in general not tracking well, check for reflective surfaces in your area and make sure the lighthouses can see each other & you without anything in the way. Usually if my controllers are flying away it's usually because of either occlusion or a reflective surface- assuming I put my wrist straps on.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

unsurprisingly, higher quality products typically cost more than inferior ones :haw:

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I'm sure the battery issue is real but it is also largely uncommon, I'm not sure that anyone should seriously worry about it.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

It just seems very much like worrying about any number of my other household items suddenly breaking, or a meteor hitting my house. Of things to point out as problems for the Vive or any product that uses lithium batteries it seems somewhat reaching. If this is a grave concern for anyone then yes buy a rift, and hope that any number of their peripherals don't also break, I guess.

Tweak fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Apr 15, 2017

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

"If this rather unlikely thing happens then youre probably SOL for an easy fix"

I fully expect my controller batteries to be dead in my drawer now

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I think the point is the vast majority of people won't have to deal with the vendor because issues like this are rare, so don't spend time worrying about it in the same way you wouldn't worry about your phone.

Tweak fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Apr 15, 2017

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I was wishing I could kick people in GORN just yesterday, or at least heads like a soccer ball

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

youve run 4 usb cords from your computer to cameras in each of the four corners of a room?

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

talking about why you like one HMD over the other = console warrior

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Cojawfee posted:

I'd say it's more getting mad that someone conceivably likes a headset that isn't the one that you have.

it's thrown around far too liberally to be just, "lol u mad"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Is the first quality of life improvement when you buy a rift to cover up that huge open nose gap with electrical tape? Because man I'll blame any perceived lower quality compared to the Vive on the lovely indie game I was playing but I could seriously not get over that hole.

Tweak fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Nov 22, 2017